PDA

View Full Version : Are the Clippers the worst franchise in the NBA? American professionl sports?

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Just a thought to ponder....
I'd have to say yes right now.

What are the odds that they ruin Eric Gordon's career? I'd have to think they are pretty solid.

ToasterBusVIP
02-19-2009, 03:22 AM
Just a thought to ponder....
I'd have to say yes right now.

What are the odds that they ruin Eric Gordon's career? I'd have to think they are pretty solid.

Let's start a "free EG!" movement!

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 03:23 AM
BTW, I'm not really trying to rip on the Clippers, just trying to provoke some NBA convo that doesn't involve the Pacers. Since everyone is a bit on edge over the team right now.

jhondog28
02-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I know they have not been around as long but my beloved Texas Rangers are pretty bad. I think they have the longest tenure of never being to the championship of any professional sports team since their existence. but yes the Clippers are pretty horrible and i am sure if I thought about it there might be a NHL team out there that is pretty terrible.

RaptorsFan
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Arent the pacers in crazy debt? More then any other team?

ChicagoJ
02-19-2009, 10:34 AM
The Clippers make a pretty nice profit, especially since they benefit from Staples Center. It depends on your measuring stick.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I think if you're looking for worst in all sports the Lions have to get consideration (excluding minor sports - I'm sure there's an oddball team in the National Curling Association or something). Not sure where I put the Clips in the NBA - toward the bottom anyway.

count55
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Arent the pacers in crazy debt? More then any other team?

I think the Pacers are losing money, but it's difficult to tell where they stand among other teams. I do not think there is much in the way of debt, at least not Third Party debt, but that's just a supposition.

They are not, for example, a top team in the West looking to dump salary while reducing talent, as New Orleans just tried to do, and has Phoenix recently was rumored.

The Clippers make a pretty nice profit, especially since they benefit from Staples Center. It depends on your measuring stick.

The Clips are the classic example of a sports franchise being run as a business first and foremost. They have put themselves in a position where they turn a very nice profit, and they don't particularly have to worry about the product they put on the floor.

They're relatively poorly run by basketball or sports standards, but as a business, they're pretty respectable.

RaptorsFan
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
The raptors are very much like the clippers then, we have no intentions of really winning, but have one of the richest ownerships that turns massive profits yearly :(

I read something about the Pacers being 200mil in debT?? Im going to go look for the article, perhaps it was all BS?

count55
02-19-2009, 10:51 AM
The raptors are very much like the clippers then, we have no intentions of really winning, but have one of the richest ownerships that turns massive profits yearly :(

I read something about the Pacers being 200mil in debT?? Im going to go look for the article, perhaps it was all BS?

There's difference between claiming $200mm in losses over the last 25 years, and actually having $200 million in debt.

denmunny6
02-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Not even close to the worst franchise in sports. At least in my lifetime (20 years) that dubious distinction MUST go to my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates. the good thing is I can lose emotional interest in the baseball season July 1st every year and start focusing on DA Colts!

Roaming Gnome
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I think Chi-J is right on the "money" about what is the measuring stick. Season after season Donald Sterling is looking at black ink instead of red ink at the bottom of the ledger.

As frugal as they are in assembling a basketball team, people still go to the games and Sterling still makes money. I'm sure if Central Indiana had the metro population that L.A. has... The Pacers probably wouldn't have to worry about attendance no matter if they wanted to be competitive or just make money.

IMO, the Clippers are not the worst run franchise in the NBA or sports in general. It's hard to be the worst when your making money on something most owners are losing money on.

jhondog28
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Not even close to the worst franchise in sports. At least in my lifetime (20 years) that dubious distinction MUST go to my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates. the good thing is I can lose emotional interest in the baseball season July 1st every year and start focusing on DA Colts!

Pirates are not even close to being the worst in history in my opinion they had some good years when they had Drybek (sp?) and when bonds was there. As I recall they were in the championship games against the Braves a couple of times.

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
My measuring stick is actually putting a good product on the floor or attempting to. Something I don't think the Clippers have tried to do in years. Their trades make no sense their coach should have been fired a while ago. Just seems like in terms of actually being a "sports" franchise they are a total joke. At least in Detroit, I'd imagine people at the games actually care for the Lions. I'd bet going to the Clippers game is just going to a bar or a night club. You go just to go.

ChicagoJ
02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Like Cubs fans going to Wriggley Field? Its not known as the World's Greatest Bar because the team is well-run.

Shade
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I was very disappointed when the Clippers drafted Gordon. The Clips are a disgrace to professional sports franchises.

Jonathan
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Pirates are not even close to being the worst in history in my opinion they had some good years when they had Drybek (sp?) and when bonds was there. As I recall they were in the championship games against the Braves a couple of times.

Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke what a great outfield.

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Like Cubs fans going to Wriggley Field? Its not known as the World's Greatest Bar because the team is well-run.

I feel like a lot of the people who go to Cubs games during the regular season probably aren't even Cubs fans. The Cubs are like the bizarro Yankees.

Sollozzo
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
My measuring stick is actually putting a good product on the floor or attempting to. Something I don't think the Clippers have tried to do in years. Their trades make no sense their coach should have been fired a while ago. Just seems like in terms of actually being a "sports" franchise they are a total joke. At least in Detroit, I'd imagine people at the games actually care for the Lions. I'd bet going to the Clippers game is just going to a bar or a night club. You go just to go.

The Clipps actually did win a playoff series 3 years ago and then lost to Phoenix in 7 in the semis.

It's going to be hard for them to screw a talent like Gordon up.

Kstat
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.nflfanstore.com/lions/lionsfl.jpg

dohman
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
The Clipps actually did win a playoff series 3 years ago and then lost to Phoenix in 7 in the semis.

It's going to be hard for them to screw a talent like Gordon up.

I would hope they eventually would. They had top 5 picks for like 10 years straight. That much talent every year has to eventually get to the playoffs.

QuickRelease
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I was very disappointed when the Clippers drafted Gordon. The Clips are a disgrace to professional sports franchises.

Yes, what with their race and age discrimination toward Elgin Baylor in letting him go after 22 years. He was just about to have it all figured out by year 23. They will rue the day! They will rue the day! Noone shows that kind of impatience and gets away! Bring on the lawsuit :lynchmob:

shags
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
http://www.nflfanstore.com/lions/lionsfl.jpg

:D

I was waiting for that.

jhondog28
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
:D

I was waiting for that.

If we were ranking worst GMs in the past 20 years i think Millen and Baylor would be 1 and 2 but the Lions did go to the NFC championship not too long ago and lost to rypien and the redskins. So again you make it that far you are not one of the worst franchises in history. i think you may have to look at franchises such as the Hartford Whalers or the Texas Rangers and the LA Clippers and probably throw in from the NFL the Pheonix cardinals until this year.

Kstat
02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
The Lions won ONE playoff game over the last 51 years. You cannot tell me they aren't at the top of the list.

jhondog28
02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
My Texas Rangers have not won anything in their history. I see your Lions and raise you my Rangers. But I agree both are teams are pretty bad.

Roaming Gnome
02-19-2009, 11:32 PM
My Texas Rangers have not won anything in their history. I see your Lions and raise you my Rangers. But I agree both are teams are pretty bad.
The Clippers don't stand a chance in this "suck fest". Anyway, why is Shade concerned about Eric Gordon? It's not like the Clippers resign any of their rookies once they go off their rookie deal. He just has to survive his first 4 years.