PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore of Pacers

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 08:09 AM
ESPN is doing the Mount Rushmore of each state. And when they get to Indiana I can only guess that Pacers will be left out (except for Bird, maybe).

So imagine with me. Imagine a mountain, over looking Indianapolis. Imagine four Pacer faces. Which Pacers should be on that Mount?

Jose Slaughter
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
The same 4 hanging from the rafters.

Brown, Daniels, McGinnis & Miller

the_reverend
02-20-2009, 08:44 AM

What about slick?

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah this is open to Coaches and Administration.

2minutes twowa
02-20-2009, 09:03 AM

I agree. If there were 5 spots, then I think slick is in, but there's only so much room on the mountain.

Brad8888
02-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Is it just basketball? I assume not. If not:

Larry Bird
Reggie Miller
Peyton Manning
Bob Knight

If it is just basketball:

Larry Bird
Reggie Miller
Oscar Robertson (due to Crispus Attucks)
Bob Knight

With just Pacers:

Mel Simon
Herb Simon
Reggie Miller
Roger Brown

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Is it just basketball? I assume not. If not:

Larry Bird
Reggie Miller
Peyton Manning
Bob Knight

Larry Bird
Reggie Miller
Bob Knight
I really don't know how much more I could have prefaced it.

Brad8888
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
I really don't know how much more I could have prefaced it.

While you posted this, I was in the process of modifying my post. Sorry to have offended you by focusing on the ESPN aspect as opposed to responding to your post directly. You even modified your original thought by your additional post regarding not just players being eligible. Hence my inclusion of both of the Simons, without whom we wouldn't even have this board because the franchise wouldn't exist.

Again, sorry :blush:

Kstat
02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Reggie Miller,Roger Brown, Donnie Walsh and Mel Daniels.

ABADays
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM

I agree.

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM
While you posted this, I was in the process of modifying my post. Sorry to have offended you by focusing on the ESPN aspect as opposed to responding to your post directly. You even modified your original thought by your additional post regarding not just players being eligible. Hence my inclusion of both of the Simons, without whom we wouldn't even have this board because the franchise wouldn't exist.

Again, sorry :blush:
Dude I might lose some sleep:laugh:. I really was not offended. No Biggie.

Kegboy
02-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Larry Bird
Reggie Miller
<S>Bob Knight</S> John Wooden
Fixed.

As for the topic at hand, the four retired jerseys, natch.

Brad8888
02-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Kegboy,

I bow to your vastly superior knowledge and wholeheartedly agree!

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I would have to go with Slick. Not only coaching but when I think of the 90s run I think of Boom Baby.

Slick
Brown
Daniels
Miller

count55
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Four faces is tough, but

Slick and Reggie are locks...

then you have to argue among Rajah, Mel, and Big Mac, and I'd guess that Mel might end up on the short end there.

huber14
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I would go with:
Ron Artest, Jermaine O'neal, Jamal Tinsley and Stephen Jackson

ChicagoJ
02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Four faces is tough, but

Slick and Reggie are locks...

then you have to argue among Rajah, Mel, and Big Mac, and I'd guess that Mel might end up on the short end there.

I concur.

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I would go with:
:-o:censored::banghead:

ChicagoJ
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
By the way, the Pennsylvania Mt. Rushmore does not have a single member of the six-time SB champion Steelers, so I can't imgaine that member of the Pacers makes this list.

My guess is that it is:

John Wooden
Bob Knight
Oscar Robertson
a race car driver, perhaps AJ or Mears

Mourning
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I would have to go with Slick. Not only coaching but when I think of the 90s run I think of Boom Baby.

Slick
Brown
Daniels
Miller

It's beyond me how you could leave Bird out of that one.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Now wait, let's take into account everybody or thing.

We have:
the four retired jerseys
Slick
Mark Boyle
Reb Porter
Boomer
The Simons
Larry Bird

And then basically any player of note...ever.

We'll narrow it from there, but it should be in all facets of the team.

Sollozzo
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
By the way, the Pennsylvania Mt. Rushmore does not have a single member of the six-time SB champion Steelers, so I can't imgaine that member of the Pacers makes this list.

My guess is that it is:

John Wooden
Bob Knight
Oscar Robertson
a race car driver, perhaps AJ or Mears

Peyton Manning will get more votes than any of those people maybe with the exception of Knight.

There is no way Manning doesn't make it.

pizza guy
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I would go with:

Exactly what I was thinking.

;)

But really, no way Manning doesn't make it, he put Indy on the football map where we'll hopefully stay forever. Not to mention, we're a "what have you done for me lately?" society.

I'd say Knight makes the cut over Wooden because, though Wooden is a Hoosier, he played at Purdue, and coached at ISU, he's most famous for his time at UCLA. Knight, however, was the head of the great basketball traditions of the state of Indiana for some time.

I hope Reggie makes it. There's been no other Indiana athlete that gave so much and got so close to the fans here. When Manning retires, there will be plenty of weeping and gnashing of teeth, but moreso for the certain doom of the Colts, IMO. When Reggie retired, we were sad because we were going to miss him, not just his play on the court.

The final spot will probably go to Big O or Big Mac. Hard for me to tell because they both preceded me by a number of years. But, it would be a crime if they didn't get one of ABADays' old timey picks on there. ;)

As for the Pacers Mount Rushmore, I'd say the 4 retired jerseys are almost certainly locked in. If anyone breaks in other than them, Slick would probably be the one. I don't think Walsh would get close really, though he may deserve it for managing a small market team so well for so long.

JBones19
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
How can you leave Greg Kite off the mount?

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
It's beyond me how you could leave Bird out of that one.
If this was all sports, all of Indiana I would agree. But for me in order to be etched in the granite you have to dramatically make your mark on the franchise.
Slick is because he coached the championships in the ABA and if the voice of the Pacers.
Roger Brown was the first player signed and had a formidable career.
Mel Daniels had productive years much like McGinnis. And later joined the staff in 1996. He also was an assistant coach with Indiana State when Larry Bird played.
McGinnis- What can I say he played with the Pacers both in the ABA and the NBA. He was a local high school star and a Hoosier star. I want to replace Brown with him. And I will.
Miller- Well what can I say about him that most don't already know.

For me it is who to leave off, rather than who to put on. Brown/Daniels/McGinnis should be a three headed monster.

Also EJ Bannon was the first President of Pacers. He should get the nod ahead of Bird IMHO.

Slick Pinkham
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
This is Indiana, and the "mountains" are pretty small, so I'll go with Billy Keller, Jerry Sichting, Haywoode Workman, and Freddie Lewis.

:)

CompACE
02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I would go with:

If they ever made a sculpture of this it would be HILARIOUS.

Imagine JO punching a Piston's fan while Tinsley getting hit by a chair in the foreground with Artest and Jackson going into the stands in the background etched into a giant rock slab. I'd pay to see that :D.

Major Cold
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Imagine JO punching a Piston's fan while Tinsley getting hit by a chair in the foreground with Artest and Jackson going into the stands in the background etched into a giant rock slab. I'd pay to see that :D.
You are sick.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM

If I was better with photoshop, I'd do it.

grace
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Who is on it if none of the Steelers are? Just shows me that ESPN is worthless.

ChicagoJ
02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Who is on it if none of the Steelers are? Just shows me that ESPN is worthless.

Joe Paterno
Wilt Chamberlain
Mario Lemioux
Roberto Clemente

Tough to pick Bradshaw, Mike Schmidt, or Dr. J over any of them, I guess.

Some of the comments in here are very myopic.

larry
02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
The fans picked the 4 reps from each state.
ESPN is taking the top 5 states & next letting the fans pick the winner.
California, NY, Alabama, & Penn are all in.
The 5th & final spot will be revealed on today's SC.

Our fans voted on Bird, Manning, Knight, & Wooden.
That may make the final 5.
Cali took Tiger, Wooden, Magic, & Jackie Robinson.
We match up pretty well I'd say.
Mass took Brady, so we are not out of line picking Manning.
I'd say that the lack of a baseball star will be our downfall.
ESPN will prob take Boston, oh I mean Mass for the 5th slot.

Also of note is Kentucky.
They have Ali & no other state can claim him.
The overlaps throw off the contest imo.
I don't think 'Bama when I think Mayes or Aaron.
Cali & NY both took Robinson.
As for Kentucky they have Rupp, Pitino, Ali, & Secretariat.
I hope they get the spot just to see a horse on the list.
Hahahahaha.

mxrider210
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
First person that comes to my mind is Damon Baily;)

larry
02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Looks like its gonna be Illinois. They just showed clips of Banks, MJ, Payton, & Ditka.
How can a guy like Ditka beat out Coach Knight or Wooden? MJ I can see.
I wanted to see a Mt. Rushmore horse.

larry
02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Sleepy eyed Sam Perking w/ would look cool on a mountain or even just a statue.
He is awesome!!

Sollozzo
02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Indiana's Mount Rushmore:

Bird, Knight, Manning and Wooden

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportscenter/news/story?id=3836486

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-25-2009, 01:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/090224

Here's ESPN's take on this subject.

YoSoyIndy
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM

No way Person should be ahead of Mel Daniels. What a joke.

Major Cold
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Chuck Person? WOW!!!!

count55
02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Chuck Person? WOW!!!!

I'm just waiting to hear J's comments on how relevant Clark Kellogg made the Pacers.

sloopjohnb
02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
No way Person should be ahead of Mel Daniels. What a joke.
Didn't Daniels play for the ABA-Pacers? But I guess, so to did Brown and McGinnis.

After further reading, I found that Scoop Jackson's article is based on NBA franchises, which must open his debate up to include any player--including the ABA teams.

I remember the Rifleman dropping some points on a few teams here and there, but Daniels is better and should be listed here. For that matter, of the more recent players for the Pacers, I'd place Rik Smits over Person.

Why? Because Smits happens!

count55
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Didn't Daniels play for the ABA-Pacers? But I guess, so to did Brown and McGinnis.

After further reading, I found that Scoop Jackson's article is based on NBA franchises, which must open his debate up to include any player--including the ABA teams.

I remember the Rifleman dropping some points on a few teams here and there, but Daniels is better and should be listed here. For that matter, of the more recent players for the Pacers, I'd place Rik Smits over Person.

Why? Because Smits happens!

Yeah, but he had Roger Brown on his list.

...Julius Erving for the Nets, and J never played a game in the NBA for anybody but the 76ers.

Bball
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I just saw some other people's original official ballots on this:

Donnie Walsh's ballot includes a vote for Rik Smits.

Peck's ballot just lists Dale Davis 4 times.

Hicks' ballot just lists Brad Miller 4 times.

A ballot signed "New Miami Resident" asks for there to be only one face on the mountain: Jermaine O'Neal. He says other faces would clog the mountain and plus this way the one face could be larger. He also asks that if a statue of any other players are erected at the base of the mountain only a Jermaine O'Neal statue should be allowed to have a basketball.

Uncle Buck originally voted for Ron Artest but then scratched the name out.

Naptown's original ballot was for Stephen Jackson and Rick Carlisle.

Kegboy voted for Larry Bird but put an asterisk beside it. The asterisk indicated sarcasm.

Grace voted for Scott Skiles and 3 random players from whatever team Skiles is coaching at the time.

Kstat voted to have the real Mount Rushmore sandblasted and replaced with Dumars and the Pistons' logo.

duke dynamite
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I just saw some other people's original official ballots on this:

Donnie Walsh's ballot includes a vote for Rik Smits.

Peck's ballot just lists Dale Davis 4 times.

Hicks' ballot just lists Brad Miller 4 times.

A ballot signed "New Miami Resident" asks for there to be only one face on the mountain: Jermaine O'Neal. He says other faces would clog the mountain and plus this way the one face could be larger. He also asks that if a statue of any other players are erected at the base of the mountain only a Jermaine O'Neal statue should be allowed to have a basketball.

Uncle Buck originally voted for Ron Artest but then scratched the name out.

Kegboy voted for Larry Bird but put an asterisk beside it. The asterisk indicated sarcasm.

Grace voted for Scott Skiles and 3 random players from whatever team Skiles is coaching at the time.

Kstat voted to have the real Mount Rushmore sandblasted and replaced with Dumars and the Pistons' logo.
Mike Dunleavy lol

Bball
02-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Mike Dunleavy lol

Yeah, I was going there but decided since you were nice enough to look into the DSL thing I'd leave you alone! ;)

...Plus... with Mike being out it took some humor out of it for me.

-Bball

duke dynamite
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I was going there but decided since you were nice enough to look into the DSL thing I'd leave you alone! ;)

...Plus... with Mike being out it took some humor out of it for me.

-Bball
It's all good.

But still, some would laugh.

grace
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM

You got that right. :highfive:

ChicagoJ
02-25-2009, 04:42 PM

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

There was a six-year period, between Clark Kellogg's exit and Reggie Miller's becoming Reggie Miller, when Person kept the Pacers from irrelevance.

So true. Without Person and the '87 and '91 playoffs, there may never have been the mid-90s Pacers. The excitement that Chuck put into professional basketball and the NBA playoffs, fresh from the Clark-Kellogg-96-wins-over-four-seasons era was astonishingly fundamental to what happened next.

Yes, Chuck hit a ceiling that was lower than we expected, and traded away in a bad trade that unfortunately made the team worse. But that does not take away from his contributions.

I'm amazed that a Johnny-come-lately organization like ESPN had the depth to recognize the importance of Chuck's contributions.

Even then, I'm still not sure I put him ahead of Mel. I guess the premise is that Mel, as the third option on a great team, did less than Chuck single-handedly carrying the Pacers from last place to the playoffs as a rookie, and then keeping them there until Reggie and Rik were ready for "prime time."

JayRedd
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/sml/mem.gif
Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Pau Gasol, O.J. Mayo, Bryant Reeves

Rationale: While in Vancouver as a David Stern experiment, Abdur-Rahim did everything he could to keep the franchise in the League. Once in Memphis, Gasol became the face of the franchise, even leading the team to three playoff berths. Mayo is everything the franchise is soon to be about. Big Country? He's on for the flat top alone.

That's awesome.

MyFavMartin
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Melanie and Stacy Paetz?

That's four, right?

pizza guy
02-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Melanie and Stacy Paetz?

That's four, right?

Totally off-topic, but I've gotta say...I love the new avatar!

I didn't realize Scoop Jackson was doing this Mt Rushmore thing or I wouldn't have bothered to click that link. I can't stand Scoop Jackson.

Interesting choice of Person, can't say either way personally, since that was pre-pizza guy. The others are solid, that's for sure.

Interesting that on the Indiana's list (as opposed to the Pacers specific list), only one made his mark on Indiana in the pro level. Knight, Wooden, and Bird all played or coached in Indiana in the college ranks. I'm a little surprised Reggie didn't make the list. Although, on the All-Time Greats list, I'd have to agree that Knight, Wooden, and Bird precede Reggie.

--pizza

switch
02-26-2009, 01:23 AM
I would go with:

I agree with Tinsley and Jackson, but I think Artest should be replaced with Jimmie Hunter and O'Neal should be replaced with Club Rio. Mine would look like this:

Tinsley
Jackson
Hunter
Club Rio:dance:

Just Kidding... The four names in the rafters are up there for a reason, they should be on the Pacers mountain as well.

Kegboy
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
That's awesome.

On a serious note, he's dead on about Rahim. He gets knocked for never being on a good team, and rightly so, but in his prime, he was playing 1-on-5 out there and doing a pretty decent job at it.

BlueNGold
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I would go with:

Hmmm. We do need them to model at least for the art work...and unfortunately it will be tough to find them these days considering they're scattered from coast to coast. ...and finding JO will be particularly difficult because he just keeps moving...:devil:

...oh, on second thought, we should have several copies of mug shots at the city-county building to choose from...;)

MillerTime
03-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Tinsley, Jax, Artest and David Harrison

Naptown_Seth
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
How can you leave Greg Kite off the mount?
Oh he'll be there. It's a high risk, low pay job scaling a mountain to hand carve 4 giant faces into it, likely to run long enough to involve a stint of winter work too.

There's only a few dudes hard up enough for the cash to take a job like that. ;)

"Greg, this is Scott, he'll be working with you today helping to carry tools and whatnot."

BruceLeeroy
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd roll with Zan Tabak, John Edwards, Diener, and the male cheerleader we had about 7 years back.

jk

Naptown_Seth
03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I'll accept that if I get to have Detlef and Mark Jackson too.

My personal Pacers fave 4 - Jax, Det, Dale and Mike Williams. Rick as top coach naturally. Jack as security guard since I know he'd keep things locked down as long as I gave him the Deputy Barney treatment (one bullet only, kept in pocket).

spazzxb
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
If I was better with photoshop, I'd do it.

Not worth the effort, but if you want to salute the badtimes, I bet you'll like this.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/spazzxb/pacerspacking.jpg