PDA

View Full Version : That was a strange game

Unclebuck
01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Wow.

When you play 82 games during a season every game is different and some are stranger than others and this was a strange one.

Pacers looked like the Mavs in the first quarter, hitting threes from everywhere, running and passing like the Kings.

The only reason the Celtics kept it close at all was Ricky Davis, if not for him the Pacers have a 20 point lead at halftime and the second half is entirely different. But Ricky kept them in and gave the Celts confidence, and you could see it, the Celts defense started to pick up and you knew Pierce would get it going in the 2nd half and then J.O gets hurt and you know the game is going to be a tough one to win.

Question: if AL Harrington was on a team where he was a go to guy how many points would he average and how many allstar teams would he make?

Croshere was huge, his threes made all the difference, without Cro coming up big the Pacers lose this game.

AJ hit a couple of big shots too, a three with 43 seconds left and another little pull up in the lane where he was fouled.

This game reminded me of game one of the playoff series with the Celtics last spring.

Needless to say without J.O the Pacers are in trouble, moreso on the defensive end, his shotblocking was sorely missed.

Very nice win, but it made me very nervous.

Ron also had a very nice game.

beast23
01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
I think in this one, you have to give kudos to Freddie and Pollard, too. Both soaked up some of the spare minutes and contributed on the defensive end.

In answer to your question, I think if Al were the number one option on a weaker team that he would be a 20+/10+ player.

But it is hard to tell. He would be facing the opponent's starters most minutes on the floor and he would be the focal point of the defense.

I like how Al's mid-range game seems to be coming around. And he has learned to pull up on driving to the basket to avoid most of the charges. I really look forward the the development of his game throughout the season and next year. I would bet he will add another interior move or two and have more consistency on his long-range jumper.

You consider that a few years back Al had serious back problems that he overcame by increasing his weight and the muscle in his lower back. Then he sustains a serious knee injury and once again works very hard to get back on the active roster. The young man has a very strong desire to do whatever is necessary to play the game and to improve upon his skills.

DisplacedKnick
01-31-2004, 11:05 PM
I dunno what you guys did this game but I hope you do it again Tues.

If you guys play your defensive game there's no way we can win - it won't even be close. But if you let us open the floor and get running, we can give you some trouble.

Boston should be incapable of doing you any harm if you play tough D on them - unless both Davis and Pierce just go stratospheric.

beast23
01-31-2004, 11:11 PM

If you guys play your defensive game there's no way we can win - it won't even be close. But if you let us open the floor and get running, we can give you some trouble.

Boston should be incapable of doing you any harm if you play tough D on them - unless both Davis and Pierce just go stratospheric.

Play our defensive game? Right now, we're just hoping we can play our O'Neal. :)

Don't know if you watched it, but the first have we let Davis get loose on us. That was the only reason Boston was even close by halftime.

The second half, Pierce finally got it going. And again they were able to keep coming back from 6 - 10 point deficits. We weren't able to put them away, and the Celts earned a chance to steal it in the closing seconds.

Not a great game by the Pacers by any means.

fooddaman
01-31-2004, 11:17 PM

Play our defensive game? Right now, we're just hoping we can play our O'Neal. :)

Don't know if you watched it, but the first have we let Davis get loose on us. That was the only reason Boston was even close by halftime.

The second half, Pierce finally got it going. And again they were able to keep coming back from 6 - 10 point deficits. We weren't able to put them away, and the Celts earned a chance to steal it in the closing seconds.

Not a great game by the Pacers by any means.

I think he is talking from a Knick fan standpoint. We don't normally play that badly on D, but he is hoping that we do so the Knicks have a chance.

It really shows when JO is not in there how vulnerable our interior D becomes.

DisplacedKnick
01-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Even without JO you should be able to beat us, If you play your normal tough defense you'll take KVH right out of the game. That leaves Marbury pretty much by himself. He can do some damage but not enough.

Unclebuck
01-31-2004, 11:28 PM
With Ragnar away for a few days, I can say this without fear of being called a Tinsley hater.

But Tinsley was awful tonight, and I was glad AJ played the last 16 minutes of the game.

Tinsley was too wild, he was throwing the ball all over the place and his defense was poor, he was getting beat again and again.

Hicks
01-31-2004, 11:46 PM
With Ragnar away for a few days, I can say this without fear of being called a Tinsley hater.

But Tinsley was awful tonight, and I was glad AJ played the last 16 minutes of the game.

Tinsley was too wild, he was throwing the ball all over the place and his defense was poor, he was getting beat again and again.

Yeah Tinsley stunk it up after the 1st. I think he let their #11 get to his head. It seemed after they started jabbing and both got T's, he started trying to out-do the guy, which took him and the team out of their game.

Unclebuck
02-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Observation: Ron Artest is not very good as the midleman on a fast break. He does not look comfortable in that situation, I don't understand it, because within the halfcourt offense, he creates more offense than anyone. On the other hand Harrington is excellent in being the middleman on a fastbreak, excellent

ChicagoJ
02-01-2004, 12:36 AM

I just knew when Tinsley picked up TO #5 that you'd probably point that out. Since my man Ragnar's out of town, I'll chime in here... ( :devil: )

10 assists to five TOs is still a 2:1 ratio, which is generally the PG barometer. Its not like if AJ or KA had five TOs to go with three assists. Also, on Tinsley's last two TOs, I thought the guy he was passing to was held. Yes, Tinsley gets credit for those turnovers, but those aren't his fault any more than they're my fault. So now he's down to 10 assists and 3 TOs, I can live with a 3:1 ATO ratio from my PG.

Having said all that, I'd rank this as Tinsley's worst game of the year - although he was stellar in the first quarter as Hicks pointed out. But I still wanted him back in there at the end. Yes, AJ hit some big shots, but he was a big part of the reason the offense got stale. I was about to add AJ's name to the assassins thread, but then we had that last possession where he couldn't do anything...

Anthem
02-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Observation: Ron Artest is not very good as the midleman on a fast break. He does not look comfortable in that situation, I don't understand it, because within the halfcourt offense, he creates more offense than anyone. On the other hand Harrington is excellent in being the middleman on a fastbreak, excellent

I noticed that. He had Jeff and Jones on a 3-on-2, and passed to Jeff who got called for the charge. He could have hit Freddy for the and-one.

Ragnar
02-01-2004, 11:05 AM

I just knew when Tinsley picked up TO #5 that you'd probably point that out. Since my man Ragnar's out of town, I'll chime in here... ( :devil: )

10 assists to five TOs is still a 2:1 ratio, which is generally the PG barometer. Its not like if AJ or KA had five TOs to go with three assists. Also, on Tinsley's last two TOs, I thought the guy he was passing to was held. Yes, Tinsley gets credit for those turnovers, but those aren't his fault any more than they're my fault. So now he's down to 10 assists and 3 TOs, I can live with a 3:1 ATO ratio from my PG.

Having said all that, I'd rank this as Tinsley's worst game of the year - although he was stellar in the first quarter as Hicks pointed out. But I still wanted him back in there at the end. Yes, AJ hit some big shots, but he was a big part of the reason the offense got stale. I was about to add AJ's name to the assassins thread, but then we had that last possession where he couldn't do anything...

Thanks for taking the lead there for me Jay. :dance: :pepper:

I got a late start for home Saturday so unfortunatly I was in the car. I think I was somewhere in Tenn when the game started and in Kentucky when it got over so I did not even hear the game let alone see it so I just dont know how he played.

So UB gets a free ride on this one. :devil:

Unclebuck
02-01-2004, 01:28 PM

I got a late start for home Saturday so unfortunatly I was in the car. I think I was somewhere in Tenn when the game started and in Kentucky when it got over so I did not even hear the game let alone see it so I just dont know how he played.

when the cats away the mice will play.

So sorry you missed the gme

Ragnar
02-01-2004, 02:22 PM

when the cats away the mice will play.

So sorry you missed the gme

Me too I saw the ESPN news highlights when I got in at 3:30 am

MagicRat
02-01-2004, 03:05 PM

Here's the video breakdown of Jamaal's TO's, although it's pretty noisy:
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/JamaalTO.WMV

1. Jermaine got held/didn't get to the ball
2. Low, but Artest should've handled. I'll blame his thumb.
3. Deflected, but made up for by poking the dribble away on the Celt's break.
4. Another deflection, trying to get to Reggie spotted up for 3 in the corner.
5. Artest juked to the outside and stopped.

As unofficial stat man for the Tinsley fan club, I'll give him 2 TO's......

Alabama-Redneck
02-01-2004, 04:23 PM
I also want to talk about Tinsley. He had a good 1st quarter (all pacers had a good 1st quarter) and a bad 2nd quarter but I want to point out his attitude.

People bad-mouth him about his attitude but last night when was on the bench, he was one of the biggest cheerleaders for the team.

He was up cheering on AJ and the rest of the team. I don't know how many noticed but the camera panned in on him several times and he was the only one standing up and cheering.

I like that attitude.

:dance: :pepper: :cool: