PDA

View Full Version : I like competitive Danny...a lot

rexnom
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
This was originally going in the Sixers thread but it evolved. Did we win that Sixers game? The post-game thread certainly doesn't reflect that. Did Danny punch someone in the face? Because the post-game thread certainly reflects that.

Honestly, it's becoming borderline unbearable to me how we treat Danny. The man is playing hurt, he's leading the team, he is the only Pacer save TJ and Obie that seems to care about winning and losing, and we're complaining.

Obviously he sees the writing on the wall - his teammates aren't going to stay healthy/play through pain and just don't care as much as he does about the team's overall success. And as a result, we are slowly playing ourselves out of playoff contention. You wouldn't be getting frustrated?

What bothers me even more is that if Danny wasn't getting bothered by this, we'd still be complaining. Then we'd be complaining about a lack of fire. How do I know? Because that's what happened last year on this board. It seems Danny flipped a switch this year. He's stepped his game, mentally, emotionally, and physically. That's as much as any of us could have asked of him.

We have one of the top players in the league on our team. And he hates losing to boot! Even better, he feels connected to this franchise to the point that he can't take losing. Toronto has a guy like Chris Bosh who hates losing so much that he is going to leave Toronto in two years to win more/demand a trade before that. Unfortunately, we seemed to have stumbled upon a Reggie Miller type determined to make this franchise a winner.

My god, what is up with us? Are we the most cynical fanbase there is at this point? Did the brawl really screw us that badly? Guys, let's enjoy our star player. It's ok. Yes, he's a star and yes, he's going to act like it. Thank God. Why? Because if he doesn't stand up for his team and his franchise, nobody else will. And I think people will respect him more, not less, for this.

And I'm sure Danny knows of his defensive short-comings as well. I just feel like in this system, a player has to decide where to focus their energy. Danny (or Obie) has chosen offense for him, I guess. Considering our lack of go-to scorers, I'm ok with that. The problem I have is that Obie basically forces our guys to make that choice.

I don't mean this against a particular poster or group of poster. It's just my own two cents about this situation. I was fortunate enough to see the Pacers in person a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a year or so and my perception of Danny changed. In person, he is such a warrior. He did not look even 80% healthy but he stepped up and took/hit the big shots (Caron just made one more) when the rest of team behaved like the ball was a hot potato. More impressively for me, his body reacted with every positive and negative part of the game. At points, it was like watching Jordan out there, staring down Jack for letting Butler abuse him, high-fiving Jack for hitting a three in the corner, etc. And Danny is not JO. When crunch time came, he took - and hit - the big shots and he guarded Caron. He blamed himself for the failure to cover Caron on that last shot much more than he did anybody else that night. You win championships with guys like this (Danny) as your number one or number two guys.

Speed
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I love Danny, I just wish he would have handled last night differently. I'd rather he do what my example in the other thread on how Lebron handled it.

I think we can still make observations about certain aspects of his game or him, but still really be thankful for him. That Boston tooth crushing incident is one of the top 3 toughest things I have seen a player do in my life.

Danny still needs better handles (especialy in traffic and going left), he could still elevate his defensive game, consistently. I mean DG has room for growth, which is exciting.

I love his fire to win, but there is no reason posters can't say that he shouldn't shake his head in disgust when Roy flops around like an unathletic fish sometimes. Now there is a rip on probably my two favorite current Pacers.

Lastly, I am a fan of the uniform, I have to admit. It's been hard in recent history, but it's true. I've been a fan of the team, not just it's players. Any criticizm is said with the hope it brings them to the promise land someday.

Danny's frustration is understandable. They were swallowing their whistles last night. Also, the team is 11 games under .500. You are right, I'd be pissed if he wasn't pissed. However, I'd rather he learn how to channel it better. If I was Salvatore (I think it was) I would have T'd up Danny in the first half when he overeacted, imo.

BPump33
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I love everything Danny brings to the court. I am in the camp that wouldn't trade Danny for anyone else in the league. Agreed, he still has room to grow and that is a good thing.

To be fair and honest, yes the brawl and some of our past years have made me a bit weary of certain things. I love the Pacers and will defend them to anyone, but I can't tolerate players whining to the officials like Jack and JO (the main two that stick out to me) used to do. I don't think Danny is ANYWHERE near that level, I just don't want it to get there. That is my ONLY concern, and frankly I'm sure I'm premature in showing concern.

Like I said in the post-game thread I love that Danny stood up to Andre Miller. I just watched the clip a minute ago and in my opinion it looked a lot worse in person. In person it looked as if Danny sprinted over to him, but watching the clip I didn't think it looked as bad. I want Danny to let the rest of the league know that coming to Indiana is not going to be a pushover. Danny has become the leader that this team has needed for quite some time now and I think most of us are aware of that and embrace it wholeheartedly.

trey
02-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree with the OP.

McKeyFan
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
If this was refereed like college ball in the 70s, then I'd say Danny's behavior is a bit too much.

Unfortunately, this is the NBA third millennium. It's not so much strict objective following of the rules. There is also a clear tip of the hat by officials to all-stars. Wish it weren't so, hate it, and don't believe in it.

But it is what it is. That being the case, Danny's behavior is arguably spot on. He is establishing himself and gaining the edge we have lacked of late in the eyes of officials. And I'd like to think Danny only needs to do this for a season of time.

pacerDU
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Well said rexnom.

I think people forget how emotional playing sports can be be... and how that emotion can help or hurt you. I think in Danny's case it helps him. Now I agree that I don't want to see Danny turn into 'Sheed or even JO when it comes to complaining about calls, however I don't see this from Danny. I see a guy who genuinely wants to win and it's not just about his personal stats, but a real will to win.

How many people LOVED it when Reggie was at the height of his trash-talking, instigator days? I know I did. My favorite playoff series ever is still the one in which Reggie and Spike went at each other, when Reggie did the whole "choke" signal. It shows fire and as long as it's not hurting anyone and it's focused on the team, I think it's great.

I personally am one of the people who doesn't like the new "calling-it-tight" style of refereeing the games. It annoys me when two guys are jawing at each other, or someone reacts to a cheap-shot and they call a double-tech. Just separate them and keep playing. This is the way it was in the 90's and I'd like to see it be that way again. Sport is emotional, these guys aren't robots.

I want to see a guy who has fire and intensity, will stand up for his teammates and wants nothing more than to win every game. Along with that, I want to see a guy with good sportsmanship. This is what I've seen from Danny so far.

Kid Minneapolis
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Good grief, quit bein' a buncha pansies. That incident last night was absolutely nothing to get worked up about.

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Most of the guys that played in the late 80s/early 90s NBA would probably be surprised that people think Danny was being over aggressive.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Basically I like Danny b-being aggressive, b-being aggressive! But I don't want him to reach LeBron levels of whining. That's part of the reason I can't stand him, and I would hate to see my favorite player take the same route.

Beyond that, if he doesn't cost us a game, get suspended, or go into the stands seeking higher ground because he thinks he's drowning in beer, I'm fine.

Einstein
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I can't believe there are such rigid protocols about reactions to cheap fouls and complaining to referees.

I agree with Rexom 100%.

count55
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm thrilled to death with Danny, and I'm very appreciative of his efforts.

However, that doesn't preclude me from thinking that he over-reacted last night and looked a bit closer to silly than tough.

I think Danny's made a huge leap in asserting himself on the court. He's grown during this season alone in the ability to come up big in the fourth quarter. He has definitely shown the ability to be a team leader.

That being said, the incident with Miller wasn't his finest hour, IMO. I don't think there's anything damaging in saying so, either.

As to the guys from the '80's and 90's, they probably would have wondered what he was getting so puffy about, because it wasn't much of a hit. They probably would have been less than impressed that he was going after a 6'2" point guard.

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM

However, that doesn't preclude me from thinking that he over-reacted last night and looked a bit closer to silly than tough.

I think Danny's made a huge leap in asserting himself on the court. He's grown during this season alone in the ability to come up big in the fourth quarter. He has definitely shown the ability to be a team leader.

That being said, the incident with Miller wasn't his finest hour, IMO. I don't think there's anything damaging in saying so, either.

As to the guys from the '80's and 90's, they probably would have wondered what he was getting so puffy about, because it wasn't much of a hit. They probably would have been less than impressed that he was going after a 6'2" point guard.

Point is, this is how the NBA has changed. One minor altercation in a game sets off a huge hullabaloo.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Very well said. I agree on all accounts.

Unclebuck
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I have no problem with what he did last night

count55
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I have no problem with what he did last night

I can mostly get behind this, but I also don't see much in the way of value in what he did, either.

Speed
02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm not worked up at all. I could even buy the 1 season, I need to establish some respect deal. I don't even think anything about him being whiney or anything like it.

I just think the way to get more respect is to give Miller a little hip as he's driving about a quarter later in the game, instead of running over and... well you saw it.

I mean things get chippy, it happens. Personally, I laugh at guys, I mean man, it wasn't like he got undercut.

I wouldn't have even said anything if DG would've gotten up walked toward the bench and walked a little too close to Miller and gave him a little nudge.

I mean Reggie would have had DG chasing him all around the court with little antogonizing bumps and chicken fighting like a woman he did. :)

Mainly, I'd like to see Danny be mentally tougher than that. But it was a momentary lapse, not a big deal. Danny is much tougher than that by almost all accounts.

I just don't want to see Danny knocked off his game by something pretty minor.

Again isolated incident.

Now if he gets undercut tonight, I would advocate that stuff happens. But otherwise, if Gerald Wallace gives him a little shoulder, I'd like to see a little extra nudge in retaliation later in the game.

Just my opinion, still love him, love what he's doing, love the toughness.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I agree 100% I love what Danny did. I'd much rather see him let people know who he is, instead of just walk away like they can do that whenever they want. He's already playing injured, there's no need for anyone to give him a body check like that.

It also helped us win the game, so hey, I'll take it.

WetBob
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I agree 100% I love what Danny did. I'd much rather see him let people know who he is, instead of just walk away like they can do that whenever they want. He's already playing injured, there's no need for anyone to give him a body check like that.

It also helped us win the game, so hey, I'll take it.

Basketball is a contact sport. What Miller did was a basketball play. Granger overreacted. It is plain and simple.

If he is so injured that he can't handle contact, he shouldn't play. Send him home.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Basketball is a contact sport. What Miller did was a basketball play. Granger overreacted. It is plain and simple.

If he is so injured that he can't handle contact, he shouldn't play. Send him home.

Maybe we were watching a different play then. What I saw was Danny come down the lane on a fastbreak and Miller lower his shoulder into him and then extend his arm and push him. It's different to watch a play like that on TV and say he overreacted and have that done to you in the heat of the game.

There's contact, and there's unnecessary contact. Danny stood up for himself and I like it.

WetBob
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Maybe we were watching a different play then. What I saw was Danny come down the lane on a fastbreak and Miller lower his shoulder into him and then extend his arm and push him. It's different to watch a play like that on TV and say he overreacted and have that done to you in the heat of the game.

There's contact, and there's unnecessary contact. Danny stood up for himself and I like it.

What Miller did was entirely within the scope of the game!! The Pacers would be far better served if Danny would take a page out of Miller's book and actually do that to an opposing player on a break instead of just allowing them easy lay-ins all the time.

He looked like a spoiled little brat.

McKeyFan
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
What Miller did was entirely within the scope of the game!!

No, it was a flagrant foul.

jeffg-body
02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't get all of the worry about this competitive fire Danny has. i like it myself. He stood up or himself after an "artest-like basketball play". It is over and done with. At least he cares and gives it all regardless if he is playing injured or not. He is not going to snap and turn into "Ronnie the incredible hulk" and go nuts on everyone and everything around him.

Pacersfan46
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
What Miller did was throw his elbows out right into Danny's ribs. He wasn't reaching for the ball, he wasn't doing anything but elbowing Danny. However it LOOKED to you, it apparently hurt, otherwise he wouldn't have been angry.

Maybe some of you didn't see the elbow out, I don't know. Most basketball players I know are particularly touchy about guys throwing elbows into them. You can really hurt someone doing that, and I would hope he goes after someone every time they do it.

-- Steve --

WetBob
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
No, it was a flagrant foul.

He was correctly not assessed with a flagrant foul because it wasn't one. So no.

He stopped a break from resulting in a easy bucket. I wish we had a tough leader who would do that. Once.

Kid Minneapolis
02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
What Miller did was entirely within the scope of the game!! The Pacers would be far better served if Danny would take a page out of Miller's book and actually do that to an opposing player on a break instead of just allowing them easy lay-ins all the time.

My Lord, what a crazy perspective to have. This is basketball, dude, not football. Lowering your shoulder into an oncoming player is a legal move in FOOTBALL... in basketball, initiating hard contact with another player is called a "foul". It's one thing to make a slap at the ball... it's another to completley just lower a shoulder and not make a play for the ball at all. It was an intentional foul. A foul in the least.

It was uncalled for, a non-basketball play, and frankly it was not one of MILLER's finer moments... Granger was completely justified in his reaction.

WetBob
02-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Notes: Granger and 76ers G Andre Miller had some heated words in the third quarter and had to be separated by teammates after Miller committed a hard foul on Granger as he tried to get to the basket. Granger was given a technical foul for charging at Miller after the play. "I just lost it for a second,'' Granger said. "I don't think he meant to do it, I just thought it was a dirty play. It's cool, we're friends.''

Granger is right. He lost it. He looked silly in the process and to top it all off he was wrong. It wasn't dirty.

Miller missed the technical free throw so it didn't hurt us, but some of you need to see what has become a glaring negative, instead of just the positives.

WetBob
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
My Lord, what a crazy perspective to have. This is basketball, dude, not football. Lowering your shoulder into an oncoming player is a legal move in FOOTBALL... in basketball, initiating hard contact with another player is called a "foul". It's one thing to make a slap at the ball... it's another to completley just lower a shoulder and not make a play for the ball at all. It was an intentional foul. A foul in the least.

It was uncalled for, a non-basketball play, and frankly it was not one of MILLER's finer moments... Granger was completely justified in his reaction.

OH MY GOD!! It was correctly called a foul. It was a foul. I never said it wasn't.

It was a smart play to prevent a bucket. He didn't do anything cruel, unusual, or over the top. He fouled him. Granger overreacted.

There is no intentional foul rule in the NBA and it wasn't flagrant, I don't know how you can be so obtuse.

Kraft
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
It's kind of funny what the interpretation of an overreaction is nowadays. Is it no longer an allowable thing on occasion? Not all overreactions end in the dustpan, right?

Can't believe this is talked about so much. He took a rugged foul and took exception for a moment. That's about it, right?

How many other times has Granger taken a foul this year and not reacted? My guess is that's a pretty big body of evidence.

WetBob
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
How many other times has Granger taken a foul this year and not reacted? My guess is that's a pretty big body of evidence.

That's all fine and good, but completely not the point.

The point is, he did something wrong, and there are too many apologists out there that refuse to come to grips with that.

Conflict
02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Miller never went for the ball, I would not say Miller would injure Granger but it had nothing to do with basketball. Miller puts his elbows/ shoulders into Grangers mouth, in my opinion a flagrant foul.

Granger maybe overreacted a little because of his teeth injury earlier in the season but he stood up for himself and always does for his teammates, I like our star. Go Danny.

Kraft
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
That's all fine and good, but completely not the point.

The point is, he did something wrong, and there are too many apologists out there that refuse to come to grips with that.

Well, if you want to try to convert every fan who doesn't have a big problem with it ... more power to you.

One foul, one game, one admission from the man himself. Time to move on.

Isn't the trade deadline approaching?

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM

Did you ever watch Reggie Miller play?

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
He was correctly not assessed with a flagrant foul because it wasn't one. So no.

He stopped a break from resulting in a easy bucket. I wish we had a tough leader who would do that. Once.

You're right! Let's trade the whole team for Andre Miller! That will solve all our problems!

Does anyone know how many times the great leader Andre Miller has made the playoffs? The answer is 4 and he's never won a series.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM

He was clearly talking about Andre Miller.

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM

And you clearly don't understand my point...

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
You're right! Let's trade the whole team for Andre Miller! That will solve all our problems!

Does anyone know how many times the great leader Andre Miller has made the playoffs? The answer is 4 and he's never won a series.

I don't know who overreacted more. Danny last night or you to that statement?

avoidingtheclowns
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM

and indy was clearly not confusing millers (andre, reggie), but connecting miller (reggie) and danny.

also, i like rexnom's post...a lot

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't know who overreacted more. Danny last night or you to that statement?

Calling Andre Miller a tough leader because he threw a hard foul in the open court, while at the same time ripping on a guy who has played with a bone bruise under his knee for the past month is beyond absurd.

Kid Minneapolis
02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
OH MY GOD!! It was correctly called a foul. It was a foul. I never said it wasn't.

It was a smart play to prevent a bucket. He didn't do anything cruel, unusual, or over the top. He fouled him. Granger overreacted.

There is no intentional foul rule in the NBA and it wasn't flagrant, I don't know how you can be so obtuse.

Really? I've heard of guys wrapping up or reaching for the ball and getting some body, but Miller threw a shoulder. You don't see shoulders getting thrown on fast breaks.

Miller didn't even make an attempt at the ball. He just planted his feet and thrust a shoulder forward. I can't remember the last time I've seen a "smart play to prevent an easy bucket" be in the form of a football tackle shoulder throw.

Kemo
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
LOL whoever posted the Lethal Weapon youtube clip in another thread , had me laughing my arse off ... because what Andre Miller did to Granger looked exactly like how Riggs threw his shoulder into the wall ...

Kudos to whoever posted that clip awhile back..

heh

WetBob
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Calling Andre Miller a tough leader because he threw a hard foul in the open court, while at the same time ripping on a guy who has played with a bone bruise under his knee for the past month is beyond absurd.

You are postively ridiculous. *removed*

I've said in the past this team's problem is toughness. I'm not trying to challenge your "fanhood" because clearly you are so blinded by it that you refuse to even acknowledge fact. How many close games have we lost this year? How many times has 1 bucket on either end (in our case, almost always the defensive end) decided the game. Plenty.

If you watch the games you've seen this team has an extreme adversion to not giving up lay ups. There are far too many guys on this team that would rather save a foul then to save a basket. All I was saying was that instead of Granger acting like a little ***** when he got touched, the team would be better served if he would set the tone the way that Miller did. Show the other guys on the team that we aren't going to be pushed around by not allowing them an uncontested lay up or dunk. Instead, all Granger showed was that his head can indeed, be gotten into.

If I'm an opposing coach, I tell my players to go right after him. He's weak, he can't take it, and it will get him out of his game. Maybe that's not the case, but it sure as hell looked like it last night.

I never once said we should trade for Miller or anything even remotely like that, but thank you for *removed*

WetBob
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Say what you want about Reggie being a spoiled brat when he played, but he never let anyone get in his head. It was always the other way around.

You want to throw around the word absurd? Absurd is even implying that Granger has done anything to warrant anywhere near the leeway that Reggie was given. They don't even belong in the same sentence at the point.

Reggie was a leader.

Hicks
02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Enough with the garbage trash talk amongst posters.

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Say what you want about Reggie being a spoiled brat when he played, but he never let anyone get in his head. It was always the other way around.

You want to throw around the word absurd? Absurd is even implying that Granger has done anything to warrant anywhere near the leeway that Reggie was given. They don't even belong in the same sentence at the point.

Reggie was a leader.

You think Miller got into Danny's head? If anything it was the other way around afterwards.

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
You are postively ridiculous. *removed*

I've said in the past this team's problem is toughness. I'm not trying to challenge your "fanhood" because clearly you are so blinded by it that you refuse to even acknowledge fact. How many close games have we lost this year? How many times has 1 bucket on either end (in our case, almost always the defensive end) decided the game. Plenty.

If you watch the games you've seen this team has an extreme adversion to not giving up lay ups. There are far too many guys on this team that would rather save a foul then to save a basket. All I was saying was that instead of Granger acting like a little ***** when he got touched, the team would be better served if he would set the tone the way that Miller did. Show the other guys on the team that we aren't going to be pushed around by not allowing them an uncontested lay up or dunk. Instead, all Granger showed was that his head can indeed, be gotten into.

If I'm an opposing coach, I tell my players to go right after him. He's weak, he can't take it, and it will get him out of his game. Maybe that's not the case, but it sure as hell looked like it last night.

I never once said we should trade for Miller or anything even remotely like that, but thank you for *removed*

How come Danny didn't react like a little "*****" (classy stuff BTW) when Paul Pierce jumped on top of his head for the basketball and knocked his teeth out? Probably because he considered it a basketball play.

Danny pretty clearly did not consider what Miller did a basketball play, and see as he is the NBA player and no one on this board is, I think I'm going to side with him on this one.

idioteque
02-18-2009, 08:09 PM
If any of you are upset about what happened last night, well all I have to say to that is sorry it hurt your feelings and there is always ballet and synchronized swimming if you want something less offensive.

count55
02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
If any of you are upset about what happened last night, well all I have to say to that is sorry it hurt your feelings and there is always ballet and synchronized swimming if you want something less offensive.

I see this topic is really bringing out the best in everyone.

PR07
02-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't say what Andre Miller did was a dirty play, but it wasn't a basketball play. Rarely, if at all, do you see someone just stick someone with their shoulder like that. That's really more of a football play when you're taught just to hit someone.

Danny overreacted, but I can understand where he's coming from. It's one thing to foul someone cleanly, it's another thing to throw your shoulder into someone's sternum. I'd rather have a player with fire than with none at all.

avoidingtheclowns
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM

i always thought baryshnikov was a whiner

LoneGranger33
02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
i always thought baryshnikov was a whiner

You really went there, huh?

idioteque
02-18-2009, 09:59 PM
You really went there, huh?

:laugh:

All I am saying is that Danny is entitled to star calls and star treatment since such a thing does exist in the NBA. No top 10 player should be taken out like that, and if you look at the standard at which players of his caliber are treated in the NBA, he deserved to react that way. He's paid his dues. Now if it was Marquis reacting like that I would laugh and agree with everyone who thought it was a stupid thing to do. Yes, I hold those guys to different standards and that may not be fair, but that is how the NBA is for one reason or another.

I don't see how this really could upset anyone. Our star player faced a legitimate chance of being needlessly injured at the hands of some mid tier guy like Andre Miller and he simply let him know about it. He didn't go Artest on him.

There is nothing wrong with having a bit of attitude on your team. There is a productive medium between the Boy Scouts and the Bad Boys.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
No top 10 player should be taken out like that.

No top 10 player was taken out like that. And Danny wasn't really taken out either. He was given a clean hard foul.

WetBob
02-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Top 10? Really? Give me a break.

Off the top of my head:

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Chris Paul
4. Dwight Howard
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Chris Bosh
7. Brandon Roy
8. Kevin Durant
9. Yao Ming
10. Carmelo Anthony

I could keep going.

Pacersfan46
02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't know where some of you play basketball, but anyplace I've played an elbow and a shoulder check like you're a hockey player being checked into the boards isn't a 'clean basketball play'.

Some of you apparently have been playing with some serious scrubs who don't have enough body control to keep from doing retarded things like that for so long that you apparently believe that it's a good play. Well it's not.

A basketball play would involve wrapping Danny up, or hacking at the ball with the intent to foul. None of which involve an elbow or shoulder strike. That's how people get hurt.

-- Steve --