PDA

View Full Version : Knicks get Larry Hughes, Chris Wilcox

flox
02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

Marc Stein: Word is coming in that the Knicks are closing in on some new players.

It is not immediately clear if this would be two separate trades or a three-way exchange, but I'm hearing that Oklahoma City's Chris Wilcox -- who went back to the Thunder on Wednesday night when the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded -- and Chicago's Larry Hughes are New York-bound.

To complete the transaction(s), Oklahoma City would get Malik Rose and Chicago would receive Tim Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson.

CableKC
02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm lost here.....why would the Thunder trade Wilcox for Rose ( as in 1 expiring Contract for another )?

What benefit do they get in doing that?

Is there other sweetner that the Thunder get from the Knicks or the Bulls?

Seriously, if the Thunder just wanted to swap Expiring Contracts and dump Wilcox....I would offer Marquis for Wilcox. I find it hard to believe that this is the best deal that the Thunder can get for Wilcox ( a productive rotational PF that is a solid Trading asset that happens to be an Expiring Contract ).

Jonathan
02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I no longer am a fan of Donnie Walsh. I think he knew all last year he was going to New York and refused to make a deal at the deadline for our organization. How many trades has he made now with the Knicks in half of a season?

count55
02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I no longer am a fan of Donnie Walsh. I think he knew all last year he was going to New York and refused to make a deal at the deadline for our organization. How many trades has he made now with the Knicks in half of a season?

Running the Knicks is a signficantly different beast than running the Pacers. Sure there are plenty of hardships, but there are also benefits. Deep pockets and the fact that NY is a "destination" city being chief among them.

Walsh would have to be a stone cold idiot to run the Knicks the way he ran the Pacers, and he probably would've been stupid to run the Pacers the way he's currently running the Knicks.

Jonathan
02-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I see a lot more activity from him this year. He has moved a lot of players Z Randolph, J Crawford, Jerome James, Mardy Collins, & Malik Rose. He might still swing a deal with J Jeffries before 3:00 PM today.

I do understand your point but why couldn't he make any trades with the Pacer's last year? Do you believe 100% it is the economy?

Slick Pinkham
02-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm lost here.....why would the Thunder trade Wilcox for Rose ( as in 1 expiring Contract for another )?

What benefit do they get in doing that?

Is there other sweetner that the Thunder get from the Knicks or the Bulls?

According to Stein at ESPN, the sweetener was not any picks but some cold hard cash thrown into the deal, from the Knicks.

Seems to be a couple of good deals for the Knicks, taking on nobody with a contract beyond next year and getting players that could fit. I'm sure that they would love to part with Curry or Jeffries, who have player options beyond next year, but that would take a heroic effort, given their high salaries and low (or no) production.

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I feel like the Knicks are going to sign Lebron, Wade, and Bosh and then try to play 3 on 5.

Since86
02-19-2009, 03:30 PM

I think it's more about the owners. Dolan is a little more open to taking chances. Whatever Donnie does will be better than what Isiah did, and he was pretty much working with an open check book.

Slick Pinkham
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I feel like the Knicks are going to sign Lebron, Wade, and Bosh and then try to play 3 on 5.

Right now if hoopshype is to be believed, they have 18 million committed in 2010-11 to 4 players.

That would leave about 40 million for 11 players, assuming a cap at around 58. If a max deal starts at around 18 mill for the 1st year (another assumption on my part), there seems to be little way of the Knicks getting 2 max players since they'd have only 4 million left for the other 9 on the roster. 4 draft picks, two each year, take care of at least half of that. What's left for the other five, on average, is perhaps even below the vet minimum, though.

If miraculously they could dump Curry then they could do 2 max deals for sure. If they dump Jeffries (>6 mill) then maybe.

It must make Displaced Knick feel funny to even consider the prospects of the Knicks getting below the cap.

Jonathan
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
According to Stein at ESPN, the sweetener was not any picks but some cold hard cash thrown into the deal, from the Knicks.

Seems to be a couple of good deals for the Knicks, taking on nobody with a contract beyond next year and getting players that could fit. I'm sure that they would love to part with Curry or Jeffries, who have player options beyond next year, but that would take a heroic effort, given their high salaries and low (or no) production.

Graham, Maceo, Tinsley, & Rahso

Work for Curry & Jeffries

Slick Pinkham
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
If Tinsley's contract ended next year the Knicks would do that. Maybe they would would do it anyway to get rid of Curry.

But from a Pacers fan perspective it would really suck. It would be much worse to have a non-playing Curry than a non-playing Tinsley, given the extra 5 million or so you'd be spending on Curry for 2 years, and another wad of cash for Jeffries.

Plus Curry is the last player you'd want in OB's offense. Finally, the finances of the deal, if presented to the Simons, would earn an instant veto even if the Knicks sweetened it with multiple draft picks.

Kstat
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
best deal of the day, IMO. NY subtly put themselves in great position to make a playoff run.

special ed
02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
$ure. They rid themselves of Jerome James and Tim Thomas, leftovers from the Isiah disaster.

Pacersfan46
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Larry Hughes on a running team, with that horrendous shot of his .....

This is gonna be great!

-- Steve --

avoidingtheclowns
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
$ure. They rid themselves of Jerome James and Tim Thomas, leftovers from the Isiah disaster.

tim was part of the clipper trade.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
This is kind of large. We've been short guards all season. But without Jerome James won't our bench start to levitate or something?

Dunno if it helps us enough to be a playoff team - but it might. Not sure what Chicago was after. Doesn't save 'em any money.

I'm not going to cry about getting Wilcox either. Seems like there ought to be more to that deal than an even Rose-Wilcox swap but maybe not.

grace
02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Not sure what Chicago was after. Doesn't save 'em any money.

It gets Larry Hughes off their team. That's all they really wanted.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
It gets Larry Hughes off their team. That's all they really wanted.

Yeah but they get Jerome James - the team buffet just got destroyed.

wintermute
02-20-2009, 07:27 AM
doesn't anyone see the irony of tim thomas going from new york to chicago in a trade - again?

maybe the bulls will actually keep him around this time, though.

grace
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
doesn't anyone see the irony of tim thomas going from new york to chicago in a trade - again?

maybe the bulls will actually keep him around this time, though.

I'm sure Tim sees the irony. The first thing he probably did was ask if they're actually going to let him into the arena this time.