PDA

View Full Version : Celtics called Miller

plutarch
01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Former NBA shooting guard Reggie Miller admitted earlier today on the Dan Patrick show that he received calls from both the Celtics and Cavaliers earlier this season asking if he would be interested in playing. It was the second inquiry in the last two years that the Celtics have made into the availability of Miller's services.

Miller contemplated joining the Celtics before last season's championship run but ultimately decided to stay in the broadcast booth.

link http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/01/celtics_called.html
Posted by Gary Dzen, Boston.com Staff

CableKC
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Not that he isn't still capable of playing at a high level.....but are the Celtics that desperate for a shooter that they would be willing to call up Reggie?

grace
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Not that he isn't still capable of playing at a high level.....but are the Celtics that desperate for a shooter that they would be willing to call up Reggie?

I'd say desperation is even considering taking Starbury.

CableKC
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd say desperation is even considering taking Starbury.
Ahh...I got it....they're over the Luxury Tax and they want the best talent available...for cheap.

YoSoyIndy
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Reggie deserves some credit for not coming back (yet). It's gotta be hard, especially when championship teams are reaching out to you.

heywoode
01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree with that! Kudos to Reggie for resisting the urge. It's one thing to get the urge and shop yourself. Quite another to be getting calls from GOOD teams and having the possibility of playing a role and collecting the ring you never got.

Class act, I tell you. CLASS ACT.

Pacers#1Fan
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm glad he didn't accept. Factor in the money and the ring being wafted in in front of him and that is a big "No thanks."

I know it's his decision but I would have been a little hurt if he came back with another team.

Lord Helmet
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
I agree with that! Kudos to Reggie for resisting the urge. It's one thing to get the urge and shop yourself. Quite another to be getting calls from GOOD teams and having the possibility of playing a role and collecting the ring you never got.

Class act, I tell you. CLASS ACT.
Not trying to take anything away from Reggie, but he was very close to returning, if I'm not mistaken, the only thing that was the deciding factor was that he didn't want to put his body through the grinds of another 80+ game season.

indygeezer
01-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Reggie said it, but where's the link? I mean we demand proof for everything, how do we know they really called him?

:devil:

larry
01-27-2009, 02:54 AM
If he wanted to play that would be his call.
He gave us many great years, but we don't own him.
It would be cool to see him play even for the Cavs.
Not if we were to see them in the Playoffs though.
Celtics could be 1 & us 8 as well.
Those are the 2 teams we are the most likely to face if we are good enough to get in

Major Cold
01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
I say if he didn't want to do it last year when there was more certainty (meaning the East was weaker). Then why bother calling him this year?

grace
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I say if he didn't want to do it last year when there was more certainty (meaning the East was weaker). Then why bother calling him this year?

Because they think he's desperate for a ring.

pizza guy
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't remember what I posted on this topic last year when the C's made the call, so I may be contradicting myself right now. I know I'll be in the minority on this one, but I wouldn't mind seeing Reggie come back and win a ring. He gave us everything he had to give and doesn't owe us a thing. The game owes him. He deserves the final piece of a Hall of Fame career, and that is a ring. Even if it's on a team where he's far from the first option.

If he did come back as a Celtic, I'd cheer for him as if he was still a Pacer, because he always will be.

It's like the Super Bowl this year. Edge left the Colts for a paycheck and warm weather, but he never got a ring here. Everyone has their opinion on the guy, but I'd like to see him win a ring. So, come Sunday, I'll be a Cardinals fan. I imagine it'd be the same for Reggie. Strange to see him in a different jersey, but he's still Reggie.

--pizza

YoSoyIndy
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't remember what I posted on this topic last year when the C's made the call, so I may be contradicting myself right now. I know I'll be in the minority on this one, but I wouldn't mind seeing Reggie come back and win a ring. He gave us everything he had to give and doesn't owe us a thing. The game owes him. He deserves the final piece of a Hall of Fame career, and that is a ring. Even if it's on a team where he's far from the first option.

If he did come back as a Celtic, I'd cheer for him as if he was still a Pacer, because he always will be.

It's like the Super Bowl this year. Edge left the Colts for a paycheck and warm weather, but he never got a ring here. Everyone has their opinion on the guy, but I'd like to see him win a ring. So, come Sunday, I'll be a Cardinals fan. I imagine it'd be the same for Reggie. Strange to see him in a different jersey, but he's still Reggie.

--pizza

Edge didn't leave for a paycheck. He left because the Colts wouldn't pay him his worth. They didn't even attempt to negotiate with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Regg get a ring, but it is completely different than Edge. The Pacers would take Reggie back today -- the Colts had and still have no interest in Edge (or Lamey, Bill Brooks, and eveyone else they fired this week using the economy as an excuse when they really just wanted to cut heads -- sorry about the Colts tangent... just surprised no media has said anything.).