PDA

View Full Version : Suns trying to find selves -- and might consider losing Stoudemire

MillerTime
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
By Ken Berger
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

The Phoenix Suns are reportedly considering trading Leandro Barbosa and could even entertain trading Amare Stoudemire, according to a source.

Stoudemire has an early-termination option after the 2009-10 season and, if he doesn't exercise it, would be an unrestricted free agent seeking a max deal in 2011.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11294057

MillerTime
01-24-2009, 07:09 PM
He would be a good option for us. I really dont see what Phx would want from us except Gragner who I wouldnt trade for Amare. But nevertheless, Amare would be a great fit in our uptempo offense

Major Cold
01-24-2009, 07:11 PM
It is not going to happen.

Hicks
01-24-2009, 07:50 PM
LINK?

MillerTime
01-24-2009, 07:57 PM
LINK?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11294057

Hicks
01-24-2009, 08:01 PM
thank you

MillerTime
01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
thank you

no prob :buddies:

vnzla81
01-24-2009, 09:13 PM
The suns want to win right now, if they are willing to trade Amare it has to be for an All Star caliber player, the Pacers don't have the pieces to make a deal this big work. They would have to send two 1st round picks, Dunleavy, Marquis and maybe one of the rookies for the suns to even consider a trade with Indiana.

GrangerRanger
01-24-2009, 09:14 PM
The suns want to win right now, if they are willing to trade Amare it has to be for an All Star caliber player, the Pacers don't have the pieces to make a deal this big work. They would have to send two 1st round picks, Dunleavy, Marquis and maybe one of the rookies for the suns to even consider a trade with Indiana.

Pull the trigger Larry.

Anthem
01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
We don't have the pieces, forget about it.

But I can't imagine who DOES have the pieces. You normally don't trade young stud PFs... asking price will be pretty high.

What would they move him for? Anybody have any ideas? I mean league-wide, not Pacers specifically.

vnzla81
01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
We don't have the pieces, forget about it.

But I can't imagine who DOES have the pieces. You normally don't trade young stud PFs... asking price will be pretty high.

What would they move him for? Anybody have any ideas? I mean league-wide, not Pacers specifically.

It could be close to the same package that the Celtics send to Minessota for KG. I would love to have him here, but like I said before the Suns want to win right now, so I am sure if they trade him they would want an All Star caliber player in return, I would think a team like Detroit could have the pieces to do this. Maybe sending RW and young players for him. Everybody in the NBA would want him.

Anthem
01-24-2009, 10:02 PM
the Suns want to win right now, so I am sure if they trade him they would want an All Star caliber player in return
Yeah, but that's what's weird. I get being willing to trade any player in order to get a better team. What I don't get is what player out there makes you a better team than the one with Amare. Rip/Tay for Amare? Sure, but Detroit's not going to do that. Nothing else makes them more of a threat this season.

DrBadd01
01-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I think that Utah could have the pieces. They could send Phoenix Boozer, Brewer, and draft picks ( they own the Knicks 2010 1st rounder with unconditionally)

vnzla81
01-24-2009, 11:09 PM
If I was the Suns I would try to trade Shaq instead of Amare, he is older and he is having a really good year, his value is high right now. They should try to get Iverson in exchange and start playing fast ball again. In the other side Detroit would get a monster inside and they could play their half court offense one more time.

MillerTime
01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
If I was the Suns I would try to trade Shaq instead of Amare, he is older and he is having a really good year, his value is high right now. They should try to get Iverson in exchange and start playing fast ball again. In the other side Detroit would get a monster inside and they could play their half court offense one more time.

Thats actually a really good trade. AI for Shaq would be great for both teams

MyFavMartin
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't see it.

Phoenix won't trade Amare. They're too good and ready for a playoff run. They can't rebuild because they have Shaq and Nash. The only thing to trade Amare for is another quality PF and some throw-in wing player. Minnesota and Al Jefferson and Mike Miller come to mind.

But I don't see it. Kevin McHale is too dumb and Amare won't go to Minnesota. Bad attitude in Minny. He would pout his way out of town.

Phoenix won't get better by trading Amare and Leandro.

Will Galen
01-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Amare has attitude problems. He's very very good, but not as good as he thinks he is. Basically he's one of those players that grew up getting a lot of attention and he doesn't like sharing it. He and Marion crashed, so the Suns got rid of Marion. Now Shaq's having a good year and he doesn't like that. Thus he pouts and does things like go 0-7 and score 3 points.

You need two or three stars that get along to win championships, thus the Suns have wised up and are looking to trade him, but they don't want to just give him away. If they don't trade him at the deadline I bet they offer him for the number one pick this year. I sure would.

YoSoyIndy
01-25-2009, 12:57 AM
It could be close to the same package that the Celtics send to Minessota for KG. I would love to have him here, but like I said before the Suns want to win right now, so I am sure if they trade him they would want an All Star caliber player in return, I would think a team like Detroit could have the pieces to do this. Maybe sending RW and young players for him. Everybody in the NBA would want him.

But the Celtics deal for KG was a huge steal at the time -- and still is. Minnesota was desperate. The Suns aren't desperate.

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
But the Celtics deal for KG was a huge steal at the time -- and still is. Minnesota was desperate. The Suns aren't desperate.

They are getting there, right now they are playing bad and they are one game out of the playoffs. Remember Nash is old and he is been complaining about the tempo this team is playing now, like I said before I think the best thing for them to do is to trade Shaq, get another coach maybe Mike D'antoni brother(he still there) and start playing up tempo like they used to.

PR07
01-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Not going to happen unless we want to trade Granger or get a Top 3 pick in the draft and trade it for him. Does make a lot of sense though, would be just the athletic low post presence we need.

duke dynamite
01-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Wow, just imagine having some big name talent, though.

xtacy
01-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Amare has attitude problems. He's very very good, but not as good as he thinks he is. Basically he's one of those players that grew up getting a lot of attention and he doesn't like sharing it. He and Marion crashed, so the Suns got rid of Marion. Now Shaq's having a good year and he doesn't like that. Thus he pouts and does things like go 0-7 and score 3 points.

agreed. it's not gonna happen and i don't want it to happen. the last thing i want on this team is a guy with attitude problems.

MillerTime
01-25-2009, 07:10 AM
I think the ONLY way we get him is it we trade Granger (which is out of the question) or we trade Dunleavy and Murphy which I wouldnt mind at all. Barbosa's name has been mentioned in a lot of trade rumors, im sure hes available also, I wouldnt mind getting him also, but if we got Amare and Barbosa, our defense would be just horrible. But Barbosa and Ford would be one of the fastest backcourts in the NBA

Aw Heck
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
On the latest B.S. Report podcast, Bill Simmons talked with J.A. Adande about this Amare stuff. Adande mentioned at one point that he thought the Pacers should try to make a move for him. Of course he didn't mention any trade scenarios that would work.

Eventually though, both Adande and Simmons agreed they'd like to see Toronto make a Bosh for Amare and Barbosa trade and an O'Neal for Marion swap to try to recreate the old Suns in Toronto.

While I'd like to see the Pacers make a move for him, we simply don't have the pieces to do so. I doubt Amare gets moved at all, but if he does, it will probably be something like the previously mentioned Bosh-Amare swap. Anything less than Bosh doesn't really make sense for Phoenix.

Justin Tyme
01-25-2009, 10:26 AM
If they don't trade him at the deadline I bet they offer him for the number one pick this year. I sure would.

Sure the team that has the #1 pick can offer it for Amare, but the Suns have to take back players from a lottery team to make the salaries work. Are these other players what the Suns want or need to rebuild with?

Then there is the team that has the #1 pick. In order to get Amare, they'd have to gut their team. What players would they have to play around him?

A team gives up the 1st pick and other players, what guarantee do they have Amare wants to play for a cellar dweller and would stay? That team then ends up with nothing.

It can happen as you say, I just believe the probability isn't that high of it happening. JMOAA

Pacerized
01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Portland would be the first team to come to mind that might have the pieces for Amare. They have a big expiring contract in LaFrentz, and some young talent that Pheonix might want. It would take Oden or Roy to get Amare though. I wonder if the Suns would be interested in bringing back Marion. Riley would mortgage his future for that trade.

Justin Tyme
01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Portland would be the first team to come to mind that might have the pieces for Amare. They have a big expiring contract in LaFrentz, and some young talent that Pheonix might want. It would take Oden or Roy to get Amare though. I wonder if the Suns would be interested in bringing back Marion. Riley would mortgage his future for that trade.

I agree that Portland has the pieces, but Portland isn't going to trade Roy or Oden for Amare. They are the future of Portland along with Aldridge as their PF. They have a nice young core in Roy, Oden, and Aldridge. They don't need Amare nor his attitude causing a possible chemistry problem.

Pacersfan46
01-25-2009, 12:18 PM
I would absolutely be in love if we found a way to make this happen, but I'm not counting on it. While I don't see that we have any pieces that Phoenix would want, we do have a lot of parts that other teams would want. I could see it happening in a 3 way deal, somehow. If you're Bird you MUST try to make this happen.

I would move any and all parts not including Granger to make it happen. Damn near any combination it took.

-- Steve --

YoSoyIndy
01-25-2009, 12:43 PM
They are getting there, right now they are playing bad and they are one game out of the playoffs. Remember Nash is old and he is been complaining about the tempo this team is playing now, like I said before I think the best thing for them to do is to trade Shaq, get another coach maybe Mike D'antoni brother(he still there) and start playing up tempo like they used to.

They're 9th in standing and nine games ahead of any other team. I don't think they're getting so desperate that they'd trade a young, great PF for great bench players.

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
They're 9th in standing and nine games ahead of any other team. I don't think they're getting so desperate that they'd trade a young, great PF for great bench players.

Like I said before I think the best for them is to trade Shaq for Iverson, Shaq would make the pistons better and Iverson would make the Suns even better. Then they have Barbosa in case they wanna make another trade either for a guard who can play D or a center, maybe Kamby.

2minutes twowa
01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Here's my thinking. Phoenix is one of a handful of franchises that attract big name free agents. If they think they have a chance to land one of the big fish in 2010, why wouldn't they want to trade Amare for Quis and Rasho? Here are the players that could be off the books for Phoenix by 2010 if they make this deal:

Rasho - $8,400,000
Quis - $7,350,000
Jared Dudley - $2,151,068
Alando Tucker - $1,934,455

Total - $19,835,523

I'm not saying it's going to happen or that it's even highly probable, but if the Phoenix mind set is to shed salary to pull a Boston type move, then we just might have exactly the pieces they're looking for. The only down side to this is that I don't think Amare would sign in Indiana for the long term. But like everyone has said before on this board, Indiana is not a free agent hot spot, so Larry should try to deal at least one of our expirings for a live body.

BPump33
01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Here's my thinking. Phoenix is one of a handful of franchises that attract big name free agents. If they think they have a chance to land one of the big fish in 2010, why wouldn't they want to trade Amare for Quis and Rasho? Here are the players that could be off the books for Phoenix by 2010 if they make this deal:

Rasho - $8,400,000
Quis - $7,350,000
Jared Dudley - $2,151,068
Alando Tucker - $1,934,455

Total - $19,835,523

I'm not saying it's going to happen or that it's even highly probable, but if the Phoenix mind set is to shed salary to pull a Boston type move, then we just might have exactly the pieces they're looking for. The only down side to this is that I don't think Amare would sign in Indiana for the long term. But like everyone has said before on this board, Indiana is not a free agent hot spot, so Larry should try to deal at least one of our expirings for a live body.

Like you said it's not highly probable, but it sure would bring a smile to my face. :D

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 01:26 PM
This is some info about Joe Dumars might thinking about trading Iverson. I know is Peter Vecsey but :-p

Peter Vecsey
NEW YORK POST
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Don't be surprised if Pistons president Joe Dumars trades A.I. before the Feb. 19 deadline, the same team executive e-mailed. "But only if he can get back a similar expiring contract."

Trader Joe
01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Which if that is true, pretty much confirms Iverson was just a salary dump.

able
01-25-2009, 03:08 PM
This is some info about Joe Dumars might thinking about trading Iverson. I know is Peter Vecsey but :-p

Peter Vecsey
NEW YORK POST
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Don't be surprised if Pistons president Joe Dumars trades A.I. before the Feb. 19 deadline, the same team executive e-mailed. "But only if he can get back a similar expiring contract."

OK I'm a gonna explain this once, and that should be it; The link you use here is worthless, as you can see, copyright is with PV and the NYP so please change link to original site and article, otherwise i have to remove.

vnzla81
01-25-2009, 03:12 PM
OK I'm a gonna explain this once, and that should be it; The link you use here is worthless, as you can see, copyright is with PV and the NYP so please change link to original site and article, otherwise i have to remove.

I got it

Peter Vecsey
New York Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252009/sports/moresports/no_answer_for_piston_failure_151908.htm

Doddage
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Which if that is true, pretty much confirms Iverson was just a salary dump.
I don't think that's true. If the Pistons were playing better, they probably wouldn't trade Iverson.

Will Galen
01-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Sure the team that has the #1 pick can offer it for Amare, but the Suns have to take back players from a lottery team to make the salaries work. Are these other players what the Suns want or need to rebuild with?

Then there is the team that has the #1 pick. In order to get Amare, they'd have to gut their team. What players would they have to play around him?

A team gives up the 1st pick and other players, what guarantee do they have Amare wants to play for a cellar dweller and would stay? That team then ends up with nothing.

It can happen as you say, I just believe the probability isn't that high of it happening. JMOAA

I think they would offer him for Blake Griffin or Ricky Rubio. Rubio would be a great replacement for an aging Nash.

As for Amare playing for a cellar dweller he would be the 'man,' he would probably love it.

Trader Joe
01-27-2009, 02:56 AM
I don't think that's true. If the Pistons were playing better, they probably wouldn't trade Iverson.

Like I've said for a while now, the idea that Stuckey, Iverson, and Rip was a solid decision to build a team around was lunacy from a personnel stand point. If you are going to move Billups it should have been for a big man, not for an aging combo guard with more miles on his odometer than pretty much anyone in the NBA not named SHaq.

Stuckey and Rip had your backcourt covered. Why trade for a guy that is going to supplant one of them? (God knows Iverson probably wouldn't like sitting on the bench.) Just makes zero sense. The trade was all about the salary implications. Which I still have to question Joe D about considering that I don't think there is a snowflake's chance in hell that a max contract free agent signs in Detroit with their economy fading like it is.

Major Cold
01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
KG and Porter would have been good together.