PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford, "Pacers are in a very good position."

Will Galen
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I thought about putting this blurb in the NBA random thoughts thread, but I think it's of interest to most of us, and some would miss it in the Random though thread. It's from Chad Ford's latest chat on ESPN.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24639

Mark, Orlando: Give me your take on the Pacers. Do they make a move before the deadline, continue to build with young players, or look to sign a big free agent in 2010?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif Chad Ford: They are in a very good position. They have A LOT of assets. They have big expiring contracts like Rasho Nesterovic and Marquis Daniels. They have young players like Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert. They have vets they would move like Mike Dunleavy, Jeff Foster and Jarrett Jack. They still have Jamaal Tinsley, a guard who, when healthy, is a legit starting point guard in the league. And they have a draft pick that looks like a Top 10 pick. Package those together in a number of ways and the Pacers could be big players at the trade deadline. Lots of interest around the league in Daniels and Foster. Lots of teams would love some cap relief. I think that a lot of the business in the league could pivot on what they do. Like I said they can facilitate just about any deal out there.
--------------------
From what Chad Ford is saying maybe Tinsley will be gone by the trade deadline. If not I'm still interested in what moves the Pacers front office will make. This makes it seem like we have more than a good chance of doing something.

BlueNGold
01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
A bit optimistic, but he makes a few good points at the end. I hope we see some more player movement.

CableKC
01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I think someone needs to direct Ford to count55s post about our Salary Cap situation for 2009-2010 ;). Although there maybe alot of intesest in Rasho and Marquis....unless we get a total "no-brainer" trade offer and/or we do not have much of an intention to resign Jack, I don't think that we could take back a player that would have a comprable 2009-2010 Salary that wouldn't push us over the likely luxury Tax in 2009-2010.

MrSparko
01-20-2009, 06:14 PM
I think someone needs to direct Ford to count55s post about our Salary Cap situation. Although there maybe alot of intesest in Rasho and Marquis....unless we do not have much of an intention to resign Jack, I don't think that we could take back a player that would have a comprable 2009-2010 Salary.

Well if we were to say get a starting point guard or better point guard than jack at least back then we probably wouldn't want him back. Not saying I have anyone in mind, but we don't haveto resign jack.

tfarks
01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
In this instance Chad Ford is a wise man. No free agents will be fighting to come here. Trade off the expiring contracts for talent if the right deal comes along. If not, don't re-sign them anyway. Take the cap relief. Can't hurt the bottom line.

BPump33
01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I thought about putting this blurb in the NBA random thoughts thread, but I think it's of interest to most of us, and some would miss it in the Random though thread. It's from Chad Ford's latest chat on ESPN.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24639

Mark, Orlando: Give me your take on the Pacers. Do they make a move before the deadline, continue to build with young players, or look to sign a big free agent in 2010?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif Chad Ford: They are in a very good position. They have A LOT of assets. They have big expiring contracts like Rasho Nesterovic and Marquis Daniels. They have young players like Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert. They have vets they would move like Mike Dunleavy, Jeff Foster and Jarrett Jack. They still have Jamaal Tinsley, a guard who, when healthy, is a legit starting point guard in the league. And they have a draft pick that looks like a Top 10 pick. Package those together in a number of ways and the Pacers could be big players at the trade deadline. Lots of interest around the league in Daniels and Foster. Lots of teams would love some cap relief. I think that a lot of the business in the league could pivot on what they do. Like I said they can facilitate just about any deal out there.
--------------------
From what Chad Ford is saying maybe Tinsley will be gone by the trade deadline. If not I'm still interested in what moves the Pacers front office will make. This makes it seem like we have more than a good chance of doing something.

I posted this Chad Ford excerpt in the "Halfway through the season" thread, but I'll ask the question I had from that thread here, too. What do you think we could get out of Daniels? Do you think he will see the floor less now (even if he's healthy) b/c other teams have already seen his value?

CableKC
01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
In this instance Chad Ford is a wise man. No free agents will be fighting to come here. Trade off the expiring contracts for talent if the right deal comes along. If not, don't re-sign them anyway. Take the cap relief. Can't hurt the bottom line.
Agreed.....unless we can get a really good deal where we get back Players that will help us over the next 2-3 season ( ie, lockdown perimeter player or Low-post scoring/defender ), then I'm more then content to let them expire.

vnzla81
01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
I posted this Chad Ford excerpt in the "Halfway through the season" thread, but I'll ask the question I had from that thread here, too. What do you think we could get out of Daniels? Do you think he will see the floor less now (even if he's healthy) b/c other teams have already seen his value?

I think for Daniels the pacers could get a guy like Travis Outlaw, he is been in trading rumors for most of the year and at the moment the Trail Blazers are looking to trade him for an expiring, also because they are getting hit for the next two years on the DMiles deal. Also the bulls are looking to trade Nocioni, they are another team looking for cap space. I would like either one of this guys coming of the bench. You guys should also ask another question, should the pacers resign Jack,Marquis and Graham? and should the pacers trade Foster?

Hicks
01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
What would we do with either Outlaw or Nocioni? I mean if Outlaw likes being the 6th/7th guy, great, why not, but otherwise?

And Nocioni, would he supplant Murphy? If not, does he really stand a chance of benching Jeff? Then again, Jeff might be back at C all the time now.....

BRushWithDeath
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
You guys should also ask another question, should the pacers resign Jack,Marquis and Graham? and should the pacers trade Foster?

I'd vote to resign Graham. Marquis's option is too expensive. I'm lukewarm to resigning Jack but I wouldn't be upset by it either. If they can trade Foster they'd be crazy not to.

MillerTime
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I think for Daniels the pacers could get a guy like Travis Outlaw, he is been in trading rumors for most of the year and at the moment the Trail Blazers are looking to trade him for an expiring, also because they are getting hit for the next two years on the DMiles deal. Also the bulls are looking to trade Nocioni, they are another team looking for cap space. I would like either one of this guys coming of the bench. You guys should also ask another question, should the pacers resign Jack,Marquis and Graham? and should the pacers trade Foster?

I wouldnt want anything to do with Nocioni's contract. Hes getting paid $8 million for this year and his contract goes to 2011 - 2012 (with 2012-2013 being a team option)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9193

vnzla81
01-20-2009, 07:03 PM
What would we do with either Outlaw or Nocioni? I mean if Outlaw likes being the 6th/7th guy, great, why not, but otherwise?

And Nocioni, would he supplant Murphy? If not, does he really stand a chance of benching Jeff? Then again, Jeff might be back at C all the time now.....

This two guys are long and are good defenders, Travis Outlaw is a better option than Quis not only Because he is a better and younger and also because his contract is only 4mil a year, Nocioni is not a PF even though he can play that postion, the guy is a hard nose player, plays hard a can shoot the 3, his contract is close to Quis with the difference that decrease by the year. This two players could be an upgrade compared to Quis

Pacerized
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd vote to resign Graham. Marquis's option is too expensive. I'm lukewarm to resigning Jack but I wouldn't be upset by it either. If they can trade Foster they'd be crazy not to.

I think picking up the option on Daniels might depend on who we could spend the money on next year. If there isn't a player that we want to pick up for next season then Daniels may have even more value as an expiring contract for the 2010 free agent class.

BRushWithDeath
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I think picking up the option on Daniels might depend on who we could spend the money on next year. If there isn't a player that we want to pick up for next season then Daniels may have even more value as an expiring contract for the 2010 free agent class.

I guess I just don't see the Pacers being major players in the 2010 free agency. Maybe I'm wrong. Plus, I'd rather see those minutes go to Brandon Rush and Stephen Graham.

pwee31
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
The deadline should definitely be interesting, though I wonder if the close games we've been apart of will make Bird hesitant?

I think our team not being healthy will make it hard to make a move as well. I think we're a piece or two away fom being a really soild team, and it isn't necessarily a big time piece.

It's nice to know that we may have some bargaining chips. I'm curious who might be available at the deadline that could help our team (for more then the rest of the season)

Haven't heard many names available, but maybe dealing with the Blazers again for a Frye or Outlaw

Perhaps a Dalembert from the sixers, though his contract is a little too loaded for my taste. Same goes for Kirlenko who I like.

Maybe try to get a Drew Gooden from the Bulls

Not sure what teams will be shopping? Maybe the Clips with a Kaman or Camby?

Ha maybe the Pistons will give up Rip?

Will the Lakers move Odom?

OKC with Wilcox or Collision

Maybe a big name will become available?

Who knows, but I'm excited to see how things develop

MillerTime
01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I guess I just don't see the Pacers being major players in the 2010 free agency. Maybe I'm wrong. Plus, I'd rather see those minutes go to Brandon Rush and Stephen Graham.

They wont be major players in the 2010 FA. Possibly the 2011, when Dunleavy, Murphy and Tinsley's contracts come up

QuickRelease
01-20-2009, 07:10 PM
If we get anyone from Chicago, I either want Thomas, or Noah. Thomas would give us better interior defense, but also the potential for another headcase.

BPump33
01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I would love to see Camby blocking shots down low. I'm pretty sure he has two years left on his contract, but if we traded Rasho and Quis for Camby and filler I would be pretty happy.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into the trade proposal thread.

Edit: I just looked on the trade machine and the trade works if they threw in Ricky Davis which is about a 2 million EXPIRING contract. The Clips would be freeing up some cap space with this trade and we would get some low post defense.

Justin Tyme
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM

I'm tired of contract year players having a good year only to be a disappointment later not to mention Daniels past health issues. My preference would be to trade him for a big that can bolster the middle, and if not then allow him to leave having his salary come off the cap. I'm not worried about losing his play this year by trading him b4 the trade deadline. Both Rush and Graham can take the PT.

Kemo
01-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Ha maybe the Pistons will give up Rip?

Maybe a big name will become available?

Who knows, but I'm excited to see how things develop

I would LOVE for us to have Rip .. He reminds me ALOT of Reggie moreso than anyone I've seen come along.. I think he once said he looked up to Miller quite a bit , and built his game around Reggie's playstyle..

Justin Tyme
01-20-2009, 07:31 PM
W/o a doubt you resign Graham b/c he's a good bench player, he's a good locker room and chemistry guy, he knows JO'B type game, and he can be signed very reasonably.

Justin Tyme
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
With giving Foster an extension, to me it pretty much says Rasho won't be here next season, and that was b4 Rasho ran out of gas.

owl
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm tired of contract year players having a good year only to be a disappointment later not to mention Daniels past health issues. My preference would be to trade him for a big that can bolster the middle, and if not then allow him to leave having his salary come off the cap. I'm not worried about losing his play this year by trading him b4 the trade deadline. Both Rush and Graham can take the PT.

I could not agree more. Or trade for a wing defender. As Thunderbird suggested
Tervor Ariza would fit the Pacers like a glove. The Pacers need a big defender or another
wing defender to pair with Granger.

Anthem
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
W/o a doubt you resign Graham b/c he's a good bench player, he's a good locker room and chemistry guy, he knows JO'B type game, and he can be signed very reasonably.
Absolutely.

YoSoyIndy
01-21-2009, 08:01 AM
They wont be major players in the 2010 FA. Possibly the 2011, when Dunleavy, Murphy and Tinsley's contracts come up

When have we been major players in any FA offseason?

kbills05
01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
we already have a wing defender in Rush...let the kid develop 1st....n Foster should be traded as well w/ McRoberts being more athletic n virtually the same type of player...

PacerGuy
01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif Chad Ford: They are in a very good position. They have A LOT of assets. They have big expiring contracts like Rasho Nesterovic and Marquis Daniels....

Justin, you should call Chad Ford & explain M.Daniels contract to him, he is calling it an "expiring contract" too. That *******!!! :p

I wouldnt want anything to do with Nocioni's contract. Hes getting paid $8 million for this year and his contract goes to 2011 - 2012 (with 2012-2013 being a team option.
Yeah, but it is a decending contract, finishing at 6.5, so it's not horrible, esp if Murph were ever moved, I could see Noc being a fit.

Justin Tyme
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Justin, you should call Chad Ford & explain M.Daniels contract to him, he is calling it an "expiring contract" too. That *******!!! :p

Yeah, but it is a decending contract, finishing at 6.5, so it's not horrible, esp if Murph were ever moved, I could see Noc being a fit.

Why? He wouldn't understand it any better than some on this board!

OakMoses
01-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm still not sure why we would want Travis Outlaw. As of right now he'd be the 3rd best SF on the roster. I don't think that either Dun or Granger is going anywhere. Also, Rush will be a better player than Outlaw within 2 years. I just don't see any reason to bring him here. Channing Frye makes more sense than Outlaw from a need standpoint, but he'll still never be more than a mediocre big off the bench.

I'd love to see Camby come in. He's just as good of a passer as Rasho, but is a much better fit for our defensive system and transition offense.

I could see Cleveland being interested in Daniels. We could get Hickson and Snow.

I was really impressed with Hilton Armstrong on Monday. He's going to be stuck behind West and Chandler, so maybe we could make an offer for him.

I'm not really excited about Drew Gooden, or anybody else on the Bulls other than Thomas and Hinrich.

sloopjohnb
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

They haven't. Unless of course you count the 2005 signing of Sarunus Jasikevicius.

I wouldn't expect much in FA moves this offseason either, and if we do see it, it won't be anyone that is on a lot of teams' radars.

The more the losses keep piling up, the more I get the feeling something is going to happen. Bird wants to win now. If he feels the Pacers are not in position to finish out the season strong and make the playoffs I would think he would do what he can to trade a player or two and start tinkering for next year's lineup. Based on his expectations at the beginning of the season, Bird is looking to make this team better in whatever way possible. He was given a pass last summer and will probably be given another one this summer, but if the Pacers have a record that reflects this year in 2009-10, then Bird's going to be under fire. There is no way he can look at this lineup and feel satisfied with it's ability to compete with the top teams in the league. Injuries or not.

I also don't think Bird will deal a draft pick unless he gets some young and inexpensive players in return, plus a future draft pick in return.

Justin Tyme
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I could see Cleveland being interested in Daniels. We could get Hickson and Snow.

That isn't going to happen. LJ is high on JJ and thinks he can be a future star.

The deal with Snow, IIRC, is the Cavs have already applied for a medical. Once a medical is approved the insurance reinburses the Cavs the salary, so they recoup the money. If Snow is traded, they have to take back salary which costs them the money the insurance would have given them back.

OakMoses
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
That isn't going to happen. LJ is high on JJ and thinks he can be a future star.

We can always dream, right?

Even if that particular deal doesn't happen, I think that's a reasonable asking price for 'Quis: an expiring and a decent, but not spectacular, prospect or late first round pick.

d_c
01-21-2009, 05:47 PM
We can always dream, right?

Even if that particular deal doesn't happen, I think that's a reasonable asking price for 'Quis: an expiring and a decent, but not spectacular, prospect or late first round pick.

Sure it's reasonable, but simply being reasonable doesn't equate to the other teams actually being motivated to make the deal. Otherwise, there would be numerous trades every week in the NBA. In reality, trades are very far and few beteween in this league.

I mean, there are even reasonable scenarios for moving Tinsley, but obviously he hasn't gone anywhere.

GO!!!!!
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
we neeed another O'neal from Portland..

go find him !

ChicagoJ
01-21-2009, 05:58 PM

Ricky Pierce and Eddie Johnson?

:zip:

Damn, I'm getting old.

Jonathan
01-22-2009, 09:51 AM

go find him !

Deandre Jordan is playing very good ball currently for the Clippers.

Roaming Gnome
01-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Ricky Pierce and Eddie Johnson?

:zip:

Damn, I'm getting old.

Were Byron Scott and Sam Perkins also Free Agents?

count55
01-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Were Byron Scott and Sam Perkins also Free Agents?

Yes

ChicagoJ
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Byron was signed in December. I only point that out because YoSoyIndy said "offseason."

Justin Tyme
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM

go find him !

If the player has the skills of JO, that's fine, but forget the JO injuries and baggage.

Jonathan
01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Steve Novak could be the key. Think about him in JOB's system. He is 6'9 shoots the three ball very well & Does not command a lot of money.