PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game Thread: Pacers make their fans Proud

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Excellent effort tonight.

Roy with 10 points in 20 minutes and looked like a beast against Kmart.

Murphy, Jack, Foster, and Daniels also had strong games.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
6th straight home win and 13-2 at home?

Dr. Hibbert
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Excellent, excellent, excellent effort game. In the second half at least. Fourth quarter specifically. Foster, Murphy, Rasho, Quisy...even Jack, so many guys came up big when it counted.

LoneGranger33
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Murphy, Jack, Foster, and Murphy also had strong games.

Murphy was good too. Oh, and don't forget Troy. ;)

sweabs
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
A very good win on all accounts. I don't think many would have pegged this one as a W, but the guys fought hard.

The Pacers became very sloppy towards the end of the game.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Murphy was good too. Oh, and don't forget Troy. ;)

Meant Daniels.

Sorry Quisy!

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
JOB's tech seemed to help. Maybe the coach deserves some kudos for waking up the crowd and refs?

Naptown_Seth
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Murphy, Jack, Foster, and Murphy also had strong games.
(paraphrase of Blazing Saddles)
"You said Murphy twice."
"I like Murphy."

(ha, you edited it so fast that by the time I posted it was changed to Daniels)

Let's see, you put Quis and Rush on the floor together and you get tons of 105 or less scoring efforts by opponents. You remove them, especially Quis, and you give up 115 or more on a regular basis. It's not a coincidence.

We've ripped on Troy's inflated rebounding stats, but seriously if you just accept that and bump his numbers down to 9 or 10 per game the dude is still a 45% 3pt guy getting 9-10 legit boards per game. He's not always tough on the glass and he's not a great defender, but he's definitely a big factor in them winning some games.

Back to Quis, you want an example off "not in the box score", though technically it is - Jack gets stuck on the wing and Quis made that cut down the lane for the easy layup. That's a lot more than just two points in that situation late in the game, he saved that possession completely just by hustling smartly away from the ball. I hate, hate, hate losing Quis this summer. He's not just productive, he's a lot of fun to watch.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I like him too Seth.

I just don't see us moving any contracts so we could pick up the option. One can still hope.

PacersRule
03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
One word...

"WOW"

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree. I'm really gonna miss Quis.

LoneGranger33
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
At the end of last season, I wanted Murphy and Quis gone. No longer do I feel that way.

Maybe we could medically-retire Dunleavy a la Darius Miles?

PacersRule
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
At the end of last season, I wanted Murphy and Quis gone. No longer do I feel that way.

Along with Jack and Foster, they were the beasts tonight.

LoneGranger33
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Granted, both those guys aren't what they were last year, but still, it's a good thing I'm not the GM. Imagine where we'd be right now without them. Quis carried us in the beginning, Murphy carried us late (this season).

jeffg-body
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
What a game tonight, too bad we don't play every game at home.

Trader Joe
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree. I'm really gonna miss Quis.

Yep, his evolution this season has been profound. A Granger/Quis combo on the wings next season if we could upgrade at a couple other spots could have really been a great balance for us, and with Rush coming off the bench...Man that would have just been a very well rounded wing rotation.

As for Murphy, Gotta love that production. He's def earning his paycheck this season, his D still sucks, but if Hibbert can improve his D you've got an interesting setup in the front court.

Trader Joe
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
6th straight home win and 13-2 at home?

They have quietly become a fantastic home team this season.

PacersRule
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Before the game started, I thought it was going to like our last game againgst them, but who knows, we actually won! The Pacers are such a deep team. Imagine Lakers without Kobe/Gasol, Celtics without KG/Pierce, Cavs without LBJ/Williams, I doubt they'll even have a .300 record. Our players put their 200% effort out their tonight. Win or lose, that's all a fan can wish for.
As the title say, proud to be a Pacer.

Dr. Hibbert
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe dumb question, but why do the Pacers lose Quisy? Can they not afford to re-up him?

PacersRule
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Just wondering, does anyone think Anthony Carter looks kind of like Kenny Smith?

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Granted, both those guys aren't what they were last year, but still, it's a good thing I'm not the GM. Imagine where we'd be right now without them. Quis carried us in the beginning, Murphy carried us late (this season).

Is Quis having a good year because he's healthy or cause it's a contract year?

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Just wondering, does anyone think Anthony Carter looks kind of like Kenny Smith?

Yeah. I watched Roy's blog spot and thought Hibbert looks like TMac.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Maybe dumb question, but why do the Pacers lose Quisy? Can they not afford to re-up him?

It would take them over the luxury number along with resigning Jack.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybe we could medically-retire Dunleavy a la Darius Miles?

I'm sure Dun would seek out more a 2nd and 3rd medical opinion. If TMac is still unretired, Dunleavy will be.

vnzla81
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Is Quis having a good year because he's healthy or cause it's a contract year?

I would say the number one reason is contract year, give him an extention and he would be hurt most of the time

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I would say the number one reason is contract year, give him an extention and he would be hurt most of the time

I'd disagree with this and say it is because of health. I'm sure the contract year also has something to do with it, but Quis was really laboring last year. You can tell he's a different, much healthier player this year. Also, if you give him an extension, wouldn't it just be another contract year? I think you would see the same effort, if not more, from him next year as well.

I'm very proud of our team and how they responded to that run Denver went on to close the 3rd. They could have folded right there and everyone would understand because it's Denver, but they didn't and fought their way back.

vnzla81
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd disagree with this and say it is because of health. I'm sure the contract year also has something to do with it, but Quis was really laboring last year. You can tell he's a different, much healthier player this year. Also, if you give him an extension, wouldn't it just be another contract year? I think you would see the same effort, if not more, from him next year as well.

I'm very proud of our team and how they responded to that run Denver went on to close the 3rd. They could have folded right there and everyone would understand because it's Denver, but they didn't and fought their way back.

I think that if Dunleavy is not 100% next year the Pacers may pick Quis option, I don't think is a bad deal because they could use him in a trade for teams that want cap space in 2010

kester99
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
What possible reason would anyone have to assume that Quis' improved performance is NOT due to improved health? I'm not discounting completely the effect of being in a contract year, but if anything, it's a combination of factors, in my opinion.

I've certainly seen nothing from him that would indicate that he would start coasting if his contract was different.

count55
03-01-2009, 10:44 PM

It would take them over the luxury number along with resigning Jack.

I think that if Dunleavy is not 100% next year the Pacers may pick Quis option, I don't think is a bad deal because they could use him in a trade for teams that want cap space in 2010

Picking up Quis' option would almost certainly put the Pacers over the tax, and that would be without re-signing Jack. We only have $11mm left to sign six players next season, and Daniels would be $7.4, while the 1st round pick will be $2-2.5, leaving us only $1-2 to sign four players.

For that reason, it is my opinion that there is absolutely no chance that we'll pick up Daniels' option. I'm sure we'll try to sign him for less, but he would probably have a good shot at getting MLE money somewhere else. That, too, would be more than we would likely be able to afford.

Lord Helmet
03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I posted this in the Game Thread but I'll post again here, since I didn't see it.

Hibbert Highlights:

Sx6-uUIdMls&feature=channel_page
WnQyBRVvqGI&feature=channel

Good game for the Pacers. Hopefully Danny can return soon!

Coop
03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Good stuff LH. Thanks for posting that.

Dr. Hibbert
03-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I learned a lot about Hibbert tonight. JOB took him out partly due to foul trouble and mostly due to the effectiveness of Jeff and Rasho, and he didn't sulk or clown around. He was 100 percent into the game and was ecstatic at the end when the Pacers won. Looked like a little kid whose church league team pulled out a close one.

Similarly, Danny was really into the game too. Thought he was gonna choke a ref at one point.

Pacers4Life
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
anyone that was in attendance, how'd the fieldhouse crowd look tonight? Kinda hard to tell from the television...

Phenomenal game, i straight up told my g/f we were going to lose in the beginning of the 4th quarter....sooooo happy we didn't. PLAYOFF PUSSHHHH

Swingman
03-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm not a good judge of numbers but a lot of empty seats despite giving them away on facebook.

Might have been around 2/3s full.

McKeyFan
03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Realistically, what do we have to do to get into the playoffs?

Win, like, fifty percent of remaining games? Or do we need to go on a major run?

imawhat
03-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Realistically, what do we have to do to get into the playoffs?

Win, like, fifty percent of remaining games? Or do we need to go on a major run?

At 13-7, the remaining teams ahead of Indiana would have to go 10-10 or worse for us to make. It seems kind of unlikely.

Magic number may be 15-5.

kester99
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
I once thought 36-46 would contend for the 8th spot, with CHI, NY and us vying....that's the prize to whoever could play even slightly above .500 the rest of the way.

Since then, Milwaukee has refused to fold. (What's up with those jerks?) And we have not outperformed expectations. (Note: outperformed expectations without Granger, yes....good job, Murph, Marquis et al, but we have not gained ground.)

So we're in a position that must rely on the Bucks to crash and burn, and they're not doing so. We can do .500, finish at 36-46, but the Bucks would have to go 7-13 to do the same.

Not going to happen, any way I can see.

What up, BKK? How's Paris, ami?

Brad8888
03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
anyone that was in attendance, how'd the fieldhouse crowd look tonight? Kinda hard to tell from the television...

Phenomenal game, i straight up told my g/f we were going to lose in the beginning of the 4th quarter....sooooo happy we didn't. PLAYOFF PUSSHHHH

Lower bowl maybe 2/3 full = about 4000, club level a little less than half = about another 1000, upper about 1/4 full = about 2500, so approximately 7500, possibly 8,000 actually in the building in my opinion. Announced attendance which includes no shows was 12,458 according to the boxscore.

Shade
03-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Well, I'm now officially pulling for the playoffs again.

So many teams are playing better now without their "best" players (Pacers, Pistons, Suns, Bucks). Weirdness.

Shade
03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
If the other teams in the league continue to win/lose at the same pace they have for the entire season, then the Pacers will need to finish 39-43 (13-7) to nab the 8th spot. Very unlikely.

We're probably facing a worst-case scenario here: Pacers finish "strong" at 37-45, end up with the 9th spot in the East, 14th overall pick, and JOB gets extended.

BKK
03-02-2009, 04:37 AM
I once thought 36-46 would contend for the 8th spot, with CHI, NY and us vying....that's the prize to whoever could play even slightly above .500 the rest of the way.

Since then, Milwaukee has refused to fold. (What's up with those jerks?) And we have not outperformed expectations. (Note: outperformed expectations without Granger, yes....good job, Murph, Marquis et al, but we have not gained ground.)

So we're in a position that must rely on the Bucks to crash and burn, and they're not doing so. We can do .500, finish at 36-46, but the Bucks would have to go 7-13 to do the same.

Not going to happen, any way I can see.

What up, BKK? How's Paris, ami?

:D ahah thanks for asking man, I've been a bit quiet lately because of work (new mission) and finishing my thesis. I am now officially graduated and will receive my diploma in late March :happydanc

Still I never miss a good post game thread to see how our Pacers fare; I'm pretty happy with the development of the team and hope for a solid late playoff push. I totally agree with you on the Bucks and am like: you're supposed to fold, so.... WTF??? :laugh:

Paris is still a great city after one year abroad but man how I miss Bangkok!

Anyway I'll see you soon on the counting thread I promise

Peace ami :buddies:

Justin Tyme
03-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Talk about having a brain fart, I forgot the Pacers played, and I didn't watch what was apparently a good game. I can't believe I forgot and missed the game. Grr.

Unclebuck
03-02-2009, 08:17 AM
There seems to be many of you that ask the question, why is Jeff Foster ever in the game at the end. I don't think that question needs to be asked or answered anymore

Two reasons why the Bucks aren't falling apart. Skiles and Sessions.

Overall I think this was as good as any win the Pacers have had this entire season - up there with the Cavs, Lakers, Celts and Magic. This win was inspiring to me.

Also I wonder where all the Jack haters are right now

MyFavMartin
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Foster reminds me of Maximus:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

BKK
03-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Foster reminds me of Maximus:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

what more can I saaaaayyyy ??? :dance:

Justin Tyme
03-02-2009, 09:28 AM
There seems to be many of you that ask the question, why is Jeff Foster ever in the game at the end. I don't think that question needs to be asked or asnwered.

Two reasons why the Bucks aren't falling apart. Skiles and Sessions.

Overall I think this was as good as any win the Pacers have had this entire season - up there with the Cavs, Lakers, Celts and Magic. This win was inspiring to me.

Also I wonder where all the Jack haters are right now

I highly doubt Sessions will be a Buck next year. I would really like to see him in a Pacers uni next year, but that won't happen. I'd trade Ford and his 8 mil salary even for him.:) At Sessions salary, he is a steal this year. He may get a higher salary offer in FA than I had been feeling he would. A couple of teams with money this offseason could use a PG.

I'm not a big fan of Skiles, but lets give the man credit as a coach for stressing, insisting, and teaching his team to play "D" instead of just giving lip service to it.

Since I missed the game, I'm going to conclude from your statement and the fact nothing negative has been said about his play in the game that Jack had a good game.

BillS
03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I commented to Peck after the game that Rush's defense in the first quarter had me out of my seat at least twice. In one face-off (against Melo, I think), he must have correctly reacted to at least two stutter steps, two fakes at going up with the ball, and a side shift either direction - causing the shot to be forced and missed. It was a thing of beauty.

Rush's offense is taking time to reach NBA standards, but his defense is primo.

duke dynamite
03-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Absolutely a great game. Really fun to watch.

Anthem
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
We're probably facing a worst-case scenario here: Pacers finish "strong" at 37-45, end up with the 9th spot in the East, 14th overall pick, and JOB gets extended.
Yep. That's exactly what it looks like.

Country Boy
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM
My only question is did Troy get 18 boards or oh say 9 or 10? :dance::dance::dance:

duke dynamite
03-02-2009, 10:01 AM
My only question is did Troy get 18 boards or oh say 9 or 10? :dance::dance::dance:
Troy had 18 rebounds. That's all there is to it.

Country Boy
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Troy had 18 rebounds. That's all there is to it.

That was my point, he got 18 boards, not the discounted 9 or 10 some want to use as a fact.

OakMoses
03-02-2009, 10:21 AM
So many teams are playing better now without their "best" players (Pacers, Pistons, Suns, Bucks). Weirdness.

I think what's happening for the Pacers is that there are too many guys deferring to Danny on offense. Also, I think that O'Brien allowing Jack to play off the ball and giving him a green light has been a really smart move. He does some dumb stuff at times, but he's as good as anybody on the roster at creating his own shot.

You could be correct, but I doubt JOB gets extended this year. I think that happens at the all-star break next season (if we're over .500) or after we've clinched a playoff spot.

I'm not a big fan of Skiles, but lets give the man credit as a coach for stressing, insisting, and teaching his team to play "D" instead of just giving lip service to it.

Skiles was a very good coach in Chicago for a while. It'll be interesting to see if he learned anything. I think we'll know after next season. It took the Chicago players 2-3 years to start to hate him.

How will everyone feel if Jack is the starting 2-guard next season? If 'Quis is gone I could certainly see a Ford-Jack-Granger-Murphy-Hibbert starting lineup with Dun, Rush, and Foster as the primary bench guys.

Justin Tyme
03-02-2009, 10:34 AM

After reading your commentary in the post about Seth, I noticed Seth's subtle comment about Murph's 9 or 10 rebounds. Your post seems to be on the money. I'll have to watch in the future for this when reading his posts.

ReginaldWayne
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
If the other teams in the league continue to win/lose at the same pace they have for the entire season, then the Pacers will need to finish 39-43 (13-7) to nab the 8th spot. Very unlikely.

Well, if we can just make up 2 games from this point on and go into the final game of season 1 behind them w/o other teams leap frogging us, we can pull into a tie with them.

Then how does it work? Head to head record? Conference record?

naptownmenace
03-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Back to Quis, you want an example off "not in the box score", though technically it is - Jack gets stuck on the wing and Quis made that cut down the lane for the easy layup. That's a lot more than just two points in that situation late in the game, he saved that possession completely just by hustling smartly away from the ball. I hate, hate, hate losing Quis this summer. He's not just productive, he's a lot of fun to watch.

I'm not so sure Quis won't be back next season. I think that the Pacers will definitely consider re-signing him. He's the team's best defender and when he's healthy has a greater impact than Dunleavy, IMHO.

As someone else stated, when you put him, Rush (and I'll add Foster) on the floor together, the Pacers D goes up 2 notches. If he could just improve his 3 point-shooting he'd be a full-time starter for most teams in the league.

ReginaldWayne
03-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Picking up Quis' option would almost certainly put the Pacers over the tax, and that would be without re-signing Jack. We only have $11mm left to sign six players next season, and Daniels would be $7.4, while the 1st round pick will be $2-2.5, leaving us only $1-2 to sign four players.

For that reason, it is my opinion that there is absolutely no chance that we'll pick up Daniels' option. I'm sure we'll try to sign him for less, but he would probably have a good shot at getting MLE money somewhere else. That, too, would be more than we would likely be able to afford.

I'm not so sure Quis won't be back next season. I think that the Pacers will definitely consider re-signing him. He's the team's best defender and when he's healthy has a greater impact than Dunleavy, IMHO.

As someone else stated, when you put him, Rush (and I'll add Foster) on the floor together, the Pacers D goes up 2 notches. If he could just improve his 3 point-shooting he'd be a full-time starter for most teams in the league.

Then what do you say to the above statement ?

Anthem
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Then what do you say to the above statement ?
They can still re-sign him even if they don't pick up his option.

No team is going to break the bank for Marquis.

Justin Tyme
03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
You could be correct, but I doubt JOB gets extended this year. I think that happens at the all-star break next season (if we're over .500) or after we've clinched a playoff spot.

Skiles was a very good coach in Chicago for a while. It'll be interesting to see if he learned anything. I think we'll know after next season. It took the Chicago players 2-3 years to start to hate him.

How will everyone feel if Jack is the starting 2-guard next season? If 'Quis is gone I could certainly see a Ford-Jack-Granger-Murphy-Hibbert starting lineup with Dun, Rush, and Foster as the primary bench guys.

I would hope Bird's smarter than giving JO'B an extension this year. I hope Bird's smart enough to know not to give him one period. 3 years of JO'B run n gun with little "D" is about all the Pacers can afford. Personally, 2 years of his stubborness and inflexible coaching approch has been more than enough for me! His "I'm right and I'm willing to fail in order to prove my system will work" is more than I can handle.

Didn't he have the same problem at Phoenix? His grating style wears on players.

I would hope that Rush is starting at SG at least after the first 25 games next season. Hopefully, Rush will take the last 20 games this season to build on for the opportunity to start next year.

count55
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
They can still re-sign him even if they don't pick up his option.

Which is more or less what I said in the second paragraph that we'd try to do.

No team is going to break the bank for Marquis.

While I agree this is true, I'm pretty sure any offer north of $4mm is going to be out of our price range. It's going to be an interesting FA summer. I'm wondering if guys like Marquis will have a lot of trouble finding a home.

Anthem
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
While I agree this is true, I'm pretty sure any offer north of $4mm is going to be out of our price range.Agreed. But I don't think many teams in the No Benjamins Association is going to pay Quis that kind of money.

count55
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Agreed. But I don't think many teams in the No Benjamins Association is going to pay Quis that kind of money.

Question is: how long will he be willing to hold out hope?

How long are the Pacers going to leave 'Quis, Jack, or both hanging while they sort out who they want, and who they can afford? Right now, they can't have both (probably), so...

One issue is that they'll probably be more confident in being able to afford Jack, so Daniels will probably be left to test the market...and if they sign Jack, then it's a moot point.

It's difficult to tell which way, if either, the Pacers are leaning.

OakMoses
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM

I like 'Quis. I like Dun. I'm getting a little frustrated, however, by the "What have you done for me lately" nature of this conversation.

We need to keep in mind that we haven't seen a healthy Dunleavy play since the end of last season. Also, when he was healthy, he was clearly our second best player. He was also the only player on the team to have a positive +/- number over the course of last season.

Now that 'Quis is healthy, he looks great. We need to keep in mind, however, that he's already missed 15 games this season and has played less than 10 minutes in 2 more games. Last season was his healthiest season ever. He played 74 games, but played less than 10 minutes in 4 others. Previously he had never played in more than 62 games. 'Quis is an incredibly injury-prone player.

OakMoses
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
How long are the Pacers going to leave 'Quis, Jack, or both hanging while they sort out who they want, and who they can afford? Right now, they can't have both (probably), so...

What are the chances of Jack playing for the tender of $2.9 million? If no one gives him an offer-sheet that he likes (a la Ben Gordon), couldn't we just let him play for $2.9 million then become unrestricted. That should give us a little more room to try and sign 'Quis.

count55
03-02-2009, 12:06 PM
What are the chances of Jack playing for the tender of $2.9 million? If no one gives him an offer-sheet that he likes (a la Ben Gordon), couldn't we just let him play for $2.9 million then become unrestricted. That should give us a little more room to try and sign 'Quis.

Yeah, that's a possibility. However, I would think that Jack is would get some offers. He's young, and healthy, and having a good season. He should command less than the MLE (somewhat considerably), so almost every team could be a suitor from a cap perspective (not that all would be interested). I suspect we might offer the tender, allow him to test the waters, and then decide to match if we wanted...similar to what Houston did with Landry.

EDIT: Landry's a better comparison. Gordon had a larger offer from Chicago, then decided to only sign the tender. He hoped/hopes that he can get a bigger payday.

However, I bet he's (Gordon) going to really regret doing that. He's got the same problem he had last summer: he's an undersized shooting guard who can score really well, but it's difficult to tell how much he helps the team win. I have a hard time seeing any of the teams with cap space offering him a big contract. I'm guessing he might end up settling for the MLE someplace.

duke dynamite
03-02-2009, 12:25 PM
That was my point, he got 18 boards, not the discounted 9 or 10 some want to use as a fact.

Cool. Just making sure.

Justin Tyme
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
However, I bet he's (Gordon) going to really regret doing that.

I have a hard time seeing any of the teams with cap space offering him a big contract.

I'm guessing he might end up settling for the MLE someplace.

Yep.

I agree.

Poetic justice.

Justin Tyme
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
There are only 7 teams that will have money to go after FA this season with more than MLE type offers. There is going to be FA in all tiers that are not going to be getting the money they want. The economy is dictating this. It's going to make for an interesting off season.