PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger is a platypus

Sollozzo
01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
This is a great read from a blog. Sorry if it's already been posted.

http://www.nbamate.com/2009/01/09/what-is-danny-granger/

What is Danny Granger?
January 9th, 2009, Author: robd

There is a natural tendency for NBA fans and media to categorize players into certain molds to help better understand what they are and what they’re trying to do. To translate an unknown quantity into something a little more familiar. You only need to look at a scout report for any young player and you’ll undoubtedly find mention of their basketball forefather. You can spend hours reading about his skills, his tendencies, his career highlights. But a one-liner like “he’s the next Dwyane Wade” is all you really need to conceptualize him.

Herein lies my problem. I cannot conceptualize Danny Granger. I have trouble quantifying him. He doesn’t want to fit in any of the molds. What the hell is Danny Granger?

“I’m in awe right now, but it’s important not to be a spectator when he gets the ball.
Down the clock, I’m not worried when the ball is in his hands.”

I have seen Danny Granger play only six times in my life. Last season I watched every single Pacers-Pistons game (all four of them) and I distinctly remember my impression of him: this guy spends way too much time on the perimeter for someone who is 6-8 - how bout you go get a rebound! Antawn Jamison is pulling down twice as many boards as you! But I also distinctly remember my other impression of him. This guy is 6-8 and he moves like a cat. He’s like Josh Smith except you can’t leave him open on the perimeter, and he can cross you over. And he can run a fast break. The Pistons easily won all four of those games so I wasn’t too worried about Danny Granger, and I promptly forgot about him. Until recently.

There is always a premature scoring front runner at the start of an NBA season. Someone who’s average balloons way beyond what seems possible, but who ultimately reaches equilibrium and drifts off the charts. Remember when Flip Murray was a Top 10 scorer back in early December 2003 averaging 21 points per game? No, of course you don’t. No one does. And that’s what I thought would happen to Danny Granger this season. He came flying out of the gates scoring 33 in a season-opening loss to Detroit (another game I watched) and followed it up with five straight 20+ point games. Impressive, even if he was jacking up WAY too many threes. But then he started to slip. A few sub par games and some flu-like symptoms saw his scoring average dip a couple of points during a stretch where the Pacers lost five of six. It was happening. The Ronald Murray of 2008.

But then it didn’t, and he dropped 32 on Kobe and the Lakers (killer game) and went for three LONs in a row and one third of the way through the season Danny Granger is sitting amongst the top five scoring elite (along with The King, The Mamba, The Flash and The German) and will remain there until 2008-2009 plays itself out. Danny Granger is not the Flip Murray of 2008. He’s just one of the best scorers on the planet.

“He’s an incredible player. He’s turning out to be one of the
top players in the league. He’s a very difficult guard.”

If he wasn’t on your radar then you’re not alone (but if he was then I hate you and your fantasy team). A lot of people had high expectations for this guy - the words “future” and “all-star” were sometimes put next to each other in sentences to describe him. But I don’t think anyone thought he’d explode into a 25+ppg stat stuffer so soon, not on this Pacers team, not with so much more of his game to develop. And how bout that game?

He strokes the three-ball as well as any big in the league not named Rashard Lewis, except if you get out to him he can go around you and embarrass you. He’s not Rashard Lewis.

Defensively he’s extremely active - second in blocks per game amongst all small forwards behind Andrei Kirilenko. But AK-47 has never lead his team in scoring. He’s not Andrei Kirilenko.

He’s athletic enough to surprise you every now and then, but he’s not flashy and he’s not dunk-happy, which kinda reminds me of Paul Pierce. But then again The Truth never threw one down on Lebron’s head. He’s not Paul Pierce.

His game is by no means perfect, but when he improves his post-up game a little more he will command a truly awesome offensive arsenal. Kinda like Carmelo, but with a better three point shot. He’s not Carmelo Anthony.

What exactly is he? He’s been called the next Shawn Marion. The next Josh Howard. Some have even labeled him the next Scottie Pippen (that’s actually impossible, see “Scottie Pippen-type Player“). But he’s none of those. He’s not going to be the “next” anything. The mold hasn’t been set yet. There is only one thing Danny Granger reminds me of.

And that is a platypus.

The platypus fell down the evolutionary tree of biology and hit every branch on the way down. It is the Swiss army knife of animals. It is covered with fur, has webbed feet, a tail, a beak (with nostrils in it!), a poisonous venom spur and muscles that generate electric fields to locate their prey (I am not making this up). It looks like a beaver, a duck and a walrus all at the same time. It’s ****ing weird. But it’s also a biological miracle, a creature that simply has no peer. A creature that fits no mold.

Danny Granger is a platypus. Not in the “oh isn’t it furry and cute!” kinda way, but in the “you won’t find an animal that can swim, crawl, breath underwater, look cute and kill you at the same time” kinda way. I imagine most animals that swim past a platypus probably think “what the **** is that thing?” and have a little chuckle to themselves. Little do they know the platypus is going to come back to poison and electrocute them in a swift yet elegant move before strolling up onto the beach where no one can follow him. That is the Danny Granger way. Not everyone has heard of him, but underestimate him, taunt him, and he will damage you. Damage you in style.

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

After dumping 37 on the Suns yesterday to go with the miracle buzzer-beating shot, Pacers coach Jim O’Brien was perplexed. “If Danny Granger isn’t an All Star, then I don’t know what an All Star looks like”.

All Stars don’t look like Danny Granger, Jim. Nothing does.

Except maybe a platypus.

Alabama-Redneck
01-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Well, that is a different comparison. I kind of like it though.

He is one of a kind basketball player.

:cool:

Pacersfan46
01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
That's hilarious.

-- Steve --

BPump33
01-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm speechless.

duke dynamite
01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I liked it but who was the author quoting?

Putnam
01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Some have even labeled him the next Scottie Pippen.

Cue Naptime Seth:

Hicks
01-26-2009, 01:33 PM
That's great. We have a new nickname for Danny.

DGPR
01-26-2009, 01:34 PM
That was a pretty good read.

Justin Tyme
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
A platypus is a freak of nature. Danny doesn't resemble nor plays like a freak of nature. Terrible description to label Granger. Can you just hear Slick, Clark, Quinn, or Chris dub him with the nick name "the platypus" on the radio or tv? He'd be the laughing stock of the NBA. It's one thing to be mentioned as a bulldog like Jack has been, but a platypus for Granger! How embarrassing. The whole idea is plain repulsive.

Kid Minneapolis
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Good stuff.

spazzxb
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
We could call him the knife (Swiss Army)

tde3000
01-26-2009, 02:26 PM
awesome read.

RamBo_Lamar
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
A platypus is a freak of nature. Danny doesn't resemble nor plays like a freak of nature. Terrible description to label Granger. Can you just hear Slick, Clark, Quinn, or Chris dub him with the nick name "the platypus" on the radio or tv? He'd be the laughing stock of the NBA. It's one thing to be mentioned as a bulldog like Jack has been, but a platypus for Granger! How embarrassing. The whole idea is plain repulsive.

While I can't say I'm necessarily repulsed by calling DG a "platypus", I would
have to concur that it is kind of a silly comparison.

As far as the animal kingdom goes, I would personally rate a platypus as
being pretty wimpy compared to many other animals out there nearer the
top of the food chain.

As for the NBA, DG is far from wimpy, and getting much closer to the top
of the food chain than a platypus.

duke dynamite
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/granger_300_071207.jpg http://hawtaction.com/2008/06/23/platypus.jpg

Does this mean Danny is poisonous?

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Cue Naptime Seth:
Drat. Too late to the thread.

You take Pip, you give him a 3, you lower his assists/steals, you improve his blocks/rebounds. Pip was the SG version of an SF, Granger is the PF version...with the 3. That's about it.

However right now Danny bites on fakes and gets burned one on one that I don't ever recall seeing Pippen do. That's next summer's improvement I'm assuming. Then it will be complete.

If that looks like a Platypus to you then fine. Frankly the fangs that Dental Plan Dan was sporting vs Boston suggest something more carnivorous than that.

edit - well I didn't really know this part so maybe I spoke too soon

Little do they know the platypus is going to come back to poison and electrocute them in a swift yet elegant move

RamBo_Lamar
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Plus...

The author of that article failed to mention that a platypus is the world's only mammal
that lays eggs.

Definitely something DG has been distancing himself from being known for.

duke dynamite
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
The Platypus does not shock, it can only sense electric pulses. It's a shame, because if it could, Danny would know the force!

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I liked it but who was the author quoting?

“I’m in awe right now, but it’s important not to be a spectator when he gets the ball. Down the clock, I’m not worried when the ball is in his hands.”

I'm not sure about the other quotes, but this one is Roy Hibbert.

Putnam
01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Does this mean Danny is poisonous?

Danny is, and always will be "The Gift."

In German, the word "gift" means...poison.

So, even without the platypus thing, Yes, Granger is poison to the other teams, and the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long while.

duke dynamite
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM

So, even without the platypus thing, Yes, Granger is poison to the other teams.
So what you mean is that he is a gift to the other teams then?

Dece
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
So you take Pip, you change everything about his game, and then Danny's defense improves three times over... and THEN you kind of have a comparison. ::eyeroll::

D23
01-26-2009, 03:31 PM

So, even without the platypus thing, Yes, Granger is poison to the other teams, and the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long while.

I wholeheartedly agree with this nickname, and believe someone should campaign this to the Pacers PR folks :D It just works on so many levels... it was a "gift" to us, that he fell so far in the draft. He's obviously turning into a "gift" for the game of basketball. And apparently, he's poisonous to Dirk Nowitzki. Would anyone be opposed to trying to promote this nickname? I think it's awesome!

Coop
01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
I think a lot of people missed the boat on the platypus comparison. It's not necessarily saying they have qualities in common. The point of the comparison is that they are their own breed. There is no one else like Danny and you can't compare what he does to anyone else. He's unique, like the platypus.

Anyways, I like this quote..It reminds me of a certain past Pacer.

That is the Danny Granger way. Not everyone has heard of him, but underestimate him, taunt him, and he will damage you. Damage you in style.

Putnam
01-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with this nickname, and believe someone should campaign this to the Pacers PR folks :D It just works on so many levels... it was a "gift" to us, that he fell so far in the draft. He's obviously turning into a "gift" for the game of basketball. And apparently, he's poisonous to Dirk Nowitzki. Would anyone be opposed to trying to promote this nickname? I think it's awesome!

Agree to agree! But it has already made it to the list of nicknames on BothTeamsPlayedHard.net. What further glory is needed?

http://www.bothteamsplayedhard.net/nba-nicknames/

Hicks
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
You mess with Platypus, you get stung.

Platypus: By the time you think you know what the hell you're looking at, it's already too late.

MrSparko
01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
So what if it doesn't sound scary and hardcore? The dude plays guitar hero and is an engineering nerd. Platypus is hilarious, and personally I would love it if that became his name.

RamBo_Lamar
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
So what if it doesn't sound scary and hardcore? The dude plays guitar hero and is an engineering nerd. Platypus is hilarious, and personally I would love it if that became his name.

Ok, nickname Granger after a unique animal famous for laying eggs.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=laying+eggs

<table id="entries"><tbody><tr><td class="index">1. </td> <td class="word"> laying eggs </td> <td class="tools" id="tools_2106523">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td class="text" colspan="2"> Overall poor perfomance. Not meeting ones goals, screwing up, missing plays.
I was laying eggs out there on the court, missing all those shots.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Sure, that's just brilliant. :rolleyes:

Hicks
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Birds are known for ****ting on cars. I guess Chris Andersen needs something new.

avoidingtheclowns
01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Birds are known for ****ting on cars. I guess Chris Andersen needs something new.

actually that's how chris got the name

Since86
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Some of you are taking this waaaaaay too seriously.
:twocents:

It's a friggin nickname from a blogwriter. Lighten up.

Hicks
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM

:laugh:

duke dynamite
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
lmao

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
The Platypus does not shock, it can only sense electric pulses. It's a shame, because if it could, Danny would know the force!
That's not special. Anyone can do that. Go put a fork in a socket and try living like a platypus yourself. And frankly I can poison someone too. Maybe I'm a platypus.

naptownmenace
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM

That's the best nickname I've heard in a long time. Maybe since the "Rifleman" or "The Jet" (Kenny Smith not Jason Terry).

We need to send this to all the online NBA bloggers so they can start tagging him as "The Gift". Then it'll catch on and one night we'll hear Jalen Rose or Ahmad Rashad dub him that. That'll be soooooooooo cool. :cool:

MrSparko
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Ok, nickname Granger after a unique animal famous for laying eggs.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=laying+eggs

Sure, that's just brilliant. :rolleyes:

Kobe= Black Mamba Your point? I'd love to see someone make a statement that suddenly people feared Kobe less at clutch time because his nickname is known for laying eggs. :rolleyes:

Hicks
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm still taking credit for The Gift.

Justin Tyme
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
BOOM BABY! The platypus hits another one. The platypus electifys the crowd with his poisonous play.

count55
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
BOOM BABY! The platypus hits another one. The platypus electifys the crowd with his poisonous play.

That would make everything just ducky with me.

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2009, 05:33 PM
So you take Pip, you change everything about his game, and then Danny's defense improves three times over... and THEN you kind of have a comparison. ::eyeroll::
Long, boring statistical comparison was here, but frankly I think it ruined the flow of the thread because it wasn't the least bit fun. I grew to resent it and in time decided to kill it.

I wish I could say that it's dead, but like Jason Vorhees my Danny vs Pippen stat comparison and rant will rise again I'm sure. Or is it his mother? Hard to say. Might even be a clone at this point, it's tough to justify sequels after awhile.

Justin Tyme
01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
That would make everything just ducky with me.

I prefer Dr. Mallard being Ducky.

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Considering his drug history this probably isn't even a joke. I always thought it was because he was always flying "high" myself.

As for "the Gift", put me in the camp that always thought it was forced, corny and a bit lame. Maybe it's just too soon for me to deal with a nickname so pretentious for a guy that hasn't yet proven it. Maybe "the Gifted One does it again" as a headline 6 years from now after another playoff win will come off better.

Platypus OTOH is growing on me. :)

I like Hicks tag of "by the time you figure out what it is, it's too late". :D

But go to Duke's photo thread from the Rockets game, scroll down to the busted teeth photo I posted and prepare yourself for me to post a side-by-side with Count Chocula. Now there's a nickname. :cool::laugh:

He could pull a Reggie or Lebron but instead of talc he'd use chocolate powder (ala Quick) to dry his hands and then toss up in a chocolaty puff. He could then pull out his teeth repair (its probably not removable right now, but he could change that) and flash that fang smile at them. I also sense a "Got (Chocolate) Milk" tie-in. And cape sales at the PGS.

(edit - I notice that photos of Chocula that he's actually only got 2 middle teeth and nothing else, WTF?)

Hicks
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I think it should be Platypus, without "The" in front of it.

Roaming Gnome
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Platypus... No thanks! Try again.

RamBo_Lamar
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Kobe= Black Mamba Your point? I'd love to see someone make a statement that suddenly people feared Kobe less at clutch time because his nickname is known for laying eggs. :rolleyes:

Well first of all, there is nothing unusual about a black mamba or any other
cold blooded reptile laying eggs. Something is extremely unusual if a warm
blooded mammal does it.

Have you ever heard of a mother black mamba breast feeding her young?

Starting to get the point yet?

Sheesh!

jhondog28
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I think a lot of people missed the boat on the platypus comparison. It's not necessarily saying they have qualities in common. The point of the comparison is that they are their own breed. There is no one else like Danny and you can't compare what he does to anyone else. He's unique, like the platypus.

Anyways, I like this quote..It reminds me of a certain past Pacer.

Oh how about "The Breed" that kinda sounds cool

MyFavMartin
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
If we're talking about the force, how about Luke?

Will Galen
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm still taking credit for The Gift.

Yeah, but what happens when Danny 'lays an egg' . . . er screws up? :-o:-o

Then the other teams announcers and fans will say all sorts of things about him giving THEM a gift.

Personally I haven't heard a nickname I really like for him.

Sollozzo
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I love the name....it's so dead on.

MrSparko
01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Well first of all, there is nothing unusual about a black mamba or any other
cold blooded reptile laying eggs. Something is extremely unusual if a warm
blooded mammal does it.

Have you ever heard of a mother black mamba breast feeding her young?

Starting to get the point yet?

Sheesh!

What's wrong with having an unusual star player?

Kid Minneapolis
01-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Danny "Danger" Granger.

Pacers#1Fan
01-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Really fun read. I'm thinking that knee injury his senior year at New Mexico was the best thing that has ever happened to the Pacers. Maybe just good karma from trading away the pick that could have landed MJ.

BKK
01-27-2009, 05:06 AM
good read, I was like wtf?? going through it but that was funny and in the end made some sort of sense :D

BKK
01-27-2009, 05:21 AM
I'm surprised: reading BTPH nickname entry I did not find any nickname for Reggie though some comments mention some: Mr. 4th Quarter, Boom Baby or The Knick Killer...

did Reggie have an "official" nickname?

oh and lmao at: Half-Man, Half-A-Season - Vince Carter :laugh:

count55
01-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm surprised: reading BTPH nickname entry I did not find any nickname for Reggie though some comments mention some: Mr. 4th Quarter, Boom Baby or The Knick Killer...

did Reggie have an "official" nickname?

oh and lmao at: Half-Man, Half-A-Season - Vince Carter :laugh:

Early, early, early in his career, he was called "Hollywood." I even have a t-shirt that says "Reggie Miller, aka Hollywood," but I think that was more of a team nickname.

To most of the world, he was just "Reggie."

sweabs
01-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm with Since86 on this one...some people took this blog-entry way too seriously.

Major Cold
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I am a walrus!!!! Really why does he need another nickname. I prefer Danny Granger. Can't a name be marketable anymore?