PDA

View Full Version : Pacers vs. Bobcats postgame thread

pianoman
01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
YAAY! 2 IN A ROW! It's good we won this one! Good team effort tonight

Infinite MAN_force
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
The defense has been consistently better lately, there is still that occasional WTF? lapse where someone gets an easy backdoor cut or open three, but overall it has been much more effective.

We are getting better at holding leads, we seem to always let the other team get back in it but have gotten better at keeping composure and pulling it out. It would be nice to see the team take that next step and just learn to put a team away instead of letting them have a sniff every time.

Another solid game for Ford, he is a few dumb shots every game away from being pretty effective. He is making a stronger defensive effort lately.

BlueNGold
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
This was a huge victory if this team expects to go to the playoffs. The biggest concern though is once again the weak second half. The Pacers need to figure that out.

I would like to see the +/- for each individual player by quarter averaged out over the course of this season.

JBones19
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I'd like to see the +/- for each player pre and post mustache.

Kemo
01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd like to see the +/- for each player pre and post mustache.

+100 ftw

kester99
01-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Chicago loses.

We are 3 and a half out of the playoffs.

PacersRule
01-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I didn't get the chance to see the game tonight, so I could only look at the box score, but still...GREAT WIN!! That's two in a row! Good to see Danny Granger putting up some points, but what's up with Jarret Jack? I didn't watch the game so I might be wrong, but 3 AST and 2 TO in 23 minutes?

MyFavMartin
01-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Agreed that we had a weak 3rd. Seemed to start out well in the 4th.

Bad night shooting.

Okafor needs to hit his FTs and Charlotte really needs a better 3rd string PG or for Augustin to get healthy.

kester99
01-25-2009, 10:00 PM
He (Jack) didn't take the shots tonight. Missed early and was hesitant after that.

Howdy, Kurt!

NuffSaid
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
The defense has been consistently better lately, there is still that occasional WTF? lapse where someone gets an easy backdoor cut or open three, but overall it has been much more effective.

We are getting better at holding leads, we seem to always let the other team get back in it but have gotten better at keeping composure and pulling it out. It would be nice to see the team take that next step and just learn to put a team away instead of letting them have a sniff every time.

Another solid game for Ford, he is a few dumb shots every game away from being pretty effective. He is making a stronger defensive effort lately.
I agree with you 100% on all the highlights. Nothing more need be said. You nailed it, IMO.

pianoman
01-25-2009, 10:02 PM
when it comes to gametime, does anybody else stop and think, who could we trade for on that team?

duke dynamite
01-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Game ball is up.

Unclebuck
01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
The defense was pretty good tonight - fewer mistakes -

Anthem
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Okafor needs to hit his FTs and Charlotte really needs a better 3rd string PG
:jamaaltinsley:

:signit:

geetee
01-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I thought the defense on Wallace and the play of Baston and Graham off the bench really helped us tonight. I also liked that Ford was very active on defense.

croz24
01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
pretty big win considering how well the bobcats had been playing. it's unfortunate the game wasn't televised.

duke dynamite
01-25-2009, 10:23 PM
pretty big win considering how well the bobcats had been playing. it's unfortunate the game wasn't televised.
Yeah they what, won their last 5 of 6 before tonight.

Thank goodness for League Pass Free Preview.

Shade
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
My favorite part of the game was when Rasho had an open shot from about two feet away, and somehow managed to miss the entire rim.

My second favorite moment was when JOB picked up the tech for that no-call on Raja's clothesline. I thought Jim was gonna have to choke a ref.

And lastly, I enjoyed when Jack was bringing the ball up the court late in the game and I muttered "here comes a turnover" just before he proceeded to get trapped in a double on the baseline and traveled.

Oh, and the win was kinda nice, too. :-p

Shade
01-25-2009, 10:35 PM

This is the first time I've seen Charlotte play this season, and they looked awful.

croz24
01-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah they what, won their last 5 of 6 before tonight.

Thank goodness for League Pass Free Preview.

yup, 5 of 6 with wins against phoenix, detroit, and portland. the one loss was a 2 point loss to san antonio. earlier this month they also defeated boston. brown's got these guys playing well. they really need augustin to get healthy, but beating them like we did the game after defeating houston is pretty big for us imo. we didn't even suffer our customary 4th quarter collapse...

duke dynamite
01-25-2009, 10:42 PM
we didn't even suffer our customary 4th quarter collapse...
Which is a good sign.

Infinite MAN_force
01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah, I wasn't sleeping on Charlotte for the same reason I won't be sleeping on the wolves next week, who have been playing well also. Mostly against crap competition but they snuck some wins against Phoenix and New Orleans in there for good measure.

jeffg-body
01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
That does really suck that it wasn't televised. I resorted to watching the game track on NBA.com. 2 in a row, the staches are doing it.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-25-2009, 11:39 PM
It was a fun time, all six of us in attendance enjoyed it.

Pacersfan46
01-25-2009, 11:45 PM
It was a fun time, all six of us in attendance enjoyed it.

Yeah it uh ... looked pretty empty.

-- Steve --

Anthem
01-26-2009, 12:33 AM
we didn't even suffer our customary 4th quarter collapse...
Yes we did, it just wasn't a total collapse.

Croz being positive? What's next? :D

Peck
01-26-2009, 03:49 AM
I'll add a couple of thoughts here.

1. Notice this is the second game in a row where we have not reverted to small ball? Is there any chance that this may have something to do with the two wins?

2. He went 10 deep tonight and I have no problem with that really. It kind of sucks that Brandon is out of the rotation, actually it really sucks that all or our rookies are out of the rotation, but in this case I understand.

3. Maceo gave you 9 solid min. of basketball. He didn't do anything stat wise but he certainly plaid solid defense and he actually altered two shots that I think cause the Bobcats to miss. This is exactly what O'Brien needs to be doing with the back up big spots. If it's McBob or Maceo I don't really care but instead of making poor Granger slide over to the 4 again this is great.

4. While I am glad that Jim stood up for his player, that ref. was excessively kind to him. That type of action certainly could have warrented a quick exit from the game & I would not be suprised if the league office doesn't pay a polite visit to our coach.

5. Not nearly enough has been said about the sudden drastic and frankly dramatic improvement in Troy Murphy's defense. He all but negated Yao Ming on Friday and he was taking turns aggrivating Diaw and Okafor last night.

6. Foster did a very good job of helping contain Omeka and his 10 offensive rebounds can not be understated.

7. I know Jack is not happy about this, at least I am guessing he is not, but him playing 23 min. a game makes much much more since to me than him playing 40. There is nothing wrong with occasionally using him at the two spot, but we had Daniels and Dunleavy who can play the spot and the less time that Granger has to play against other powere forwards the better.

8. How wonderfull is it to have a player like Granger that I can say he had a sub par game and he still had 27? BTW, Danny is in a little slump, but what you saw last night was Larry Brown defense in action on him. Notice how fast the other wing player would rotate over to Danny whenever the ball would go his way?

9. I can actually say that this is one game that I had zero complaints with anything the coaching staff did. Again I am not thrilled that our rookies will now probably only play spot min. the rest of the way but if we can make a legit playoff run, and with the schedule there really looks like there is a small chance to do it (Redd going out for the year, the Bobcats starting a w.c. swing, Chicago tanking and Toronto hitting the skids all certainly help).

10. I hate the d@mn cold weather.

Will Galen
01-26-2009, 04:09 AM
[quote=Peck]I'll add a couple of thoughts here.

1. Notice this is the second game in a row where we have not reverted to small ball? Is there any chance that this may have something to do with the two wins?

I think the team just refocused when they got Dun back. Remember their defense picked up about the time he got back. Plus it helps to have Dun, Daniels, and Ford all healthy. For instance, the Pacers are giving up 101.2 points a game in the six games since giving up 120 to Utah. They’re 4-2 in those games.

2. He went 10 deep tonight and I have no problem with that really. It kind of sucks that Brandon is out of the rotation, actually it really sucks that all or our rookies are out of the rotation, but in this case I understand.

Hibbert missed last game because he knocked heads in practice with Daniels and got a concussion, and he missed last nights game because he has been held out of practice. And it's not like the rookies haven't had their chances.

What can I say . . . being from there I love hearing this! :cool:

Midcoasted
01-26-2009, 04:27 AM
I thought the defense on Wallace and the play of Baston and Graham off the bench really helped us tonight. I also liked that Ford was very active on defense.

Exactly. If were not going to see Roy at all then at least put Maceo in. He is our best post defender, well maybe Foster. Graham is looking like the better option right now but Rush will be in the future. Graham is impressing with with his defense and his agressive offensive play.

I'm glad the league pass was on for free tonight.

2minutes twowa
01-26-2009, 08:37 AM
My favorite part of the game was when Rasho had an open shot from about two feet away, and somehow managed to miss the entire rim.

My second favorite moment was when JOB picked up the tech for that no-call on Raja's clothesline. I thought Jim was gonna have to choke a ref.

And lastly, I enjoyed when Jack was bringing the ball up the court late in the game and I muttered "here comes a turnover" just before he proceeded to get trapped in a double on the baseline and traveled.

Oh, and the win was kinda nice, too. :-p

I also enjoyed Maceo passing up a wide open lay up to pass the ball out for a 3 point shot. After the 3 was missed, he had a little smile on his face cause the fans were letting him have it. I know the attendance was low, but Indiana fans know their basketball and we all let Maceo know what a bone headed play that was:)

2minutes twowa
01-26-2009, 08:41 AM
The defense looked great tonight. They were active and challenging almost every shot. Couple of blocks down the stretch by Foster and Granger were huge. Players of the game IMHO were Foster and Graham. Graham was hitting his shots during a time that everyone else couldn't buy one and Jeff's hustle on the boards paid dividends as well. Good team win.

Anthem
01-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I'll add a couple of thoughts here.

3. Maceo gave you 9 solid min. of basketball. He didn't do anything stat wise but he certainly plaid solid defense and he actually altered two shots that I think cause the Bobcats to miss. This is exactly what O'Brien needs to be doing with the back up big spots. If it's McBob or Maceo I don't really care but instead of making poor Granger slide over to the 4 again this is great.

4. While I am glad that Jim stood up for his player, that ref. was excessively kind to him. That type of action certainly could have warrented a quick exit from the game & I would not be suprised if the league office doesn't pay a polite visit to our coach.

5. Not nearly enough has been said about the sudden drastic and frankly dramatic improvement in Troy Murphy's defense. He all but negated Yao Ming on Friday and he was taking turns aggrivating Diaw and Okafor last night.

6. Foster did a very good job of helping contain Omeka and his 10 offensive rebounds can not be understated.

7. I know Jack is not happy about this, at least I am guessing he is not, but him playing 23 min. a game makes much much more since to me than him playing 40. There is nothing wrong with occasionally using him at the two spot, but we had Daniels and Dunleavy who can play the spot and the less time that Granger has to play against other powere forwards the better.

8. How wonderfull is it to have a player like Granger that I can say he had a sub par game and he still had 27? BTW, Danny is in a little slump, but what you saw last night was Larry Brown defense in action on him. Notice how fast the other wing player would rotate over to Danny whenever the ball would go his way?

9. I can actually say that this is one game that I had zero complaints with anything the coaching staff did. Again I am not thrilled that our rookies will now probably only play spot min. the rest of the way but if we can make a legit playoff run, and with the schedule there really looks like there is a small chance to do it (Redd going out for the year, the Bobcats starting a w.c. swing, Chicago tanking and Toronto hitting the skids all certainly help).

Peck, you know I'm not afraid to disagree with you but we're in perfect harmony on this one. Ten for ten.

duke dynamite
01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Mike's defense isn't too shabby, either.

ABADays
01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Does anyone happen to know what our record is since Dunleavy came back?

2minutes twowa
01-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Well, nba.com states that he's played in 10 games so far, which I think were all in a row. I don't remember him missing a game since his return. The Pacers are 5-5 in the last 10 games.

Unclebuck
01-26-2009, 10:16 AM
There were two or three defensive possessions late in the game in which I thought the pacers defense was just outstanding. I saw effort - and a ton of it and togetherness - that often times has been missing. I don't think you can overestimate the negative effect a missed defensive assignment has on the other 4 guys on the court - it is demorializing - much worse then any physical mistake.

Most of you are probably sick and tired of me praising Foster, but there was one play late where he helped pon the pick and roll and someohow still got back to the rim and blocked Okufor's shot - just a great play but Jeff

Tony Valente
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
... what's up with Jarret Jack? I didn't watch the game so I might be wrong, but 3 AST and 2 TO in 23 minutes?

Here's a better question: What's up with Chauncey Billups? I didn't watch his game either so I might be wrong, but 1 AST and 3 TOs in 31 minutes?

Brad8888
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
For whatever reason, the Bobcats looked flat and disinterested frequently. It almost felt to me like they have given up on their season, which I realize doesn't match their recent efforts when they have actually been winning games. I also was surprised that they did not really try to take advantage of our interior more.

All in all, though, any W is a good W, especially with very few in the building to provide any support to our guys. Around me, what few regular STH that normally show up did not, with the exception of one guy who chose not to use his club seats and went down to the lower level about 15 or 20 rows off the floor. I was really surprised at the overall lack of attendance in the club level. I don't think I have ever seen it quite that bad.

avoidingtheclowns
01-26-2009, 11:51 AM
3. Maceo gave you 9 solid min. of basketball. He didn't do anything stat wise but he certainly plaid solid defense and he actually altered two shots that I think cause the Bobcats to miss.

is plaid solid defense where you rotate off from man to man at 90 degree angles? i hope T-Bird covers this.

Justin Tyme
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I won't be sleeping on the wolves next week, who have been playing well also. Mostly against crap competition but they snuck some wins against Phoenix and New Orleans in there for good measure.

Since McHale started coaching the T-Woves, they have won something like 11 games. They could be playing themselves out of a nice lottery pick. They now have won 15 games, and have the best last 10 game results in the league at 8-2. Only the Lakers, Boston, and Philly have = records at 8-2.

Seth's boy, Kevin Love, is having a nice rookie season, and my man, Al Jefferson, is having an allstar type season. It should be an interesting game between them and the Pacers with a little bragging rights between ex-Celts teammates Bird and McHale.

OakMoses
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
This is the first time I've seen Charlotte play this season, and they looked awful.

I thought Charlotte played very good defense. They've got a bunch of long, athletic guys who can be really disruptive when they want to. They're offensively challenged because other than Felton, no one can create their own shot with any consistency. They don't have any triple-threat type players. They've got guys who can shoot (Morrison, Bell, Diaw) or guys who can drive (Wallace), but no one who can really do both. It makes them very easy to defend.

This was an ugly game that may have been the least entertaining Pacers game I've watched this season (other than the loss to the Spurs). Danny did well to score as much as he did because he was well-defended for most of the game by Wallace.

Other than Granger, Foster was our best player. He destroyed the Bobcats on the offensive boards and was very smart in using his fouls on Okafor. Even the obvious foul that went uncalled at the end of the game was a good foul. He also played some very good, very physical defense.

Ford played well. He destroyed Singletary so badly that Brown couldn't even play him when TJ was on the court. O'Brien clearly seemed to favor TJ over Jack last night, so I'd bet he'll be back in the starting lineup as soon as he's healthy.

Jack seems to have lost his fire on offense. I don't know why but he's playing very passively. It makes me wonder if JO'B's been riding him about the TO's so hard that he's afraid to make any sort of aggressive moves.

Even with Ford and Jack on the court, I have absolutely no feeling of comfort that we're not going to turn the ball over at the end of close games.

Dunleavy is still not quite right, but this could have just been a poor matchup for him against a bunch of guys who are better athletes than basketball players.

I don't know why O'Brien insists on playing Graham and Baston.

This game was officiated very strangely. There were a number of decently hard shooting fouls that went uncalled, and a number of ticky-tack loose ball/rebounding fouls that were called. There were also a number of calls that were literally called 6 or 7 seconds after the infraction.

Putnam
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
is plaid solid defense where you rotate off from man to man at 90 degree angles? i hope T-Bird covers this.

I envy you. It's much cooler sniping at people for their funny-punny misspelling than for their misuse of punctuation marks.

And while I'm posting . . . that was a good game!

CableKC
01-26-2009, 01:08 PM
How did Marquis look out there?

He played 21 minutes and put up a solid line of 11pts/6reb/1ast/3stl/1blk on 3-8 shooting with 5 trips to the FT line.....not too shabby.

I'm hoping that he can keep this up.....it looks like with Marquis/Graham/Dunleavy taking up the majority of the SG minutes....there isn't as much of a need for Jack to play some backup SG minutes as much....which ( I guess ) could translate into less sharing of floor time between "Thunder and Lightning".

As Peck eluded to.......which has also been brought up in another thread....we're heading into the ASB with a 10-game stretch where 7 of those will be at home. If we could win at least 5 of those games with a healthy lineup, it could give us a solid boost of confidence going into the end of the season.

BillS
01-26-2009, 01:33 PM
3. Maceo gave you 9 solid min. of basketball. He didn't do anything stat wise but he certainly plaid solid defense and he actually altered two shots that I think cause the Bobcats to miss.

I don't think it is possible to have both plaid and solid defense at the same time.

Though if Maceo were finally to crack into the tartan lineup... :zip:

croz24
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM

5-5

Hicks
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
It'll be interesting to me if the team goes .500 ball the rest of the year with everyone healthy. I figured before the season started they'd go 41-41.

Midcoasted
01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
For whatever reason, the Bobcats looked flat and disinterested frequently. It almost felt to me like they have given up on their season, which I realize doesn't match their recent efforts when they have actually been winning games. I also was surprised that they did not really try to take advantage of our interior more.

All in all, though, any W is a good W, especially with very few in the building to provide any support to our guys. Around me, what few regular STH that normally show up did not, with the exception of one guy who chose not to use his club seats and went down to the lower level about 15 or 20 rows off the floor. I was really surprised at the overall lack of attendance in the club level. I don't think I have ever seen it quite that bad.

So how do they calculate 10000+ attendance? How many tickets they sold?

Putnam
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
So how do they calculate 10000+ attendance? How many tickets they sold?

That is right. It is always based on tickets sold rather than a count at the door.

MyFavMartin
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Since McHale started coaching the T-Woves, they have won something like 11 games. They could be playing themselves out of a nice lottery pick. They now have won 15 games, and have the best last 10 game results in the league at 8-2. Only the Lakers, Boston, and Philly have = records at 8-2.

Seth's boy, Kevin Love, is having a nice rookie season, and my man, Al Jefferson, is having an allstar type season. It should be an interesting game between them and the Pacers with a little bragging rights between ex-Celts teammates Bird and McHale.

The Wolves are in the West, which means they will be in the lottery.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Here's the thing I kept thinking about all last night. Why are there Sunday games scheduled at 7? Wouldn't it make more sense to start the game around 3, so everyone can get home at a decent hour? I didn't really care because I'm a college student and therefore immune to late nights because I can take naps, but I think that was a major contributor to low attendance.

Well that and the fact not many people want to come out to see the Bobcats. I didn't consider them a real NBA team until this season.

avoidingtheclowns
01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I envy you. It's much cooler sniping at people for their funny-punny misspelling than for their misuse of punctuation marks.

don't worry putty... with a little bit of gratuitous snark and a lot of lower-case, you too can contribute as little to PD as i do.

And while I'm posting . . . that was a good game!

indeed.