PDA

View Full Version : What is the record for most missed layups by one player?

Pacers
03-04-2009, 01:16 AM
For one season. Daniels has to be pushing it. :censored:

BRushWithDeath
03-04-2009, 01:17 AM
For one season. Daniels has to be pushing it. :censored:

Wow. Daniels is the best lay up shooter on our team.

Pacers
03-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Every time I see him driving to the basket he blows it.

BRushWithDeath
03-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Every time I see him driving to the basket he blows it.

Then you haven't seen him drive to the basket more than a couple times.

Bball
03-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Daniels makes plenty of layups. Foster is the bunny killer on this team.

-Bball

duke dynamite
Easy there, guys...

30,987 attempts by this guy:

http://www.tvdance.com/baseketball/6a.gif

Suaveness
Daniels makes plenty of layups. Foster is the bunny killer on this team.

-Bball

Pretty much

count55
03-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Daniels is a distant third to TJ and Jeff.

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Wow, I thought this was about TJ before I opened it.

Pacersfan46
03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Is everyone forgetting TJ Ford? He doesn't make anything within 5 feet either. Ugh.

-- Steve --

duke dynamite
03-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Ford has been quite effective from point blank lately. I would give this to Jeff for the time being.

Bball
03-04-2009, 01:34 AM
TJ goes on streaks. There are streaks where he hits anything he tosses against the backboard... and then streaks where he can't buy a basket.

Foster misses consistently. I've coined the term "He Fostered the layup" for any player that misses a layup. :cool:

duke dynamite
03-04-2009, 01:35 AM
TJ goes on streaks. There are streaks where he hits anything he tosses against the backboard... and then streaks where he can't buy a basket.

Foster misses consistently. I've coined the term "He Fostered the layup" for any player that misses a layup. :cool:
Well, I guess it falls under the first one right now. Still, even if he has been off, I'm sure he doesn't hold the record...or even close.

jeffg-body
03-04-2009, 02:32 AM
I will go back a little further in time and say Travis Best is probably the record holder for missed lay ups.

Haggard
03-04-2009, 03:50 AM
I think its either Glenn or Simon from my basketball team.. I just cringe when any of them are on the break...

count55
03-04-2009, 07:46 AM
BTW...it's George McCloud.

SycamoreKen
03-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Did McCloud get enough opportunities to actually count in the record book?

Unclebuck
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I really, really wish someone could do an analysis of this. You know with some real numbers

BPump33
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I definitely thought this was about T.J. when I opened it. The last person I had in mind was Marquis. I think as a team we have probably blown more layups this season than I can remember in past seasons, but I think Marquis is our best finisher, by far.

count55
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Did McCloud get enough opportunities to actually count in the record book?

Hell if I know.

There is no record kept of this, to my knowledge. I wasn't trying to make a statement of fact, but the green font here is illegible.

I really, really wish someone could do an analysis of this. You know with some real numbers

Why?

Unclebuck
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Hell if I know.

Why?

Because I have a feeling the results would be surprising

BillS
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Within 10 feet I'm almost willing to give Quis the ball any time he wants it. Outside of 15 feet...

Unclebuck
03-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah Quis is great in the lane and even out to about 15 feet. I'm shocked when he misses a shot in close - maybe that is why you think he misses a good number - because it is shocking when he does actually miss one.

MagicRat
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
82games.com breaks down eFG% by Jump/Close/Dunk/Tip.......

danman
03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
This is unjust. Marquis is money in the paint, even when challenged. His half-hook is a thing of beauty and he puts it up soft. He knows how to use his body and the rim, and he's sneaky quick on getting layups off. You heretics. Let us not discuss his outside "shooting."

Missed bunnies?

Foster is below average. His best finisher shot is a quick swoop and a banker on the right block, he's can get that down even at 8 feet. But basically, he can't elevate and he has zero footwork and fakes.

Rasho likewise. Special commendation here for the complete inability to draw a foul. Double special commendation for being the least agile player in the league.

Hibbert gets a pass because he's a rookie. Needs to come back with a stronger body, because he freaking folds like an accordion on contact. Also needs to learn to gather himself, his balance is often terrifying. If you want to cling to a hope for the future, he has consistently shown good hands on catches. Freeweights this summer, Roy. Freeweights.

BRush also gets a pass, but he also gets a special commendation for some truly mystifying decisions on layups. He has the skills to be much better. Let us all pray now.

Murph is mediocre. He gets blocked a lot because he can't jump. But did anyone see that reverse throwdown in traffic last night? The spirit of Dr. J possessed Murph for one play.

TJ is good around the hoop. Why the hate on him here? He's as good as midgets get.

Jack is solid.

Diener lacks the acrobatics to get a shot off. He doesn't muff many because he knows this.

Danny is good. Given his natural ability and size, he could improve.

Einstein
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Quis is the best finisher on the team. The thing is that both he and our opponent know this... so he is often trying layups under very difficult circumstances and they are usually trying to make it difficult for him to either get to the hoop or lay it in.

As I thought about it, I wasn't sure that Danny wasn't the best finisher on the team. I don't know. Most of my memories with Danny are jump shots. My memories of his layups are all relatively unchallenged layups.

The person I don't like around the rim is Rush. I've seen him miss a lot of easy layups. The guy has the athleticism to get there in great position and then he just slams it up against the glass. I have seen signs in recent games that this is improving. I just hope that its not just wishful thinking.

McKeyFan
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
This is unjust. Marquis is money in the paint, even when challenged. His half-hook is a thing of beauty and he puts it up soft. He knows how to use his body and the rim, and he's sneaky quick on getting layups off. You heretics. Let us not discuss his outside "shooting."

Missed bunnies?

Foster is below average. His best finisher shot is a quick swoop and a banker on the right block, he's can get that down even at 8 feet. But basically, he can't elevate and he has zero footwork and fakes.

Rasho likewise. Special commendation here for the complete inability to draw a foul. Double special commendation for being the least agile player in the league.

Hibbert gets a pass because he's a rookie. Needs to come back with a stronger body, because he freaking folds like an accordion on contact. Also needs to learn to gather himself, his balance is often terrifying. If you want to cling to a hope for the future, he has consistently shown good hands on catches. Freeweights this summer, Roy. Freeweights.

BRush also gets a pass, but he also gets a special commendation for some truly mystifying decisions on layups. He has the skills to be much better. Let us all pray now.

Murph is mediocre. He gets blocked a lot because he can't jump. But did anyone see that reverse throwdown in traffic last night? The spirit of Dr. J possessed Murph for one play.

TJ is good around the hoop. Why the hate on him here? He's as good as midgets get.

Jack is solid.

Diener lacks the acrobatics to get a shot off. He doesn't muff many because he knows this.

Danny is good. Given his natural ability and size, he could improve.

Great post with a couple funny one-liners.

Keep posting.

BPump33
03-04-2009, 11:56 AM

I don't think anyone is "hating" on him. I think it's pretty proven that he misses a lot of layups/shots in the lane. He is amazing at getting to the basket, but I would say below average at finishing. Yet, he still does pull off a miraculous shot in the lane every once in a while.

Also, Denari touches on this subject almost every telecast. We are one of the worst teams at finishing on 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 or pretty much any kind of fast break in the league.

Pacers
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I wasn't thinking about TJ. When the post came, Quis had just blown an easy layup that came back for a 3 by the Kings.

McKeyFan
03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I think TJ has been a bit more into looking for guys on the perimeter when he drives to the hoop. It's a first step, but if he learns to penetrate and be more judicious with whether to shoot or not, than he will be much more effective.

To give credit where its due, Danny has really maximized himself this year. So has Troy. Jack has gotten better and better. Roy and Rush are improving. Diener is having a good season. Quis is having his best season.

JOB might just get some credit for creating an atmosphere of improvement. (Danny as well). If so, then I am hoping that this will rub off on TJ and he will improve in several areas, but especially in shot selection.

danman
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't think anyone is "hating" on him. I think it's pretty proven that he misses a lot of layups/shots in the lane. He is amazing at getting to the basket, but I would say below average at finishing. Yet, he still does pull off a miraculous shot in the lane every once in a while.

Also, Denari touches on this subject almost every telecast. We are one of the worst teams at finishing on 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 or pretty much any kind of fast break in the league.

On TJ, I would respond that some don't appreciate the degree of difficulty on someone his size getting shots off and down. He's creating and his window on a shot is tiny in the paint. Not saying he doesn't blow a few, but you have to give a PG creator a little leeway.

On breaks, we blow too many because we lack fast break finishers. Marquis is decent, Danny is good, and... it gets thin after that, doesn't it? I expect that Bird will draft the best wing or PF available, and I sure hope that player is a long leaper.

Naptown_Seth
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Then you haven't seen him drive to the basket more than a couple times.
Agreed. If there is a player with a better rep for scoring in traffic near the basket I'd like to know who it is. Quis #1 asset is his ability to hit ridiculously improbably shots with his herky jerky drive to the lane followed by floaters, flips and what have you.

Naptown_Seth
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Great post with a couple funny one-liners.

Keep posting.
I agree, dead on post across the board Danman.

Also, Denari touches on this subject almost every telecast. We are one of the worst teams at finishing on 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 or pretty much any kind of fast break in the leagueAnd yet it's dramatically better than it was even 2 years ago. We've actually had a few times where a 2 on 1 ended up with a dunk. A few years ago I'd say with some confidence that we didn't see something like that one single time. Seriously.

That Quis miss that the OP mentioned was one of those, 2 on 1 but Diener was the other player and they didn't really work their lanes together at all. Plus TD's size hurt them too. TD needed to get out in front or trail much more so that Quis could either dump back to him or go on in when his man decided to defend TD. When you stay side by side like that the defender just has to keep his ground, and on top of that you tend to slow up trying to find that space and it allows a trailing defender to chase the play down.

This is exactly what happened on that play, they got the block and now you're 2 on 1 is a 4 on 3 roughly. A couple of guys force the action up court to the baseline and left them with an open 3 holding back. Frustrating.

BillS
03-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Agree with most everything but this.

I've seen TJ miss far too many unchallenged layups due to going too hard with his head down and ending up in the wrong place.

Most of the problems with TJ's game seem to me to be involved with his tendency to make a decision and then just go that way without being able to adjust for increased pressure (and so choosing to stop and pass before he gets trapped) or decreased pressure (and so slowing down a little so as not to overrun his spot or put the ball up too hard).

He seems to have good court vision when he looks where he is going and where the defenders and his teammates are, but he doesn't do it very often. A good night for him is when he guesses correctly before he "closes his eyes"; a bad night is when he guesses wrong or when the opponent manages to put players in his way at the right time.

BPump33
03-04-2009, 02:22 PM
On TJ, I would respond that some don't appreciate the degree of difficulty on someone his size getting shots off and down. He's creating and his window on a shot is tiny in the paint. Not saying he doesn't blow a few, but you have to give a PG creator a little leeway.

On breaks, we blow too many because we lack fast break finishers. Marquis is decent, Danny is good, and... it gets thin after that, doesn't it? I expect that Bird will draft the best wing or PF available, and I sure hope that player is a long leaper.

I don't think our points are very off. I think TJ is a great creator, I just don't think he always makes the best chioce and tries to force shots. Myself only being 5'9" and always being a PG completely agree that he deserves leeway and understand how difficult it is to go "amongst the trees." Sometimes I just wish he wouldn't try to force it and try to find the open man. For example, last night when he didn't have a shot and found Murphy at the top of the key for the three was brilliant.

On the fast break finishers, I was really hoping that Rush was going to come right in and be great at this. I'm pretty bummed about his finishing ability, but in the same breath understand how young he is and as he gains confidence I expect this problem to fix itself.

Either way, :buddies:

ChicagoJ
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Agree with most everything but this.

I've seen TJ miss far too many unchallenged layups due to going too hard with his head down and ending up in the wrong place.

Most of the problems with TJ's game seem to me to be involved with his tendency to make a decision and then just go that way without being able to adjust for increased pressure (and so choosing to stop and pass before he gets trapped) or decreased pressure (and so slowing down a little so as not to overrun his spot or put the ball up too hard).

He seems to have good court vision when he looks where he is going and where the defenders and his teammates are, but he doesn't do it very often. A good night for him is when he guesses correctly before he "closes his eyes"; a bad night is when he guesses wrong or when the opponent manages to put players in his way at the right time.

Well put.

Besides, it is never a high percentage play for a guy his size to shoot the ball when he is anywhere near the big guys.

His coach needs to be strong enough to convince him that "creativity" does not involve seeking his own shot unless he's really in an open court situation.

I think you overstate his court vision (I don't think it is any better than average/ adequate for an NBA point guard), but his bigger problem is the tunnel vision when he drives as opposed to seeing the court from the point.

El Pacero
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, I thought this was about TJ before I opened it.

Me too, Daniels is pretty much money on the inside. He can get around guys (not run into them) and make incredible shots.

Ford on the other hand probably misses 50% of his layups.

dohman
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Doesn't matter who misses the most. It matters who missed the most important!

Naptown_Seth
03-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Doesn't matter who misses the most. It matters who missed the most important!
The first 2 count as much as the last 2 in the overall total. Go ahead and get that 30 point lead and let them hit some crunchtime baskets to make it respectable, what do I care.

In other words, if you don't miss em early then you don't have to make them late just to save the game.