PDA

View Full Version : Wizards

pacergod2
02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Troy Murphy 2 yr, 23.0M

for

Etan Thomas 1 yr, 7.4M
Mike James 1 yr, 6.5M

This trade maximizes the 125% rule and Washington cuts as much salary as possible by trading two players they don't consider part of their future. We do this for salary purposes and get back a Center. We take on an extra 2.8M in 2008-09. We get rid of Murphy's contract in 2010-11. That is a trade-off that the Wizards would probably take. We would probably end up trading those two at some point next year or just taking their salary relief.

I think the Wiz would be looking to trade one of these players for nothing to a team under the salary cap this year. I am thinking possibly a swap of first rounders with a team like OKC, who would only be a couple of picks behind the Wiz. But this might be a nice alternative for a team that is still looking to compete, while reducing payroll in 2009-10.

MillerTime
02-25-2009, 02:21 AM
1) Etan Thomas has 2 years left on his contract (this year and next). Murphy has has 3 years left on his contract (this season, and 2 others).
2) the salaries dont work out. We're taking too much salary back

DGPR
02-25-2009, 03:32 AM
1) Etan Thomas has 2 years left on his contract (this year and next). Murphy has has 3 years left on his contract (this season, and 2 others).
2) the salaries dont work out. We're taking too much salary back

If I were a guessing man, I'd guess that this was a trade meant for this summer.

MillerTime
02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
If I were a guessing man, I'd guess that this was a trade meant for this summer.

Well you'd also be guessing that Mike James picks up his player option this summer (because technically as of now he only has this season left on his contract). Either way, the salaries dont match, putting their contracts together is too much for Murphy's contract

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=celhq2

pacergod2
02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
MT, this trade is meant for the summer. There is no way that either Mike James or Etan Thomas opt out of their contracts. This trade does work when taking into consideration their contracts this summer. It works because of the 125% + 100,000. It actually needs the 100,000 part to work. That's why the trade is so attractive to the Wiz. They get a solid front court player and monetary relief of nearly $3M for next year. We get relief of 12M in 2010-2011. Plus, I think Etan would be a player we would want to keep around.