PDA

View Full Version : NBA efficiency all stars. Guess who's #12 in the East?

Will Galen
01-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Just the fact ma'am, just the facts. According to NBA.com Troy Murphy is the 12th most efficient player in the Eastern conference. Ergo if you use efficiency to pick the all stars, Troy makes it in the East. Danny Starts.

After looking at this I think it would be a better way to pick an all star team than the present one. For one thing players couldn't complain about not making the team.

Actually I think I would take it a step further and just pick the top 24 players, then let the coaches alternate picking the players for their teams just like they do on the playground. The fans would then pick the starters from the two teams.

EAST
[1]LeBron James 30.24
[3]Dwayne Wade 27.21
[4]Dwight Howard 26.8
[6]Chris Bosh 25.15
[14]Danny Granger 22.78
[15]David Lee 22.67
[19]Kevin Garnett 21.84
[21]Antawn Jamison 21.7
[26]Vince Carter 20.36
[27]Devin Harris 20.26
[28]Andre Iguodala 20.02
[29]Troy Murphy 19.92

WEST
[2]Christ Paul 29.35
[5] Carlos Boozer 26.0
[7]Tim Duncan 25.07
[8]Dirk Nowitski 24.95
[9]Marcus Camby 24.49
[10] Kobe Bryant 24.3
[11]Al Jefferson 24.21
[12]Ming Yao 23.02
[13]Pau Gasol
[16]Amare Stoudemire 22.62
[17]Zach Randouph 22.6
[18]Andris Biedrins 22.43

Jose Slaughter
01-27-2009, 02:08 AM
[2]Christ Paul 29.35

I know Paul is good but is he really that good?

I only see 2 point guards too, Paul & Harris. Not sure this would work even thou I don't care for the current system.

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2009, 02:23 AM
As I recall this stat REALLY gives you a bump for rebounds.

A big problem with all current combo-stat systems is they end up with some odd position or stat bias. Guys are trying to filter that stuff out, but almost all studies end up with notes about adjustments because of these affects.

However, I gotta say that even though I already have been saying that Troy is better and cutting him some slack, he is REALLY better. I mean first I had to admit that despite his normally ugly DEF to OFF rebound ratio (which is insanely out of whack compared to most guys), he is getting plenty of tough rebounds. Chalk that up to being asked to play at the arc so much.

But in the last month or so I've noticed that his defense is greatly improved too. Since Quis went out Troy moved up to 2nd best guy on the team. And I'm a Foster nut and probably one of the most vocal against that darn GS deal. I still strongly say that Dun vs Jack is at best a wash and only because Dun had the best year of his career last year (that's what it took to even it up).

But Troy vs Harrington now? That's not even remotely close. I don't like Troy's deal, but at least he's starting to get into the ballpark of justifying it somewhat. He's not an AS force yet which is what it would take, but I don't feel robbed when I see his contract numbers anymore either. :)

I sincerely look forward to him being on the floor, sometimes over Foster and always over Rasho.

Trader Joe
01-27-2009, 02:32 AM
As I recall this stat REALLY gives you a bump for rebounds.

Makes sense considering there are only TWO backcourt players on the western conference's entire roster. (If you were to use this system.)

larry
01-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I never liked Murphy until this year. He may be our best deep threat.
He is great for this system w/ Ford & Granger being able to drive collapsing opposing D.
He is a good rebounder as well.

As for the system it works pretty good, but Camby over Kobe??
Like all stat formulas they are not as good as just using your own human judgment.

BKK
01-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Boozer All Start then??? :eek:

jhondog28
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
It looks as if Devin Harris would be the only point in the east team. Possibly the only guard if I saw that correctly.

Quis
01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
This has been up over 10 hours and still no anti-Murphy *****-fest from d_c??

WetBob
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
After looking at this I think it would be a better way to pick an all star team than the present one. For one thing players couldn't complain about not making the team.

Hahahaha, this is definitely the best way to pick an all star team.

Do you have an extra chromosome or two?

duke dynamite
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I've said all along, Murph is the man.

Shade
01-27-2009, 11:01 AM
[2]Christ Paul 29.35

This goes up there with "shot ****." :laugh:

NuffSaid
01-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I've felt that Murphy was a good enough player to really raise some eyebrows, but to really gain people's attention he'd have to become more aggressive and start attacking the basket more, as well as show some defensive capability. He ended last season playing really well. I think that was because he finally accepted that JO wasn't going to be there and none of the other Bigs were capable. So, he began to embrace his role more and accepted JOB's challenge to play with alittle more fire.

This year, he knows the PF position is his! And he's taken it on fully. I'd still like to see him play under the rim more, but so far I'm not disappoint w/him one bit. He seems to do alittle better in every game, but the one thing you can count on from him now is consistency. He's not quite putting up All-Star numbers...least not in a way that would really get the NBA fan's attention, but he is performing quite well this year.

Shade
01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I think Murphy is about as good right now as he's going to get. He's not a bad player, but on a team full of defensive liabilities, he's not a good fit.

Major Cold
01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Efficiency ratings is the player ratings as power rankings are to team ratings.

They all suck.

naptownmenace
01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
But in the last month or so I've noticed that his defense is greatly improved too. Since Quis went out Troy moved up to 2nd best guy on the team. And I'm a Foster nut and probably one of the most vocal against that darn GS deal. I still strongly say that Dun vs Jack is at best a wash and only because Dun had the best year of his career last year (that's what it took to even it up).

I haven't noticed this improvement in defense. He's still a liability if we're playing against a team with a good scoring PF/C. Need some recent examples? The game against the Lakers, Pau Gasol. The game against the Pistons, Rasheed Wallace. The game against Houston, Luis Scola.

There are many more examples. I like how he's been rebounding the basketball and he's always been good offensively, but he's still a below average defender, IMO.

But Troy vs Harrington now? That's not even remotely close. I don't like Troy's deal, but at least he's starting to get into the ballpark of justifying it somewhat. He's not an AS force yet which is what it would take, but I don't feel robbed when I see his contract numbers anymore either. :)

I sincerely look forward to him being on the floor, sometimes over Foster and always over Rasho.

I pretty much agree although Rasho and Foster are better defenders. I'd much rather he be out there on the floor at the end of the game than Rasho. However, I'd like to see more of him and Rasho on the floor at the same time at the end of games.

YoSoyIndy
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Efficiency ratings is the player ratings as power rankings are to team ratings.

They all suck.

The difference is efficiency ratings are based on quantitative analysis while the majority of power rankings are based on one's opinion.

There's definitely value to it. Cuban has proved it with bringing on WINVAL. You shouldn't rely on it, but data can assist the decision-making process.