PDA

View Full Version : Questions on the new format...

Anthem
06-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Hicks, lots of cool stuff here. The banner is sweet, the new sections are very nice, and I'm excited about the dribbler. Not all is beauty, though. I know you're still working on it, but I have a couple questions for when you have time.

1. Any way we can go from the bright white background to something with a little more gray? The old board had it's problems, I guess, but it was the best-looking board I've been in. This one's a little bright for my taste.

2. What's with the dozen "IE6.0"s in the members list? Is that for every guest?

3. The default page layout seems to tend towards small text with lots of white space. Any way to make the default font bigger and use a little more real estate? Is this place skinnable?

4. Is it me, or is the new bb software a little less snappy than the old one? It just seems like stuff is taking longer to load.

Not trying to complain too much, man. The new board is cool, and I know you guys have put a lot of work into it. I think we all just want this place to be as good as it can be. If now's not a good time for this stuff, then it can wait.

Hicks
06-26-2004, 12:42 AM
Hicks, lots of cool stuff here. The banner is sweet, the new sections are very nice, and I'm excited about the dribbler. Not all is beauty, though. I know you're still working on it, but I have a couple questions for when you have time.

1. Any way we can go from the bright white background to something with a little more gray? The old board had it's problems, I guess, but it was the best-looking board I've been in. This one's a little bright for my taste.

This default isn't going to be touched, but we can persue offering alternatives for everyone's taste. Matter of fact that'd be easy to do. I can make a clone of this one, give it a new name, then change the background from white to gray and you could just use that. Hmm.

2. What's with the dozen "IE6.0"s in the members list? Is that for every guest?

Yes it is, and I'm gonna try to get rid of it. It clogs up the list of users online.

3. The default page layout seems to tend towards small text with lots of white space. Any way to make the default font bigger and use a little more real estate? Is this place skinnable?

We might mess with fonts later to make them bigger. Specifically, are you referring to the font for each post's title? Wasn't sure here.

4. Is it me, or is the new bb software a little less snappy than the old one? It just seems like stuff is taking longer to load.

It's sluggish. I believe able can improve that some, he mentioned it to me this morning. I'd ask him.

Not trying to complain too much, man. The new board is cool, and I know you guys have put a lot of work into it. I think we all just want this place to be as good as it can be. If now's not a good time for this stuff, then it can wait.

No, it's OK. There's still stuff to do. :)

Anthem
06-26-2004, 12:50 AM

This default isn't going to be touched, but we can persue offering alternatives for everyone's taste. Matter of fact that'd be easy to do. I can make a clone of this one, give it a new name, then change the background from white to gray and you could just use that. Hmm.

Now see, that's cool. A skinnable forum would rock.

Also, it appears the spell check doesn't work.

As far as the fonts, it's most noticable on the main page (maybe because the icons on the left are too big?).

Anthem
06-26-2004, 12:51 AM
Sorry, more stuff.

1. Mark as read doesn't seem to mark as read.
2. The smilies don't go into my post if I click 'em.... I have to type them manually.
3. Long-term, a cool feature would be to have a customizable emoticon menu. I don't use half of those, and I'd love to put my most-used ones there. Or maybe it could remember the ones I use the most?
4. A link at the bottom of the page that takes me back a level would be nice. Right now there's only one at the top.
5. The one on the top is hard to see because of the color selection.
6. "Interact" gives me a server error.

Tired of me yet?

Anthem
06-26-2004, 12:54 AM
How do I delete this post?

Also, editing works but kicks me back to the main menu.

Pig Nash
06-26-2004, 12:56 AM
3. Long-term, a cool feature would be to have a customizable emoticon menu. I don't use half of those, and I'd love to put my most-used ones there. Or maybe it could remember the ones I use the most?

That would be awesome.

Hicks
06-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Don't know about the custom emoticon menu. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

"1. Mark as read doesn't seem to mark as read."

It does on the main page, but no it doesn't mark individual posts as read. Again, we'll look into it.

"2. The smilies don't go into my post if I click 'em.... I have to type them manually."

I'm pretty sure this is a browser issue. Likely you're a Mozilla user. Again, looking into it.

"4. A link at the bottom of the page that takes me back a level would be nice. Right now there's only one at the top."

Again, this is going to be addressed.

"5. The one on the top is hard to see because of the color selection."

That's just a minor thing to have to live with. Can't change that color without changing other colors that we don't want changed.

"6. "Interact" gives me a server error."

No this I'm not sure what you're talking about. Where is it you click on "Interact"?

Anthem
06-26-2004, 12:01 PM
If I, for example, change "Interact" to "Edit," then when I change it back to "Interact" I get a weird error.

I'm content with the board, Hicks. Just thought I'd keep all of my notes in one place.

Hicks
06-26-2004, 12:17 PM
If I, for example, change "Interact" to "Edit," then when I change it back to "Interact" I get a weird error.

This confuses me because as soon as you click edit you should be taken to a new page, so you shouldn't be able to click Interact again. What browser do you use?

cramerica
06-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Where do you change the option to turn off the Avatars and sigs?

ABADays
06-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Help!!!!! I can't figure how to delete! They way I type, I could double my posts in a week if I can't delete.

I'm guessing spell check doesn't work because JOneal7 has already broken it ;)

PistonsDynasty
06-26-2004, 01:36 PM
The emotions don't work or is it just my web browser (Mozilla)??

Hicks
06-26-2004, 01:41 PM
The smilies don't work for Mozilla users yet, but they will.

I really need to make a new pinned thread with all the things we've heard from users and what's being done.

Pig Nash
06-26-2004, 01:42 PM
YAY! It doesn't go to the white page anymore!

Hicks
06-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Where do you change the option to turn off the Avatars and sigs?

You can turn off sigs in your User Area, right now Avatars are always on.

I'll add it to the list of things needed (the ability to turn off avatars).

Pig Nash
06-26-2004, 01:43 PM
wait, now it does go to the white page again. whatever.

Hicks
06-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Help!!!!! I can't figure how to delete! They way I type, I could double my posts in a week if I can't delete.

I'm guessing spell check doesn't work because JOneal7 has already broken it ;)

Right now there doesn't appear to be a way to delete posts. Will add later. :)

Hicks
06-26-2004, 01:44 PM
wait, now it does go to the white page again. whatever.

What are you talking about?

Pig Nash
06-26-2004, 01:45 PM
the welcome to the new page Able post. that redirects you here.

bulletproof
06-26-2004, 01:58 PM
The default page layout seems to tend towards small text with lots of white space. Any way to make the default font bigger and use a little more real estate? Is this place skinnable?

Not exactly sure by what you meant by this, but from a design standpoint, white space is a good thing.

I'm sure Hicks is going to be barraged with input and feedback, so for what it's worth, I'll add my two cents right now and be done with it.

I thought the last forum was one of the cleanest and more user-friendly bball fan sites I've seen. I miss it already. It was warmer and more inviting. This one is a bit colder. I wish there was a way to merge the best of both worlds aesthetically speaking. The features here are great, so I'm looking forward to acquainting myself with them.

I understand this is still a work in progress and will continue to evolve. In my line of work, I take the opinions I respect into careful consideration and let them roll around in my head for awhile before I make any changes, if any. I tend not to change things willy-nilly on every little bit of feedback I receive.

Anthem
06-26-2004, 10:05 PM

This confuses me because as soon as you click edit you should be taken to a new page, so you shouldn't be able to click Interact again. What browser do you use?

Edit a post, then push back. It will still be set to "Edit." Change it to "Interact" and watch it crash.

EDIT: I've been able to replicate this on Win2k/IE 6.0 and Linux/Firefox0.8.

Hicks
06-26-2004, 10:08 PM
I just did what you said, and instead of crashing it sent me to the main index.

Why would you click back after you're on the edit page anyway? Don't do that. :laugh:

All the same, thanks for making it known.

From now on, able wants all tech questions to go in his stickied thread. :)

ABADays
06-27-2004, 06:09 PM
I think this was posted before but I couldn't find it. Can you tell me the date again when PD becomes the free digital replacement for Comcast? I believe it said you would be able to run a cable through the computer directly to the TV and that NBATV would be included at no cost.

And I wasn't sure if the date to become the free phone carrier was before or after the cable converstion. It didn't say but I assuming it included free long distance.

Pig Nash
06-27-2004, 06:59 PM
That would be so awesome and i know your j/k.