PDA

View Full Version : Going to game Friday, where do I take the wife for dinner?

HC
02-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Looking for some suggestions on a good place downtown to take my wife for dinner. Nothing ridiculously overpriced, but not your everyday meal either. Thanks in advance for any help....I have been thinking about St.Elmo's by the way.

Since86
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Avoid the Surf N'Turf then. lol

I took my GF at the time there last March, and she ordered it. I knew what was coming, but she was completely in shock. We ended up getting free tickets and then upgraded to first row once we sat down by winning the KIA free seat giveaway, so that helped make up for the dinner bill. Everything was a-okay by morning.

duke dynamite
02-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Best Locker Room...lol

Unclebuck
02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Go to Scholars Inn on Mass Ave. No more expensive than St. Elmos and much, much more unique - and a place your wife will love. The food IMO is better as well - but then I really don't like steak. I see you are 26 years old and I assume your wife is near that age - yeah Scholars Inn is the place to go. The way the tables are arranged and laid out you feel like you are the only ones in the restaurant - very romantic

http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html

Here is what I posted over the summer. We plan on going again sometime in March.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=40481

HC
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Best Locker Room...lol

I am in 101, isn't that lower level access only? Seriously though, do they serve good food there? I would never take my wife there, at least not near valentines day, but I am interested in trying it out. I ate up at Market Square Gardens back in the day, I thought it was decent.

HC
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Go to Scholars Inn on Mass Ave. No more expensive than St. Elmos and much, much more unique - and a place your wife will love. The food IMO is better as well - but then I really don't like steak

http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html

Here is what I posted over the summer. We plan on going again sometime in March.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=40481

Awesome, thanks again...Is there a dress code, and are reservations necessary?

Trader Joe
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Harry and Izzy's next to St. Elmo's is run by the same people and has the same sort of fare, but at a cheaper price.

Unclebuck
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Awesome, thanks again...Is there a dress code, and are reservations necessary?

No dress code. I wore jeans with a nice shirt and nice shoes - and I was more than fine. It is certainly not a stuffy place or a place with a lot of older people - has a somewhat younger crowd for an expensive place. I wouldn't wear jeans and t-short or jeans and a sweat shirt though - but that is just me. It is pretty casual.

I would recommend reservations, although if you are going before a Pacers game you probably won't need them - they do - or they did with me allow me to pick a table or an area of a restaurant in advance. If you tell them what you want - quiet romantic or more lively area of the restaurant. Be sure they show you around after your meal - it is worth the 5 minutes to go upstairs and see the huge table - wow what a great place for a party of 12-16 people

Hope you loved it as much as we did

grace
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I am in 101, isn't that lower level access only? Seriously though, do they serve good food there?

No, at least in my experience. We ate there a couple times and neither one of us liked our food.

Erik
02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/indianapolis.htm Do yourself a favor and go here. It's right by the Fieldhouse.

duke dynamite
02-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I am in 101, isn't that lower level access only? Seriously though, do they serve good food there? I would never take my wife there, at least not near valentines day, but I am interested in trying it out. I ate up at Market Square Gardens back in the day, I thought it was decent.

No, at least in my experience. We ate there a couple times and neither one of us liked our food.
I was just joking anyway. The food is the same quality you would get at an Arby's, but imagine it about 4 X's the price.

BRushWithDeath
02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
I was just joking anyway. The food is the same quality you would get at an Arby's, but imagine it about 4 X's the price.

The food sucks. But they have a far better beer menu than the main concourses.

As for dinner, it's pricey but if you were thinking about St. Elmo's price isn't a huge issue. I've been to basically every upscale restaurant in the city. No place compares to the Oceannaire Seafood Room.

count55
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Weber's grill is pretty decent, and so is Harry & Izzy's.

Iaria's has the best Italian downtown, over on College.

Whatever you do, go before the game. The last two home games have been bad enough to put you off your feed.

duke dynamite
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Weber's grill is pretty decent, and so is Harry & Izzy's.

Iaria's has the best Italian downtown, over on College.

Whatever you do, go before the game. The last two home games have been bad enough to put you off your feed.
I want to go there.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-04-2009, 11:54 AM
It's not as upscale, but Buca Di Beppo is always nice.

BRushWithDeath
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I want to go there.

Get the meatloaf. It's outstanding. And it's only like $15 for entree. And their pretzel rolls make it worth going.

Unclebuck
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

I didn't like that place at all - I mean I guess it was better than Olive Garden - but Buca is not high quality food. Maybe it is a fun place with a large group of poeople - but for a nice dinner - No

Trader Joe
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Get the meatloaf. It's outstanding. And it's only like $15 for entree. And their pretzel rolls make it worth going.

Yeah the meatloaf is really good.

Since86
02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
MOM! WHERE'S THE MEATLOAF!?

F***!

count55
02-04-2009, 03:32 PM

I didn't like that place at all - I mean I guess it was better than Olive Garden - but Buca is not high quality food. Maybe it is a fun place with a large group of poeople - but for a nice dinner - No

Buca's food is pretty mediocre, but it is a relatively cheap, fun place for a big group.

However, if you want to do Italian for a big group, Maggiano's has both good food and a good atmosphere for large groups.

It's not downtown, though.

Unclebuck
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Buca's food is pretty mediocre, but it is a relatively cheap, fun place for a big group.

However, if you want to do Italian for a big group, Maggiano's has both good food and a good atmosphere for large groups.

It's not downtown, though.

Yes Maggiano's is much, much better than Buca. If I had a bunch of kids or teenagers I wanted to take to a good dinner, I would consider Buca - otherwise I won't be going back.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I went to Maggiano's before, I thought the food was terrible. It tasted worse than Chef Boyardee.

Unclebuck
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I went to Maggiano's before, I thought the food was terrible. It tasted worse than Chef Boyardee.

What did you get. Next time get the Veal and Mushroom Ravioli - you will love it

travmil
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
There are WAY too many excellent Italian places dotted all over this city in every area to waste your cash at a place like Maggiano's or Buca di Beppo.

Downtown: Milano Inn, Iaria's, Amici's
Broad Ripple: Mama Carolla's, Ambrosia, (I miss Mezzaluna)
North: Capri, Amalfi's

The food at Maggiano's or Buca's is almost inedible in comparison to ANY of those places I mentioned above. Especially Buca's.

Unclebuck
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
There are WAY too many excellent Italian places dotted all over this city in every area to waste your cash at a place like Maggiano's or Buca di Beppo.

The food at Maggiano's or Buca's is almost inedible in comparison to ANY of those places I mentioned above. Especially Buca's.

Not a fan of Milano Inn, love Amalfi's - but if I am with a a group of 8 people, a couple kids, aged 10 and 12 - we won't be going to Amalfi's - but yes the food is better than Maggiano's - no doubt. My favorite is Mama Carollo's. Also like Mangia's in Carmel.

count55
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM

I thought the food at Maggiano's was fine, but it's probably been four or five years since I've gone there. I was thinking large group...I'd never go for just a couple of people.

Iaria's is the best downtown. I've always found Milano to be a little pedestrian, on a par with what I'd had at Maggiano's.

I haven't been to the Broad Ripple restaurants, but Capri and Amalfi's are far and away the best on your list.

There used to be a place in Nora year ago called Il Gargano that I thought was the best, but I'm pretty sure it's closed now.

MagicRat
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
If you're looking for a value proposition, I'd recommend The Cheesecake Factory.....

grace
02-06-2009, 05:17 PM
If you're looking for a value proposition, I'd recommend The Cheesecake Factory.....

:grinyes:

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-07-2009, 01:09 PM
where did you end up taking her?

duke dynamite
02-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I will tell you, we ate at the Varsity Club during the game, up against the "rail". It was very, very expensive. The quality of food, however was great.

jeffg-body
02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I took mine to sjapiro's. Not expensive and classy but the best pastrami sandwich this side of the country.

LG33
02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I would suggest going here in the future. It really captures the mood.

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://media.povo.com/D/5593/1/0/8/525x355/Flickr:2051569410&usg=AFQjCNHCB5mrLK6iCfUK77lpYqHmSLcMxg

Unclebuck
02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
So where did you go???

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 04:11 AM
What are some good locally owned restaurants that are priced on par with the chain drudgery? Lisa (wife) and I are looking to try some new things, but neither one of us believe in spending St. Elmo kind of money on a meal.

No kids is always a bonus... If I managed to get a sitter, I'd hate for someone else's undisciplined child to ruin our night out.

Unclebuck
02-18-2009, 09:39 AM
What are some good locally owned restaurants that are priced on par with the chain drudgery? Lisa (wife) and I are looking to try some new things, but neither one of us believe in spending St. Elmo kind of money on a meal.

No kids is always a bonus... If I managed to get a sitter, I'd hate for someone else's undisciplined child to ruin our night out.

I have a few places in mind, but let me ask a couple of questions first. How much are you looking to spend with tip. $40.00? $50.00? $60.00? The crazy thing is with the very high taxes on restaurant meals and the tip it doesn't take anything to get to $50.00. Do you usually order a couple of drinks each - usually have desserts. I only ask to know the price range. what type of food do you like - ethnic, american.....If you like Italian there are a few places that are great, locally owned and proce isn't bad

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I have a few places in mind, but let me ask a couple of questions first. How much are you looking to spend with tip. $40.00? $50.00? $60.00? The crazy thing is with the very high taxes on restaurant meals and the tip it doesn't take anything to get to $50.00. Do you usually order a couple of drinks each - usually have desserts. I only ask to know the price range. what type of food do you like - ethnic, american.....If you like Italian there are a few places that are great, locally owned and proce isn't bad

I'd say around $50 for the meal and $5-$10 for the tip depending on service. Usually we don't drink when we're at a restaurant. Appetizers and deserts are 50/50 depending on mood. As for what kind of food, we do Italian probably the most followed by American fare. I've never really tried any kind of ethnic foods other then Chinese. My wife is rather picky and not very experimental with food so, it makes it kind of hard to spend $50 on a meal that we're not sure about. Do you have any suggestions on the "Ethnic" food front?

Unclebuck
02-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd say around $50 for the meal and $5-$10 for the tip depending on service. Usually we don't drink when we're at a restaurant. Appetizers and deserts are 50/50 depending on mood. As for what kind of food, we do Italian probably the most followed by American fare. I've never really tried any kind of ethnic foods other then Chinese. My wife is rather picky and not very experimental with food so, it makes it kind of hard to spend $50 on a meal that we're not sure about. Do you have any suggestions on the "Ethnic" food front?

I would highly recommend you try Thai - it is my favorite. (Although I just realized most of the places I go to are on the northside of Indy and you live on the westside, so I don't know what is in Plainfield, Avon or Brownsburg - not sure I can be much help. I am not even that familar with a lot of places downtown. But if you are ever are going to Broad Ripple, Castleton, Carmel or Keystone at the Crossing area.

I do know if you and or your wife like BBQ ribs, you have to try Scotty's - they are the best in town for sure and probably the best I've ever had and I've had them probably 10 times, and they are consistant

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I would highly recommend you try Thai - it is my favorite. (Although I just realized most of the places I go to are on the northside of Indy and you live on the westside, so I don't know what is in Plainfield, Avon or Brownsburg - not sure I can be much help. I am not even that familar with a lot of places downtown. But if you are ever are going to Broad Ripple, Castleton, Carmel or Keystone at the Crossing area.

Where do you get your Thai food? We're from the same area it appears.

Also, has anyone tried BARcelona downtown? It's a tapas restaurant and I've heard some really good things. We also talk about going there after games and just never seem to actually do it.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
BARcelona Tapas, one of my favorite restaurants.
I almost suggested the buffet lunch as a way of sampling a lot of their dishes, but with tapas, that's what you're doing anyway.

Thai -- "westside" Sawasdee 86th & Ditch, NE corner. If you're on the picky side, but like Chinese, Thai is just a step up. Also Sawasdee is one of the better Thai restaurants in the city. Better Chinese, not so adventuresome, is Sesame @ 86th & Ditch, SW corner.

There is virtually nothing but chains suburban west.
Ya gotta spend some bucks to get away from children.

http://www.indyethnicfood.com
Check out the Top 10 patron favorites. Some of these though are adventures in ethnic cuisine.

I did a search at indyethnicfood --- Restaurants - Restaurant Directory
West-Southwest side of town, Rated 3+ and really didn't find anything that interesting except for Cairo Cafe.
Then I tried Northwest, Rated 3+ and my best picks would be Athens on 86th, and Ocean World.
You can also search your zip code.

Dinner for two
Sesame = $30-35
Sawasdee = $50
Ocean World = $50
Athens on 86th = $60
Cairo Cafe = $30
ahh here's another -- Istanbul Cafe = $75

These are all pretty north except for Cairo. While ethnic, none are terribly spicy, although Thai food can be.
Yeah, I eat out A LOT!

Unclebuck
02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Sawasdee 86th & Ditch is my favorute Thai place. But I also like Thai Cafe in Broad Ripple, Jasmine at 96th and Keystone area and even The Thai Castle in Carmel is pretty good

Knucklehead Warrior
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Sawasdee 86th & Ditch is my favorute Thai place. But I also like Thai Cafe in Broad Ripple, Jasmine at 96th and Keystone area and even The Thai Castle in Carmel is pretty good

Jasmine Thai and Sawasdee typicallly compete for the best Thai in town. Right now though they're getting a run for their money from a new upstart down on Virginia Ave called Siam Square.

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
UB, side of town doesn't matter, just tell me what you know? Anyway, it would seem like most of the culinary talent is on the North side of the city. Everywhere else, especially on the west side, there are too many chain restaurants to compete with.

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
BARcelona Tapas, one of my favorite restaurants.
I almost suggested the buffet lunch as a way of sampling a lot of their dishes, but with tapas, that's what you're doing anyway.

Thai -- "westside" Sawasdee 86th & Ditch, NE corner. If you're on the picky side, but like Chinese, Thai is just a step up. Also Sawasdee is one of the better Thai restaurants in the city. Better Chinese, not so adventuresome, is Sesame @ 86th & Ditch, SW corner.

There is virtually nothing but chains suburban west.
Ya gotta spend some bucks to get away from children.

http://www.indyethnicfood.com
Check out the Top 10 patron favorites. Some of these though are adventures in ethnic cuisine.

I did a search at indyethnicfood --- Restaurants - Restaurant Directory
West-Southwest side of town, Rated 3+ and really didn't find anything that interesting except for Cairo Cafe.
Then I tried Northwest, Rated 3+ and my best picks would be Athens on 86th, and Ocean World.
You can also search your zip code.

Dinner for two
Sesame = $30-35
Sawasdee = $50
Ocean World = $50
Athens on 86th = $60
Cairo Cafe = $30
ahh here's another -- Istanbul Cafe = $75

These are all pretty north except for Cairo. While ethnic, none are terribly spicy, although Thai food can be.
Yeah, I eat out A LOT!

Trust me, I know what you mean about the west side!

As for the comment on children... you are so right. When did it become common place for everyone to take their children everywhere they go? Heck, you can't even go to an R rated movie anymore with out someone's screaming brat in attendance. Bring back the baby sitter! I know it sounds harsh, but nothing ruins a good time like making efforts to secure a sitter only to have someone else's kid destroying the atmosphere.

Thanks for the food tips.

Unclebuck
02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
UB, side of town doesn't matter, just tell me what you know? Anyway, it would seem like most of the culinary talent is on the North side of the city. Everywhere else, especially on the west side, there are too many chain restaurants to compete with.

For Italian - I would recommend Mama Carolla's - in Broad Ripple - or actually at 54th street between Keystone and College - right on the monon. Price is pretty good - but you might want to avoid the weekends, because they don't take reservations and the wait is usually at least at hour. The food is great and I also love the atmosphere.

Amalfi's is also excellent - I think the food is as good as Mama Carolla's (the chicken lazagna is outstanding) but the atmosphere isn't as good as Mama's. Amalfi's is at 86th and Ditch on the Northwestside. But this is the type of place where the owner comes around to every table to make sure everything is OK.

I love Italian and those two are my favorites and prices aren't bad. Went to Amalfi's in October and the bill with tip and everything was $78.00 for two. One appetizer and I think 1 drink each. Mama's is maybe a couple of dollars less but about the same.

There are several good, non-chain restaurants near 86th and Ditch - Oakleys is great - but that will run you over $100 easy for 2.

I agree with you on the babysitter. When i was growing up with my two brothers and sisters we never went out to eat. Besides fast food and Noble Romans - we would stay home with a babysitter and my parents would go out.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Amalfi's is also excellent - I think the food is as good as Mama Carolla's......I love Italian and those two are my favorites

ditto

What a substantial change from the last Italian discussion we had on this board a few years back, ergo "When it comes to Italian, it's hard to beat Olive Garden."

Trader Joe
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I think the baby sitter died with the era of both parents working. Now parents want to spend more time with their kids at home because they spend their afternoons apart, so the evenings are prime time. Parents still want to do "adult" things so they drag their kids with them and call it family time. :twocents:

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I think the baby sitter died with the era of both parents working. Now parents want to spend more time with their kids at home because they spend their afternoons apart, so the evenings are prime time. Parents still want to do "adult" things so they drag their kids with them and call it family time. :twocents:

Unfortunately you're probably right. I have nothing against kids, just the parents that don't make their kids behave properly in a place like a restaurant. Or the idiots that take their 7 year olds to an R rated movie.

Unclebuck
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
ditto

What a substantial change from the last Italian discussion we had on this board a few years back, ergo "When it comes to Italian, it's hard to beat Olive Garden."

Olve Garden I think is hideous. I'll never go back. If I'm in the mood for decent to good Italian at a good price, I'll gladly go to Bravos's - not saying it is great, but for lunch or Sunday afternoon it is good.

Have you ever been to Mangia's in Carmel.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Olve Garden I think is hideous. I'll never go back. If I'm in the mood for decent to good Italian at a good price, I'll gladly go to Bravos's - not saying it is great, but for lunch or Sunday afternoon it is good.

Bravo's is one of the best chains out there I think.
I've never been to Mangia's. Why don't you go over to the indyethnicfood website and review it? It hasn't been reviewed in 5 years.

count55
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Bravo's is one of the best chains out there I think.
I've never been to Mangia's. Why don't you go over to the indyethnicfood website and review it? It hasn't been reviewed in 5 years.

I never liked Bravo's or Carraba's...don't like the menus. I don't like Olive Garden, but I prefer it to those two.

Capri, just north of 71st on Keystone, is outstanding, but can get pricey.

Roaming Gnome
02-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about The Melting Pot? I haven't really had Fondue since I was a kid and my wife hit me up with the idea.

count55
02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Does anyone have an opinion about The Melting Pot? I haven't really had Fondue since I was a kid and my wife hit me up with the idea.

Good stuff...there's one just South of where I live. A tad pricey, though.

Erik
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I didn't like paying that much money and cooking my own food. That place is highly overrated IMO.

Roaming Gnome
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I never liked Bravo's or Carraba's...don't like the menus. I don't like Olive Garden, but I prefer it to those two.

I wish I would have followed your advice... My wife and I went to Bravo's on the advice of one of my wife's co-workers who raved about the place. We were less then impressed. The food was "ok", but the atmosphere was dreadful. I never knew it was acceptable to have a couple in the same small room as 2 parties of 10 and a party of 6. Not to mention the kids running around. We practically had to yell at each other to talk. :headache:

At the end of the night, I get this dropped on me... "See, we should of just gone to Olive Garden! :mad:" Tonight will be a set back in getting away from the Olive Garden and other chain drudgery.

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
I wish I would have followed your advice... My wife and I went to Bravo's on the advice of one of my wife's co-workers who raved about the place. We were less then impressed. The food was "ok", but the atmosphere was dreadful. I never knew it was acceptable to have a couple in the same small room as 2 parties of 10 and a party of 6. Not to mention the kids running around. We practically had to yell at each other to talk. :headache:

At the end of the night, I get this dropped on me... "See, we should of just gone to Olive Garden! :mad:" Tonight will be a set back in getting away from the Olive Garden and other chain drudgery.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I still think the food is much better than Olive Garden. But if you wanted a nice dinner for two, yeah Bravo's (as you found out) wasn't the best choice.

idioteque
03-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Bravo's on the North Side? That place must have gone downhill, it was pretty good when I lived in Indy.

I still maintain that some of the best Italian food in Indianapolis can be found in Italian Gardens. I am actually going to try to take Mrs. DC there when we go back to Indy. Yes, the atmosphere is hokey and the place seems to be stuck in the 80's but the food is excellent.