PDA

View Full Version : Post Game thread - Pacers lose to Blazers

CableKC
03-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Close game, good effort, wild last 1 minute of the game.....sucks we lost, but I'm not disappointed.....we did much better then I thought we would.

MrSparko
03-05-2009, 12:32 AM
So I assume Violet Palmer can only be fired if she shoots someone right?

LoneGranger33
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
I think everyone who's ever seen a Pacers game knew who that last play was designed for - and I wonder what sense having Foster out there makes with that little time left. A better chance at the end would have been nice, but it was a hard fought loss.

I didn't realize Brandon Roy was a star until tonight. Thanks for showing me the light, refs. ;)

pizza guy
03-05-2009, 12:35 AM
A few notes from this game.

1. The team plays well together when the right combination of players are on the floor.

2. JOB apparently has no idea what that combo is.

3. Refs suck.

Heckuva effort. Hibbert, Ford, Jack, Daniels and Murphy (in the 1st half) played well. Foster was atrocious.

Brandon Roy is good. Portland has a good team, and they'll soon be a very good team pending health and experience.

Good game. The loss stings because they played well enough to win but just couldn't pull it out.

--pizza

Lord Helmet
03-05-2009, 12:36 AM
A great effort, and a great game, it just sucks the game was decided by the refs.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Check the box score for the story of the game: FT and PF disparity.

How can our big men be called for travel while pivoting in the block and our guards get hacked while driving and not get to the FT line?

Portland fans are going to have a rude wakening when they learn what playoff officiating is.

Seem like Portland pumps a lot of crowd noise and music into their arena?

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM

Portland has the best atmosphere of any basketball game I've attended. And I've been to plenty of big ones.

huber14
Check the box score for the story of the game: FT and PF disparity.

How can our big men be called for travel while pivoting in the block and our guards get hacked while driving and not get to the FT line?

Portland fans are going to have a rude wakening when they learn what playoff officiating is.

seems like they pump a lot of fans into the arena too, something we are having trouble doing.

circlecitysportsfan
Funny how in game 6 of the 98 ECF, Jordan can't even get that call but Brandon Roy could. Great effort, proud of the guys anyway.

MyFavMartin
So I assume Violet Palmer can only be fired if she shoots someone right?

I think we just found something Tinsley can do for the team. :D

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 12:40 AM
A few notes from this game.

1. The team plays well together when the right combination of players are on the floor.

2. JOB apparently has no idea what that combo is.

3. Refs suck.

Heckuva effort. Hibbert, Ford, Jack, Daniels and Murphy (in the 1st half) played well. Foster was atrocious.

Brandon Roy is good. Portland has a good team, and they'll soon be a very good team pending health and experience.

Good game. The loss stings because they played well enough to win but just couldn't pull it out.

--pizza

I agree with most of this to a T. I don't agree with saying Brandon Roy is good. Brandon Roy is outstanding. And if it's possible, Foster might have been worse than atrocious.

pizza guy
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I agree with most of this to a T. I don't agree with saying Brandon Roy is good. Brandon Roy is outstanding. And if it's possible, Foster might have been worse than atrocious.

No arguments from me.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
seems like they pump a lot of fans into the arena too, something we are having trouble doing.

so fake crowd noise and loud music = ticket sales?

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 12:42 AM
And if it's possible, Foster might have been worse than atrocious.

How so?

Lord Helmet
Well, O'Brien was just asked what he thought about the foul-call, and immediately said, "It was fine, he got tripped."

If coach isn't pissed, I'm not going to be as pissed.

huber14
so fake crowd noise and loud music = ticket sales?

no above .500 basketball =ticket sales

pizza guy
03-05-2009, 12:43 AM
How so?

Everytime Foster touches the ball, God kills a kitten.

:cry:

But seriously, nothing good came of it at all tonight. And he was embarrassingly slow on defense.

BRushWithDeath
No arguments from me.

For those who wondered what a top ten player in the league looks like, we saw it tonight.

Thesterovic
Well great game, it was a win. Rasho just did horrible. We would have definently won without him. And if Deiner played, ouch for Portland.

huber14
03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
For those who wondered what a top ten player in the league looks like, we saw it tonight.

yeah he was sitting on the Pacer bench hurt ;)

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
no above .500 basketball =ticket sales

Johny, tell the man what he's won.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I was listening to the game on the radio on the way back from recording and we were up 8, lost signal and got in my apartment in time to watch the last five minutes. That last call in Roy's favor and then losing the game, that made me so sick to my stomach I wanted to hurl.

Pacersfan46
03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
All this foul complaining is funny.

I watched it without reading anything from the board, at first I was like WTF, but after 3 replays it's easy to see he was fouled.

Don't get all the whining.

-- Steve --

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 12:48 AM

But seriously, nothing good came of it at all tonight. And he was embarrassingly slow on defense.

So we were running our offense through Jeff tonight?

And the last time I checked, Jeff's winning the race against Roy, Rasho, and Murph... Roy penetrates, we double... leaves Joel open underneath... weakside defense gives up layup or commits foul.

Joel was Foster's man, no?

Dr. Hibbert
03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
How so?

Well, his absolute inability to do anything on the defensive end is a start...

Not being a jerk about it. He's just too inconsistent for this style of team. Plays a high-effort, good couple of nights, then comes out with a stinker like this one.

Dr. Hibbert

I watched it without reading anything from the board, at first I was like WTF, but after 3 replays it's easy to see he was fouled.

-- Steve --

Again, last two seconds. Go spoon David Stern if that's your idea of a good ending to a well-played NBA game.

MyFavMartin

-- Steve --

Check the boxscore. Tell me there's not a PF and FT disparity.

Watch more than the last play and you'd know what we're talking about.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Well great game, it was a win. Rasho just did horrible. We would have definently won without him. And if Deiner played, ouch for Portland.

Are you David Harrison or Ron Artest?

pizza guy
03-05-2009, 12:53 AM
So we were running our offense through Jeff tonight?

And the last time I checked, Jeff's winning the race against Roy, Rasho, and Murph... Roy penetrates, we double... leaves Joel open underneath... weakside defense gives up layup or commits foul.

Joel was Foster's man, no?

Of course the offense isn't run through Jeff, but there were a number of occassions Jeff got a good pass from Ford right by the basket and biffed an easy bucket.

Tonight, between Hibbert & Foster, it was CLEAR that Roy was playing better. Not just because he was able to score, but because while Roy was in, our interior defense was tough as nails. When Jeff came in, Portland abused us down low.

Hibbert, despite his fouls, needed to come back in. He played MUCH better tonight than Jeff, and I think it made a HUGE difference in the game.

--pizza

Dr. Hibbert
03-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Check the boxscore. Tell me there's not a PF and FT disparity.

Watch more than the last play and you'd know what we're talking about.

He claims there was a great deal of consistency to the night's officiating in the game thread :rolleyes:

Pacersfan46
03-05-2009, 12:56 AM
He claims there was a great deal of consistency to the night's officiating in the game thread :rolleyes:

I did? Please go find that post.

LOL

-- Steve --

peasouptexan7
03-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Yet another NBA game where the players don't decide the outcome of the game. TJ did everything right in that situation. The NBA is ridiculous and a joke. There's no integrity in the game anymore. David Stern might've made the NBA a global association, but he also ruined the fundamental game of basketball and I can't wait until he is gone!!!

Also, Rasho never should play again. He provides absolutely NOTHING. Baston or McRoberts can easily do what he does...run slow, miss shots, not rebound, and make stupid fouls. At least Baston and McRoberts can guard someone. I don't see any reason why he should see the court again especially since he's not a part of the future.

If Foster misses one more layup I'm going to puke.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 01:06 AM

LOL

-- Steve --

So do you agree or disagree with the officiating consistency, quality, and disparity?

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 01:07 AM

Then the Clippers game is going to be your own personal Ipecac.

Dr. Hibbert
03-05-2009, 01:08 AM

LOL

-- Steve --

"Players do decide games. All game long.

God forbid you strive for consistency in your refs no matter the situation. Whew, that idea must be straight from Satan himself! WOO"

Okay, my bad, I read that quickly at first glance...I know what you're getting at. But fact is, fouls weren't called evenly on each end of the floor all night, so being consistent about how they "should" have been calling the game in the last 2 secs means absolutely nothing if they hadn't been consistent at all about calling the game up to that point anyway.

You say they should be consistent about making calls in every second of the game. I say they weren't consistent with their calls all night, so why make that weak *** call at the end? You let the players play, and you're right, it's not in the rulebook. But as a practical matter, you do it.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Of course the offense isn't run through Jeff, but there were a number of occassions Jeff got a good pass from Ford right by the basket and biffed an easy bucket.

Tonight, between Hibbert & Foster, it was CLEAR that Roy was playing better. Not just because he was able to score, but because while Roy was in, our interior defense was tough as nails. When Jeff came in, Portland abused us down low.

Hibbert, despite his fouls, needed to come back in. He played MUCH better tonight than Jeff, and I think it made a HUGE difference in the game.

--pizza

Three things:

1. Foster only missed 3 shots tonight.

2. Roy only gets 6 fouls.

3. Portland was getting stuff in the paint due to B. Roy's penetration. Had nothing to do with Foster. B Roy's penetration is why Foster was in the game: he was penetrating and drawing fouls on Hibbert.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 01:12 AM

You're a manly man.

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
1. Foster only missed 3 shots tonight.

He only made 1.

Pacersfan46
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
So do you agree or disagree with the officiating consistency, quality, and disparity?

I watched the game on my PC, and was muti tasking while doing so, so I can't speak for every foul in the game. I was just talking about the last one.

That said, I don't think a gap in FT attempts by one team or another necessarily means anything was wrong. Sometimes one team just fouls more than the other. That, and we were playing a back to back where we were probably more tired and reaching instead of moving as much as we should. I didn't see anything that drew my ire, or disgusted me. However I was listening to the announcers for probably 50% of the game as well.

Like I said though, in the 50% of the game I did watch, I never thought about complaining about the refs.

-- Steve --

Midcoasted
03-05-2009, 01:27 AM
It wasn't just the foul at the end. Yes the foul at the end was a blown call. If you went back and saw a foul you need glasses. Roy intitiated the contact and tripped over his own feet. There were other calls as well. The strip out of bounds that clearly went off of dude's leg and the travel calls. All in all this was one of the worse officiated games we've faced this year, but that's what home teams with pumped up crowds usually get: the calls in their favor. So it wasn't a rarity what we saw tonight. It happens in the NBA over and over again. The super star phantom calls are also not a rarity and we know some games are fixed just by the nature there is another out there like the one that fell. I don't know if it is even a measurable percent of games, but it does still happen sometimes. Blown calls and super star treatment have nothing to do with the fix but more to do with an unfair biased.

On the other hand, we had a chance to win the game. If Jack hit the shot nothing the refs did would have mattered. I'm 90 percent positive what lost us the game was not putting Hibbert back in at the end. The second Hibbert game out of the game, Portland started it's run. I don't see where people are getting the logic to crucify Foster but I thought he played a pretty typical Foster like game. He had plenty of good defensive plays and putbacks, but he still is Foster. Foster is nowhere near as effective at stopping a big man in the post one on one as Hibbert is.

O'Brien is a good coach he just needs to realize Hibbert and Murphy need to be the bigs in the game at the end and not Rasho and or Foster. I'm not throwing Rasho or Foster under the bus, I want them to play. But the lack of PT for McRoberts still has me sratching my head in disbelief. I want all three to share PT, and Roy in as long as he stays out of foul trouble. In no way shape or form do I believe Hibbert should be buried in the bench with 2 fouls to give at the end of a game. It's getting redundant.

Come on JOB I know you are a better coach than this. Give McRoberts minutes and let Hibbert close games more often. Not every game, but a lot of the close games we've lost this year was due to our inability to defend the post. Hibbert is our best post defender regardless of the fouling tendencies. McRoberts may be better than Foster and Rasho as well but we haven't seen enough of him. When he has managed to get minutes he seemed like he was the better defender and he fits into the offense better.

Reggie used to say if we could get 1 out 3 on a west coast swing we would be good. I'm pretty confident we are going to handle LA and go 2-1 heading back home. It sucks to lose groud on the 8th spot, but once again we are 10 games under .500. It's been like that all season and I just hope we can stay playing 5-3 ball and close the gap.

Rush is just too passive out there. His offense needs to develop, but he is going to be good in the future.

One thing I kept thinking to myself tonight is "Man I REALLY wish there was a way we could keep Jack and Daniels." I guess you just have to believe that Rush will progress in his first full off season and can step prepared into the void Daniels will leave. Quis is the man. He deserves his pay day.

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 01:29 AM
I watched the game on my PC, and was muti tasking while doing so, so I can't speak for every foul in the game. I was just talking about the last one.

That said, I don't think a gap in FT attempts by one team or another necessarily means anything was wrong. Sometimes one team just fouls more than the other. That, and we were playing a back to back where we were probably more tired and reaching instead of moving as much as we should. I didn't see anything that drew my ire, or disgusted me. However I was listening to the announcers for probably 50% of the game as well.

Like I said though, in the 50% of the game I did watch, I never thought about complaining about the refs.

-- Steve --

So you're going to argue our points about the general officiating of the game despite that you were only paying attention to the last 2 minutes of the game?

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 01:34 AM
He only made 1.

So you want to pin the loss on the three shots that Foster missed and ignore the other 37 shots that the Pacers missed?

Pacersfan46
03-05-2009, 01:38 AM
So you're going to argue our points about the general officiating of the game despite that you were only paying attention to the last 2 minutes of the game?

NBA games are 4 minutes? Who knew?

Anyway, I have not argued the whole game's officiating with anyone. I have argued the last call. Damn, reading comprehension people.

-- Steve --

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 01:43 AM

-- Steve --

I was complaining about the officiating. You made this post.

My whining was not on the last play but for the entire game, which you weren't paying attention to.

Was your comment to other posters whining or mine?

tde3000
03-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Portland has the best atmosphere of any basketball game I've attended. And I've been to plenty of big ones.

go to a maccabi tel aviv game. best atmosphere ever! the crowd never stops singing, no need to pump him.

Midcoasted
03-05-2009, 01:47 AM
NBA games are 4 minutes? Who knew?

Anyway, I have not argued the whole game's officiating with anyone. I have argued the last call. Damn, reading comprehension people.

-- Steve --

You're interpertation of the last play is laughable though. The calls went Portland's way the whole fourth quarter. While you might not have seen that, you can see on the replay Roy intentionally leaned his should into Ford, Ford made a great move to back off and cause minimal contact. When Roy leaned his shoulder into Ford (it wasn't even a move to the basket, it was blatantly a move to initiate contact), he wasn't expecting there to be such minimal contact that's why he lost his balance and fell. There were three calls you could have made there, and only two would be right. Well the wrong one was called. It was either an offensive foul or traveling but a defensive foul was a prime example of a "superstar phantom call." And the funny thing is I didn't even really think Roy was that much of a superstar.

Midcoasted
03-05-2009, 01:48 AM
go to a maccabi tel aviv game. best atmosphere ever! the crowd never stops singing, no need to pump him.

Buy me a round trip plane ticket and a seat to the game and I will gladly take your offer.:-p

Pacersfan46
03-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I was complaining about the officiating. You made this post.

My whining was not on the last play but for the entire game, which you weren't paying attention to.

Was your comment to other posters whining or mine?

It was more of a carryover from the Game Thread where everyone was complaining about the last call, and I addressed that. Everyone was whining about the call that got Roy to the line.

Of the post you quoted you didn't bold the important part. The part that referred to '3 replays' and all that, it was clear what I was talking about. The last call of the game. Guilty conscious or something?

-- Steve --

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Can someone explain to me why Jack didn't jump into Outlaw and take the 3 free throws?

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
So you want to pin the loss on the three shots that Foster missed and ignore the other 37 shots that the Pacers missed?

I'm not pinning the loss on him at all. But he played terrible. And it wasn't just the 3 missed shots.

tde3000
03-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Buy me a round trip plane ticket and a seat to the game and I will gladly take your offer.:-p

can't, but here's an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-Mavi38r4

JonnyB83
03-05-2009, 02:32 AM
i didnt get to see any of the game because im at stupid work. 3rd shift plus west coast games = no fun! but jeff hasnt been playing all that well in my eye recently and im getting to the point where i'd much rather see mcbob get some of jeff's pt. mcbob is jeff but way more athletic and a bit better on O. at least he wont miss lay ups. mcbob will throw it down. love watching him in the lay up lines!

QuickRelease
03-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Again, last two seconds. Go spoon David Stern if that's your idea of a good ending to a well-played NBA game.

:shudder: C R E E P Y ! ! !

ThA HoyA
03-05-2009, 03:24 AM
game was crazy and yes that was a horrible call at the end... I even asked a Portland fan that was sitting next to me if it was a good call he just smiled...the atmosphere is crazy they do pump a lot of music especially when the away team has the ball (been to a couple other games there) the biggest thing we lacked was a go to player down the stretch... By the way ford should have never been guarding Roy... Anyone know why granger didn't play he looked real good during shootaround

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-05-2009, 04:06 AM
I think Ford did a great job staying in front of him. I was worried it was going to be Jack v Kobe all over again and Brandon Roy would just rise over him, but he decided to take it to the rim and TJ stuck with it and held good position.

vnzla81
03-05-2009, 06:42 AM
good game last night, the refs decided this one for us, still I will never understand JOB player combinations at the end of games, they need 2 points to tie the game or a 3 to win it, right? so why JOB does not have a team in the last second that can shot the 3 and spread the floor? he always has Foster at the end of games , this makes an open shot near impossible because whoever is guarding Foster is going to leave him and help to double team the player with the ball.

count55
03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Can someone explain to me why Jack didn't jump into Outlaw and take the 3 free throws?

It looks like he would've had to jump about 2 feet forward to draw any contact. It's more likely that they would have called an offensive foul or nothing, than it would've been to get three FT's out of that.

The ESPN replay isn't working for me for some reason, so I can only see the NBA.com link below.

As to the TJ Ford foul, they only show the game speed highlight, no slo-mo or close up. At game speed, it looks awfully cheap, but both O'Brien and Jack said they saw replays where there was a foul. It's disappointing, but if there was a foul, then I don't consider "only 2 seconds left" to be a good reason not to call it.

The foul is at about the 2:00 minute mark, while Jack's three is at 2:10 or so.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/blazers/2009/03/04/nba_ind_por_0020800913_recap.nba/index.html?ls=gt1hp0020800913

I couldn't stay up for the game (hate getting up at 4 in the morning for work), so I didn't find out any results until I checked my phone this morning. Seems like they let a lead get away, and it doesn't look like we got anything out of our bench. The FT differential is disappointing, but it doesn't particularly surprise me. We don't really have guys who draw fouls, particularly with Danny absent.

Oh, well, on to the Clippers.

D.G.33.4.LiFE
03-05-2009, 07:30 AM
i hate nba refs

D.G.33.4.LiFE
03-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Please someone tell me that the nba refs r good
also that last call roy tripped on he DID NOT GET FOULED

cgg
03-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Please someone tell me that the nba refs r good
also that last call roy tripped on he DID NOT GET FOULED

nba refs r good

Unclebuck
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM

Granted it was late and I was getting a little sleepy, but I counted 3 or 4 times in the 4th quarter where Jeff stripped the ball as the guy he was defending was about to shoot. Jeff's defense was outstanding as usual. He missed a couple of layups that he should have made - But I saw nothing to be concerned as far as his defense. Confused. I have the whole game on DVR, if I have tome tonight, I'll go back and re-watch parts of it

Overall, it was one of the more enjoyable games of the season. Great playoff type atmosphere and the Pacers effort, intensity, energy were all outstanding. If they can play like this, they will win a good portion of the remaining games.

Yeah Roy is that good. The thing about him is he almost has to be forced to be aggressive - usually until the 4th quarter - he is setting up his teammates - so he could average more points if he wanted too easily.

Defensively I like when Roy Hibbert and Jeff are in the game at the same time - (hurts our offense though)

Good to see TJ healthy and playing like he's capable, Daniels, Jack continue to play great.

I thought the foul on Ford was a bad call (and don't buy what O'brien said after the game, I don't believe he thinks it was a foul) but I admit we didn't see the best replay angle which would be from where the ref was standing who made the call. The worst call I saw was when Violet Palmer missed the play when Jack knocked the ball off of the Blazers player in a break-way layup - Palmer was out of position to make the correct call.

McKeyFan
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Anybody commented on the fact that Roy had the highest +/- last night (+13), and the only other player with a positive was Quis at +5?

Yes, my anecdotal viewing of the game made me think Hibbert should have been put back in at the end, but that stat helps back it up.

Once again, we did not lose this game in the last minute. We lost it a few minutes before, particularly when they hit three treys in a row to make a big run on our lead.

To JOB's credit, he did call a timeout. He's gotten much better about that, IMO. But he didn't make a personnel change, and I think it was obvious one was needed.

duke dynamite
03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
We couldn't have played better last night. I wouldn't call it a wasted effort, but a win sure would've been nice considering the crowd they had.

Enough with these game-determining phantom calls, though!

Unclebuck
03-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Once again, we did not lose this game in the last minute. We lost it a few minutes before, particularly when they hit three treys in a row to make a big run on our lead.

To JOB's credit, he did call a timeout. He's gotten much better about that, IMO. But he didn't make a personnel change, and I think it was obvious one was needed.

OK< what personnel change would you have liked. The reason they hit those threes was because Brandon Roy was beating Daniels or Jack -(mainly Marquis) And Roy was their whole offense - whether he scored or assisted. So who could have defended Roy any better?

idioteque
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
A great effort, and a great game, it just sucks the game was decided by the refs.

Welcome to todays NBA.

Shade
03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm feeling really deflated after this loss. I'm tired of losing games where we hold the lead almost all the way throughout. Our playoff hopes took a serious blow last night.

OakMoses
03-05-2009, 09:56 AM
The refs sucked all games and made plenty of bad calls on both teams. My top three were a no call on Hibbert when he hits Steve Blake mid-bicep on a driving layup, the blocking call on Hibbert when his jersey brushed up against Rudy Fernandez's as Fernandez threw up an ugly finger-roll that missed everything, and the call at the end.

This was a game where we really felt Danny's absence. They were playing Outlaw at the 4 and we didn't have any answer. Even if Danny had only played the last 6 minutes of the game, we still probably win. We don't have any other 3/4 players on the roster.

We lost this game for 2 reasons: 1. Marquis Daniels inability to guard Brandon Roy, 2. Our bigs' (Murphy, Foster, Nesterovic) inability to get rebounds. I don't blame 'Quis for his inability to guard Roy, but it was obvious to me that he's not the defensive stopper we all want him to be. 'Quis getting beat was also a big part of our rebounding woes. Our bigs were getting pulled away from the basket to help on Roy's penetration. Still, there's plenty of blame to get passed onto our bigs for not rebounding.

Murphy had the exact kind of game that makes many people feel like he's not the right PF for this team. They guarded him with a smaller guy and created mismatches on both ends of the floor. Then "the best defensive rebounder in the NBA" can't get a tough defensive board in the 4th quarter to save his life. He got worked over by Joel Pryzbilla and LaMarcus Aldridge, neither of whom are fantastic rebounders.

TJ did some great things, but I don't think we'll ever be a serious contender with him as our starting PG. Think about it, when was the last time a finals team had a PG that you knew he was going to do something stupid about 5-10% of the time he had the ball.

It was nice to see how much the Portland fans and players love Jack. I'm glad he's on our team now.

The Portland announcers need to do their homework. One idiot says, "Hibbert's not going to post up." What? Have you watched any film or read anything about the kid?

duke dynamite
03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
melli, I understand where you are coming from, but also you need to realize a few things:

Danny was missed. Even if he didn't score outside if he played, there would've been a little more court-awareness out there and a lot less scrambling. During that last run the Blazers had we looked like there was no clue on what was going on.

Brandon Roy is tough to guard, period. We aren't the only team to let him explode like that.

Troy got busted in the face and had to get some stitches. I'm sure he was in a great deal of pain in the second half and probably had a hard time seeing well. There was a time he went to the line and missed the first of two free-throws...badly. I think that had to do with his vision. It could've affected his depth perception.

One positive...I do agree that I think the fans in Portland love and miss Jack. I saw it all over last night.

BPump33
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm feeling really deflated after this loss. I'm tired of losing games where we hold the lead almost all the way throughout. Our playoff hopes took a serious blow last night.

I agree that is was a deflating loss, however we weren't supposed to win this game. Should we have won considering we were up the whole game? Yes. Going into this game we were 10 pt underdogs playing on the road in a very tough environment. I think the only way this is a serious blow to our playoff chances is if our guys let it carry over into the game Saturday night. If we lose to the Clips, then our playoffs hope are more than likely over. However, if we win and finish this road trip 2-1 I think that's about what was expected.

As frustrating as it was to be up the entire game and then lose the way we did, it's not as bad as losing to Minnesota/New York in back to back home games. I just hope the guys can put it behind them and continue the ball they played through 3 and half quarters last night.

Anthem
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
OK< what personnel change would you have liked. The reason they hit those threes was because Brandon Roy was beating Daniels or Jack -(mainly Marquis) And Roy was their whole offense - whether he scored or assisted. So who could have defended Roy any better?
Shotblocker?

dohman
03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Here is my take on the last call.

This was a PHYSICAL ball game. All night long there was hand checking and tough play with NO calls. Honestly the blazers should of shot 50 ft's instead of 32. But with the style of play the refs were allowing it really shocks me they called the LAST one. If it was honestly a foul it was very minute one. TJ had his hands up the entire time and in the game replay it shows roy throwing his elbow into ford to get the contact. If you are allowing physical basketball you do not call that foul.

I was hoping they would switch daniels with rush to guard roy at the end. I really wanted to see what type of defender he is. Roy was just blowing by daniels and everytime it was to the lane. You think after a while he would start to cheat a little that way but he never did.

And about foster being in at the end. Like UB said he had I think 3 steals at the end and not to mention the offensive rebounds that led to daniels getting to the free throw line. We had 4 players in the game. 3 jump shooters and a slasher. We were fine for our last shot.

Einstein
03-05-2009, 10:59 AM
In defense of Daniels, if he could score, rebound, assist, and shut down the premier offensive personnel of the NBA, he wouldn't be a Pacer right now. There are some people he just can't guard -- go watch him on Ray Allen.

Also, I don't like Daniels playing PG or guarding the PG.

I'm not sure how fast Roy is, but that dribble and his subsequent decision making makes him very very tough to guard.

OakMoses
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
One thing I learn again everytime I watch Brandon Roy play is just how bad of a GM Michael Jordan is. He picked Adam Morrison instead of Roy. Say what you will about Bird's talent evaluation skills, but at least he's never done anything that stupid.

duke dynamite
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
One thing I learn again everytime I watch Brandon Roy play is just how bad of a GM Michael Jordan is. He picked Adam Morrison instead of Roy. Say what you will about Bird's talent evaluation skills, but at least he's never done anything that stupid.

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/01/harrison.jpg

http://www.mavswiki.com/images/b/b1/Swill.jpg

Kidding.

special ed
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Very entertaining game but I'm not certain it should have come down to that last call. On a back-to-back, guys getting 39 minutes and the bench bringing in 14 or 15 minutes a piece is a recipe for disaster. And we got it.
The Pacers had this game and, once again, the coach couldn't figure out how to distribute minutes to have some fresh legs in the end.
As someone else mentioned (for a different reason), I can never figure out this coach's rotations other than he relies far too much on veterans at the expense of confidence and won-loss record.

jhondog28
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Geez can the guy just share his opinion. It does not mean he is right or wrong but everytime he says something you try and bait him into another argument. It has gotten old real quick. All he was doing was saying he thought the game was fair and did not understand everyone complaining. Hey that was his opinion. I think he is entitled to it.

pwee31
03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I DVRed the game and watch it when I got off work late last night. I was so pissed after the loss that I went straight to bed.

Refs shouldn't be allowed to take a game like that from a team that clearly played better the majority of the game. The fouls calls were horrendous and clearly decided the game, not the mention the traveling calls on us, and no calls on the Blazers.

It made me sick to my stomach

bellisimo
03-05-2009, 11:49 AM
post game thread formula

win = praise guys and effort + sunshine spirit

loss = pick a player of the night to turn them into scapegoats for the loss &/or officiating/coaching.

OakMoses
03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/01/harrison.jpg

http://www.mavswiki.com/images/b/b1/Swill.jpg

Kidding.

There's a guy on my City League team that's a former small college basketball player. He's in his 40's now and if you ask him about his game he usually replies with "There's nothing wrong with my upper body."

I think you could describe Harrison and Williams by saying, "There's nothing wrong below the neck."

duke dynamite
03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
There's a guy on my City League team that's a former small college basketball player. He's in his 40's now and if you ask him about his game he usually replies with "There's nothing wrong with my upper body."

I think you could describe Harrison and Williams by saying, "There's nothing wrong below the neck."
lol

Justin Tyme
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Then there is Kwame Brown too!

I hope Jordan picks again this year for the Bobcats.:D It will give Bird a better chance to pick the wrong player again.

McKeyFan
03-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Rush on Brandon Roy may have helped.

Hibbert inside may have made Brandon Roy's driving more difficult. The other guys fouled him anyway, may as well give Roy a chance to block the shot. Plus, Hibby's presence inside allows the wing defenders to cheat out closer to the perimeter.

I understand JOB going with the other lineup. But when it failed, and they went on a serious run, why not change to something different?

CableKC
03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I really don't see what is there to complain about Foster. Honestly, what else are many of you expecting from Foster?

He did what he always did in previous games.....some things good, some things bad. Foster is a solid rotational "1st Big Man" to come off the bench......clearly a very solid Rotational Big Man PF/C.....but IMHO ( at best ) an average Starting Center ( against some Teams ) to a below average Starting Center ( against other Teams ) that is asked to do alot more then he is capable of by JO'B.

Foster blows layups or the occassional jumpshot....but I don't fault him for that....he's a rebounding/dirty-work/non-athletic Big Man that has a limited offensive game and a somewhat decent Big Man Defender against some ( but not all ) Big Men ( as evidenced by Aldridge scoring at will against him ). When he stops rebounding, not providing energy off the bench and starts doing really stupid things when he is on the floor; then I would be calling to reduce his minutes......but until we have a better Big Man Option that can't foul out in less then 20 minutes or does what Foster does but does it better, then I will live with what he provides on the floor.

Since86
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Geez can the guy just share his opinion. It does not mean he is right or wrong but everytime he says something you try and bait him into another argument. It has gotten old real quick. All he was doing was saying he thought the game was fair and did not understand everyone complaining. Hey that was his opinion. I think he is entitled to it.

There's a difference in stating it the way you just did, and telling someone they need glasses if they didn't see it the way you did.

That goes for both sides of the argument, I might add.

jhondog28
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
This was never my argument to be honest I totally missed the game and therefore do not have an opinion on the officiating. I am just tired of seeing people start an argument over someone's honest opinion. Another poster said something to the effect of not seeing any problems with the officiating and then people attacked him like vultures because they did not agree. I promise you the number one complaint of any team's fans after they lose is that the officiating was terrible and totally one sided. It is an argument that always shows up on every teams boards after they lose. Second complaint being that the coach sucks and third being it is one player who should be traded. This goes for every team not just the Pacers.

Since86
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I think he got "attacked" because of his use of one word. Whining. It has a negative connotation.

Thesterovic
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I DVRed the game and watch it when I got off work late last night. I was so pissed after the loss that I went straight to bed.

Refs shouldn't be allowed to take a game like that from a team that clearly played better the majority of the game. The fouls calls were horrendous and clearly decided the game, not the mention the traveling calls on us, and no calls on the Blazers.

It made me sick to my stomach

Has anybody ever played NBA Live 09 versus an actual person? Oh my gosh when someone is down by three on that game, they hit like 4 threes in a row. That game is nothing but a momentum swing...

MyFavMartin
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Where did I switch the argument?

The only point I was trying to make was that it's hard to argue with people WHO WATCHED THE GAME on the quality of the officiating when YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE GAME.

larry
03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
It was TJ Ford that helped us build the lead.
The Blazers go on a huge run w/ no TJ.
Travis should not play unless he is red hot from 3 like the Kings game.
Other teams drive and get open 3s & draw fouls.
Then we can't score.
It is not Foster's play, Jesus.
Why am I the only 1 that sees this?

larry
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Our problem is that TJ has to get too many minutes, because he doesn't have a backup.
I would back him w/ Jack when we get Danny back.
Travis would play as much as McRobbie if I had it my way.
We are better on D w/ Hibbert in.
I'm happy because I had doubts on him.
He has had a good year imo.
He's already better than Harrison.

BPump33
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
It was TJ Ford that helped us build the lead.
The Blazers go on a huge run w/ no TJ.
Travis should not play unless he is red hot from 3 like the Kings game.
Other teams drive and get open 3s & draw fouls.
Then we can't score.
It is not Foster's play, Jesus.
Why am I the only 1 that sees this?

The Blazers didn't go on a huge run until the 2nd half. Travis didn't play in the second half. I fail to see your logic.

BRushWithDeath
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
The Blazers didn't go on a huge run until the 2nd half. Travis didn't play in the second half. I fail to see your logic.

You failed to see his logic because you assumed logic was used. You were wrong.

Midcoasted
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
You failed to see his logic because you assumed logic was used. You were wrong.

pwned. I agree 100 percent. Diener not playing in the second half could very well be the reason we lost. He was on fire again out there and we could really of used him to keep TJ fresh and score. Plus Diener is the best pure PG we have by far. He is really fast and he creates, plus he has a 10-1 assist to turnover ratio. I don't see how you can hate on Diener. I'm glad he is a Pacer.

BPump33
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
pwned. I agree 100 percent. Diener not playing in the second half could very well be the reason we lost. He was on fire again out there and we could really of used him to keep TJ fresh and score. Plus Diener is the best pure PG we have by far. He is really fast and he creates, plus he has a 10-1 assist to turnover ratio. I don't see how you can hate on Diener. I'm glad he is a Pacer.

I agree wholeheartedly.

WetBob
03-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Roy has been a top 10 player since last year. He's stuck in media blackout in Oregon, but the people that have seen him know. He's a straight up cold-hearted killer.

He's a top 10 player, but when it comes to taking over games, as it sounds like he did last night (I missed the game due to extenuating circumstances) there are maybe only 3-4 better.

yeah he was sitting on the Pacer bench hurt ;)

I can't help but laugh knowing that there actually are some of you who genuinely agree with this.

WetBob
03-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Our problem is that TJ has to get too many minutes, because he doesn't have a backup.
I would back him w/ Jack when we get Danny back.
Travis would play as much as McRobbie if I had it my way.
We are better on D w/ Hibbert in.
I'm happy because I had doubts on him.
He has had a good year imo.
He's already better than Harrison.

Yeah this team's problem is that TJ isn't staying fresh enough.

That's the problem.

MyFavMartin
03-07-2009, 09:30 AM
You're interpertation of the last play is laughable though. The calls went Portland's way the whole fourth quarter. While you might not have seen that, you can see on the replay Roy intentionally leaned his should into Ford, Ford made a great move to back off and cause minimal contact. When Roy leaned his shoulder into Ford (it wasn't even a move to the basket, it was blatantly a move to initiate contact), he wasn't expecting there to be such minimal contact that's why he lost his balance and fell. There were three calls you could have made there, and only two would be right. Well the wrong one was called. It was either an offensive foul or traveling but a defensive foul was a prime example of a "superstar phantom call." And the funny thing is I didn't even really think Roy was that much of a superstar.

First thing I noticed about the play if B Roy hooked TJ Ford with his off arm.