PDA

View Full Version : How do we make lemonade out of our lemons?

Brad8888
02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
How should our franchise change, if at all, from top to bottom, to address its problems, from a player development / trade standpoint, coaching change / improvement standpoint, and how can overall fan experience relative to dollars paid by those who actually attend games be improved to encourage ticket sales and begin to address the financial problems faced by the franchise and insure its viability going forward?

These questions are, in my opinion, important, both as we continue forward with our core players decimated by injuries for the remainder of this season, and into the upcoming offseason.

In that there are numerous variables, and all of these issues are interconnected in various ways, I feel like it might be interesting to truly place ourselves in the position of the Simon family and attempt to formulate a reasonable strategy based on what knowledge that we as fans have of all of the different intricacies inherent in the known issues faced by their family in the operation of the franchise.

I am hopeful that this will lead constructively to at least an outline of the overall picture of the franchise on the whole, and lead to an actual appreciation of the difficulties that the Simon's face while trying to give us, as fans, what we want from their franchise. Ultimately, the buck stops with them.

Major Cold
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
I personally think that the lemonade will be tart for another 3 years no matter what changes are made.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
When life gives you lemons...YOU FIND A NEW GOD!

RamBo_Lamar
02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I am not seeing lemons at all, and think the Pacers have been doing a great job of
moving away from the trauma of the last few years, and putting the franchise back
on the right track.

Frankly what I am starting to get really sick and tired of are all the impatient whiners
who keep demanding instant gratification, and are so shortsighted as to expect a
contending team to be pieced together overnight.

Keep up the great work TPTB - some of us really do appreciate the great efforts
and sacrifices you are making.

jhondog28
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Here is the fix sign a big name player, pay the freaking luxury tax and have that one person who is instatntly marketable. Pacers are in purgatory right now. they are not bad enough to play the lottery and they are not good enough to even get into the playoffs. Granger is not an instant marketable player. Do what you can to trade for a big name marketable player and market the hell out of the guy. Yes money will suck and will put the Simons into some financial hardships, but you got to take a risk. When your team is bad, people get frustrated and do not go to games, you do not get any marketability on television. Hey I understand why people are saying tank and i also understand the people wanting a playoff push, but right now the huge problem I see is a top ten marketable player that would attract people. When you win people will show up and most of those marketable players are marketable for a reason. They are just flat out good and will improve the team no matter what the cost. Hey just my opinion.

Brad8888
02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I am not seeing lemons at all, and think the Pacers have been doing a great job of
moving away from the trauma of the last few years, and putting the franchise back
on the right track.

Frankly what I am starting to get really sick and tired of are all the impatient whiners
who keep demanding instant gratification, and are so shortsighted as to expect a
contending team to be pieced together overnight.

Keep up the great work TPTB - some of us really do appreciate the great efforts
and sacrifices you are making.

So, would you say that the organization needs to do a better job of educating the impatient whiners as to why they shouldn't expect a contending team overnight by revealing a little more detail as to what goes into their decision making processes? I feel like progress has been made this season in particular, but also that we can do better, even with what we have had to work with so far this season.

Not considering our franchise to have any lemons (problems) at all is a little extreme, with the injuries the team has had and is currently facing going forward being just the tip of the iceberg. Attendance is still extremely poor, with what little improvement that has occurred this season coming from heavily reduced prices to the general public with virtually no compensation to the existing season ticket holders. This is a major contributing factor to the financial difficulties the franchise faces, especially with the economy being what it is at this point. On top of that, a lot of corporate held seats are still going unused for a lot of the games, which means that it is nearly impossible to even give away the good seats to employees or clients due to the apathetic attitude of a lot of people toward the Pacers at this time. When the elite teams come to town, nearly every seat, including the corporate held seats, is full, especially when there are deep discounts also available for those games. The rest of the time, there is no way that we are ever remotely close in actual attendance to the announced attendance which is based on "sold" tickets, including free tickets that are processed through Ticketmaster and therefore have a minimal transaction fee attached. This impacts merchandise and concession sales, which impacts vendor participation at the Fieldhouse and the number of employees that are available on a consistent basis to provide the services that we are accustomed to when we attend games, and especially when games are heavily attended. Quality people that are capable of handling the expanded workload are difficult to have available on an occasional, variable, part time basis.

As a full season ticket holder on the club level who is on the fence about renewing, and who knows others around me who likely will not renew, I realize at least somewhat what the franchise must be facing just in its efforts to sell tickets for anywhere near what it takes to cover their costs without significant structural changes in their business model.

This, again, is only a very small part of the overall picture. My hopes for this thread is to stimulate meaningful dialogue that will lead those of us who are interested to have a better overall understanding of the decision making process that the franchise faces so that fewer of us will be, as you put it, impatient whiners, without just cause to whine about the track the team follows going forward.

ChicagoJ
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
So, would you say that the organization needs to do a better job of educating the impatient whiners as to why they shouldn't expect a contending team overnight by revealing a little more detail as to what goes into their decision making processes? I feel like progress has been made this season in particular, but also that we can do better, even with what we have had to work with so far this season.

Yes. But we're still another draft or two away from having everything we need.

RamBo_Lamar
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
So, would you say that the organization needs to
do a better job of educating the impatient whiners as to why they
shouldn't expect a contending team overnight by revealing a little more
detail as to what goes into their decision making processes?

No, not at all. They should keep their decision making processes close to
their vests. Every other team out there would like more insight into the
decision making processes too, and I'm sure you've heard the saying about
"loose lips".

I feel like progress has been made this season in particular, but also that
we can do better, even with what we have had to work with so far this
season.

Agreed. There have been quite a few disappointing losses this season, but
I believe some of these should have been expected considering the
circumstances of being the beginning of an extensive rebuilding.

Not considering our franchise to have any lemons (problems) at all is a little
extreme, with the injuries the team has had and is currently facing going
forward being just the tip of the iceberg.

Nothing in the NBA is perfect, and there are always problems cropping up
for every team. Personally, I really like the players that have been brought
in, and everyone else associated with trying to get this team on the right
track. I suppose my being averse to viewing them as "lemons" is just a
personal problem with me - my apologies.

Attendance is still extremely poor, with what little improvement that has
occurred this season coming from heavily reduced prices to the general
public with virtually no compensation to the existing season ticket holders.
This is a major contributing factor to the financial difficulties the franchise
faces, especially with the economy being what it is at this point. On top of
that, a lot of corporate held seats are still going unused for a lot of the
games, which means that it is nearly impossible to even give away the
good seats to employees or clients due to the apathetic attitude of a lot of
people toward the Pacers at this time. When the elite teams come to
town, nearly every seat, including the corporate held seats, is full,
especially when there are deep discounts also available for those games.
The rest of the time, there is no way that we are ever remotely close in
actual attendance to the announced attendance which is based on "sold"
tickets, including free tickets that are processed through Ticketmaster and
therefore have a minimal transaction fee attached. This impacts
merchandise and concession sales, which impacts vendor participation at
the Fieldhouse and the number of employees that are available on a
consistent basis to provide the services that we are accustomed to when
we attend games, and especially when games are heavily attended. Quality
people that are capable of handling the expanded workload are difficult to
have available on an occasional, variable, part time basis.

Exactly why TPTB is doing whatever they can to get a consistently winning
team back out on the floor. Once again, a rebuilding effort of this magnitude
doesn't just happen, and it can take a few seasons to really start getting
things dialed in and becoming championship caliber. They are off to a
very good start in my opinion.

As a full season ticket holder on the club level who is on the fence about
renewing, and who knows others around me who likely will not renew, I
realize at least somewhat what the franchise must be facing just in its
efforts to sell tickets for anywhere near what it takes to cover their costs
without significant structural changes in their business model.

I commend and take my hat off to you for your support of the team.
Not being a season ticket holder, I make it to few games by comparison.
As for "significant structural changes in their business model", I would
wager outsiders such as us who are not privy to their inner workings
are relatively clueless compared to the minds they already have at work
on accomplishing this.

This, again, is only a very small part of the overall picture. My hopes for
this thread is to stimulate meaningful dialogue that will lead those of us
who are interested to have a better overall understanding of the decision
making process that the franchise faces so that fewer of us will be, as you
put it, impatient whiners, without just cause to whine about the track the
team follows going forward.

Fair enough. And I will try to not get worked up over perceived impatient
whining.

We all want our team to succeed, but I'm just saying it obviously is going
to take a bit longer than many seem to (I believe unrealistically) expect.

Anyway, have a great day fellow Pacer fan - things are looking up!

:boomer: