PDA

View Full Version : Danny G getting some love (The Granger merged thread)

Speed
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
It's amazing to me how much that has changed in the last year.

I'll start with the givens.

Lebron
Kobe

Then the next tier of givens

Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Dwayne Wade
Chris Bosh

Who else or is this even correct?

What Amare Stoudamire? Deron Williams? Al Jefferson? for young guys.

What about Nash, Pierce, Garnett, Duncan for longer established guys?

Will Galen
01-21-2009, 03:55 PM
It's amazing to me how much that has changed in the last year.

I'll start with the givens.

Lebron
Kobe

Then the next tier of givens

Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Dwayne Wade

Who else or is this even correct?

You are right that those players are better than Danny, at least right now, but there's no one I would trade Danny for.

I've watched Danny grow going on four years now and that in itself is enjoyable. I want to see what he becomes. Plus him being my favorite would be like trading one of my children. Nope, I wouldn't trade him period.

I'd also put Garnett and Duncan on that list of players still better than him.

Roaming Gnome
01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I wonder how this thread will go after a few posters have their way in here....

As for the topic at hand.... I would have a hard time trading him right now for a guy that is older. This team is no where close to being able to use a superstar to get any usefulness out of him.

I just hope Danny isn't peaking while we don't have talent to stick around him.

Unclebuck
01-21-2009, 04:00 PM
I would not trade him for Bosh - never been that impressed by him. The others on your list look good. Might consider Deron Williams, Stoudamore. Nash, Pierce garnett, TD are too old - unless we were in a position to win now

Quis
01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Jeff Green.

idioteque
01-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Most definitely Deron Williams but I would push Utah for a little bit more.

I probably would not trade him for Amare. Definitely not Bosh. And no one significantly older, either.

Basically, I wouldn't trade Danny unless it brought back an elite, young PG. But PG is a much more important position than SF so no one is going to trade a Deron Williams type talent for Danny even though Danny is probably a better player, his position is less valued.

count55
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
A Klondike Bar

Spirit
01-21-2009, 04:37 PM
How is Kobe a given? He's 30 and is starting to slump. I wouldn't trade Danny for Kobe. The only players i'd trade Danny for are:

LeBron
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard

Raoul Duke
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Probably just Paul or Howard. I'd say Lebron but he'd be gone in 2010. I don't know if I'd trade him at all though. He's a great fit here.

dannygee33
01-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't wanna trade him, but if I did, i'd wanna get Dwight or CP3.

duke dynamite
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Jeff Green.

omg lmao w00t and any other kind of goofy Internet lingo you can throw in there.

RandyWrinkles
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Not considering contracts, I'd trade him for CP3, Howard, Kobe, LJ, and Amare. I'd also take a combination of Blazers for him such as Roy, Aldridge, Batum, Fernandez,or Oden (I've really enjoyed watching them this year and think they will be great in a few seasons). As for Kobe getting older and less productive, he can still help bring in a strong supporting cast.

I really think it is great that Danny signed his extension and made a long term commitment to the team. The fact that he wants to be here makes me want to keep him here over most superstars including any of the Celtics, Wade, D Williams, etc.

dohman
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I would trade him for amare right now.

That would give us the athletic big we are looking for. While moving Dun to SF and Quis to SG. That would improve our defense and offense at pf and sg while keeping close to the same output at SF.

What we would be losing is output from a 6th man. But over the next 2 seasons BRUSH will provide that.

WetBob
01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
Dwight Howard
D. Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Brandon Roy
Chris Bosh
Deron Williams
Kevin Durant
Yao
Carmelo
Pau Gasol
Devin Harris
Chauncey Billups
Al Jefferson

Dr. Awesome
01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't trade him for anybody. I couldn't see him on another team, he is now the face of the franchise we have needed since Reggie left. I'd stay loyal to Danny.

jeffg-body
01-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Nobody

vnzla81
01-21-2009, 08:36 PM
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
Dwight Howard
D. Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Brandon Roy
Chris Bosh
Deron Williams
Kevin Durant
Yao
Carmelo
Pau Gasol
Devin Harris
Chauncey Billups
Al Jefferson

Devin Harris? Chauncey Billups?:eek:

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Nobody

Seconded.

Pacersfan46
01-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Chris Paul. Lebron. Dwight Howard.

Probably about it.

-- Steve --

BRushWithDeath
01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Devin Harris? Chauncey Billups?:eek:

That wasn't even my post but I'd trade him for Devin Harris in a heartbeat. Chauncey Billups only if age were not a factor.

duke dynamite
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Danny is to remain a Pacer.

Pacers#1Fan
01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Dwight Howard
Lebron James

That's absolutely it

YoSoyIndy
01-21-2009, 10:02 PM
How is Kobe a given? He's 30 and is starting to slump. I wouldn't trade Danny for Kobe. The only players i'd trade Danny for are:

LeBron
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard

Kobe is the best player on the Olympic team. He has at least five great years left. Granger is not a guarantee to be a great player for the next five years as he hasn't proved himself to be a top player over one full season yet and has yet to be the best player on a winning team.

BRushWithDeath
01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Dwight Howard
Lebron James

That's absolutely it

Well my list is substantially longer but anyone leaving off Chris Paul is nuts. Those three are absolute musts.

But the list is moot.

Will Galen
01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know why you guys are complaining about someone elses list, it's a personal list of who they would trade Danny for.

MillerTime
01-21-2009, 10:22 PM
For those that said that they wont trade Danny for no one...youre telling me you wouldnt trade Granger for Lebron, Kobe, or Dwight?????????? Thats just ridiculous.

Borderline deals would probably be Bosh, Amare and Dirk

pacers31tc
01-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I would trade Danny for Chris Paul straightup... anyday

But Danny's a Pacer for as long as we can keep him, neither Chris Paul or Lebron James are coming in a trade...

BlueNGold
01-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I think the only players clearly more valuable are:

LeBron
Dwight Howard
CP3
Kevin Durant
Yao
and maybe Deron Williams

Since it's unclear about the rest, I think I'm fine keeping Mr. Granger and his son.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

will567
01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Andrew Bynum #17 C» Add Widget
2008-09 STATS
PPG RPG BPG
12.7 7.7 1.7
2008-09 FANTASY STATS
% OWN WK +/- AVG DRAFT
99.3% -0.1% 70.1
Birth Date October 27, 1987
Birth Place Plainsboro, NJ
Height 7-0
Weight 285 lbs.
Age 21
Position C
Experience 3 years
Drafted 2005: 1st Rnd, 10th by LAL
Salary 2009: $2,769,300

He would be so good on the Pacers and would really answer all of our problems in the low post the only other realistic possibilty would be:

Amare Stoudemire #1 PF» Add Widget
2008-09 STATS
PPG RPG BPG
21.3 8.1 1.1
2008-09 FANTASY STATS
% OWN WK +/- AVG DRAFT
100.0% 0.0% 3.6
Birth Date November 16, 1982
Birth Place Lake Wales, FL
Height 6-10
Weight 249 lbs.
Age 26
Pronounced Ah-MAHR-ee STAH-duh-mire
Position PF
Experience 6 years
Drafted 2002: 1st Rnd, 9th by PHO
Salary 2009: $15,070,550

He also would be perfect as a Pacer and would solve the low post problem and he would be the man! Plus I would finially be able to see some dunks in a game! I would want Bynum 1st and Amare 2nd!

Dece
01-21-2009, 10:51 PM
I can't believe how much disrespect Chris Paul gets on this board. 2-3 threads calling him a second tier player, you guys are nuts. Absolutely bonkers.

21 points 11 assists 5.5 board 3 steals at the most important position in the game, his team is actually winning games, AND he's 2 years YOUNGER than Danny.

MyFavMartin
01-21-2009, 11:05 PM
A Klondike Bar

As long as they take Tinsley off our hands...

If we were trading DG straight up, salaries would have to match within 15%, right? I've not found anyone whose salary would match in a straight-up trade that I would trade Danny for. (Brandon Roy is of equal talent, methinks, but makes too much.)

Trading Danny is the last thing this team needs. We need a second banana.

If it dances... so be it.

:dance:

croz24
01-21-2009, 11:55 PM
wow, just wow to some of your comments.

Trader Joe
01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Lebron
Roy
Kobe
Wade
Howard
CP3
D-Will

Are all no brainers.

will567
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
After thinking about it I would also include Greg Oden w/ Outlaw to my list of Byum and Amare!

spazzxb
01-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Considering the contract we just signed him to, I wouldn't trade anyone for Danny. Anyone with his level of talent will be making 20 million a year before Dannys contract is up, if they don't jump ship first. Maybe a young stud but noone is proven enough yet.

maragin
01-22-2009, 05:16 AM
It seems like a tough question to answer, depending on the qualifiers. Are we trying to win now/ are we worried about their contract.

I'd say there are around 25 players I'd trade him for, including several that play positions that we aren't stacked at.

sweabs
01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I had a similar discussion with my father (a Raptors fan) the other day, asking him if he'd trade Bosh for Granger straight up. He said it was a no-brainer and he'd take Granger 10 times out of 10.

To think, they could have had both if it weren't for Joey Graham.

Speed
01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
You can use any qualifiers you want.

I'm looking at it right now as things are constructed with the Pacers.

I'm not considering salaries matching and all that, it gets too clouded.

I mean pure value of Danny Granger.

My thoughts are this, Danny plays a position that has more good players and maybe isn't as critical as a Point Guard. Even Center back in the day, but not now, was as important as Point Guard. I wouldn't trade him for Yao for instance, but I would for Dwight Howard, probably/maybe. I wouldn't trade him for Devin Harris, but I would in a minute for CP3.

CP3 to me should have been in my first group, looking back now or maybe in a group by himself with D Wade. To me, the best 2 players in the game are easily Lebron and Kobe. I'd take Lebron 10 out of 10 times because he's younger and can almost take a team to the finals COMPLETELY on his own. He's the magical makes others around him so much better. CP3 would be after those two with a healthy DWade. This after that I think it's all up for debate as far as who I would trade Danny for.

The only guy I wouldn't even consider that has been listed here so far is Chauncey due to age and Carmelo do to the lack of willingness to play D.

---------

Funny thing, with the mention of Jeff Green (joking) and Andrew Bynum on this thread. Ane then last night Jeff Green hits the game winner, I guess and Bynum goes OFF for 42/15. Don't underestimate the kiss of PD for a player.

Brad8888
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
If we are to listen to what the Pacers said either earlier in the regular season or in the off season, we need a low post scoring pf. Amare is dissatisfied with his touches due to Shaq and apparently pouted and just scored only 3 points against the Celtics. He could be reborn here, and we could possibly package Granger with Baston and possibly get the deal done. Kerr might hold out for Diener instead, though.

Dece
01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Haha, sorry, you can't have Amare unless we get Diener! :-p

...or were you being serious? :(

JayRedd
01-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I had a similar discussion with my father (a Raptors fan) the other day, asking him if he'd trade Bosh for Granger straight up. He said it was a no-brainer and he'd take Granger 10 times out of 10.

You should find some new friends.

xtacy
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Lebron
Wade
Howard
CP3

that's it.

xtacy
01-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Andrew Bynum #17 C» Add Widget
2008-09 STATS
PPG RPG BPG
12.7 7.7 1.7
2008-09 FANTASY STATS
% OWN WK +/- AVG DRAFT
99.3% -0.1% 70.1
Birth Date October 27, 1987
Birth Place Plainsboro, NJ
Height 7-0
Weight 285 lbs.
Age 21
Position C
Experience 3 years
Drafted 2005: 1st Rnd, 10th by LAL
Salary 2009: $2,769,300

He would be so good on the Pacers and would really answer all of our problems in the low post

i just can't understand the hype about this guy. he became a star without playing and now he's turning into a superstar without playing even good. some guys are too overrated.

there is no way on earth i would even consider trading danny for him.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
The Stone Cold Locks:
LeBron James
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard

In a Heartbeat:
Kobe Bryant

In Two Heartbeats:
Dwyane Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Brandon Roy
Deron Williams
Chris Bosh

More Than Likely:
Yao Ming
Kevin Garnett
Tony Parker
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose

Possibly:
Dirk Nowitzki
Al Jefferson
Carmelo Anthony
Rashard Lewis
Manu Ginobli
Josh Smith
Greg Oden
LaMarcus Aldridge
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Micheal Beasley
Rodney Stuckey

By groups. Off the top of my head.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Bird hopes so.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/01/22/pacers.granger.012209.ap/index.html
Indianapolis (AP)
nba.com

Pacers' Bird has big goals for All-Star hopeful Granger

By INDIANAPOLIS (AP)
Posted Jan 22 2009 5:55AM

The list of the NBA's top scorers is mostly predictable.

Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Danny Granger, Dirk Nowitzki ... Danny Granger?

Believe it.

The Indiana Pacers' relatively unknown forward is averaging 26.2 points and is the league's No. 4 scorer -- making a strong case to earn his first All-Star selection in his fourth season.

His legendary boss has bigger things in mind.

"I want Danny to make the All-Star team, but I'd rather see him represent our country in the next Olympics," Pacers president Larry Bird, a gold medalist with the 1992 Dream Team, told the Associated Press. "That's what I want to see, and that's when you know you made it, because those are all the best players in the world."

Bird said Granger's improved shooting, a result of his work ethic, should get him to the 2012 games in London.

"In the last year, just watching from the beginning of the season, it's all business, but at a higher level," Bird said. "I think Danny understands what it takes to get there, and I think he'll do it."

Granger averaged 34.7 points while shooting 49 percent over a six-game stretch against Western Conference teams that began on Jan. 3 and has scored more than 40 points three times since the start of December.

That's quite a feat for a player who fell to 17th in the 2005 draft. Though he's not as well known as Chris Paul and Deron Williams, the most established stars of that draft, he leads that group in scoring.

Granger isn't just putting up points, he's developing a reputation for making clutch shots. He drained a game-winning 3-pointer over two-time MVP Steve Nash on Jan. 7 in Phoenix, then made a game-tying jumper late in regulation before the Pacers beat Detroit in overtime a week later.

He made another dramatic shot this week, a game-tying 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left Monday at New Orleans, before being one-upped by Paul at the buzzer.

If he makes the All-Star game, he'll get voted in by the coaches. In the most recent returns from fan balloting, Granger was just eighth among Eastern Conference forwards.

If history is an indicator, Granger's slot in the Feb. 15 game in Phoenix appears secure. No player since 1992 who has averaged at least 26.1 points and was healthy at the All-Star break failed to make his conference's team, according to STATS LLC.

Bird never thought he'd have a chance to see Granger make it in a Pacers uniform. He recalls thinking he'd have to trade up for a shot at him.

"The day we brought him in to work him out for the draft, I told him there's no way we'll get you at 17, you're just too good," Bird said. "I never even dreamed we'd have a possibility."

A knee injury Granger suffered while playing at New Mexico scared teams off and allowed the Pacers to get their man.

Granger's first NBA mentor was Ron Artest, the former defensive player-of-the-year now with Houston. Granger said intense practices and training sessions with Artest helped him understand how hard he needed to work to make it in the league.

"He said they've always got somebody coming behind you waiting to take your spot," Granger said. "He said 'take you a spot, even if it's mine."'

Granger has steadily improved each season. He averaged 7.5 points as a rookie, 13.9 his second season and 19.6 in 2007-08.

With Artest, Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal having been traded the past three seasons, Granger is now the face of the franchise. He signed a five-year contract extension this season worth up to $65 million.

"He's going to have to be the cornerstone now," Pistons foward Tayshaun Prince said. "He's the guy that's playing great basketball and carrying the load for the team."

Granger scored 30 points in a loss at Utah on Jan. 12.

"He has freedom throughout the offense," Jazz guard Ronnie Brewer said. "He's able to take it to the basket, come off downscreens, pick and rolls. If he's hot and gets it going, he's capable of scoring 40 points."

He scored 37 points in the win at Phoenix, but the big shot over Nash was the one that increased his confidence the most.

"It just took it to another level," Granger said. "I had already been scoring the ball, and at that moment in time, I really wanted to take that last shot. That's what I live for, that's the shot I want to take."

Bird considers Granger a very good all-around player, but he wants Granger to continue to fine-tune the skills that don't involve scoring.

"I don't care if you get 40," Bird said. "Get eight rebounds. Get five assists. It's them little things that make you a complete player. If I had anything to say about his game, he should be getting eight rebounds a game. Other than that, he's fine."

Granger wants to attack his weaknesses to reach his personal goals and reward Bird's confidence. He sees making the Olympic team as a legitimate possibility.

"That's a great honor, and I think I could definitely reach that level," he said. "It's definitely within my grasp. I just have to keep developing my game."

Kstat
01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Ideally:

LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Howard, Paul, Deron, Roy, Granger, Millsap, Durant, plus one of Suckey/Rose and one of Oden/Lopez.

Naptown_Seth
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I thought the 2012 team was coming from the same preset pool from a few years ago? I trust Kstat so I guess I'm out of the loop on the Olympics situation for 2012.

Kstat
01-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought the 2012 team was coming from the same preset pool from a few years ago? I trust Kstat so I guess I'm out of the loop on the Olympics situation for 2012.

The pool only has a 3-year window. There will be a new pool selected next summer for an additional 3 years.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't know that you'll be able to write off Kobe or Carmelo in 3.5 years. They were too important in the last run.

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Deron Williams
Carmelo Anthony

The remaining 3 spots will be open.

I'll take Greg Oden as interior defender, Derrick Rose as my 3rd PG, and the shooter spot is tough to call. Granger could get that but my money is on Durant.

I'd like to see Granger on the team but I'd be surprised if it happened. Though if Coach K sticks around for another try I could see him falling in love with Danny.

Anthem
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM
NO NO NO NO NO! I do NOT want Granger playing in the summer! I don't care about the honor, he's taking 3 years off of his career if he does it.

Kstat
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
...like Jordan and LeBron took 3 years off from their careers?

In case you didn't notice, most players wind up having career years the season after they play in the olympics.

This also might come as a shock, but although you may not care about Granger being honored by his country, he might....

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Kobe already committed to the World Championships in 2010 and the Olympics in 2012. He's a lock.

It'll be interesting to see what Wade, Bosh, Lebron, and Amare do. It takes a three year commitment and all four of those guys will be looking for jobs in 2010. They'd have to play in the World Championships in Turkey while looking for a new team at the same time.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
NO NO NO NO NO! I do NOT want Granger playing in the summer! I don't care about the honor, he's taking 3 years off of his career if he does it.

If you get the chance to compete for your country you do it. End of story in my mind.

Kstat
01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
If you get the chance to compete for your country you do it. End of story in my mind.

Exactly. It's incredibly selfish of people to deny someone a chance to compete for his country. There are bigger things in life than your local pro basketball team.

If Stuckey gets selected and gets hurt, I'm not going to curse the skies. You aren't any more likely to get hurt during the olympics than you are in the NBA, actually less so.

If one of my guys gets the chance of a lifetime to get a gold medal, I'll be happy for them, not bitter.

I'd like to think that we're all supposed to be americans above anything else. I can't fathom why anybody would value their hometown more than their country.

Anthem
01-22-2009, 02:03 PM
...like Jordan and LeBron took 3 years off from their careers?
How much do you think the dream team practiced before the Olympics? And LeBron just turned 24. WAY too soon to use him as an example.

In case you didn't notice, most players wind up having career years the season after they play in the olympics.
Actually, players who play in the Olympics often have far more injuries than those who don't. I'll go find the articles.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the one I'm looking for, but interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/sports/basketball/05fatigue.html?ref=olympics

Again, not the one I'm looking for, but interesting:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25026633/

Kstat
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
How much do you think the dream team practiced before the Olympics? And LeBron just turned 24. WAY too soon to use him as an example.

Actually, players who play in the Olympics often have far more injuries than those who don't. I'll go find the articles.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the one I'm looking for, but interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/sports/basketball/05fatigue.html?ref=olympics

...and the ones that don't typically play their best basketball following an olympic appearance.

Howard, Wade and LeBron are all turning in career seasons this year, for example.

BTW, that article is bogus. Kaman was injury-prone long before china, and nocioni is on the downside of his career.

ChicagoJ
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I respectfully disagree, it is playing over multiple (consecutive) summers that begin to rob a player of his much-needed recovery time.

Playing one or perhaps two summers should be okay for Danny, if he's fortunate enough to be selected.

We Pacers fans are a little scared because JO had to play three straight summers, and was never the same after that.

OakMoses
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Deron Williams
Carmelo Anthony

Danny would be the best outside shooter on that roster. I like how all the talk has been about our national team not having any shooters, but then we don't really do anything to correct the problem. They threw Michael Redd on last year's team, but he couldn't get any PT because he wouldn't play defense.

I think Danny would be a better fit than Durant because he's more willing to do the little things and to fit into the team concept. I think that Danny would be fairly comfortable understanding the non-star role and embracing it than most players who'd be considered.

Trader Joe
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
If Granger turned down playing for his country, I'd be concerned about his head. I think he is the kind of person that would eat that up.

I'd love to see him get a chance to do it too, and I think he would thrive in the international style.

What it comes down to for me, is that 50 years from now, there will be a lot of guys who said they were in the NBA, very few will be able to say they played for their country. If Danny walks out there and blows out his knee, I'll be upset, but not at him, just at the bad luck. Not playing in the Olympics when you are an American basketball player because you might get injured, would be like me not wanting to leave my house to go drive my car to the store. You play basketball, most of these guys probably have a deep memory of the dream team embedded in their heads, you go for it if you get the chance, and you do not look back.

Trader Joe
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know that you'll be able to write off Kobe or Carmelo in 3.5 years. They were too important in the last run.

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Deron Williams
Carmelo Anthony

The remaining 3 spots will be open.

I'll take Greg Oden as interior defender, Derrick Rose as my 3rd PG, and the shooter spot is tough to call. Granger could get that but my money is on Durant.

I'd like to see Granger on the team but I'd be surprised if it happened. Though if Coach K sticks around for another try I could see him falling in love with Danny.

Why is Amare a lock? I don't know, I'm not in love with him as a lot of other people, and I'm not really sure he fills any role on that team.

I think Coach K would absolutely love Danny's mentality if he was around him.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Why is Amare a lock? I don't know, I'm not in love with him as a lot of other people, and I'm not really sure he fills any role on that team.

I think Coach K would absolutely love Danny's mentality if he was around him.

He would have been a lock last time were it not for the injury. I think it's safe to say unless he pulls out again he'll be a lock. Primarily because there aren't many other worth bigs.

count55
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Exactly. It's incredibly selfish of people to deny someone a chance to compete for his country. There are bigger things in life than your local pro basketball team.

If Stuckey gets selected and gets hurt, I'm not going to curse the skies. You aren't any more likely to get hurt during the olympics than you are in the NBA, actually less so.

If one of my guys gets the chance of a lifetime to get a gold medal, I'll be happy for them, not bitter.

I'd like to think that we're all supposed to be americans above anything else. I can't fathom why anybody would value their hometown more than their country.

First of all, nobody has the capability to deny anyone anything.

Second of all, if Danny wants to play for his country, then good for him. I hope that he can make the team. I am willing to bet that Anthem feels the same way.

That being said, the Olympics mean absolutely nothing to me. There are certainly things more important than my hometown teams, but the Olympics ain't one of them for me. People act as if it is serving your country on a par with military service, but I simply do not see their importance...at all.

Because they hold no value to me, then the only thing I see is more wear and tear on the player and additional opportunity for injury. (You'll find me on record for saying the same thing about All-Star games and, to a lesser extent, sending players to the NBDL.) I see JO playing essentially for three straight years without a break, and I see Reggie losing effectiveness for pretty much a full year after our last Team USA experience.

Again, if Danny wanted to get a Gold, then I would hope that he would get a chance to get a Gold. However, that would be solely based on hoping that Danny could get that for himself. (BTW...I'd also love to see Danny get an All Star berth, but I don't care whether he actually plays in the game or not.)

I have plenty of national pride. It is just that my opinion of the US and my good fortune of being born and raised here is not increased or decreased one bit by the performance of its National Sports teams. I want the US to continue to be prosperous and a world leader. However, if you're going to ask me whether I want success by the Pacers or success by the US Basketball team, the answer is going to be Pacers, every time. To me, the question is on a par with asking me if I would prefer success of the Eastern Conference All-Star team over the Pacers.

There's no selfishness to this point of view. It is simply a matter of preference.

Major Cold
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Its down to him, Martin, and insert other shooter.

Kstat
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
comparing the olympics to the nba all-star game is ridiculous. There is no meanignful comparison on any scale.

RaptorsFan
01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
As a raptors fan, let me say, Jose's injury problems started at the Olympics, and Bosh who looked great during the Olympics, also plays some of the most min in the league, and it's wearing him out, as a fan of Team USA you should want him to be there i guess, altho i could see other guys doing his job. But as a Pacers fan, you shouldnt want this, honestly the negative greatly outweigh's the postive, if a player was going to break out, it's usually his talent and self motivation that does it, not being picked to play for their country, in fact a snub can motivate you asmuch as being picked.

Kstat
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Jose has been a member of Spain's national team his entire career, though. You can't really compare european national players because US players do not compete nearly as often, and they certainly aren't taxed in international play nearly as much, because the burden to carry the team isnt there.

RaptorsFan
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
True, but Jose was never a starter in the NBA before, he was a backup, and he joined the league at age 24 so he doesnt have the wear and tear of a 27 year old nba player either, it's probably about the same. Im just saying, injuries do happen internationally, a couple years ago we lost Garbajosa to an injury because he played internationally, im sure your American pride wants you to win, but you guys can win without Danny, if Pacers are a bigger concern i wouldnt want him there.

duke dynamite
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
The Bayou Baller

Jonathan
01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Stanko Barac will be dominating by 2012. The Pacers will be well represented with both him & Danny.

Spirit
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Isn't that cool? He's getting recognition now.:) LeBron leads small forwards with 99, but Danny is second with a rating of 93.

OrganizedConfusion
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Whoa that's awesome. It's a perfect example of the real time ratings in action!

CableKC
01-22-2009, 05:14 PM
It's great that he's getting recognition in the NBA 2k9 world....too bad that there's a chance that he won't get in in the real world in this year's All Star Game.

MiaDragon
01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9090012&MSNHPHMA#sport=NBA&photo=9090006

Most Improved Player: Danny Granger, Indiana Pacers
In his fourth season out of New Mexico, Granger has taken the leap from good player to All-Star (he'll almost certainly make the East roster as a reserve). A smooth and athletic forward with a deadly midrange jumper, Granger has upped his scoring average from 17.6 to 26.4 (fourth in the league) and also improved his ballhandling and defense. This is a close call between Granger and Devin Harris, who has blossomed into the East's best point guard and made the Mavs look forever foolish.
Honorable mention: Harris (Nets), Paul Millsap (Jazz), Kevin Durant (Thunder), Jameer Nelson (Magic).

Naptown_Seth
01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
The funny thing is that early on our own buzz was probably for Troy, or maybe Jack with playing time. The last few months by Danny have been insane, truly. Right now I think he's a lock on this award, assuming he can keep it up naturally.

Think about this, how often do guys win this without actually getting a ton more minutes? How often do guys play, say, 30+ the year before and win this award? And one more spin on it, how often do they pull that off beyond year 2-3, as in a rookie making a huge jump in year 2?

What Danny is doing truly embodies the spirit of the award. He's not a guy that's finally getting a chance or a kid so green in year 1 that it took till year 2 to figure it out. And on that same line, Dunleavy was like that last year too except that he had shot the 3 pretty well early on and then started to stink. He was more comeback than MIP.

Doddage
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
As much as I'd love Granger to get the award, I think Harris will come away with it.

OrganizedConfusion
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Seeing how the Pacers are far from being a playoff caliber team, I wouldn't trade for anyone older than him. So using that criteria, I would go after one of the following:

Lebron James
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Brandon Roy
Josh Smith
Andrew Bynum
Deron Williams
Chris Bosh
Al Jefferson

What people don't realize is that Danny isn't even that young for this league--his current age of 25 yrs makes him only one year younger than the average NBA player. Sure, he's having a break out season, but almost every 2/3 reaches a similar offensive peak at that age! Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller, Paul Pierce, Tracy McGrady, and Joe Johnson are a few examples. Just look at the numbers and you'll see that a lot of these guys have career scoring years at that age. I'm not knocking Danny, I just think his future value may be a little inflated based on how he is performing now, and while he will be a star player for many years to come he probably won't top this season. That's why I would ONLY trade him for a younger player who hasn't reached his zenith yet.

Spirit
01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Whoa that's awesome. It's a perfect example of the real time ratings in action!Was that sarcastic?

Trader Joe
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
What I want to know is when did Danny average 17.6 ppg?

Trader Joe
01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
He would have been a lock last time were it not for the injury. I think it's safe to say unless he pulls out again he'll be a lock. Primarily because there aren't many other worth bigs.

Do you really need another one if you have Howard/Bosh/insert defensive minded big man here? What does Amare bring you besides scoring? Absolutely nothing. This team has plenty of scoring. It's not like Amare is going to stretch the defense or out rebound Bosh or Howard or lock down Yao. He serves no purpose on this team. Sweet he can dunk. So can every other player on that team, and they actually do other things too.

Trader Joe
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
comparing the olympics to the nba all-star game is ridiculous. There is no meanignful comparison on any scale.

Co-signed. And I think every single person involved with the 2008 Olympics team would probably take offense to that statement.

Is it equivalent to military service? No, but I don't think I saw anyone say that either. (Until Count brought it up. Sorry Count I'm usually right with you on most things, but I don't see where you are going here.)

Is it a great source of national pride? I believe so, and I think a lot of people would agree with me.

Spirit
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
As much as I'd love Granger to get the award, I think Harris will come away with it.
Harris has faded lately, I don't think he'll win it.

Suaveness
01-22-2009, 06:23 PM
One more for you:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtjiDH24S_7PrYGFichFhyw5nYcB?slug=ap-pacers-granger&prov=ap&type=lgns

GrangerRanger
01-22-2009, 06:23 PM
They were talking about Kobe's three year 81 point game anniversary and how they didn't think anyone on the current top 10 scorer's in the NBA could get 80.

However, they did mention that Granger could "get 60 to 65 maybe". :D

GrangerRanger
01-22-2009, 06:24 PM
What I want to know is when did Danny average 17.6 ppg?

Or since when was 37 points his career high. :rolleyes:

Will Galen
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
And if Danny doesn't want to play in the Olympic's? What will everyone think of him then? Not every player does you know.

For all we know Danny might say, "I made an agreement with my wife-to-be that summer is her time." Most would think that an absurd reason, but everyone doesn't see eye to eye on the importance of the Olympic's. European's for example think the World Championships are more important.

spazzxb
01-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Was that sarcastic?

It would make sense if you played the game regularly. For years 2k's online roster updates have been pathetic. This year they implemented a new system that updates the rosters of every team regularly (guessing weekly). Granger began this season as an 88 and has climbed to a 93 overall rating this season. Unfortunatly Dunleavy is still a 79 (horribly innaccurate. They also rotate the lineups to make a reasonably accurate depiction of who will be on the court.

RamBo_Lamar
01-22-2009, 07:16 PM
They were talking about Kobe's three year 81 point game anniversary and how they didn't think anyone on the current top 10 scorer's in the NBA could get 80.

However, they did mention that Granger could "get 60 to 65 maybe". :D

I'd love to see 60+ from Danny some day, but it is highly unlikely.

I will say though that the way he's really wratcheted up his scoring this season, I'm
strangely reminded of how another small forward from the 80's blossomed into one of
the league's most prolific scorers - Bernard King. We may be seeing something
similar here.

Roy Munson
01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Not really, I just wanted to start another thread about Danny Granger since it seems like the popular thing to do today.

Unclebuck
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL, yeah there are quite a few Granger threads right now. This is the only one I decided to click on though

Putnam
01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Roy, it is an idea who's time has come. I was wondering whether Granger

1. should be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame this year
2. ought to be on the Catholic church's short list for sainthood.

Now me, I'm just a casual fan, so I'm content to watch him play basketball for the Pacers.

Will Galen
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I believed you, however I didn't think it was the Pacers Danny Granger. I thought his dad was being considered for a seat in Louisiana, but that didn't make sense because he lives in Indiana now. After that I had the thread open.

And yes there are a lot of Granger threads, but each is a different topic so I don't mind.

Even this one as silly as it is, is way better reading that post game threads after a loss.

CompACE
01-22-2009, 07:34 PM
It would make sense if you played the game regularly. For years 2k's online roster updates have been pathetic. This year they implemented a new system that updates the rosters of every team regularly (guessing weekly). Granger began this season as an 88 and has climbed to a 93 overall rating this season. Unfortunatly Dunleavy is still a 79 (horribly innaccurate. They also rotate the lineups to make a reasonably accurate depiction of who will be on the court.

He wasn't even that high to begin with - He started out as 85 - The guy's basically my go-to guy in the game. He hardly ever misses mid-ranged shots. It's actually gotten a little bit ridiculous because his slashing and dunking ability in the game is way too high.

http://www.sportsgamer.com/content/2240/nba-2k9-small-forward-ratings/

Major Cold
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
can we make these one thread. Only fair to the fire JOB homers.

BruceLeeroy
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
You message board lifers really should cut these young guys some slack. It doesn't bother me at all. If you don't want to read it then don't.

dannygee33
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
lol, oh my goodness. :)
grangers the man, for sure.

Midcoasted
01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
He wasn't even that high to begin with - He started out as 85 - The guy's basically my go-to guy in the game. He hardly ever misses mid-ranged shots. It's actually gotten a little bit ridiculous because his slashing and dunking ability in the game is way too high.

http://www.sportsgamer.com/content/2240/nba-2k9-small-forward-ratings/

Kinda like how bender was the best dunker/shot blocker on the old NBA Live. Ridiculous but I'm dominated with him.

Major Cold
01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
You message board lifers really should cut these young guys some slack. It doesn't bother me at all. If you don't want to read it then don't.

I have only been registered a half a year longer than you. Also I read everyone of them. I just thought to clear up page one and allow other topics front page would be nice.

GO!!!!!
01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I miss Bender in NBA LIVE..

dude was awesome...

Ahh Memories....

duke dynamite
01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I must've missed something...

Will Galen
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
can we make these one thread. Only fair to the fire JOB homers.

As someone that read them all I think merging five of them them was a mistake. Granger was the only common denominator, they were different subjects and going in different directions, now it's a mishmash I don't care to read.

Spirit
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Granger was an 85 when the game was first made actually. Dunleavy hasn't been raised yet because he just got back from injury. I think he'll be an 83 or so soon.

BruceLeeroy
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I have only been registered a half a year longer than you. Also I read everyone of them. I just thought to clear up page one and allow other topics front page would be nice.

I got no problem with your request, but someone starting a new thread just to make fun of others is a little childish IMO.

Major Cold
01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I didn't see it as making fun. Just being sarcastic. I could be wrong.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
These threads were all significantly different and yet they are merged?

I guess I fail to see how talking about players who you'd trade for Danny Granger and his merits as to whether he could be an Olympian are the same. Or his video game ratings for that matter.

troy_225
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I miss Bender in NBA LIVE..

dude was awesome...

Ahh Memories....

No doubt Bender was the man in Live...

I seen somewhere that out of the top 5 scorers in a NBA season that only one player hasn't made the all-star game for that season in NBA history, if thats true Granger's chances are high being #4 in scoring. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I think thats what I seen on t.v.

Raoul Duke
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Now this thread is confusing as hell! Thanks for merging them all together!!!

Hoop
01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Doesn't make much sense to merge all this together. One thread was about a NBA console game, one about the Olympics, one about Danny be talked about in a specific article. There all about Danny no doubt, but they ARE different.

Maybe all the threads in the section should be merged together into one big mega thread, after all they are all about the Pacers.

JMO

BRushWithDeath
01-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Why wasn't Reggie Miller's thoughts on the All-Star game merged as well?

RamBo_Lamar
01-23-2009, 12:58 AM

I guess I fail to see how talking about players who you'd trade for Danny Granger and his merits as to whether he could be an Olympian are the same. Or his video game ratings for that matter.

It's sort of humorous having these threads merged actually.

It seems alot of posters have been just like a bunch a squawking chickens
lately, so might as well add to the confusion so they have even more to
squawk about.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

(LMAO)

Granger is THE MAN nevertheless.

Trader Joe
01-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Why were these threads merged? I don't understand that at all. Particularly the Granger+Olympics thread which IMO was generating some interesting conversation on its own and now it is just jumbled in here. He is on the Pacers correct? and this is a Pacers forum correct? How does who would you trade Danny Granger for have anything to do with should he make the Olympic team? Just kills what could be some provocative conversation by jumbling it all up into one thread.

Bleh...

Trader Joe
01-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Now this thread is confusing as hell! Thanks for merging them all together!!!

Yeah, no kidding. I really don't understand why this was done at all. I was really enjoying the Olympics thread. Particularly the home team vs. country debate. I don't know why this was done.

Trader Joe
01-23-2009, 01:15 AM

Again co-sign. As you can tell I'm a little upset about this, and most of the time I side with the admins on this issue, but you took three separate threads and merged them into one, and yet you leave the Reggie Miller says Granger not an all-star thread out? What gives? They were four different threads.

Trader Joe
01-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Doesn't make much sense to merge all this together. One thread was about a NBA console game, one about the Olympics, one about Danny be talked about in a specific article. There all about Danny no doubt, but they ARE different.

Maybe all the threads in the section should be merged together into one big mega thread, after all they are all about the Pacers.

JMO

Again, I'm kind of upset about this.

Trader Joe
01-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Ok, I'm gonna end my rant after this, but this just seems like totally ridiculous thing to do. Couldn't you have just locked the Granger being considered for vacant senate seat thread? Why did you have to kill off a few other threads that were generating interesting conversation? I mean I just DO NOT get this. Just seems like if some are far too inconvenienced to read more than one thread about Danny when most of them clearly have a different specific intent. I know that video game ratings are inconsequential, but how does the All-Star game, the Olympics, the MIP award, and who you would trade Danny for have anything to do with one another? Might as well just condense the board down to 17 or 18 topics if this is the way you want to do it.

One for each player (15), one for game threads, one for Pacer trade rumors, and one for general NBA news. Boom no one has to read more than one thread.

I'm probably gonna get in trouble for this, and I really don't mean to start anything, but I 100% do not see the rationalization behind merging some of this threads together.

troy_225
01-23-2009, 01:29 AM
No doubt Bender was the man in Live...

I seen somewhere that out of the top 5 scorers in a NBA season that only one player hasn't made the all-star game for that season in NBA history, if thats true Granger's chances are high being #4 in scoring. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I think thats what I seen on t.v.

"If history is any indication, though, Granger doesn’t need to worry.Since 1985-86, just three players who were in the top five in scoring at the All-Star break were not selected to play in the game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau." -Mike Wells, Indy Star

I guess I was wrong, but Granger still has a pretty good chance of making the all-star game, I hope.

Pacers#1Fan
01-23-2009, 02:26 AM
This thread is one big cluster f*#@ lol.

Don't really play video games, cool he's ranked so high though.

Granger should be an Olympian if he keeps this up. His rebounding is likely to improve a little more. I really think he has the potential to be a great assist man, especially with some of the passes I've seen him come off with. He would be a pretty solid asset.

Already covered the trade thing

spazzxb
01-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Granger was an 85 when the game was first made actually. Dunleavy hasn't been raised yet because he just got back from injury. I think he'll be an 83 or so soon.

OB needs to get Mcbob some Minutes, because he is definitely better than 67. It may be accurate but its always frustrating to see Tinsley as one of our best players.:cry:

P.S. This is now relevant to the thread but has nothing to do with Danny.

Erik
01-31-2009, 04:02 PM
#1 (1) Danny Granger - Indiana Pacers (19-28) - 25.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.4 blocks and 1.1 steals.

Granger continues to demonstrate just how good he has become on both ends of the floor. So often offensive numbers are what drive a list like this one; however, some of the greatest strides Granger has taken this season are on the defensive end of the floor and aren't necessarily evident by looking at the few defensive stats that are tabulated such as steals and blocks. Granger is a complete player and the Eastern Conference coaches took note by electing him to his first NBA All-Star Game earlier this week. The fact he is now playing through a knee injury is just further testament to the type of player Granger has become.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11397

I threw this in this thread because it's someone giving Danny some love rather than actual news, right? Anyway, it was pretty cool to come across it. I guess this is hoopsworld's current pick for MIP.

SoupIsGood
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Um, why would you megathread the only thing worth talking about this season? Dumb.

Trader Joe
01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Um, why would you megathread the only thing worth talking about this season? Dumb.

Yep.

It totally killed some great conversations.

Erik
01-31-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't know much about hoopsworld, but I don't consider them to be one of the premier sports reporting entities. It didn't seem a whole lot different to me than seeing it on another fan forum in a different city. Like I said, it's just someone other than us giving Danny some love. And it's no reason to be an *** and call me dumb just because I didn't do it the way you would've.

SoupIsGood
01-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know much about hoopsworld, but I don't consider them to be one of the premier sports reporting entities. It didn't seem a whole lot different to me than seeing it on another fan forum in a different city. Like I said, it's just someone other than us giving Danny some love. And it's no reason to be an *** and call me dumb just because I didn't do it the way you would've.
I was not calling you dumb. I don't think we should have this megathread. I liked your post.

Erik
01-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I was not calling you dumb. I don't think we should have this megathread. I liked your post.Sorry, it's cool. I'm usually one to ignore those things anyway (even though you didn't mean it like that), but I'm still carrying a little anger inside from a guy doing too much yappin' while playing ball this morning. I should've known better, you've been classy ever since I've been here.

Jon Theodore
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Why were these threads merged? I don't understand that at all. Particularly the Granger+Olympics thread which IMO was generating some interesting conversation on its own and now it is just jumbled in here. He is on the Pacers correct? and this is a Pacers forum correct? How does who would you trade Danny Granger for have anything to do with should he make the Olympic team? Just kills what could be some provocative conversation by jumbling it all up into one thread.

Bleh...

How are the moderators supposed to find self worth if they can not merge a thread together on the interweb, give them a break.

Roaming Gnome
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Look, I made a "mistake" when trying to merge a couple of the redundant Granger threads and ended up merging more threads then I wanted to. The process is irreversible.

Sorry.
-RG

SoupIsGood
01-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Look, I made a "mistake" when trying to merge a couple of the redundant Granger threads and ended up merging more threads then I wanted to. The process is irreversible.

Sorry.
-RG

Haha, it's cool. Sorry for "dumb." I think I was probably a little too attached to popping in here for my quick doses of some DG-lovin'.

Trader Joe
01-31-2009, 10:23 PM

Sorry.
-RG

Gnome,

I'm a little edgy right now, so that's why I've been ranting in this thread.

A mistake is a mistake though, so I apologize for my attitude.