PDA

View Full Version : Kings Reach Buyout With Gooden; Spurs Favorites?

MillerTime
03-02-2009, 04:53 AM
The Sacramento Kings have reached a buyout with forward Drew Gooden, leaving the former Bull free to join a contender, according to Adrian Wojnarowski from Yahoo! Sports.

According to Wojnarowski, the San Antonio Spurs are favorites to sign Gooden, which would further strengthen a team many believe to be one of the best in the West.

The Kings saved themselves approximately $1.8 million with the buyout agreement.

The Spurs have wanted badly to add frontcourt help, and nearly pulled off a trade deadline deal for Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby. Gooden could give the Spurs much-needed size if they face the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference playoffs.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-goodenspurs030109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Yahoo! Sports
By Adrian Wojnarowski

MillerTime
03-02-2009, 04:54 AM
him and Duncan would be a nice front court.

DGPR
03-02-2009, 07:54 AM
The rich getting richer.

MillerTime
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
The rich getting richer.

I know....look at the Celtics. They just picked up Mikki More and Marbury for cheap. Now I wouldnt be surprised it Spurs pick up Gooden for the vet minimum

duke dynamite
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I thought the whole idea this weekend was to buyout Gooden so he could go back to Cleveland...

MillerTime
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I thought the whole idea this weekend was to buyout Gooden so he could go back to Cleveland...

guess not. I think Cavs might have some interest in Joe Smith. Gooden would be a good fit beside Timmy D. Though I would love Gooden to come to the Pacers (which would never happen right now)

OakMoses
03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I really hate this trend. I understand it when a guy sucks (like Mikki Moore) or is an idiot (like Marbury), but I really don't like it when a team is just obviously flushing their season down the toilet. How long will it be before teams start doing this with really good players? If Toronto's craptastic next year (they probably will be) and they can't trade Bosh, why not just buy him out, save a few million dollars, and let him go sign somewhere on the cheap and win a ring?

Major Cold
03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I really hate this trend. I understand it when a guy sucks (like Mikki Moore) or is an idiot (like Marbury), but I really don't like it when a team is just obviously flushing their season down the toilet. How long will it be before teams start doing this with really good players? If Toronto's craptastic next year (they probably will be) and they can't trade Bosh, why not just buy him out, save a few million dollars, and let him go sign somewhere on the cheap and win a ring?
This is a testament of how hard for money the NBA really is.

Jonathan
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I think a buyout is good for both sides on this matter. It showcases the game of a future free agent (Gooden) in the playoffs and frees some money for the Kings. The Kings can also play their youth, let them develop.

CableKC
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
The Kings aren't like the Pacers where they are 3-4 games out of the Playoffs.....they have the worst record in the league. Keeping a player like Gooden that would only take away minutes from their younger players wouldn't be preferable over trying to save a few million. In this particular case with the Kings and Gooden, this was purely a financial move.

switch
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I would bet that Gooden asked to be traded or bought out. The buyout is really a win-win for both teams; Gooden gets to go to a new team and possible a playoff contender, and the Kings save money which they are in huge need of these days. This doesn't appear to be any different than if the Pacers bought out Rasho imo. If a player doesn't want to be there anymore then I see nothing wrong with letting him go. (just a speculation though; not sure why anybody would want to continue playing for the Kings right now)

Fool
03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I think a buyout is good for both sides on this matter. It showcases the game of a future free agent (Gooden) in the playoffs and frees some money for the Kings. The Kings can also play their youth, let them develop.

I agree with this.

It's not the good teams that are letting go players when they still have a chance of doing something. This is the bad teams letting players go who might help teams that matter do something that matters.

flox
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
According to my sources in the Spurs organization a deal is close but the spurs may choose to not sign anyone at all. There is a sports hernia issue with Gooden, and the Spurs wanted Joe Smith followed by Stro Swift, but the first one is taking offers from the Lakers and Cavs more seriously, the latter is going to sign with the Suns soon.

Trader Joe
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
According to my sources in the Spurs organization a deal is close but the spurs may choose to not sign anyone at all. There is a sports hernia issue with Gooden, and the Spurs wanted Joe Smith followed by Stro Swift, but the first one is taking offers from the Lakers and Cavs more seriously, the latter is going to sign with the Suns soon.
:hmm::laugh:

flox
03-03-2009, 01:18 PM
:hmm::laugh:

Hmmm.

Chaz (NJ): Gooden to the Spurs, Swift to the Suns, Smith to the Lakers/Cavs. Does that sound about right?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:08 PM ET ) Yes. Sounds like Smith is heading to Cleveland. He's comfortable there and they could use him with Ben Wallace out ... though his best chance of winning a title is to go to LA. Swift would give the Suns some size but ... he's been such a big disappointment for so long, I don't see him really putting them over the top. Think Kwame Brown's addition to Detroit this year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Ford confirms what I've been hearing from my sources. =)

Major Cold
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
But these players cannot play in the playoffs.

flox
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
But these players cannot play in the playoffs.

Physically or by league rules..? They were wavied before the March 1st deadline.

The rule is that you cannot be on another NBA team at March 1st the latest in order to be in the playoffs. So a player like Robert Horry, who has not been in the league all season, could sign with the Spurs one day before the playoffs, and still suit up and be allowed to play for game 1.