View Full Version : SAC/IND

pacergod2
02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
First trade idea after the deadline.

Sacramento gets:

Jamaal Tinsley

Indiana gets:

Kenny Thomas

We send Tinsley to Sacramento as a short term solution at PG. They take a chance on him, so they don't exclusively rely on Beno Udrih to be their PG. They just shed a TON of salary. They get rid of Thomas, who they have been shopping for two years now. Thomas is an expiring contract for us after next year and we get rid of the Tinman. Finally.

Kenny Thomas doesn't do much from a basketball perspective. He just comes in and is a veteran to help the younger guys develop. He plays spot minutes and his contract expires after the year is over.

Tinsley does a lot of good things for that team. He is their backup PG. He slows the tempo to feed their half court sets with Kevin Martin and Spencer Hawes. Tinsley played with Reggie Miller, which might parlay into helping Kevin Martin be better than he already is.

OakMoses
02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Tinsley does a lot of good things for that team. He is their backup PG.

Tinsley is a lot better than Beno Udrih.

OakMoses
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
A couple more ideas with Sacramento, postseason, predraft.

Pacers give: Marquis Daniels, 2009 first round pick

Sac gives: One of the following - Abdur-Rahim (1 year, $6.6 million), Kenny Thomas (1 year, 8.2 million), Andres Nocioni (3 years + team option, $7 million) + 2009 first round pick

Why?

Sacramento saves between 6.5 and 8 million. This would give them enough cap space to make a max offer to a free agent or make decent offers to a couple guys.

Indiana moves up into one of the top 3 picks of this draft. That should allow us to get a really good player. We take on at least one year of salary and a useless player, or a pretty good player for three years. If we do this deal, we can't resign Jack.

I'm not sure if either team would do this, but it's an idea.

pacergod2
02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
This is a great idea melli. There are two issues I see with it. We would likely take on Kenny Thomas. We would need to throw in another player like Deiner to keep us under the LT for just next year. I love the idea of getting in the top three of the draft. I only see this working if Sacto has the third pick and we are around 6 or 7. I think Sacto goes with Rubio or Griffin if indeed they are in the top 2. If those two are gone, then this becomes a lot more realistic.

MillerTime
03-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I wouldnt really call Tinsley a short term option when he had 2 years left

d_c
03-06-2009, 02:41 AM
The Maloofs have lost a lot of money the past couple years.

They just made a bunch of moves at the deadline, and every one of them involved dumping future salary. Trading Thomas' remaining 1 year for Tinsley's remaining 2 years runs completely counter to what they've been trying to do.

Doddage
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm sure the Kings would take Tinsley if we were willing to take back Udrih and the four years left on his deal. They then might be inclined to throw in some cash considerations and a 2nd since they'd be getting out of Udrih's contract.

I wouldn't want to do such deal though since that would affect our 2011 flexibility.

d_c
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm sure the Kings would take Tinsley if we were willing to take back Udrih and the four years left on his deal. They then might be inclined to throw in some cash considerations and a 2nd since they'd be getting out of Udrih's contract.

I wouldn't want to do such deal though since that would affect our 2011 flexibility.

The Kings would definitely be willing to do that (Udrih has another 3 years, Tinsley another 2). The obviously Pacers wouldn't.

The primary reason the Kings won't take Tinsley is because they already have Udrih. They wouldn't want two overpaid backups. So the only way they'd take Tinsley is if they sent Udrih back the other way, which of course the Pacers would say thanks but not thanks to.