PDA

View Full Version : Laptop vs. Desktop

Stryder
01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm in the market for another desktop and a laptop, and that got me to thinking...

Why buy a desktop? Why not two laptops? Are there pros and cons to this discussion?

Any suggestions?

duke dynamite
01-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Last February, I bought an HP laptop and an HP desktop, and spent $1,000. Of course I've bought a new MacBook a couple of weeks ago, but you can't beat having both.

GO!!!!!
01-24-2009, 03:41 AM
I have both, love the work laptop for mobility, love the desktop for screen size and random installations and checking crap..

if you get can get a caddy stand that includes a moniter, keyboard and mouse, I'd go Laptop, best of both worlds then, depends what your after and how much you want to spend...

With my external HD's i can copy, view data at no hassle..

DisplacedKnick
01-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Last spring I bought a hp laptop and 25" screen. I'd always had desktops before and am glad I switched. Plus with buying the screen I got a laptop with a big processor but small screen which made a pretty fair price difference - almost paid for the screen. Also have wireless keyboard & mouse. I decided just to spend the extra $$$ on a good laptop rather than having both - the LT has plenty of horsepower and I don't have to worry about file sharing or setting up a LAN.

Stryder
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
My main concern is the clunkiness and wires of a traditional desktop. We are getting a laptop for my wife and I figured, if I get another laptop for me, it could double as a pseudo-desktop computer, when I'm not using it somewhere else, then all would be good.

Anyone have any concerns about using the laptop as a desktop?

Also, anyone have any experience with Dell Inspiron 1525/26? Or the Dell Studio 15?

Pacersfan46
01-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I prefer desktop by a mile. I'm prone to taking PC's apart and swapping parts, and improving performance or fixing what's not working. Much more difficult to do with a laptop.

Most of the time I think people get a laptop with the idea of it's advantages in mind, but never really take advantage of them enough to justify it to me personally.

That, and if you bought two items (desktop and laptop) for the same price, the hardware isn't going to be as good in the laptop. That irks me. Lesser hardware, higher difficulty in upgrading. Just adds up to no thanks for me.

-- Steve --

DisplacedKnick
01-24-2009, 11:58 AM
My main concern is the clunkiness and wires of a traditional desktop. We are getting a laptop for my wife and I figured, if I get another laptop for me, it could double as a pseudo-desktop computer, when I'm not using it somewhere else, then all would be good.

Anyone have any concerns about using the laptop as a desktop?

??? We use 'em that way in the office all the time, esp. for someone we hire through a grant or working on a special project - get 'em a laptop, wireless keyboard/mouse and monitor. Since they're on the road a lot of the time they can take their office with them. The one thing I've noticed is the laptops don't seem to last as long - it's not that they totally break down but processor speed seems to be slower at around 3 years or so than for a PC bought at the same time. Not sure why - we generally buy them with the same RAM/HD space.

count55
01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I like the laptop. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard and an office that I use somewhat, but I also like sitting in my bedroom or family room watching sports with the laptop/internet connection.

I am currently on my work laptop, and I'll use both at home.

However, my laptop is a Toshiba and it has a 17" diagonal Hi-def wide screen, with a full keyboard and separate number pad. With a couple of small exceptions, it's like having a regular keyboard, which is nice for numbers.

Shade
01-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I like the laptop. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard and an office that I use somewhat, but I also like sitting in my bedroom or family room watching sports with the laptop/internet connection.

I am currently on my work laptop, and I'll use both at home.

However, my laptop is a Toshiba and it has a 17" diagonal Hi-def wide screen, with a full keyboard and separate number pad. With a couple of small exceptions, it's like having a regular keyboard, which is nice for numbers.

:scream: :mob: :suicide2:

jeffg-body
01-26-2009, 12:35 AM
I like the lap top for work purposes myself because I am out in the community more often and can use it at each job site instead of hoping each place has a computer linked up to the system that I can use. At home I use the desk top though because I can type better on it.