PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph

QuickRelease
02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
He is well on his way to being the next Isaiah Rider. That crap he pulled last night was just plain garbage. Not Pacers news, I know, but local. That was an outright despicable display of thuggery (a term I don't use lightly), and for him to only get 2 games was a great show of mercy by the NBA.

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I don't know how he only got two games.

jeffg-body
02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
I expected more like 5 games myself with a nifty fine to tag along with it.

denyfizle
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
He is well on his way to being the next Isaiah Rider. That crap he pulled last night was just plain garbage. Not Pacers news, I know, but local. That was an outright despicable display of thuggery (a term I don't use lightly), and for him to only get 2 games was a great show of mercy by the NBA.

He must've thought to himself

"hey, since I look like James Toney, might as well punch like him."

Peck
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Somebody want to clue me in on what went on? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Hicks
02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Peck, I was about to show you the clip via YouTube, but apparently the NBA is now in the business of forcing everyone who dares post such a clip to take said clips down. :confused:

QuickRelease
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Somebody want to clue me in on what went on? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/suns/2009/02/17/nba_lac_phx_0020800795_recap.nba/index.html?ls=gt1hp0020800795

Watch this, and tell me if this only warranted a 2 game suspension.

grace
02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Obviously I missed something. When did a single punch start warranting more than a one or two game suspension? (Before someone brings up the brawl that wasn't a single punch.)

GO!!!!!
02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Havn't seen the punch yet so can't really comment but two games does seem a little on the light side..

Got to remember that's like 2.4 % of a regular season...

2 games out of 82...

Ok seen the punch now, seems like a fair call 2 Games Plus the Ejection..

Need to eridicate this from the game end stop, so a 4-5 Game Suspension would have been better IMO..

Pacers24Colts12
02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
2 games seems fair to me.

QuickRelease
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Obviously I missed something. When did a single punch start warranting more than a one or two game suspension? (Before someone brings up the brawl that wasn't a single punch.)

Normally wouldn't, except this was a little more than a single punch. He elbowed the guy up around the head, which is why he went down in the first place. Randolph then hovered over the guy menacingly for no purpose. And then, when the guy gets up, Randolph punched him in the face. On top of all that, if this was an out of character thing for someone, then yeah, 2 games. But Randolph has history, and this is in keeping with that history. I'm not saying he necessarily should get the season boot, but if you really look at this video closely, there's a lot more than a punch.

Hicks
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Normally wouldn't, except this was a little more than a single punch. He elbowed the guy up around the head, which is why he went down in the first place. Randolph then hovered over the guy menacingly for no purpose. And then, when the guy gets up, Randolph punched him in the face. On top of all that, if this was an out of character thing for someone, then yeah, 2 games. But Randolph has history, and this is in keeping with that history. I'm not saying he necessarily should get the season boot, but if you really look at this video closely, there's a lot more than a punch.

Right. [/agrees]

Just 2 games, if I'm Zach Randolph, actually makes me feel MORE comfortable doing this again because it obviously won't hurt very much.

QuickRelease
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Right. [/agrees]

Just 2 games, if I'm Zach Randolph, actually makes me feel MORE comfortable doing this again because it obviously won't hurt very much.

Not to mention the total lack of remorse in his comments afterward. I totally expect him to do it again. That's his mentality moreso than a reaction to anything the other guy did.

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I'd have to agree...

QuickRelease
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I'd have to agree...

Mark Boyle agreed on air tonight that 2 games was light for what Randolph did.

Country Boy
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Kermit Washington was fined and suspended for 60 days for his 1 punch of Rudy Tomjanovich, so yes there is precedent for a heavier punishment. Kareem missed 23 games for punching Kent Benson, mainly because he broke his hand, however that was factored into the punishment. So yeah, one punch can do a lot of damage and should not be treated so lightly.

billbradley
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
rudy t could taste his own spinal fluid after that blow and it arguably ruined his career, how is that comparable

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Right. [/agrees]

The $260,000 could make him think twice about doing it again though.

Smoothdave1
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Was a very weak punch and 2 games is about right. Zach should know better and his paycheck will reflect that.

grace
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Kermit Washington was fined and suspended for 60 days for his 1 punch of Rudy Tomjanovich, so yes there is precedent for a heavier punishment. Kareem missed 23 games for punching Kent Benson, mainly because he broke his hand, however that was factored into the punishment. So yeah, one punch can do a lot of damage and should not be treated so lightly.

Personally I can't stand Zach Randolph so I'd be happy if he got at least 10 games. The difference with what Zach is the guy got up. The league better call Zach and say "Just want to let you know we really screwed up. You do that again and you're getting 20 games minimum."

Pacersfan46
02-19-2009, 12:33 AM
rudy t could taste his own spinal fluid after that blow and it arguably ruined his career, how is that comparable

It's comparable because to me it's not the damage it causes, it's the intent to cause damage period. Just because Randolph didn't do that, does it mean that wasn't what he was HOPING for?

I've always disagreed with the punishment being tied to the damage done.

Personal experience speaking, Randolph is a punk. Which may have something to do with my saying this, but he deserved more than 2 games. If not for JUST the punch, but he purposely knocked him down, and hovered over him like a tough guy, then when he stood up hit him while the guy wasn't even raising his hands like he wanted to do anything.

By the way, he's dumber than a box of rocks too. Spend 5 minutes with him, you can't miss it.

-- Steve --

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Ben Wallace got five games after the brawl for hitting Ron Artest in the back and throwing a towel at him. Don't care what it may have lead to. What Randolph did was worse and deserved a ten game punishment. He threw a punch, he deserves a ten game suspension.

ToasterBusVIP
02-19-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm actually amazed that no one's mentioned this on here...

That the Suns just did it to the Clippers AGAIN. 142-119 this time.

Talk about a 1-2 punch.

Trader Joe
02-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Hmm, looks like we'll have to keep an eye on these Suns fellows.

billbradley
02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
randolph does not use all of his force when punching admunson. he pushes his fist against his face. kermit squares up and hits rudy already running full speed. every punch is not the same, thats why some command more of punishment or less. im fine with 2 and i would be fine with 20,but at the end of the day who cares how many games he gets, nobody was seriously hurt or a pacer. win/win

flox
02-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Of course the punishment is light because Amundson clearly did a lot wrong too.

Of course this is a Pacers crowd I'm also posting in so what do I know.

ToasterBusVIP
02-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Hmm, looks like we'll have to keep an eye on these Suns fellows.

Yep. Good things in Phoenix. Steve Nash with short hair, and that particular team trying to play "normally", you'll find them both in the dictionary under "uuug-lee!" I'm glad to see them getting back to what has been their trademark. Even if it that does mean Amare is no longer available!

Pacersfan46
02-19-2009, 03:33 AM
every punch is not the same

Only in the end result and the aftermath are they not the same. During the punch, the intent is EXACTLY the same and they're hoping for the same result. To injure the other person.

Nobody knows how badly they will or will not hurt the person when they make the decision to make that attempt. I would much rather see the the intent punished rather than how 'successful' they were at it.

-- Steve --

grace
02-19-2009, 03:58 PM
If it makes any difference Kenny Smith, Eric Snow, and Billy King all said 2 games was the right amount. Granted they said it on NBA-TV so for all I know David Stern told them to say it.

DGPR
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
What did Carmelo get for sucker slapping Mardy Collins a couple of years ago?

billbradley
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
During the punch, the intent is EXACTLY the same and they're hoping for the same result. To injure the other person.

You cannot say that everyone has the intent to cause injury when they punch someone. I understand your point because that is usually the case. However it becomes unusual when you take into account the level of pain that the person punching is willing to administer. A basic comparison is everyone who shoots someone is not on trial for attempted murder because the intent is not always to kill. Where they shoot the person and the level of damage adjusts the proceedings for punishment.

If Randolph wanted to he could have destroyed Amundson's face. He didn't so it isn't the same punishment (kermit Washington) as if he did.

Pacersfan46
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
You cannot say that everyone has the intent to cause injury when they punch someone. I understand your point because that is usually the case. However it becomes unusual when you take into account the level of pain that the person punching is willing to administer. A basic comparison is everyone who shoots someone is not on trial for attempted murder because the intent is not always to kill. Where they shoot the person and the level of damage adjusts the proceedings for punishment.

If Randolph wanted to he could have destroyed Amundson's face. He didn't so it isn't the same punishment (kermit Washington) as if he did.

You're delusional if you think someone punches at someone with the intent of only 'hurting them a little'.

Your shooting comparison is horrific, which I can say with more experience in the matter than I'm sure most here, as I've been shot by someone trying to kill me. The idea of someone shooting a gun, and not 'attempting to kill someone' is a joke as well. Just because some people have more training, or better aim than others doesn't make the intent any less malicious. Nor does it negate the possibility that someone COULD die, even if it wasn't the person they were aiming at.

LOL @ the idea of someone shooting at someone or punching them all while internally going ..."gee, I hope I don't hurt this guy too much!' Hahaha

-- Steve --

billbradley
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
You're delusional if you think someone punches at someone with the intent of only 'hurting them a little'.

Your shooting comparison is horrific, which I can say with more experience in the matter than I'm sure most here, as I've been shot by someone trying to kill me. The idea of someone shooting a gun, and not 'attempting to kill someone' is a joke as well. Just because some people have more training, or better aim than others doesn't make the intent any less malicious. Nor does it negate the possibility that someone COULD die, even if it wasn't the person they were aiming at.

LOL @ the idea of someone shooting at someone or punching them all while internally going ..."gee, I hope I don't hurt this guy too much!' Hahaha

-- Steve --

Well i guess agree to disagree. I hardly see how my comparison is laughable, although I don't have your experience of being shot at, I've worked with public defenders and believe it or not people with no other training than being thugs understand that if they shoot someone in the leg and are prosecuted, it carries a lighter sentence than aiming for the head. You can also punch someone and understand that if you do it too hard it can carry heavier consequence. Randolph had the opportunity to inflict as much pain as he wanted as Amundson was getting up and unprotected. If you think that was Randolph's most powerful blow or had no control over what amount of force he could deliver, respectfully-you may be delusional.

QuickRelease
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippersuns19-2009feb19,0,3593023.story

By Lisa Dillman
February 19, 2009

"Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy, while not condoning Randolph's action, gave some insight into his player's frame of mind. Apparently Randolph learned his father was critically ill shortly before the game in Phoenix.

"Obviously you don't want anybody doing that," Dunleavy said. "But he found out before the game, literally in the locker room before the game, about his dad.

"He was trying to figure out if he could play in last night's game, or tonight's game."

Randolph was able to get back to Indianapolis, which is where his father is hospitalized. He spoke on the telephone to Dunleavy and apologized after the suspension was handed down.

"He said to me, 'Coach, I'm sorry. I had a lot going through my head,' " Dunleavy said.

Suns interim coach Alvin Gentry, a former Clippers coach, called it an "unfortunate incident," but he was aware of Randolph's family crisis and expressed his concern. Gentry, who took over the Suns on Monday, is 2-0, both wins coming against the Clippers.

"I know Zach has other problems that he is dealing with now. . . . When you find out someone you love is suffering from a terminal [condition] . . . " Gentry said."

This is really unfortunate. His actions were still wrong, but you just never know what someone is going through. The only thing about this is, as it pertains to Randolph, his actions are always highlighted by the precedence of boneheaded moments throughout his career. That being said, it's good to see he apologized. I am truly sorry to hear about his father. He'll be in my prayers.

Pacersfan46
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I never said I don't understand how things work. I just said I don't think it's right, and you made my point for me, actually. Those irresponsible idiots 'know' that shooting at the legs carries less of a charge than head hunting .... but don't you think they'd be less likely to even pull the gun and act stupid if they knew even firing the gun at someone with intent to harm was attempted murder, and carried the same charge as head hunting?

Case in point, me .... the guy was shooting truly at my lower half at point blank range, hitting my car door, hood and me. The one that hit me ricoched into my ribs breaking 2 ribs, hitting my diaphram and liver. He was shooting lower than my waist, so that's ''more okay'' than not, right? Well according to you, anyway. :rolleyes:

Same principal applies to the NBA. If the punishment was 5-10 games for any thrown punches, I guarantee you we'd see less fighting on the court.

The intent to harm is just that, the intent to harm. I don't care if it's 'a little or a lot', or 'lethal or non lethal'. Even if angry people in that situation are capable of ''only trying to hurt them a little'', which I don't believe, anyway. Even if you think that those people can think that clearly, it doesn't mean that what they want will be the end result.

Slaps on the wrist are almost encouraging someone to do it again. Why wait until someone is seriously hurt to make the point that it's unacceptable? People should be more proactive, instead of reactive.

-- Steve --

Country Boy
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
It's is amazing that if you would hit someone at your place of work, you would be arrested for assault, but in the NBA it is treated with a two game suspension.