PDA

View Full Version : Rashad Wright a couple Links if you don't know him

PacerCrazy
06-27-2004, 05:28 AM
http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/wright_rashad00.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=2854

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~flyw/
only kewl thing about this site is you can E-mail him! Anyone want to try?!

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/nbadraft/rashadwright.htm

I bunch of things strike me. He seems extremely tough and his assist to turnover ratio is great! He was defensive player of the year in the SEC which everyone mentioned as well and he has a good wing span. He seems like the perfect fit for the Pacers. His one weakness is shooting he can be inconsistent but this is a problem Tins has too. I think as long as we end up with a solid shooting gaurd and it doesn't have to be T-mac (Quintin Eichardson has been mentioned several times) we are in great shape and this guy could be a solid backup. Only time will tell. I just sure hope he gets a few minutes.

MSA2CF
06-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Letting Rashad go would be a major mistake for the Pacers, IMO.

I think he'll be of Fred Jones-last year caliber, only this will be his rookie season.

Hicks
06-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Sounds easily better than Brewer. I'd rather have Rashad from what I'm reading.

Anthem
06-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Yep. Brewer is gone.

kerosene
06-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Brewer will be tearing up the NBDL next year. Don't know why he gave him 2 years guaranteed anyway.

Anthem
06-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Cause he was a freak of nature and he had potential. If he could ever have learned to shoot or pass we might have kept him.

Or if he'd shown signs of working on it, rather than blowing off summer leagues.

Snickers
06-27-2004, 02:01 PM
I know pretty much nothing about this guy, so this is interesting.

We know he's a good defender, a good passer, and maybe a decent shooter too? He shot 39% from three his senior year.

What are the most important qualities in a PG?

1] QB/leadership ability
2] decision making
3] ball handling/control
4] passing
5] defense
6] shooting
7] penetration [not the erotic kind.... though a really good drive in the paint can be kinda arousing.... :blush:]

from the angeltowns link:
Strengths: Excellent ball handling skills and great playmaker. A pure point guard who is always looking to get his teammates involved. Plays in control and has a solid basketball IQ. Assist to turnover ratio was a magnificent 3 to 1 in his junior season. Great defensive player with extremely long arms. He has a ridiculous 6-10 wingspan which helps him get a lot of steals. Decently quick player that loves to drive through the lane and dish the ball off or finish strong.

Weaknesses: Rashad Wright is a very inconsistent scorer. Wasn't much of a scorer until this year because he was asked to do so and even then his playmaking took a dive. Horrible shooter from outside and from the free throw line. His shooting from the arc has improved, but he still needs to work on his consistency.

Hicks
06-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Of the 7 you list Snickers, it seems the one he's lacking is good shooting (except apparently from 3; think Bruce Bowen).

Snickers
06-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Don't forget:

8] Cool hair

.... :cry:

But maybe Rashad can make a Freddie Jones-type improvement on his jumpshot. That might make him into a pretty impressive player, if all this we're hearing about him holds true.

MSA2CF
06-27-2004, 02:12 PM
I thought Bruce Bowen was an exceptional 3 point shooter. :confused:

Snickers
06-27-2004, 02:25 PM
I thought Bruce Bowen was an exceptional 3 point shooter. :confused:

That's what he meant, he can hit the 3 but nothing else.

Hoop
06-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Wright's Agent and Mel Daniels sure have a high opinion of him.
----------

2nd round, tough road
Based on history, Georgia's Wright has no guarantee of making Pacers

By Sekou Smith
sekou.smith@indystar.com
June 26, 2004

Questions about David Harrison's work ethic played a major role in the 7-footer dropping down the draft board to the Indiana Pacers on Thursday night.

There were no such worries about the mettle of the Pacers' second-round pick, Georgia point guard Rashad Wright, the Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year his senior season.

"This guy is a competitor of the highest order," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "He proved that by being named Defensive Player of the Year in a top-flight conference like the SEC. We're going to find out in the coming weeks about (Harrison). We're going to see if he's that same type of competitor."

When they begin their professional careers, Harrison and Wright will do so with wildly different degrees of job and financial security.

Harrison, by virtue of being the last pick of the first round, has a three-year guaranteed contract that will pay him about $2.2 million. Second-round picks receive little more than an opportunity.

Wright, taken with the 59th and final pick of the draft, has no guarantee that he will be with the Pacers past minicamp next month. Beyond the uniform he is issued and the per diem he receives during his summer stint, Wright could go home with nothing.

That makes this time of year far more tenuous for players like Wright, a sturdy 6-2, 190-pound All-SEC pick and starter in 107 of a possible 116 games during his college career.

"He's the real deal," said David Lee, Wright's agent. "You guys (in Indiana) are going to find that out soon. You'll see."

The Pacers have a history of mining the second round and discovering prospects. Antonio Davis, Kenny Williams, Jamison Brewer and James Jones were snared in the second round.

But they are the exception. Most NBA teams make second-round picks and watch the players disappear before training camp begins.

Last season, 13 of the 29 second-round picks made NBA rosters, including Jones, whom the Pacers selected 49th overall.

Fifty-five second-round picks in the past five years were on NBA rosters at the end of this season, with at least eight making it every season since 1999.

Jones wasn't on the Pacers' playoff roster, but he has been praised for his work ethic and his shooting stroke.

Wright made his first impression on the Pacers' brass with his competitiveness and grit during his pre-draft workout. He showed much of the same during the Chicago pre-draft camp.

"A real nice pick for us," Pacers president Larry Bird said. "We brought him in (for a workout), saw him in Chicago. He's a player. It's all (Pacers director of player personnel) Mel Daniels has been talking about for a month now. The kid's got talent. He's got a chance."

Picking Wright, however, doesn't mean the Pacers are ready to sever ties with Brewer, a restricted free agent point guard who was the Pacers' second-round pick in 2001.

"It's a process of who comes in and plays the best," Bird said. "When Jamison comes in and steps across that line, he gives it to you every day. So for somebody to come in, he's going to have to be better than Jamison. We know that."

Lee believes the Pacers secured the steal of the draft in his client.

"Mel's got a good eye for talent. Someone from the San Antonio Spurs told me before the draft that Rashad was the toughest (guy) in the entire draft," Lee said.

"Rashad worked out on three different occasions with (13th pick Sebastian) Telfair and Rashad took him to school.

"Rashad worked out with (20th pick) Jameer Nelson during six different workouts. He outshot Jameer. He outplayed Jameer. I don't know why Rashad dropped the way he did, but I think you guys (in Indiana) got an absolute steal. He's going to be with you guys for a long, long time."

Snickers
06-27-2004, 03:57 PM
His agent sure makes him sound fantastic, but that's his job.

What means a lot to me is that Mel Daniels likes him that much.

able
06-27-2004, 08:14 PM
How bout waiting till Rookie camp is over, we seem to be forgetting that this guy is the last pick in the entire draft.

His chances of making the team over a guaranteed contract as Brewer are very small.

No matter how nice everything and everyone makes him sound now, if he was the second coming he would have been picked earlier by someone else.

2nd round picks have a habit of dissapearing to the EU or NBDL.

If he's still here at the end of trainingcamp we'll discuss him, till then he has a chance of coming to camp and getting some decent dollars for it, in other words he has a summer job.

Roaming Gnome
06-27-2004, 09:07 PM
How bout waiting till Rookie camp is over, we seem to be forgetting that this guy is the last pick in the entire draft.

His chances of making the team over a guaranteed contract as Brewer are very small.

No matter how nice everything and everyone makes him sound now, if he was the second coming he would have been picked earlier by someone else.

2nd round picks have a habit of dissapearing to the EU or NBDL.

If he's still here at the end of trainingcamp we'll discuss him, till then he has a chance of coming to camp and getting some decent dollars for it, in other words he has a summer job.

As harsh as that sounds, I have to agree with you about the fact that he is not worth really getting over hyped about till after camp.

Speaking of Brewer, I thought he was a free agent and not under a guranteed contract.

PacerCrazy
06-27-2004, 09:10 PM
I am gonna say it now. He WILL make the team. ;)

Unclebuck
06-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Is this a thread on Harrison or Wright

Unclebuck
06-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Is this a thread on Harrison or Wright