PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about making the playoffs

Anthem
03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
It's still tricky. With less than 20 games to go, we're 3 losses back from Chicago for the #8 spot. On the other hand, Chicago has a tough schedule for the rest of the month, while we're continuing in our easy stretch. Best of all, we play them twice this month. If we win both times, we can definitely overtake them in the standings. One win, and it's still possible. Two losses, and we're toast.

I've been skeptical since before the season started, but for the first time I'm looking at the team and thinking we could actually make it to that #8 spot. Crazy.

Am I the only one?

deekay85
03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I've been skeptical since before the season started, but for the first time I'm looking at the team and thinking we could actually make it to that #8 spot. Crazy.

Am I the only one?

No!

This is exact my point of view, too. At the moment I'm very optimistic of the fact that we can make it to the PO, it would GREAT!!

On the other side we have to overcome teams like charlotte, who won 6 in a row and continuing getting better and better.

It'll be a tough fight for the last spot. And I really hope we can do it!!

Hicks
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
It still feels like a long shot to me, but only because I keep thinking they can't keep up this many wins through the rest of the way. But then again, this team is notorious for doing what it's not supposed to do.

Justin Tyme
03-08-2009, 09:41 AM
It's still tricky. With less than 20 games to go, we're 3 losses back from Chicago for the #8 spot. On the other hand, Chicago has a tough schedule for the rest of the month, while we're continuing in our easy stretch. Best of all, we play them twice this month. If we win both times, we can definitely overtake them in the standings. One win, and it's still possible. Two losses, and we're toast.

Am I the only one?

I'm sure you aren't the only one, but I don't see it happening. You are discounting other teams such as Charlotte and Milwaukee. Brown has the Bobcats playing well and Skiles has the Bucks hanging around as well.

The Pacers next 2 games are going to be tough to win with Utah on the 10th and Atlanta at Atlanta on the 13th. The Pacers with a record of 28-37 have 17 games left to play, and if they lose those 2 games tough row to hoe to make the playoffs. For the Simons, it would be nice if they made it to the playoffs, but I'm in the camp that losing teams shouldn't be in the playoffs. JMOAA

Einstein
03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I became a member of this board as I decided to follow the Pacer's playoff run. I just felt this team had the right stuff to do it. Injuries have made this a much tougher road for us (at least looking forward).

The one good thing about making the playoffs is that the Pacers will have to take it. There could be no "limping" in this year. They are behind in the standings and they must play their principal opponent (Chicago) twice as well as all other teams in hunt once.

I guess to cut it down, making the playoffs from here would really mean something. Even with a losing record, the team and its fans could be proud of the accomplishment.

Also, with Danny back and our reputation for giant killers, the Pacer's first round might prove to be very interesting (at least from a TV marketing standpoint).

duke dynamite
03-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Anything to make the season last longer.

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/V8lT1o0sDwI&hl=en&fs=1 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

count55
03-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I had stopped worrying about the playoffs during our swoon before the All-Star break. Now, I just look at each game individually and hope for a win. I also hope to see the team play better, at both ends of the court. Finally, I want to see Rush and Hibbert get some minutes and get some improvement.

It makes it nice, because I've been largely satisfied. We're 7-4 since the break, and the only real clunker was the Charlotte game.

If we make the playoffs, great. If we don't, it will be mildly disappointing, but not heartbreaking.

I'm more focused on seeing Roy get more consistent, and Brandon finding an offensive game to go with his play on the defensive end. I'm also curious to see how Danny blends back into the mix.

duke dynamite
03-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Finally, I want to see Rush and Hibbert get some minutes and get some improvement.

But they have been.

Sollozzo
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
But they have been.

Yes they have.

Like I posted in another thread, Brandon got less than 20 minutes only twice in February and Roy got less than 15 only 4 times. I get the feeling that if Roy didn't fouls so much that Obie would play him more every game.

They are coming along fine. With hard work this summer their games will only improve and they will be serious contributors for us next year.

count55
03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
But they have been.

Yes they have.

Like I posted in another thread, Brandon got less than 20 minutes only twice in February and Roy got less than 15 only 4 times. I get the feeling that if Roy didn't fouls so much that Obie would play him more every game.

They are coming along fine. With hard work this summer their games will only improve and they will be serious contributors for us next year.

I wasn't saying that they weren't. I was basically saying that (among other things) was what I wanted every game, and I've been largely satisfied since the break.

I do wish Rush could at least find his way to average, offensively, but basically I was saying I don't have much, if anything, to complain about these days.

MyFavMartin
03-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Wish they played against the Clips more like they did against the Blazers...

The latter team gives you playoff hopes.

The former makes you scream to the basketball gods, "WHY!!!???"

duke dynamite
03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I wasn't saying that they weren't. I was basically saying that (among other things) was what I wanted every game, and I've been largely satisfied since the break.

I do wish Rush could at least find his way to average, offensively, but basically I was saying I don't have much, if anything, to complain about these days.
Well, that is all up to Rush. He has shown us that he can play at a decent level for a rookie. He is just so inconsistent. It stinks! He will find his stride, though.

rexnom
03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
One thing we've got going for us each year is that some teams seemingly give up towards the end and play for lottery spots while we push on for the playoffs.

CableKC
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
We have 2 games over the next 5 days....not bad.....I really think that everyone needs the rest. Hopefully, Granger and Hibbert will be back by Tuesday against the Jazz.

Kstat
03-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't see anybody stopping the bobcats from taking that #8 spot.

chrisjacobs7
03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I think we have a small chance, but I don't see us making it. Charlotte or Milwaukee is going to get that 8 spot.

count55
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't see anybody stopping the bobcats from taking that #8 spot.

Yeah, they do seem to be the best of the pack. I was thoroughly unimpressed with Chicago, and it looks like Milwaukee's starting to feel the impact of the lost players (3-7 last 10 games). I was never a huge fan of NJ.

The Pacers schedule is pretty favorable though: 11 home, 6 road. The 6 road games aren't daunting. The two against Atlanta are the only ones against a winning team, and they play at Chicago and at Charlotte.

Charlotte, meanwhile, has 11 road games, including a four-game trip to end the season.

idioteque
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I would be thrilled to make the playoffs. It would be incredibly difficult to beat Cleveland or Boston, but we have played Cleveland close 2 of the 3 times we played them and beat them once, same with Boston (even though we blew them out when we beat them). I think we could at least give either team a run for their money and win a couple of games. I don't think there's any way either team would sweep us. It would be a good experience for some of our core guys and the guys I want in the draft are mid first round players anyway.

Major Cold
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Bucks will not pass us. They are slipping. But the Cats are turning the corner.

Sollozzo
03-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, they do seem to be the best of the pack. I was thoroughly unimpressed with Chicago, and it looks like Milwaukee's starting to feel the impact of the lost players (3-7 last 10 games). I was never a huge fan of NJ.

The Pacers schedule is pretty favorable though: 11 home, 6 road. The 6 road games aren't daunting. The two against Atlanta are the only ones against a winning team, and they play at Chicago and at Charlotte.

Charlotte, meanwhile, has 11 road games, including a four-game trip to end the season.

I agree with you about the Bobcats. The fact that they are a Larry Brown coached team gives them a good advantage, IMO.

But I think we have a chance. We have quietly become a pretty good team at home this season. We have won about 60 percent of home games, so if we can keep that pace we will win 6 or 7. Hopefully we can do a little better and win 8 or 9.

I think those games in Atlanta, Chicago, and Charlotte will be tough to win. If we could just win half of the road games I'd be thrilled. I'll call a win in Toronto, Chicago, and Oklahoma City.

I think we'll finish 11-6 to give us a 39-43 record and will be just a hair out of it.

pianoman
03-08-2009, 02:12 PM
man, wouldn't it be nice to break even this season and be 41-41? believe it or not, it's still possible. We must win the Utah and Atlanta games to really give us a boost in the standings.

Anthem
03-08-2009, 02:19 PM
man, wouldn't it be nice to break even this season and be 41-41? believe it or not, it's still possible. We must win the Utah and Atlanta games to really give us a boost in the standings.
Mathematically possible, but not even close to realistic. I just don't see us going 13-4 to end the season, even at my most optimistic.

Anthem
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm in the camp that losing teams shouldn't be in the playoffs.
Which I don't disagree with. But if there's going to be a losing team in the playoffs--and there will be--I'd like for it to be us.

Putnam
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
http://bvml.org/SBBTM/grfx/buddha.jpg

1. All life is suffering.
2. All suffering springs from desire.
3. The end of suffering is possible.
4. Suffering is ended by detachment from desire.

I just look at each game individually and hope for a win. I also hope to see the team play better, at both ends of the court. Finally, I want to see Rush and Hibbert get some minutes and get some improvement. It makes it nice, because I've been largely satisfied.

Smart man.

I'm mean, it's fine to speculate and predict if you want to. But the guy who simply enjoys the games is going to have better karma.

Infinite MAN_force
03-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Yeah, thats a pretty accurate assesment. I think Jersey, Chicago, and Milwaukee will fall out, and it will come down to Indy and Charlotte fighting it out for that last spot. My gut is telling me not to get my hopes up. In fact we will probably finish one game out.... again.

Pacers will get the 13th pick and draft Ty Lawson. This is my prediction.

Jonathan
03-08-2009, 08:46 PM
JOB is a better coach than Del Negro.

The Pacers have made zero roster moves. The Bulls made several

Both these favor us along with the schedule.

Chicago has more talent but we have more heart.

Miller4ever
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
since we got not chance to get ricky rubio.. id prefer to use our last cartridges to make the playoffs.. it will help to raise the pacers budget :)

Kemo
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
since we got not chance to get ricky rubio.. id prefer to use our last cartridges to make the playoffs.. it will help to raise the pacers budget :)

All I know , is I sure hope Rubio don't get picked by a team I can't stand ..lol

Because whoever he plays for , is gonna automatically become my 2nd fav team next to the Pacers... The guy is amazing for his age, even when he was 15 yrs old he was better than a good number of nba pg's already in the league.. That in itself is astounding...Rubio is the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson heh ..

I may be wrong about alot of things, but I don't think I am about this one...

Can you tell I'm a Rubio mark?

lol

joeyd
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't think the Bobcats will make it. They have about 10 games against teams that are currently holding playoff spots in the East or West, and a couple of games against teams like us that are jockeying for the last spots. And as I'd said before, don't be surprised if Philly folds. I really think we are playing for the 7th and 8th spots.

The Pacers' main goal this season was to make the playoffs; they really didn't talk much about a win total to the best of my recollection. They have played hard all year (only a couple of lop-sided losses, as I recall) and I hope they realize their season-long goal. Not many teams can be without 40% of their starters for the number of games we have, and still be in the playoff hunt.

Naptown_Seth
03-09-2009, 03:43 AM

Am I the only one?
I'm there too. The odds have been long all year and yet it almost seems more reasonable now than ever. Then again they've been in good shape before and then dropped 2-3 games they had no business losing, which is how we got to this point in the first place.

Naptown_Seth
03-09-2009, 03:47 AM
One thing we've got going for us each year is that some teams seemingly give up towards the end and play for lottery spots while we push on for the playoffs.
I agree with this. Like Count I want to see the kids play, but in a reasonable fashion. I'd never want to see some punt where you blatently let them flounder for 40 minutes on your way to piling up lottery pick losses.

Heck, after seeing Terrence Williams playing so well for Louisville and yet still ranked out of the lottery (for now), I have renewed hope that the Pacers still could get a bump from the draft despite making the playoffs.

2minutes twowa
03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I see the Pacers going 9-9 or 10-8 in their last 18 games. This gives them a season record of 37-45 or 38-44. Unless all four teams ahead of them take a dramatic nose dive, that's not going to be enough to grab the 8th seed. The good news is, they play 3 out of the 4 teams at least once. Including 2 games against the Bulls.

Dr. Goldfoot
03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
The schedule isn't all that great for the Pacers from here on out. Outside of Toronto, OKC & Washington, I see trouble ahead. A few teams on hot streaks, games against teams fighting for the same playoff ground and of course those teams miles ahead of the Pacers.

I see 13 games with playoff implications for the opponent remaining on the schedule and basically all 17 do for the Pacers.

Not impossible but not expected either.

DisplacedKnick
03-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I think it comes down to Charlotte, Chicago and the Pacers for the 8th seed. I haven't figured out the Bulls yet this year. Both Indy and the Bobcats have turned the corner.

Milwaukee's too hurt and I just don't care for the Nets though they've been better than I expected this year. I don't see Philly falling out though - they're actually a pretty decent team even though they've hit a rough patch.

Unclebuck
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I see the Pacers going 9-9 or 10-8 in their last 18 games. This gives them a season record of 37-45 or 38-44. Unless all four teams ahead of them take a dramatic nose dive, that's not going to be enough to grab the 8th seed. The good news is, they play 3 out of the 4 teams at least once. Including 2 games against the Bulls.

Pacers have 17 games left.

I think 10-7 is very possible which would make then 38-44 - but I don't think that will get them in. I'm confident that 40 wins will, 39 is probably the number needed to get in.

If they get 38 wins, that will be a 2 game improvement over last season and I thinbk a step forward (whether they make the playoffs or not)

Speed
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I've been pointing to the last 14 games of the season, if you are close. They have 10 of 14 at home, where the Pacers have been tough.

pwee31
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
It'll come down to the Bulls, Bobcats, Nets and Pacers. I just don't see the Bucks hanging on, and they've surprised me with what they've done so far.

It'll be interesting what happens with Deng when it comes to the Bulls. They still have talent without him, but I think he's valuable on both ends of the floor

The Bobcats worry me because they have been playing well, and they have a nice mixture of vets and young talent.

The Nets of course have Devin Harris and Vince Carter who can both have big games.. as well as an emerging Brook Lopez.

I think the race will be extremely tight with teams in the mix beating one another to keep other teams close.

I'm actually still optimistic about Philly dropping. I just look at that team for some reason, and I can't believe their record is what it is. Andre Miller is solid, Iggy does his thing, and Thaddeus and Lou Williams have moments. Speights looks promising, but I just don't see them as a playoff team. If you don't turnover the ball, the 76ers a very beatable to me. They'll probably hang on, but I'm not confident about saying that at all.

I just hope we can win games and keep putting pressure on those around us.

pwee31
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
we're not making anything, if Ben Gordon keeps having nights like he's having in Miami tonight.

cgg
03-09-2009, 09:08 PM
He's only 7 of 8 from 3. At least he missed a free throw.

pwee31
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
He's only 7 of 8 from 3. At least he missed a free throw.

And Wade made him pay! Hope the Heat can pull it off in OT, we could have a chance to pull within a game 2morrow

duke dynamite
03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Awfully close....

duke dynamite
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
And Wade misses both free throws...

pwee31
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Wow Wade.. all these great plays and you miss 2 freebies and leave the door open. The HEAT will be in trouble if this goes to double OT

rexnom
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow, I just took a look at the standings. Whoa boy. We've got some work to do. Every loss is big from now on. I don't think we can afford more than 6 more losses.

pwee31
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
And he misses a layup to win the game!! The Pacers have bad luck even when they aren't playing? Why didn't he just dunk the thing?!!?!

docpaul
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
It'll come down to the Bulls, Bobcats, Nets and Pacers. I just don't see the Bucks hanging on, and they've surprised me with what they've done so far.

It'll be interesting what happens with Deng when it comes to the Bulls. They still have talent without him, but I think he's valuable on both ends of the floor

The Bobcats worry me because they have been playing well, and they have a nice mixture of vets and young talent.

The Nets of course have Devin Harris and Vince Carter who can both have big games.. as well as an emerging Brook Lopez.

I think the race will be extremely tight with teams in the mix beating one another to keep other teams close.

I'm actually still optimistic about Philly dropping. I just look at that team for some reason, and I can't believe their record is what it is. Andre Miller is solid, Iggy does his thing, and Thaddeus and Lou Williams have moments. Speights looks promising, but I just don't see them as a playoff team. If you don't turnover the ball, the 76ers a very beatable to me. They'll probably hang on, but I'm not confident about saying that at all.

I just hope we can win games and keep putting pressure on those around us.

I generally agree with this... the one thing I'd add to this is that it looks pretty clear that 5 teams are absolute playoff locks:

Cleveland
Boston
Orlando
Atlanta
Detroit

Miami and Philadelphia are fading... and aren't necessarily locks at this point.

So IMO, more than one of those teams you've listed above might actually make the playoffs, not just one.

My last three would be:

Miami
Charlotte
Indiana

As Milwaukee and NJ are clearly fading, and Bulls and Philly are too labile to make it, IMO.

cgg
03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Wow Wade.. all these great plays and you miss 2 freebies and leave the door open. The HEAT will be in trouble if this goes to double OT

and he misses the layup

Hicks
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Haslem just missed a dunk. Yeesh.

pwee31
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
and Wade misses another freebie

pwee31
03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow... Wade is a beast.. end of story

Will Galen
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Wade's one tired puppy!

cgg
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
That was a crazy game. He's a beast.

Placebo
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
This is my house says Mr. Wade.
Wow, what a game!

pwee31
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
A win at home tomorrow, and we're only a game back of the 8th spot, maybe a game and a half if Milwaukee wins.

Either way after tomorrow the worse we coul be in 2 1/2 back. Let's hope we can tighten this thing even more!

MyFavMartin
03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
I think it comes down to Charlotte, Chicago and the Pacers for the 8th seed. I haven't figured out the Bulls yet this year. Both Indy and the Bobcats have turned the corner.

Milwaukee's too hurt and I just don't care for the Nets though they've been better than I expected this year. I don't see Philly falling out though - they're actually a pretty decent team even though they've hit a rough patch.

Agreed.

We need our Pacers to take care of business.

Any word on Danny?

pwee31
03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Agreed.

We need our Pacers to take care of business.

Any word on Danny?

I've heard Danny is aiming for tomorrow, and then read on NBAtv's bottomline that's he's aiming for the Hawks game Friday.... so who knows :confused:

I think the team has held down the cave long enough though. Time for Batman to return :buddies:

Will Galen
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
A win at home tomorrow, and we're only a game back of the 8th spot, maybe a game and a half if Milwaukee wins.

Either way after tomorrow the worse we coul be in 2 1/2 back. Let's hope we can tighten this thing even more!

Don't go by the games behind. Just look at the lost column.
We are two games behind several teams. Simple math is they have to lose two more games.