PDA

View Full Version : Um, Will.......

Peck
06-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Could you please explain the following statement from Larry Bird in the context of your thought that he has the final say in Pacer player moves.

From today's Pacers.com article.

“I hear we’re really his second choice, that if he doesn’t go to Houston he’d like to come here,” Bird said. “That’s how I understand it through (CEO) Donnie (Walsh). And Donnie and the owners are going to have to handle this one. This is out of my league. I mean, this is big."

Why would anything be out of his league if, as you say, he has the final say in all player moves?

BTW, just busten your chops because of that Bird in charge article you put up. ;)

bulletproof
06-25-2004, 01:44 AM
:laugh:

I'm glad you posted this, Peck. I was tempted to, but was trying to show some restraint.

wintermute
06-25-2004, 02:01 AM
i think the situation is clear now.

larry is in charge of the draft, donnie is in charge of trades. now don't get me started on who's in charge of trading draft picks...

:D

(now i hope all this dies down now...)

beast23
06-25-2004, 05:02 AM
I think things are about as clear as mud.

Sound like Larry is not yet ready to assume his full responsibilities without a safety net.

But then again, when a trade looks like it might require 3 of your top 8 players, it is pretty big and will significantly alter the landscape.

But how do any of us really know who's doping what in light of Bird's statement?

Will Galen
06-25-2004, 05:09 AM
Could you please explain the following statement from Larry Bird in the context of your thought that he has the final say in Pacer player moves.

From today's Pacers.com article.

“I hear we’re really his second choice, that if he doesn’t go to Houston he’d like to come here,” Bird said. “That’s how I understand it through (CEO) Donnie (Walsh). And Donnie and the owners are going to have to handle this one. This is out of my league. I mean, this is big."

Why would anything be out of his league if, as you say, he has the final say in all player moves?

BTW, just busten your chops because of that Bird in charge article you put up. ;)

Well, after reading the same article I asked myself why would a trade involve the owners? The only thing I can think of is the proposed trade for TMac will send us well over what the team figures the luxury tax will be. Meaning the owners would have to pay a dollar penalty for each dollar we are over. For instant if we went over by a million dollars, it would cost the owners another million on top of that. It appears the increase is so much that Donnie will have to ask the owners to go over the cap.

So this one is out of Bird's league because of the financial considerations. It also shows Bird is in charge, because this deal is so big money wise that he has to kick it upstairs for Donnie to ask permission. In other words Donnie and the Simon's have to handle it.

Now if that inference is true, it would have to mean that the trade for TMac is bigger than the ones we have discussed on here. It would have to be bigger than just us getting TMac for 2 or 3 of our players, and more or less going dollar for dollar.

I'm thinking for the owners to be involved it means we are taking back significantly more salary in the proposed trade. At least 2 or 3 million if it means Donnie has to ask permission.

Think about it. TMac makes $14,487,000 million next year. Trades have to be within 15%, + $100,000. That means the Magic can trade TMac for a player or combination of players making between $11,800,000 - $16,200,000. Of course from our end we have to be within 15% and $100,000 of TMac's $14 million.

Now here is who we have under contract for next year.

O'Neal................$16,425,000
Croshere ...........$8,260,000
Harrington........$6,250,000
Bender...............$6,248,000
Pollard...............$5,792,250
Artest................$5,720,000
Miller.................$5,000,000
Foster................$4,180,000
Jones.................$1,572,480
Tinsley...............$1,554,326
Brewer................$718,513 est.
JJ........................$412,797 est.

Obviously O'Neal isn't involved. And it seems both Artest and Harrington are involved, but their salary's only add up to $11,970,000, and don't put the Pacers within 15% of TMac's salary. So we have to throw someone else into the deal. The Magic want a good player and not just a cap filler, so I'm thinking whoever it is they want means they have to throw in another player to make the trade work. And that whoever they throw in works cap wise, but also means we will be taking back significantly more salary. Which in turn means Donnie has to ask the Simon's for permission.

That's the only explanation I could think of. Why else involve the Simon's?

Now I'm going back to bed!!!!!!! I got up to take a leak and should never have turned the computer back on to read the forum.

Mutter . . . mutter, . . . mutter . . . Calling me out in the middle of the night . . . that cotton picking Peck! Mutter . . . mutter. :cool:

Suaveness
06-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Hey Will...those numbers appear to be wrong. You should check hoopshype again

Will Galen
06-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I took them off of Pacers Digest instead of Hoopshype because I thought I could copy and paste. I thought Hicks took them off Hoopshype?

The numbers don't matter though. It's the idea that we have such a big trade offer on the table that the Simons have to be in on it. Here's the paragraph of interest again.

“I hear we’re really his second choice, that if he doesn’t go to Houston he’d like to come here,” Bird said. “That’s how I understand it through (CEO) Donnie (Walsh). And Donnie and the owners are going to have to handle this one. This is out of my league. I mean, this is big.

Appearently Donnie was the one on the phone with Orlando when it was revealed the Pacers were Tracys 2nd choice. That can be deduced because Bird said that's how he understood it though Donnie.

Two, he reveals this trade is so big that the Simon's will have to get involved. That means to me that Donnie is going to have to ask for permission to go into luxery tax territory.

Think too that we have a trade exception from losing Brezac and I'm asking myself who the heck is involved from Orlando's side, Grant Hill?

I don't know! And since my numbers appear to be wrong I'm not going to speculate.

SjA3837
06-25-2004, 12:12 PM
I think Larry just doesn't want to ruin what DW started.
I still think it's still DW's team, and Larry is basically just being trained.
Larry could make the trade, but if it all goes wrong, it would be better for the guy to put the team together to chance stuff up.
But I think they both are pretty much an agreement on things before it happens.

Young
06-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Well I think there is something going down.
This is all to werid.
First Bird wanted TMac and then we here about 6-7 diffrent deals. [He always wanted him, just never made a big run at him from what I understand, until now, well DW and the owners now.]
Second he wanted Luke Jackson, really bad. Did we get him? No.
Then we take David Harrison. That pick confusses me still but only a tiny bit now but I don't wanna go any further regarding DH.
And finally, the player Bird really wanted was Ben Gordon?
And now we're trying to get back into the TMac sweepstakes.

pacerwaala
06-25-2004, 10:48 PM
I think it works like this every where. We just are not used to Larry Bird kind of candidness