PDA

View Full Version : Vescey: Dampier is Pacers' top priority

blanket
06-27-2004, 10:18 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/23901.htm

Had the Pacers been able to trade up to secure the Bulls' No. 3 pick they would've happily exchanged Al Harrington and assumed Eddie Robinson's two-year guaranteed burden for the privilege of calling Ben Gordon their very own. Mount Vernon's second coming of Gus Williams figures to be an immediate star; he gets any shot he wants . . . and makes 'em. Not a prototype point, but if put in pick-and-roll situations, a la Mark Price, he's not going to be easy to stop.

Offered No. 7 at the same rate of exchange, the Pacers declined, preferring to trade Harrington for someone of immediate consequence and save cap space for next summer's free-agent crop. Erick Dampier is their top priority; I hear Jermaine O'Neal is recruiting him heavily. Many teams figure to join the chase when the Warriors center opts out of his remaining two-year, $16.9M pact within the next few days despite a four-year extension offer (121/2 percent yearly hikes) from Golden State.

Mourning
06-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Very logical JO is "recruiting" Damp "heavily". It would mean JO playing virtually no more minutes at C and practically all his time at PF, offcourse he wants that. Questions is do we want this that much to make it our top priority? Sure, hes much more effective and less likely to be broken down during the course of a season at PF than at C, however getting Damp would more than likely also mean not getting a real quaity SG either, so take your pick. I think I would rather get that extra scorer from the perimeter.

Regards,

Mourning;)

blanket
06-27-2004, 10:30 AM
And this from Mitch Lawrence at the NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/206548p-178241c.html

Meanwhile, unable to land Gordon, Bird still wants to find a new point guard. He's also trying to deal Al Harrington, who isnhappy as a bench player, and Ron Artest, whose play in the postseason didn't go over well with the team president or coach Rick Carlisle.

able
06-27-2004, 10:49 AM
It's all the usual speculative crap, you almost know they read this and other forums to stay on top :D

With the pick of Harrison and cheaper C's available then Damp who's still not a sure thing in the attitude department we'd better take this with a grain of salt, for one we can not sign any FA outright and I am not so sure that in a S&T Damp would be 1st or even 2nd choice.
JO's "recruiting" is more likely on the TMac front then anywhere else, after all TMac and he are good friends.

It's "cucumber" time for a while, July 1st the balls start rolling again, untill then we play with our toes.

I said it before, the only chance Damp coming here is that he does NOT opt out, get's traded here and they will see for the next 2 years whether his attitude is better then reported, since Damp will not like that scenario (his value is at peak now) it becomes more then unlikley.

I say hoorah.

As for a PG, forget the P's looking for one, we have more urgent needs, Tins will only beomce better this year, and the team loves him.
So no starting PG to be traded for or looked for, anyone writing that is a certified fool.

As for SG's, why don't they speculate on that? after all that is what the P's are really looking for, so where are all the rumours about:

TMac, Pierce, Allen, Q-Rich, J-Rich, Redd and name some more?

Btw, I predict we get Pierce or J-Rich :D

Mourning
06-27-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm guessing on Crawford, Stephen Jackson, Mobley and maybe even White (I had forgot about him until Jose added him to our list of other SG we could be pursuing, somehow he does make some sense too).

Good players, but no superstars and we dont need those btw if you ask me. My personal preference still is Brent Barry and Murray if Seattle would do that.

Regards,

Mourning;)

sweabs
06-27-2004, 11:17 AM
I sure hope this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't want to see Dampier in a Pacers uniform, as I don't think he will be a good fit for this team.

As for looking for a point guard...maybe Bird wants to wait a while on developing White, and have a line-up with Tinsley, Johnson, and the new guy?

Ragnar
06-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Man I hope the Pacers dont dump Tinsley. I love the way he plays. And I think he will be better every year for the next couple of years. He had so many games last year where he was the best player on the team.

I would be so happy if the only change we made would be Al and Pollard for a center ala Damp or that guy in Sactown from Kendallville whats his name. and a quality sg such as Q-Rich who I think we could get for not too much.

If we had Tins (new sg) Ron, Jermaine, and (new Center) we would be in much better shape than if we dump Ron and Tins.

Heck I think all we need is the new sg! I think Foster will be fine if we upgrade at the sg and we should be able to do that for just Al. If we can dump Pollard on Utah or someone else with Cap room we would be set. We were so close with this team and we took a good shot at a team who had been there last year. Next year we will be seasoned.

Dont break up a good thing before it is seasoned. If we do we will need to break in too many new players this year.

Suaveness
06-27-2004, 11:31 AM
We don't need anything other than a SG. And that is about it. The bench will be fine, with Freddy and Bender (if he isn't injured) and Cro and Harrison stepping up.

And I really really do not want Dampier.

Will Galen
06-27-2004, 11:31 AM
It's all the usual speculative crap . . .

Yep!

Dampier is opting out of the final two years of a contract that called for him to make more money than what the Pacers were willing to pay Brad Miller.

(Miller, $7.8, $8.7. Dampier $8.1, $8.7)

Reports are Dampier expects offers starting in the ten million dollar range.

Do you really believe the Pacer's are interested? It's nothing more than what Able says up above.

Young
06-27-2004, 11:37 AM
It's all the usual speculative crap . . .

Yep!

Dampier is opting out of the final two years of a contract that called for him to make more money than what the Pacers were willing to pay Brad Miller.

(Miller, $7.8, $8.7. Dampier $8.1, $8.7)

Reports are Dampier expects offers starting in the ten million dollar range.

Do you really believe the Pacer's are interested? It's nothing more than what Able says up above.

He'll never get it.

I think that most teams will not offer Dampier that money. Heck I don't think they'll go over 7 or 8.

Young
06-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Also, I don't know for sure if this rumor is really anything.

- First off it's coming from Peter Vecesy.
- Second off we drafted David Harrison.

Anthem
06-27-2004, 12:46 PM
I'd MUCH rather have Blount. He's a better fit and MUCH cheaper.

Plus we might be able to get him in an S&T.

kerosene
06-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Dampier has filed his opt out papers so anyone hoping for a trade with his current contract can forget that.
__

Posted on Sun, Jun. 27, 2004

Dampier files papers, will become free agent

CONTRA COSTA TIMES AND WIRE REPORTS

The Warriors announced on Saturday that center Erick Dampier had provided them with paperwork exercising an opt-out clause in his contract. Dampier, who was set to earn a guaranteed $17 million over the next two seasons, will become a free agent on July 1.

The soonest Dampier could sign with another team -- or the Warriors -- is July 16. Dampier's agent, Dan Fegan, had said last Wednesday he had told the Warriors his client intended to opt out.

Dampier, who averaged 12.3 points and 12 rebounds per game last season, has been with the Warriors since 1997, when he was acquired along with Duane Ferrell for Chris Mullin, currently the team's executive vice president of basketball operations.

Dampier and backup center Adonal Foyle are the longest-tenured Warriors. Foyle will also become a free agent on July 1.

"We received the paperwork on Friday indicating that Erick has officially exercised the opt-out clause in his contract," Mullin said in a statement. "We intend to speak with him and his representatives when NBA rules permit us to do so, which, as an unrestricted free agent, is July 1."

Neither Fegan nor Dampier returned phone calls.

http://tinyurl.com/ys68c

SoupIsGood
06-27-2004, 12:57 PM
So who's really the better player? Blount, or Dampier? One of those useful stat comparisons someone always puts up would be useful. Plus, what is so bad about Dampier that you don't want to see him in a Pacer's jersey? I don't know much about him, except that it seemed he emerged as a legitimate center last year.

able
06-27-2004, 01:04 PM
So who's really the better player? Blount, or Dampier? One of those useful stat comparisons someone always puts up would be useful. Plus, what is so bad about Dampier that you don't want to see him in a Pacer's jersey? I don't know much about him except that it seemed he emerged as a legitimate center last year.

Look at the time he is in the league, his age (32) and what your last sentence said, that tells all the reasons in a nutshell

Anthem
06-27-2004, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Damp, but he'd have to take a pay cut.

kerosene
06-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Damp is going to old, broken down, and overpaid if he gets the kind of contract Fegan gets most of FA clients. I'd rather see Blount but I don't think that'll happen either. At this point I'd rather see the Pacers focus on a SG and go with the bigs that are here.

bulletproof
06-27-2004, 01:20 PM
If Donnie and Larry saw the same game 4 of the ECFs that I did, it would be obvious to them what is obvious to me: We need a SG who can consistently put up 15-18 points a game. Period. We demolished Detroit in that game because the Pistons took the threat of Cro's outside shot seriously. I would be really surprised if we went after a center over a SG. But then again, who knows how deep this loyalty to Reggie runs. Although going after McGrady indicates to me what we're really after.

MSA2CF
06-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Why go after Dampier when we just drafted the Hulk? :bs:

SkipperZ
06-27-2004, 01:27 PM
First of all, Dampier is not looking for a pay raise I dont think. I think he is looking for a longer contract. Think of it this way. He does not opt out, makes 8 and 9 the next two years, for a total of 17 mil, and then hes a FA as a 34 year old player with god knows what lingering injuries. He mite then be able to sign with a team for 2-4 mil a year for 3 years. So a 5 year total of 26 million over 5 years, most likely all on a bad GS team.

Now imagine he opts out, and someone offers him a contract averaging out to 6 mil a year for 5 years. First off, its guaranteed, so injuries, etc wont hurt him in the wallet, and over the course of 5 years he makes 30 million as opposed to 26.

If he does a sign and trade, expect him to start around 5-6 mil but for a course of 4-6 years. So in a WAY its a paycut. But not in the long run. So concievably he would not hit the pacers as hard as it would seem.

In terms of how good a player he is, he can block shots and rebound the hell out of the ball, especially ont he offensive end. At 5-7 mil a year i think he is more worth it than blount.

bulletproof
06-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Let's also not forget that it appears Larry has been learning a lot from Donnie. Everyone here thought we were jockeying for Luke Jackson in the draft when in actuality it was Ben Gordon we were going after. Saying we want Damp may be a ruse as well. Although like able, I think it's pure speculation at this point. Not much else to write about right now covering the bball beat.

Eindar
06-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Thing is, I doubt someone will get Dampier for 5-6 million per season. I'd say more likely Damp will start at 8, and max out at about 12 in 4 or 5 seasons. Not only because he had a "great" year last year, but also because the FA market is pretty weak this year, so Damp's the main attraction. He's obviously better than Blount, so he's the best FA Center on the market. Guys like that ALWAYS get overpaid, it's as guaranteeed as the locusts every 17 years.

Unclebuck
06-27-2004, 02:07 PM
If the Pacers can get Dampier for 5 million per year, no more than a 3 year deal and if he is willing to come in off the bench. Then I say bring him in.

One argument against dampier that I have been making is that the pacers will have to change their defense if they do add Dampier to the starting center spot because he is very slow compared with Jeff and J.O.

Snickers
06-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Are you guys forgetting the impact the players JO recruited for us had last season? Jon Barry and Derrick Coleman.... :arrgh:

After that, my first thought is "why trade for a center when we just drafted one?" But then I think, well with #29, we likely just picked the player we thought was the best, regardless of position. That pick probably isn't going to be used to fill one of our holes.

Either way, I really don't want Dampier. If he'll sign for the MLE, then sure. But Jeff should still start. Actually, from now on just multiply UB's posts on this subject by 2. I seem to be agreeing with him on everything.

akpacer
06-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Forget Damp our backcourt average 18 points a game last year according to ESPN radio. That is where we must improve. We win nothing without more productivity there.

Hoop
06-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Forget Damp our backcourt average 18 points a game last year according to ESPN radio. That is where we must improve. We win nothing without more productivity there.

61 Wins and a few plays from going to the finals is nothing?

Unclebuck
06-27-2004, 03:05 PM
What about Adonal Foyle. he uis as good as shot blocker as Dampier and IMo a better overall defender because he has more quickness. He would be a lot cheaper.

He would be a better pickup IMO, Not to start, but to backup Jeff and J.O.

Will Galen
06-27-2004, 03:26 PM
First of all, Dampier is not looking for a pay raise I dont think. I think he is looking for a longer contract. Think of it this way. He does not opt out, makes 8 and 9 the next two years, for a total of 17 mil, and then hes a FA as a 34 year old player with god knows what lingering injuries. He mite then be able to sign with a team for 2-4 mil a year for 3 years. So a 5 year total of 26 million over 5 years, most likely all on a bad GS team.

Now imagine he opts out, and someone offers him a contract averaging out to 6 mil a year for 5 years. First off, its guaranteed, so injuries, etc wont hurt him in the wallet, and over the course of 5 years he makes 30 million as opposed to 26.

If he does a sign and trade, expect him to start around 5-6 mil but for a course of 4-6 years. So in a WAY its a paycut. But not in the long run. So concievably he would not hit the pacers as hard as it would seem.

You just did something I'm wont to do! ;)

Good analysis, however you must have skimmed the first post in this thread that said he was offered a 4 year extension. If that is true it makes your analysis all wrong.

kerosene
06-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Factors to Consider in Picking a Team
Iím looking at a lot of factors when thinking of who Iíd like to sign with. What type of organization does the team have? What kind of people are running that organization? The most important thing for me is going to a place where I know I will play. I want to go to a place where they will want me be there and be a basketball player. Thatís important.

I would be lying to you if I said financial compensation was not going to be a factor. At the end of the day, you want to make a good living and you want to receive your marketís worth. Before, I always thought money was really irrelevant. But itís not. Money can give you power and some sort of say in an organization at times. So itís not to be trifled with. Iíve learned that if the organization is significantly investing in you, then they will have to pay more attention to you. So, money becomes an issue because it represents your worth in the organization.

A much lesser thing is what is the aspiration of the team? What kind of goals does this team want to achieve in the short term and not 10 years from now or 20 years from now. That is going to be a consideration as well.

Staying Put
Thereís also the possibility that I stay with the Warriors. Certainly, Iím very fond of the Bay Area. I love the Warriors organization and I love the work they have done for the community. But I would like to know if I were to be a priority: Am I going to be a part of the future of this team Ė not just the same marginal role I seem to have had over the past few years. I am not going to do that again for the next five years of my career. I look at this moment in my life as the pinnacle. Iím 29 years of age. Iím young. But by the time I step into my next contract year, I will be in my mid 30ís, and in the league, thatís Over the Hill. I want honesty and a true assessment of what the Warriors want and what they want to achieve together.

Playing the Market
I think it is important to take the time to look at about seven or eight teams for whom I would like to play. I have to really take an intense (both on the micro and macro levels) look into what goes on behind the scenes.

I plan on meeting with my agent and plan out the type of strategy we want to do, as to what we should do and how we should go about marketing myself in the summer. Quite frankly, the whole thing makes me feel a little queasy. I donít like it when people are fussing over me because Iíve always seen myself as just another player. The way I see it, nobody has to fuss over me. Iím just a boy from the islands. Iím very easy to negotiate with.

http://www.adonalfoyle.com/ESSAY_5-15-04.shtml

NugzFan
06-27-2004, 04:37 PM
how come i cant click on links...do i need to change something in my options?

Hicks
06-27-2004, 05:17 PM
how come i cant click on links...do i need to change something in my options?

They aren't links, just the address posted as text. That will change later though. But if people wanted to, they could manually add the [url] tag to them, and they'd show up as links and not just text.

TheSauceMaster
06-27-2004, 05:34 PM
why do you guys listen to Vescey , I don't remember much he's ever been right on :laugh: This is his same old speculative crap he spews .

RA231
06-27-2004, 05:43 PM
What about Adonal Foyle. he uis as good as shot blocker as Dampier and IMo a better overall defender because he has more quickness. He would be a lot cheaper.

Foyle says he wants to go somewhere that he starts, so thats not going to happen

BostonConnection
06-27-2004, 08:01 PM
"We received the paperwork on Friday indicating that Erick has officially exercised the opt-out clause in his contract," Mullin said in a statement. "We intend to speak with him and his representatives when NBA rules permit us to do so, which, as an unrestricted free agent, is July 1."

I'm iffy on Dampier too. He was injury-prone in previous seasons, and I can just see him falling back into that pattern... about 15 games after the Pacers sign him to a contract. :rolleyes:

BTW, anyone else find it ironic to be in a situation where you're potentially negotiating with the guy (Mullin) who was traded for Dampier in the first place? :hmm:

Unclebuck
06-27-2004, 09:47 PM

Foyle says he wants to go somewhere that he starts, so thats not going to happen

I agree I don't think he will start anywhere. How about coming of the bench on a 60 win team, he has never even made the playoffs beofre. No way he starts on a playoff team.