PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Day 3-3-09

Jose Slaughter
03-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok, there's just 20 games left in the season.

Who's the one Pacer you want to see on the court more than anyother?

jeffg-body
03-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Myself personally would like to see Rush continue to get time.

Jose Slaughter
03-03-2009, 01:45 AM
I left Dunleavy & Tinsley off the poll because both are out for the season.

Kemo
03-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Besides my obvious choice of Roy Hibbert and Rush ..

I choose Travis Diener ..

I enjoy watching him run our offense .. and would like to see him get around 20-22 mpg .. And I ESPECIALLY want to see him on the floor as our PG to close out games in the last 5 minutes of regulation..

Honorable mention goes to McRoberts .. I would really like to see him play throught the rest of the season... I think it is an absolute travisty , that he can't even get a good whiff of the parque ..

Bball
03-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Let's make sure Roy gets as many minutes as possible of a developmental nature.

Rush is a close second.

That doesn't mean at any one time I want to look at the court and hope to see them there like I would for a Danny Granger.... but it means looking back at a game just played I'd hope both of those guys got a chance to learn and contribute in this rebuilding year in each game.

Brad8888
03-03-2009, 02:04 AM
McRoberts could be the PF that we desperately need. We need to figure out between now and the end of the season if there is much hope that that is the case. If he shows the promise quite a few of us would expect, we can concentrate on other positions in the off season. If not, we can move on as a franchise and allow Josh to hopefully do the same.

Kemo
03-03-2009, 02:16 AM
McRoberts could be the PF that we desperately need. We need to figure out between now and the end of the season if there is much hope that that is the case. If he shows the promise quite a few of us would expect, we can concentrate on other positions in the off season. If not, we can move on as a franchise and allow Josh to hopefully do the same.

Absolutely , TOTALLY am in agreement ...
I just do not understand the logic in burying him 20ft from the bench ..

EVEN IF .. they are pullling a stunt to be able to re-sign him cheap .. It still makes no sense to me to not at least give him big minutes, and see if he can step into that role...

Me personally , I think he is more than capable of being that athletic PF we so desperately NEED ... I really see Josh as becoming a totally better all around younger replacement to Foster in the years to come... But I just don't see it in a Pacers uni , if TPTB keep holding him back ...

I believe that if we drop the ball with Josh, and end up losing him .. if he is given a chance elsewhere, he will end up being the player we dropped the ball with ..

Jose Slaughter
03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
If I had to narrow it down to just one guy it would be Hibbert, but I agree that Rush & McRoberts need to out there as much as possible.

kester99
03-03-2009, 02:34 AM
I voted McBob just because I find it inexplicable that he's not getting minutes. Rush, Roy, Danny and the rest will get their minutes. But, as pointed out by b8888, McRoberts could be the solution to a glaring need. I've watched this season faithfully, and I don't think McBob has gotten an adequate test of his potential.

It's time (or past time or shortly will be, depending on your assessment) to put a fork in our play-off hopes. Let's see how this enthusiastic, physically gifted guy can perform with regular minutes.

Another nice thread idea, Jose.

imawhat
03-03-2009, 03:56 AM
This is a very easy one for me, so I'll rank the entire team in order of my preference (minus Tins).

14. Stephen Graham
13. Maceo Baston
12. Rasho Nesterovic
11. Jeff Foster
10. Troy Murphy
9. Mike Dunleavy
8. T.J. Ford
7. Marquis Daniels
6. Travis Diener
5. Jarrett Jack
4. Josh McRoberts
3. Roy Hibbert
2. Brandon Rush
1. Danny Granger

I realize that my rankings are very skewed, but this is just my preference, nothing more.

I have McRoberts ranked really high because he intrigues more than any Pacer. Outside of one appearance, he's positively impacted every game he's been in, yet seems to be unable to find playing time. He plays very hard and he plays smart. The biggest knock on him is his jump shot, which doesn't look that bad to me.

I also put Diener up so high because he is the only point guard that makes our offense run smoothly. Jarrett plays too fast and TJ spends way too much time dribbling. Diener's almost a guaranteed lock to get us out of a rut, which is a problem we have every game. He needs more time.

The rookies are high because I want to see what they can do.

Foster has really fallen down my rankings this year. It's easily his worst year since Isiah, and I think he has little to offer (though he had a great game two or three games ago). He is consistently out of position on defense and has a habit of making poor decisions. If I didn't know any better, I would think he's a rookie.

Murphy's moved up the most, but I really don't like watching him play. He's probably had the 2nd best statistical year on the team, and he's improved considerably on defense, but I'd rather watch others play.

I really didn't want Jack or Ford that high, but they "should" be better than they are playing. Jack's had a nice stretch offensively, but there is NO reason he should be playing defense as poorly as he has.

RamBo_Lamar
03-03-2009, 05:13 AM
I had to go with Jack because I really like the way he's been stepping up to the plate
in DG's absence and trying to be a leader when he's out there.

OakMoses
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I realize that my rankings are very skewed, but this is just my preference, nothing more.

Actually, you're rankings are almost exactly what mine would be. We've got the same top 5 players at least. If you switch Rush and Granger, we'd be the same.

idioteque
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
McRoberts needs to play. Unless he completely dogs it in practice, he's done nothing to deserve the treatment he's gotten from O'Brien this year.

BillS
03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
McRoberts needs to play. Unless he completely dogs it in practice, he's done nothing to deserve the treatment he's gotten from O'Brien this year.

Yeah, it's amazing how a guy who got huge minutes during his rookie year can be so abused by sitting on the bench for the Pacers...

D'OH!

idioteque
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, it's amazing how a guy who got huge minutes during his rookie year can be so abused by sitting on the bench for the Pacers...

D'OH!

If you've watched McRoberts play AT ALL this season then you would know what you were saying does not make sense.

I'm not asking for 20 minutes a game, I'm asking for a decent test run. Is JOB your uncle or something, you seem to defend his every move, and I'm far from the biggest JOB skeptic on this board. It's really sort of odd to see someone walk in lock step with JOB, and hell I think he's an alright coach.

BillS
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Over the years I've seen a lot of players who give good in spot minutes but may not be considered more dependable than the people in the game.

We can argue a lot that the problem is not McRoberts, it is that JOB is blind to changes in his internal order, and there's nothing anyone can do to disprove it. I actually think that there is some of that involved - like most coaches, for a player to work from the bottom of the bench (or the old IR list) into playing time is the hardest thing in the world to do.

I feel, however, that JOB is far from the worst at playing young players if he sees there is potential. I also think McRoberts would have gotten more playing time last year (it looks like he wasn't even getting lots of garbage time minutes), which at least means another coach didn't see some kind of miracle PF in the making there.

Essentially, what is being said is that fans of McRoberts getting more playing time want to have proven to them during a game what JOB says (by his actions) he is seeing in practice. Ultimately, I think JOB feels that would be counterproductive to his game plans. At this point, he's the boss.

Yes, Josh has energy, but I'm not always sure how that works inside the flow of the game rather than as a way to disrupt things. When the flaw is that we are already disrupted, it doesn't add that much.

WetBob
03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I feel, however, that JOB is far from the worst at playing young players if he sees there is potential. I also think McRoberts would have gotten more playing time last year (it looks like he wasn't even getting lots of garbage time minutes), which at least means another coach didn't see some kind of miracle PF in the making there.

The Blazers had a front court of Pryzbilla, LA, Frye, Outlaw, and Raef's Contract. All with Oden waiting in the wings. Their future was already pretty crowded.

They weren't looking to develop McRoberts, they had no reason to want to.

Speed
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I'd guess McBob will get his chance and probably in a Pacers uniform. I bet they can keep him on the cheap, it would give him a chance to be in the summer league and all of the offseason workouts, since he's already home.

I keep forgetting how young he is, I believe if he would have stayed 4 years he'd be in this years draft.

I want him to play since the Pacers are 10 games under and my eye is to the future. However, I completely understand why he's not playing if he has veterans in front of him that Obie feels can help them win right now.

Again, I think McBob could have a big summer and really improve his game to the point where a coach will have to play him.

He needs to get a spot on the floor with a jump shot he NEVER misses. He needs to become a better shooter period. He needs to up his basketball IQ and focus that energy, learn to use different gears effectively. He has to be able to defend better, all around.

He's got alot of good things to offer, he just needs to put some of it together.
-----------------
As for the QOD, I put Danny, but I think my favorite thing this year has been Roy and rooting for his development. I find myself isolated on watching him and sometimes miss the play. I'm not sure why, I just think it's been awhile (never) since there has been a kid that big with the right mindset adn willing to work and not whine.

Mark Boyle called him the classiest player to come in as a rookie and show all of the right attitude and the willingness to work from the get go, ever in a Pacers uniform. That's quite a statement from someone who has been here basically longer than anyone but Slick, now. He said you won't find one person down at the Fieldhouse who didn't genuinely like Roy. I'm not saying that's the end all be all, but its a great start. His demeanor on the bench, in an interview, on the court. I can't help but root for the guy.

BPump33
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
On a McBob related note:

Watching this guy dunk in warm-ups is incredible. I have seen the Youtube videos of him in the H.S. dunk contests, but to see it in person is pretty awesome. He is extremely athletic and I would love to see him in an actual game on a breakaway. He could do a lot to bring the crowd into the game with some of those dunks. Also, if he could get some playing time I think he could get invited to the Dunk competition. I'm not saying that's an important thing, but it would be some nice publicity for us as an organization.

OakMoses
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
On a McBob related note:

Watching this guy dunk in warm-ups is incredible. I have seen the Youtube videos of him in the H.S. dunk contests, but to see it in person is pretty awesome. He is extremely athletic and I would love to see him in an actual game on a breakaway. He could do a lot to bring the crowd into the game with some of those dunks. Also, if he could get some playing time I think he could get invited to the Dunk competition. I'm not saying that's an important thing, but it would be some nice publicity for us as an organization.

He is quite an athlete. The problem seems to be that these dunks never show up in games. I like McRoberts and I'd love to see him playing every night, but even when he's played well, I've never seen him dunk in a game. I've seen him miss a couple put-back dunks that would have been spectacular. I don't know if it's a lack of strength or what, but he doesn't seem to know how to use his athleticism on offense.

WetBob
03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Also, if he could get some playing time I think he could get invited to the Dunk competition. I'm not saying that's an important thing, but it would be some nice publicity for us as an organization.

I've heard Marquis say (only half-joking) that one of his main goals for this season was to get McRoberts invited into the Dunk Contest.

BPump33
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
He is quite an athlete. The problem seems to be that these dunks never show up in games. I like McRoberts and I'd love to see him playing every night, but even when he's played well, I've never seen him dunk in a game. I've seen him miss a couple put-back dunks that would have been spectacular. I don't know if it's a lack of strength or what, but he doesn't seem to know how to use his athleticism on offense.

Yeah, that's why I threw the "breakaway" part in there. Those putbacks could have definitely been spectacular. McBob just brings an energy with him that's fun to watch. I realize that energy needs to be harnessed some, but he's young and hopefully he turns into a very solid player.

Doddage
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
At the beginning of the season and ordinarily, I would say Rush. But since he seems to be inconsistent, I'm going with Roy.

ABADays
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I can't remember the last rookie I have pulled so hard for than Hibbert.

pwee31
03-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I think I took the question the wrong way. With 20 games to go,and still being in the playoff hunt.. of course I want to se our all-star on the court. We're going to need Danny during this final playoff push.

If it's who do I want to see more minutes regardless of the playoff push, it would be Diener, Rush and McRoberts.

I would put Big Roy on the list, but I feel he's get his minutes if he could stay out of foul trouble

I also like what Quis has done when healthy

duke dynamite
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Let's say we do make the playoffs...

With the season we had...down-to-the-wire finishes, a new all-star, countless injuries, heartbreaking losses, and unbelievable wins...what a year!?

Soon, I'll be doing my year in review...but talk about it, guys!

Hoop
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I voted for Rush in this poll. I would like to see Hibbert continue to get playing time. I'd really like for McBob to get some playing time also.

Jose Slaughter
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I can't remember the last rookie I have pulled so hard for than Hibbert.

I do, Harrison

BRushWithDeath
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
If JOB read this thread we'd probably see a lot more TJ, Rasho, Maceo, and Graham.

duke dynamite
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
If JOB read this thread we'd probably see a lot more TJ, Rasho, Maceo, and Graham.
*slaps forehead*

idioteque
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Over the years I've seen a lot of players who give good in spot minutes but may not be considered more dependable than the people in the game.

We can argue a lot that the problem is not McRoberts, it is that JOB is blind to changes in his internal order, and there's nothing anyone can do to disprove it. I actually think that there is some of that involved - like most coaches, for a player to work from the bottom of the bench (or the old IR list) into playing time is the hardest thing in the world to do.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except for the fact I think Josh has changed quite a lot as a player compared to his first year at Portland. Someone posted a terrible scouting report about him slacking off in the D-League on here right after we got him in the trade last year. From what I've seen from Josh, he's hustled and worked as hard as he could every time he's been out on the court this year. Maybe its because he's back home or maybe because he finally realizes that he's going to have to play hard to earn a permanent spot in the league, but he's definitely been working much harder this year.

Really all I want out of McRoberts at this point is spot minutes. His ceiling is probably a Jeff Foster type player, which means he will probably have a relatively modest NBA career. I see him as playing a Ronny Turiaf or Josh Powell type role for this team. I don't think he is our miracle PF, but he could be a solid backup PF.

CableKC
03-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Unless he is continually making really knuckleheaded mistakes ( pretty much reaching David Harrison proportions ), then I want to see Hibbert get as many minutes as he can get until he fouls out.

MyFavMartin
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Roy.

If he's on the court, he's not in foul trouble.

Oh, and when he plays significant minutes, we win.