PDA

View Full Version : We would be a dangerous playoff team...

BleedBlue
01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't post on here at all, but I wanted to start a discussion on this. I know people here are on the lottery side rather than getting "swept" in the first round. But do any of you think we wouldn't be a dangerous playoff team? Who would really want to play us? I'm not suggesting that we can beat one of the perinnial East teams in a seven-game series but my point is this... we compete in almost every game no matter who the opponent, and that gives us a CHANCE. If the luck is on our side for a few games... anything can happen. We've just gotta get there first! If we make the playoffs, I'll be really excited to see what happens.

Pacersfan46
01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
We would be playing Cleveland, Boston or Orlando. I give us 0% chance against any of those teams.

It would be the biggest shock in NBA history if we won a playoff series this year.

-- Steve --

Brad8888
01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
With the more physical nature of the playoffs, even if we made it we could not win a series against either Cleveland or Orlando. If age catches up with Boston, we might keep the series closer than some would believe, but we probably would not be able to overcome the likely officiating obstacles that invariably seem to come up in favor of the favorites come playoff time.

Spirit
01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I could see us beating Orlando or Boston, but not Cleveland.

BRushWithDeath
01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
We might win a game. The idea of winning a seven game series is crazy.

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 12:29 PM
They may compete in the 1st game, but after that, Rasho,Murphy and the rest of the older guys won't be able to run up and down. We seen that happening already and is not even the playoffs.

They won't be a dangerous team because they won't make it to the playoffs, for the pacers to get to the playoffs they need to have a better record than the 76ers,Heat, Bucks,Nets and I don't think that would happen

MiaDragon
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
We would be playing Cleveland, Boston or Orlando. I give us 0% chance against any of those teams.

It would be the biggest shock in NBA history if we won a playoff game this year.

-- Steve --

FYP.

BlueNGold
01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
There are 6 other teams vying for the 8th spot...and we are behind all of them in the standings. All it takes is for one of those 6 teams to make a strong run and it becomes much more difficult. We must go on a run during the next 4-6 weeks or it will be time to play the rookies and forget about the playoffs.

All things considered, there is nothing particularly scary about facing the Pacers. I know I'd rather face the Pacers than NJ in fact...which is one of the teams competing for that 8th spot.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I think a playoff spot is possible, and I think our schedule favors us, but with that said it's a steep climb. I think if we get in the playoffs though, we could shock the world, even if that's only forcing a series 6 or 7 games.

Infinite MAN_force
01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I know everyone feels the need to shoot this down because "teh pacers suxorz!" but if you look at a team like Boston and the way we have played them this year, I bet they want no part of us in the first round. Not because we really stand any chance of winning the series, but we could give them a pretty good scare. Hell, this team competes with EVERYONE. Good and bad.

Pacersfan46
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I could see us beating Orlando or Boston, but not Cleveland.

That's crazy.

-- Steve --

Bball
01-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Teams tend to find another gear in the playoffs. That gear is usually 'defense'. Since we don't play defense and rely exclusively on our offense, my best guess is we'd be totally shutdown. We'd be worn out by halftime trying to run and gun in the face of a team prepared to stop it as well as take advantage of us not playing any defense. In the playoffs teams can gameplan for you. Even if we ourselves picked our defense up it would by that point be at the expense of our offense.... which would already be suspect with a well-prepared opponent ready to defend it.

So, with that said I'm sure some teams would consider us dangerous in the playoffs. Unfortunately the team that does that would be the second round team playing real series knowing they will face a well-rested opponent who dispatched the Pacers in 4 games.

rm1369
01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
They'd be lucky to win one game. This teams style is not condusive to winning in the playoffs. The lack of defense will be even more apparent than it is now. Other teams defense will become even more intense and physical. I think we will struggle offensively without any post scoring or reliable PG play. I think TJ in particular will struggle with the additional physicality. KG and D. Howard will be huge matchup problems defensively for our front court ...... and Clevland has Lebron.

I don't see the advantage of making the playoffs this year as a below .500 team. If this was a young, talented group just needing experience I could see the value. They just are not that young (not the players playing) and not that talented. They are not "playoff expereince" away from putting it together. They need talent first.

Roy Munson
01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Who would really want to play us?

Every EC team that makes the playoffs.

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 02:26 PM
They'd be lucky to win one game. This teams style is not condusive to winning in the playoffs. The lack of defense will be even more apparent than it is now. Other teams defense will become even more intense and physical. I think we will struggle offensively without any post scoring or reliable PG play. I think TJ in particular will struggle with the additional physicality. KG and D. Howard will be huge matchup problems defensively for our front court ...... and Clevland has Lebron.

I don't see the advantage of making the playoffs this year as a below .500 team. If this was a young, talented group just needing experience I could see the value. They just are not that young (not the players playing) and not that talented. They are not "playoff expereince" away from putting it together. They need talent first.

I been saying this for months and I get kill every time I said this. The pacers are not that young. Playoffs experience for who? Rasho? Marquis? Foster? they need to trade this guys and let the rookies play. Think about the future not about the present.

Spirit
01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
That's crazy.

-- Steve --
Boston has been inconsistent this season, are old, and none of their players can carry them offensively anymore. Orlando doesn't have anyone that can creat points on a consistent basis. Howard gets his dunlks and Turk and Lewis get their points but none of them can do it on their own, I see Orlando as a great regular season team that won't do much in the playoffs.

maragin
01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
If we win out I think we could do well in the playoffs. Outside of that, I'm skeptical.

BobbyMac
01-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I rather agree. We've been in almost every game this year...all it takes in the playoffs is for the P's to hit a few shots or for the other team to miss some of those wild 3 pointers like Paul hit and we could win....remember in 2000 Milwaukee took the Pacers to 7 games and a last second shot.

NuffSaid
01-25-2009, 02:51 PM
The first hurtle is getting a good 7 to 11 game winning streak going which IS possible at this point in their schedule. Beginning today and going on through February 25, the Pacers will play 17 games. Among them, they'll face five teams at or above .500: Magic (X2), Cleveland, Celtics, Heat and 76ers. Of these five teams, only three truly poses a real problem for them: Magic (X2), Cleveland, Celtics. If they can move up the ranks by going 12-5, they could find themselve as high as the 6th seed if things go their way. After February 25, their schedule gets easier but they'll still face a tough matchup here or there. Still, I like their chances of getting into the playoff hunt. They'll just have to keep playing as tough as they've been playing and hopefully they'll turn the corner and earn a playoff spot outright. I like their odds which are very good as long as they stay healthy and use their depth to their advantage.

The Heat have a rather easy schedule the rest of the way. Most of their games are at home against EC teams.

The 76ers have it tough beginning late February where most of their games will be on the road.

The Bucks will play many games at home the rest of the way, but they'll also face at least 19 teams that are at or above .500 and those games are spread out throughout the rest of their schedule. I doubt they'll move up in the standings; it's very likely the Bucks will fall...maybe even out of the playoff picture all together.

The Nets are hit or miss. March will be a tough month for them. Not only do they play 9 games on the road, they'll also face 9 teams above .500 and at least 6 WC teams - 4 of which are above .500. They may not sniff the post season and if not March will be the reason why.

The Bobcats...poor Bobcats...24 road games, 15 at home...several back-to-back games...things don't look good for this team at all the rest of the way. But they made a decent trade that now focuses more on interior defense. They could pull off a few surprises, but I doubt they'll move into the playoff picture; their schedule from here on out is just too tough, IMO.

The Knicks could move up, but it's going to be difficult mostly because they have 3 sets of road games (3 games minimum). The teams they will face in early February/late March will challenge them. I doubt they have what it takes to steal enough of those games to move up the ranks.

The Bulls, starting today, begin a 7-game road trip. Their playoff hopes may very much hinge on what they do during this period and through February. After that, their schedule does get lighter, but they still face a few +.500 teams the rest of the way. It's likely they won't make the post season this year.

For the Raptors, February and early March will be tough for them. They'll play atleast 12 teams that are above .500. If they can go over .500 through mid-March, they have a chance to gain some ground the rest of the season because most of their remaining games from that point are against teams with losing records.

And that's my 2-cents worth. My boyz could get to the post season. They'll have to start tonight and earn their way in. Now, if they can get to the 6th seed, they'll likely face the Magic which is 50/50 in a 7-game series. If the Pistons continue to struggle or the Heat hit a rough spot and fall, there's an outside chance they could get the 5th seed. You just never know. Regardless, it's up to the Pacers to get it together and seize the moment the rest of the way.

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Boston has been inconsistent this season, are old, and none of their players can carry them offensively anymore. Orlando doesn't have anyone that can creat points on a consistent basis. Howard gets his dunlks and Turk and Lewis get their points but none of them can do it on their own, I see Orlando as a great regular season team that won't do much in the playoffs.

that's crazy...............:eek:
Boston is getting old? and none of their players can carry their team offensively anymore? .....
they are killing Dallas Right now. That is how is going to look like if the pacers make it to the 8th spot.

Bball
01-25-2009, 03:36 PM
The Bobcats...poor Bobcats...24 road games, 15 at home...several back-to-back games...things don't look good for this team at all the rest of the way. But they made a decent trade that now focuses more on interior defense. They could pull off a few surprises, but I doubt they'll move into the playoff picture; their schedule from here on out is just too tough, IMO.

Haven't the Bobcats been on a run of late? I was thinking I saw they'd won like 7 of 8 as of a couple of days ago. Not sure of their schedule to know who they beat, but I know I'd like to see the Pacers win 7 of 8 sometime this season.

EDIT: Bobcats have won 5 of 6 and 11 of last 18 games (as of Jan 24th).

-Bball

kester99
01-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Charlotte's had some good wins in the last 10...PHO, POR, BOS, MIL...all at home. Lost to Cavs and Sixers on the road. Beat DET and Wiz on the road.

NuffSaid
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Haven't the Bobcats been on a run of late? I was thinking I saw they'd won like 7 of 8 as of a couple of days ago. Not sure of their schedule to know who they beat, but I know I'd like to see the Pacers win 7 of 8 sometime this season.

EDIT: Bobcats have won 5 of 6 and 11 of last 18 games (as of Jan 24th).

-Bball
They've gotten better for sure. That trade will surely help make them better, but if you look at their schedule the rest of the way you'll see that it's difficult because so many of their remaining games are on the road beginning w/their game tonight against the Pacers. If we can win tonight, maybe this game will start the long win streak we all seek for them. Here's hoping.

flox
01-25-2009, 04:03 PM
We match up decently with the Celtics with our midrange scoring (Granger, Quis), and Orlando is the most likely to fall because they live and die on the three.

Even then we need to play above our level in those games to even have a chance of winning.

Pacersfan46
01-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Wow, I'd sure like to know what league you're watching because it certainly isn't the same one everyone else is. Seriously.

-- Steve --

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow, I'd sure like to know what league you're watching because it certainly isn't the same one everyone else is. Seriously.

-- Steve --

:laugh:

Big Smooth
01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
The Pacers would be dangerous if they could play a lick of defense but they do not. And our style of basketball will not translate favorably in the postseason. We might be able to steal one game......although I'm skeptical about that one.

That isn't to say making the playoffs has no value. With Granger stepping up his game, I'd love to see him get some postseason experience.

Big Smooth
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM

All that and the Celtics are 37-9 and the Magic are 33-10. lol

BleedBlue
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
As I said in my first post, I didn't think that we could beat a top team four times out of seven. HOWEVER, pushing one of those teams to six or seven games (which isn't totally out of the question) is exactly what the franchise needs to rejuvinate the fan base and get Conseco Fieldhouse back to what it once was. Remember Atlanta last year.. Golden State in 2007? I would kill to have that type of atmosphere again. Regardless of whether we win a playoff series or not, winning a few games would go a long way for a franchise in my opinion.

Will Galen
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
We were playing very good defense at the start of the year, so we are capable of it. And our offense keeps us in games against everyone. It wouldn't surprise me if we upset someone.

Kid Minneapolis
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Logic says that we wouldn't do well in the playoffs, but the Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl, so what do I know.

HeliumFear
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I really really REALLY doubt the Pacers could "Warrior" an elite team,but they can force close games,steal a game or two and wear a team down IMO.

Major Cold
01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I really really REALLY doubt the Pacers could "Warrior" an elite team,but they can force close games,steal a game or two and wear a team down IMO.

So "Hawk" a team? That would not help our team at all right?

Infinite MAN_force
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
As I said in my first post, I didn't think that we could beat a top team four times out of seven. HOWEVER, pushing one of those teams to six or seven games (which isn't totally out of the question) is exactly what the franchise needs to rejuvinate the fan base and get Conseco Fieldhouse back to what it once was. Remember Atlanta last year.. Golden State in 2007? I would kill to have that type of atmosphere again. Regardless of whether we win a playoff series or not, winning a few games would go a long way for a franchise in my opinion.

I think this is what all the "conventional wisdom" folks are missing here. People look and say LOL Pacers play no defense blabla Boston would destroy! but what has happened when we played them? We beat their brains in once, than got our brains beat in, than played a really tough overtime game at home. I mean, by that third game I don't think they were "overlooking" the pacers anymore, and if Pierce doesn't hit a ridiculous shot, we beat boston 2 out of 3. LA? Beat them the first time. Than what? Nearly beat them again, I mean I don't think they were overlooking us after the first time.

Than we struggle to beat crap teams... yes. The inconsistency has a big part to do with the crappy record, but there is no denying that we can consistently play with the elite teams in the NBA, because we have.

Winning a couple home games against an elite team like Boston in the playoffs would be huge for building a buzz for next season and getting the city behind the team again. It is very unlikely we could pull out a series, but just winning a few playoff games at this point would be a very big deal.

The team that has played the most close games of any other team in the NBA is getting better at closing them out, you know... if anyone has been paying attention.

Unclebuck
01-25-2009, 10:11 PM
When the Pacers were really good and playing inferior opponents in the first and maybe even second round - the teams that scared me were those that were really good offensively - especially when they had one great offensive player.

grace
01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
You've got to make the playoffs before you can beat anyone. Right now that's not looking very likely to happen.

Anthem
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
if you look at a team like Boston and the way we have played them this year, I bet they want no part of us in the first round.
Bwahaha! That's hilarious. Not the post itself, which is reasonable, but how closely it tracks to this:

A lot of times, one win is all you need to forget your troubles in the NBA. Two and you're rolling. Three, and it's, "Who dares to play us in the first round?"

DA is a man among men.

jeffg-body
01-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe next year this would be true, but this year we are still struggling to find roles for all of the new guys.

BleedBlue
01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Another thing... all of these down to the wire experiences would be huge for us in the playoffs... really gives us an advantage considering most playoff games are pretty close.

Sollozzo
01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
We obviously aren't winning any playoff series this year, but there is no doubt in my mind that we could give a Boston or Cleveland a couple of headaches if we actually did. I think we could actually win a game.

It would be great to get Danny some national exposure. The rest of the NBA world is going to be watching whatever series Boston or Cleveland is in, so it would be awesome if they got a first hand look at Granger tearing it up.

Phree Refill
01-26-2009, 09:39 AM
We obviously aren't winning any playoff series this year, but there is no doubt in my mind that we could give a Boston or Cleveland a couple of headaches if we actually did. I think we could actually win a game.

It would be great to get Danny some national exposure. The rest of the NBA world is going to be watching whatever series Boston or Cleveland is in, so it would be awesome if they got a first hand look at Granger tearing it up.

I agree 100%. Get Granger in the playoffs and he could possibly pull off some late game heroics and all the sudden he gets voted into the all-star game by the fans instead of a D-wade or dwight howard. If jermaine could get voted in by the fans for 3 years in a row then there is no reason granger can't.