PDA

View Full Version : My White Flag Manifesto

02-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Let’s face it, the only way anyone is making cash in this economy is by folding it in half. With that being said, many teams seem to be having fire sales for expiring contracts. Not to mention, the LeBron sweepstakes is heating up, and teams seem to be willing to sell their soul or risk it all for a peice of the action. This creates an incredible opportunity for the Indiana Pacers who have a pile of soon-to-be fulfilled contracts, a lottery pick, and a few tradeable assets. The only question is, “What’s stopping us from pulling the trigger?”

[1] Opportunity, outside of Chicago (*Division) which teams are dealing promising young players that fir our needs? [2] Cash flow. I am almost certain the Indiana Pacers are thinking dollars and cents – particularly in this economy. After all, why didn’t a Tyson Chandler for Rasho rumor emerge? Simple, because Tyson is going to cost too much money. Until the Fieldhouse lease has been renegotiated (ergo, the Pacers get a few incentives such as concessions) I am fairly certain management will play very conservative. [3] A certain belief that this team is playoff capable and playoff worthy.

In regard to number “3” I must say that until tonight, I once believed the reverse. In fact, hearing Jim talk playoffs over the past days has made me an enthusiastic believer – until tonight. Apparently I was one disheartening loss and a Danny Granger injury away from a Jim Mora press conference epiphany (Playoffs?).

Granted Morway and Bird have done a fantastic job rebuilding and retooling this team on the fly, but we are simply not playoff capable or playoff worthy. We have to confront that issue, and in response to number “2”I am fully aware that playoffs equal cash, and God knows the Pacer’s organization is in need of cash. But trying to package and sell a hopeless playoff push will certainly not turn any dimes for the Simons or rebuild our fickle fan base.

Take for instance the Portland Trailblazers. Just a few years ago they were the “Jailblazers.” However, the rebuilt there team, and sold their product to their current fan base. As they began, I believe their slogan was, “There’s no doubt the Trailblazers are going to be good – just not yet.” It was an honest evaluation of an exciting team that exceeded fan expectations rather than failing to meet fan expectations.

It’s the right time to make a move, and it’s time to raise the white flag. I’m not suggesting that we completely “give up.” Our players should continue to play hard and the coaching staff should prepare to win each game. The Pacer’s management should make the right changes and acquisitions to insure our best position in the 2009 NBA draft. After all, 09’ is bound to be a lack-luster free agent market, and the potential prospects of a lottery pick could change our teams future indefinitely or expand our ability to make a trade.

With that being said, this is my 2009 “White Flag Manifesto” i.e., the moves we should make now.

1. Resolve the Tinsley situation. Either make the trade or pay the player. Do not allow him to create more damage or make this any more of a public situation than it already is, and do not allow him to go into the summer under Pacer's contract.
2. Establish a rotation of players that benefits the Pacer’s long term talent and cohesiveness.
3. Realize that the 09’ is a thin crop of unrestricted free agents and little quality will be available - barring a miracle.
4. Consider everyone and everything (including lottery draft picks) expendable except Danny Granger.
5. Find Danny Granger’s side kick before the 2010 tipoff. Don’t settle for a role player and don’t role the dice. Acquire a SG or a PF that will play beside and compliment Danny for the next decade while everyone else is distracted by the upcoming LeBron sweepstakes.
6. Trade Dunleavy for a dish washer, expiring scrap contracts, or as a potential component in the Danny side-kick deal. Make you decision quick while his stock is still high from his 08’ campaign, and before we discover that his knee is a chronic issue.
7. Fight your urge to trade or abandon Troy Murphy (within reason), as he may be one of the most valuable and interesting 6<SUP>th</SUP> man prospects in the league.
8. Commit to the Ford/Jack one-two punch (again, within reason), as it hasn’t reached its full potential.
9a. Dump every resource you have into refining Roy Hibbert’s game.
9b. Dump every thing else into the draft.
10. Sell this team for what it is – “A work of art in progress” not a one and done playoff team at best.

jeffg-body
02-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Good overview of the situation we are in and I couldn't agree more.

ToasterBusVIP
02-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Yeah, it's frustrating to see us not taking advantage of the selling-spree that is the NBA market right now. I couldn't beleive Chandler was let go so easily! Especially considering what he's meant to that team this year. I think you're right, I definitely think we could have had him, if we were willing to give up enough of our expirings.

I'm still holding out hope that Rasho & Quis' e.c.'s will net us a nice player before the deadline tomorrow. In reality, doing so is no different than us letting those contracts expire and then offering $10-12 mil a year to a star player, and that is what we need in order to turn this team into a contender.

owl
02-19-2009, 06:33 AM
I believe the Pacers are not going to make any big moves until Dunleavy and Troy are in the last year of their contract and expiring. Then the Pacers will be aggressive with
acquiring a star to put along side Danny. Until then it will be draft and bringing in some
secondary players to improve depth and defense. This is about saving money and
getting better the right way. They will NOT be taking on any more long contracts.

flox
02-19-2009, 06:34 AM
I really don't se any GM accepting the contracts we have that are long term. Toooo big

Justin Tyme
02-19-2009, 08:01 AM
I couldn't beleive Chandler was let go so easily! Especially considering what he's meant to that team this year. I think you're right, I definitely think we could have had him, if we were willing to give up enough of our expirings.

The deal fell through. He's still a Hornet and probably still on the market.

Will Galen
02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm still holding out hope that Rasho & Quis' e.c.'s will net us a nice player before the deadline tomorrow. In reality, doing so is no different than us letting those contracts expire and then offering $10-12 mil a year to a star player, and that is what we need in order to turn this team into a contender.

The expirings lower our payroll, but they don't put us $10 to $12m under the cap so that we could sign a star player. The reality is we would still be over the cap.