PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Appreesh Thread (SPOILERS)

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Did anyone watch last night's episode? So crazy! This series is going to end in such an epic manner.

Peck
01-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Did anyone watch last night's episode? So crazy! This series is going to end in such an epic manner.

Yea, I posted in the tv thread my thoughts on this. However I will agree with you that last nights episode was great and frankly a long time in coming.

I just wish they had more time to tell this part of the story because frankly this, IMO, should have been addressed way back in season 3 (or whenever it was) when Adam seized military control of the fleet.

I hope that they do not paint Gaida witha wide brush of being a traitor because, again IMO, I think he is doing what he believes to be the right thing.

However either way it is great that the show is going out with a bang.

Hicks
01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Gaeta got to this point because of what they showed during the webisodes set around this same time (though obviously just before what's happening now). If you haven't seen them, I'd go to www.scifi.com/battlestar and seek them out.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-01-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty happy with the way this series is going out.

Skaut_Ech
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Haven't watched an epsiode all season. DVR'ed everything. Jjust got caught up over the last few days. Wow.

I mean, wow.

How great has this season been? Could the colonials be more racist, xenophobic arseholes? I almost wished I didn't watch the episodes, cause now I'm REALLY dying to see what happens next. I'm as geeled up as I was watching the final season of The Wire.

Hicks
02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
They are being ********, but keep in mind this isn't just a "I don't like you because you're different" thing. It's a "I don't like you because you're different....oh, and the part where you KILLED BILLIONS OF MY PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU FELT LIKE IT part".

On the bigger point, I agree this season has been very good so far. It's nice to see the show (if this keeps up) going out strong like this.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I can't wait until friday. To me, this is the greatest television show of all time.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Favorite character?

I'd say Baltar, followed closely by Admiral Adama, and Roslin.

Hicks
02-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Bill Adama

Peck
02-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I guess I am the one person who was not thrilled with the end of last weeks show.

Frankly I thought it was a copout and felt they rushed through the entire insurection when I thought it would carry us to the end of the show.l

However I freely admit being odd on this because I view Adama as the bad person in this scenario.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I guess I am the one person who was not thrilled with the end of last weeks show.

Frankly I thought it was a copout and felt they rushed through the entire insurection when I thought it would carry us to the end of the show.l

However I freely admit being odd on this because I view Adama as the bad person in this scenario.

I think they rushed it too, but it still wasn't bad.

As for Adama, I agree and disagree. To me though that's what makes the show great. You don't always agree with their actions, there are moral dilemmas and they make mistakes. I see him as acting in a proper manner, but I also see a lot of problems in what he did.

Kegboy
02-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Oh, you're not the only one. The end where everyone on the frakin' ship marched with him to CinC was a bit much.

Also, I wish someone would mention that if Roslin hadn't pulled her "oh, whoa is me" crap this all would have been avoided.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Also, I wish someone would mention that if Roslin hadn't pulled her "oh, whoa is me" crap this all would have been avoided.

That may be true, but you have to admit her angry rant on the Cylon battleship was pretty epic.

Also is anyone else pumped that we're cylons?

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2009, 03:58 AM

I agree with you that the resolution of the insurrection felt quit rushed and the march to the CnC at the end of the episode felt rather cheese ball, but I'm rather glad that they didn't end the show in this premise. Personally, I would have been disappointed.

Haven't watched an epsiode all season. DVR'ed everything. Jjust got caught up over the last few days. Wow.

I mean, wow.

How great has this season been? I almost wished I didn't watch the episodes, cause now I'm REALLY dying to see what happens next.

I know how you feel. Normally I stock pile half a season at a time, but Hicks has convinced me to watch it week to week. I'm not use to having to wait to watch somthing, but I'm kind of glad that I'm on board with everyone else as this wraps up.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Was I the only one who thought last week's episode was kinda a filler? I guess I'm just expecting too much, but it wasn't that epic.

Hicks
02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Seriously?! They practically dropped the Cylon Bible in our laps with new backstory information. I loved that ep.

Also, for the record, I liked Adama w/ "posse" heading to CIC the episode prior.

count55
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Seriously?! They practically dropped the Cylon Bible in our laps with new backstory information. I loved that ep.

Also, for the record, I liked Adama w/ "posse" heading to CIC the episode prior.

I didn't have an opinion one way or the other on the march, but I did think they handled the insurrection the right way. That's the type of thing that, realistically, either takes hold and everybody gets killed, or fails almost immediately.

As to Gaeta, all I have to say is God save us from people doing what they think is right. I didn't get a chance to go through all the webisodes, but he seemed just disgruntled, and struck me as the same type of person who's the perfect dupe for a guy like the Veep's character. He's the well-intentioned, patriotic facilitator who goes about building something, but doesn't realize what it is until the dead bodies are coming out of the gas chambers. No sympathy for him, whatsoever.

count55
02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
BTW...I've been buying the eps off of iTunes, and I don't know if any of you have seen it, but the cover art is essentially a re-staging of DaVinci's Last Supper, with Number 6 as the Christ.

Hicks
02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
The webisodes did help explain his behavior.

In a nutshell, one of the Sharons goes nuts on him and other humans stranded on a shuttle, killing everyone but him. To make it worse on Gaeta, it happened to be a Sharon he knew/worked with (and at least once kissed) on New Caprica. Any chance he had of trusting the Cylons was just shattered after that experience.

Kegboy
02-19-2009, 10:35 AM

In a nutshell, one of the Sharons goes nuts on him and other humans stranded on a shuttle, killing everyone but him. To make it worse on Gaeta, it happened to be a Sharon he knew/worked with (and at least once kissed) on New Caprica. Any chance he had of trusting the Cylons was just shattered after that experience.

It was worse than that. He thought the Sharon had helped him rescue people he knew on New Caprica. In actuality, she was having them all murdered. That's what dropped the final screw in his head.

count55
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM

It was worse than that. He thought the Sharon had helped him rescue people he knew on New Caprica. In actuality, she was having them all murdered. That's what dropped the final screw in his head.

Nope...still doesn't do it for me.

So he was justified in hating that Sharon. It's understandable, but not justifiable, that he hates all Cylons. However, that may explain his hatred, but how does it justify the revolt? He felt he was doing the right thing, but it was motivated purely by hatred and racism. This opened him up to be used by Zarek, who simply was a megalomaniac.

At best, his actions are understandable, but that makes them no more right, nor does it diminish the damage that they wrought.

BTW...I'm not saying that I am any better. I may have done the same things...and been just as wrong.

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Co-sign!!

Yeah, there wasn't a lot of "action", per se, but good Gods, my head is STILL swimming at all the info they threw at us. I am still trying to digest it all. I am shocked they revealed so much about the Cylons.

Kegboy
02-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow.

Well, that actually made up for the turd sandwich last week was.

Hicks
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, hard to give a damn about Boomer now, isn't it? Chief got screwed and now IS screwed when he's inevitably discovered.

Kegboy
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, hard to give a damn about Boomer now, isn't it? Chief got screwed and now IS screwed when he's inevitably discovered.

Yes, well, it's not like he threw Callie out an airlock.

That sound you hear is me rapping my fingers waiting for that to finally come out. Of course, doing so would probably mean they'd have to give Tori more than one line in an episode. It's getting to the point she's vying with Doral for most boring Cylon.

count55
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, well, it's not like he threw Callie out an airlock.

You say that as if throwing Callie out an airlock was a bad thing.

Hicks
03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Wait... "he" thew Callie...? Tory's a cold *****, but still a female. I don't see how you put that blood on his hands. Hell, Callie knocked his *** out shortly prior to her ejection.

Kegboy
03-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Uh, no sarcasm there. He didn't throw Callie out the airlock, Tori did. Just complaining there gonna make a big deal out of this when Tori still hasn't been addressed.

Hicks
03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Uh, no sarcasm there. He didn't throw Callie out the airlock, Tori did. Just complaining there gonna make a big deal out of this when Tori still hasn't been addressed.

Okay. Thought you were blaming Callie's death on the Chief.

I also thought Tori would answer for this by now. Maybe the Chief will find out in the end, and take her out.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Holy crap! That episode was insane! It was predictable, but still epic. I can't wait for the final 3 episodes.

CableKC
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Okay. Thought you were blaming Callie's death on the Chief.

I also thought Tori would answer for this by now. Maybe the Chief will find out in the end, and take her out.
Although the Chief probably loved Callie in some way, I don't get the impression that his love for her is so strong that he would react that way...especially since their "supposed" kid isn't really his and he had very strong feelings for Boomer.

count55
03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, that ep was...meh.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Is anyone else crazy pumped for this finale? Two hours. Sadly it's the end of the greatest show in television.

Skaut_Ech
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I am TOTALLY geeked for it. I can not WAIT.

count55
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Is anyone else crazy pumped for this finale? Two hours. Sadly it's the end of the greatest show in television.

I am TOTALLY geeked for it. I can not WAIT.

Anybody else think they could have ended this about 3 or 4 eps ago with some judicious editing. I'm not sure how they're going to pay this off. There's still a sizable piece of me that is kind of pulling for an ending like this:

Galactica jumps into the colony, and is immediately blown out of the sky. The Cylons hunt down the remaining fleet, killing all the humans. Still not a freakin' character that I think should live. (Check that...I liked the Mark Sheppard, lawyer-guy, Romo Lampkin...other than that, meh.)

The last 90 minutes can be spent watching Trish Helfer and Grace Park, umm..."celebrate."

And, while it's pretty decent, it's nowhere near worthy of "greatest show in television."

Peck
03-17-2009, 12:08 PM
I am looking forward to it, however I guess I am still very dissapointed in the way they handled the rebellion (I refuse to call it a mutiny). I think it was to short, glossed over to much and there have been zero after afects on the fleet when according to those shows more than half of the fleet was with Zurich and Gaeda.

Oh well I guess that is just me.

But overall, yes I am looking forward to seeing the 2 hour finale.

count55
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I am looking forward to it, however I guess I am still very dissapointed in the way they handled the rebellion (I refuse to call it a mutiny). I think it was to short, glossed over to much and there have been zero after afects on the fleet when according to those shows more than half of the fleet was with Zurich and Gaeda.

I was OK with the quick resolution, until I realized that they were largely do nothing with four of the next five episodes.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Anybody else think they could have ended this about 3 or 4 eps ago with some judicious editing. I'm not sure how they're going to pay this off. There's still a sizable piece of me that is kind of pulling for an ending like this:

Galactica jumps into the colony, and is immediately blown out of the sky. The Cylons hunt down the remaining fleet, killing all the humans. Still not a freakin' character that I think should live. (Check that...I liked the Mark Sheppard, lawyer-guy, Romo Lampkin...other than that, meh.)

The last 90 minutes can be spent watching Trish Helfer and Grace Park, umm..."celebrate."

And, while it's pretty decent, it's nowhere near worthy of "greatest show in television."

The phrase: "greatest show in television" is subjective, it's always subjective. I watch a ton of TV and have not found a show better in quality than Battlestar, therefore I will continue to call it such until a time comes when there is something I think is better.

The thing is that the backlash among the fleet about the mutiny could be there but the show has always been Galactica-centric so we just don't see that side.

My prediction for the final episode is that Adama dies, Roslin succumbs to cancer and Hera will be saved as Galactica is destroyed and she is taken back to the fleet by Lee Adama and Kara. Kara will find out she's a half-human, half-cylon.

Other predictions?

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Holy Fraking crap! That was a perfect ending.

Peck
03-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Holy Fraking crap! That was a perfect ending.

Really?

To each their own I guess.

While I didn't hate the ending, I do feel less than satisfied.

In fact I hate the fact that Moore decided to show so much of the crap past of each character from back on Caprica.

Sorry the more I think about it the less I liked it. Maybe I'm just dumb but but I have questions that I guess someone is going to need to explain to me.

1. What the hell was Kara exactly? An angel? Ok, how did she become an angel? If she was always an angel then what the hell was that wreck on earth that she found? Why was she shown the music from her father and was her father God? This line of questioning could go on and on but I will stop there.

2. Ok what the hell was Baltar and Caprica 6? Were they angels as well? Wasn't it convieniant that Saul and Caprical 6 just seperated and acted like they never had a child together?

3. Why did Admiral Adama say goodbye to his son and they both acted like he was going off to his death when all he did was fly off to find a place to live?

I am sure I will have a thousand more questions but maybe I should just try and forget it all.

I don't know if I feel like that was rushed or if I felt like it dragged on forever.

When Moore was on the screen in that last scene I kept hoping Ira Steven Behr would appear from the side and slap him upside the head to make him remember how they ended DS9, truely the perfect ending for a show.

As it stands now I really have no desire to watch Caprica, I might watch the plan next fall but I'm not sure.

I think maybe I should sleep on this and see if I feel differant tomorrow.

Kegboy
03-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm just glad there were major consequences for Tori killing Callie.

Like the show itself, the finale had its pluses and minuses. I won't complain about the stuff I didn't care for, I will just say I absolutely adored every moment Baltar was on-screen. It's been well over a year since I changed my avatar, and little Gaius ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Really?

To each their own I guess.

While I didn't hate the ending, I do feel less than satisfied.

In fact I hate the fact that Moore decided to show so much of the crap past of each character from back on Caprica.

Sorry the more I think about it the less I liked it. Maybe I'm just dumb but but I have questions that I guess someone is going to need to explain to me.

1. What the hell was Kara exactly? An angel? Ok, how did she become an angel? If she was always an angel then what the hell was that wreck on earth that she found? Why was she shown the music from her father and was her father God? This line of questioning could go on and on but I will stop there.

2. Ok what the hell was Baltar and Caprica 6? Were they angels as well? Wasn't it convieniant that Saul and Caprical 6 just seperated and acted like they never had a child together?

3. Why did Admiral Adama say goodbye to his son and they both acted like he was going off to his death when all he did was fly off to find a place to live?

I am sure I will have a thousand more questions but maybe I should just try and forget it all.

I don't know if I feel like that was rushed or if I felt like it dragged on forever.

When Moore was on the screen in that last scene I kept hoping Ira Steven Behr would appear from the side and slap him upside the head to make him remember how they ended DS9, truely the perfect ending for a show.

As it stands now I really have no desire to watch Caprica, I might watch the plan next fall but I'm not sure.

I think maybe I should sleep on this and see if I feel differant tomorrow.

1) This show has always been about its mysteries, if all the questions were answered and wrapped up in a neat little box, it would have been a disservice to the show. The point with the cylon's song and her father had to do with fate and a divine hand watching over them, they alluded to that multiple times.

2) They were angels. That seems pretty evident based on things said by Six, Baltar and the angels. Saul is crazy in love with Ellen. Six and Saul had the child keeping that bond alive and when the baby died, they had nothing. You can see that Saul went back to his wife in the episodes leading up to it and Six was an emotional wreck trying to stay strong. A lot of that is showcased when Baltar and Six had a conversation in a previous episode and Six basically blew him off citing she had changed.

3) They acted like that because they both knew they wouldn't see each other again. Lee even said that as the Admiral was flying away.

It may have seemed like it dragged on, but they were giving each character their own special ending, a curtain call if you will. Everybody had a different favorite character, in fact, I can't find anyone who agrees on a favorite. So if you would have given Lee his little ending, but not Baltar, people like me who love Baltar would have been up in arms.

I thought the very very ending was a tad cheesy with the robot montage, but I did like how they pretty much took the idea of this will all happen before and it will happen again and tweaked it ever so slightly.

Peck
03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm just glad there were major consequences for Tori killing Callie.

Like the show itself, the finale had its pluses and minuses. I won't complain about the stuff I didn't care for, I will just say I absolutely adored every moment Baltar was on-screen. It's been well over a year since I changed my avatar, and little Gaius ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Ok, after sleeping on it I now wish this is what I would have typed. I came across as to critical when in fact I didn't hate the show.

Skaut_Ech
03-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Okay, I went to bed REALLY mixed about the final episode. Overall, I liked more than I didn't, but it left me kinda...unsatisfied. Some thoughts....

-Peck, you mentioning DS9 is a good analogy. I felt satisfied by that ending. Now, granted, BSG has a much broader reach than just about any show before it, and what's the saying, a man's reach should exceed his grasp? But I felt like there was a lot of wasted time in the finale.

-I found myself actually bored with a lot of the backstory stuff. It just wasn't needed. Kara and Lee were attracted to each other in the past. They have a frakked up relationship. Always have. This is news? Move on. Wasted screen time.

-The backstory with Rosslyn, the strip club stuff....zzzZZZzz.. Didn't ADD anything.

-And in the absolute most head scratching moment of the finale, Adama basically telling Lee that he would never see him again cause he was essentially moving down the street to live alone was..um.....beyond irrational. This is your sole surviving son. You've almost literally been to hell and back with him. Now that you've reached your nirvana, or sorts, you're going to say "se ya, nice knowing ya" for no reason? How about father and son spend their remaining years re-claiming some of the lost time Galacatica stole from them.

-How frakking hilarious was it when Cavil ate his own bullet? I laughed out loud!! He'd had enough of this merry-go-round. Excellent moment.

-Speaking of that moment, how GREAT was Baltar's speech? Honestly? He summeed up his whole existance and what he has learned with as impassioned and powerful a speech as I can remember in recent memory on TV. This wasn't Baltar putting on a show. This was Baltar finally being honest and true and sincere. And it was a nice set-up from Lee chastizing him last episode.

-And how about Lee telling Baltar that he did good, as he shot the dead Cylon? Funny and nice touch. Lee reached out to the man he at one point wanted dead.

As you can see, I'm pretty excited about the good stuff. Problem is that the tone screeched to a halt every time they flashed to the past.

Oh, yeah, I had to sleep on it, but the Kara/Angel thing worked for me. I like a little unexplained divine intervention.

I could go on and on dissecting and commenting, but basically, drop the flashback stuff and you have a MUCH stronger finale.

I've got some thoughts on the whole "ditch technology thing and live like the natives", but I've babbled long enough.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-21-2009, 11:16 AM

You see Kegboy, you're one of my favorite people on this board, based only on the fact that we share a love for Gaius Baltar. I have never met anyone else who thought of him as their favorite character.

Also, over there, in between those peaks. I saw some land which would be good for cultivating.

Hicks
03-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Overall..... I'm happy.

To some of the questions:

Kara post-death was an angel, but not before.

Head-Six and Head-Balter are also angels.

How 'bout them consequences for Tory, eh? Here I thought she was just going to skate by, then Chief went all Wayne Brady on her. Loved that.

Kudos too, to the writers for faking me out one last time. I thought they were going to break the cycle in CIC, then Chief/Tory hit the fan, and BLAM-O! :laugh:

Kegboy
03-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Now that I've had some time to digest and watch some scenes over again, I'll say I'm good with most of it. I do agree with Scott that the Caprica scenes were just painful, but they did have one great payoff with Farmer Baltar.

That leads me to my one really major complaint, though, which has got to be Lee and his dad. Look, the father-son dynamic is done to death (just look at Lost, where every single character has a completely ****ed-up relationship with their father). But this was painful.

Baltar reaches an understanding with his father, which as great as it was, he didn't really earn. Lee, on the other hand, has fought for his father's love and respect every single episode, every single scene since day one. And what does it get him:

--------------
Lee (tears streaming down his face, voice breaking): Dad?

Bill: I don't have much time son.

(quick hug)

Lee (defeated): You know, the very earliest memory I have of my father is him flying off in a big plane...(thoughtful pause)... and wondering when he was coming back. He's not coming back this time.

Kara: No, he's not. Neither am I.

---------

Seriously? Seriously!? WTF!!! Look, Lee's never been my favorite character, not even close. But what are we to take from this? That Lee's strong enough to accept that he'll never be important to his father and he'll never get the love of his life? But hey, he'll have tons of fun climbing mountains. He might even happen across his father's cabin one day. Where, surely, he'll be invited in for tea, then shown the door because dear old dad needs to get back to talking to Roslin's grave. :loser2:

/***** session

count55
03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Well, everybody died, but not in the horribly gruesome way I hoped.

It was a decent-to-good show that took itself too seriously. I'm glad I watched, but I don't feel the need to see it again.

It did a decent job of wrapping everything up.

I looked at IMDB for Caprica, because I was going to find it irritating if they were just starting up another "Earth 2." It appears that it's a prequel, set about 50 years before BSG. It doesn't look particularly promising, but it does have Jane Espenson, one of my favorite writers from Buffy/Angel.

CableKC
03-22-2009, 02:43 AM
After digesting the show for a couple of hours..... I was thinking that they could have editted the final 3-4 episodes a little bit better by splicing all of the "Pre-Nuke Caprica" flashbacks and sticking them into the 3rd ( or is it 4th? ) to last episode where Adama was crying about giving up the ship. This way, they could have had all the "charecter" development stuff in ( what could be considered ) the last "filler" episode before the huge finale. All this "volunteer by crossing the red line" could have been the end of the last show before the 2 hour finale to the final battle with about 30 minutes showing them splitting up and going their own ways......instead of 1 full hour ( sprinkled here and there over the ending episode ) of showing Roslin banging her student then deciding to join the Aldar's campaign, Lee about to bang Kara next to a alcohol-induced coma Zak and seeing Edward James-Olmos throwing up after leaving a Strip club with Tigh. I understand why Moore wrote it this way...cuz he has always said that the show is about the "charecters" and not the "story".

Reading some of the discussions on the BSG forums did offer some interesting insights that I didn't think of when watching the final run of the show. Cavil being so un-Cavil like and deciding to change his mind so easily based off of some rather poorly written dribble by Baltar? 39k tired and weary humans deciding to turn their backs on technology and reverting back to a "hunter-gatherer" lifestyle? Some of it just seemed to simplistic if not unrealistic.

But as a Series finale, this is one of the best that I have ever seen.....at least compared to other Sci-Fi type Series finalies like ST:TNG, DS9, B5 or even X-Files......but I have to admit that although there were more negatives that are hard to ignore ( it suffered from the same problem that I had with the Dark Knight.....you keep on wondering when it was going to end )....there are more positives that made the show rivetting ( closure for all charecters, Baltar redeeming himself, the whole explanation of the whole Opera visions ). I loved that Moore decided to do the last minute cameo in the end by inserting himself into the last parting scene on modern day Earth.

BSG is the best TV Series ( if not shows ) that I have ever watched.....it ranks up there on my list above the 1st 4 seasons of "The West Wing" and "Bablyon 5" and the last couple of seasons of DS9. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm gonna do now on Friday nights.