PDA

View Full Version : What should the Pacers PA announcer say after a 3

Peck
01-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm trying something new here.

I have a sneaky feeling that we (the members of the digest) might have a way of making our feelings known to the Pacers staff.

I have been following the homerun thread and it seemed like there were some opinions one way or another. So let's see if we can't get an actual vote on this so the team can see where a good block of thier fans stand.

Hoop
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Nothing wrong with a plain simple THREE!. Homerun! is fine also, don't care for any cutesy sayings though.

Pacers#1Fan
01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Home Run sounds like someone that doesn't know the sport trying to talk about it.

Kind of like saying make a basket for baseball
or touch down for soccer

BlueNGold
01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Never cared for home run. I'm not sure why a three even gives rise to a different phrase. I think a blocked shot or a steal is more impressive, for example. Players regularly hit 5 threes in a game, but 5 blocks in a game doesn't happen as often.

I'd go for "Boom Baby" in honor of the great one though.

Suaveness
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
It's not baseball....

Trader Joe
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I HATE the home run thing.

grace
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
As long as Reb is the announcer I think it should remain "homerun." When he retires and someone else takes over then maybe it should be something hip like "chicks dig the long ball."

Evan_The_Dude
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd go for "Boom Baby" in honor of the great one though.

Voted other, and above is what I'd like to hear.

duke dynamite
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Homerun. Grace put it perfectly, it should be this way.

Roaming Gnome
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
We called it the Home Run, because the 3 pointer was exactly that. It brought the fans out of their seats.

Quoted from the book "Loose Balls"

The "Home Run" 3 point shot was something that the ABA took a lot of pride in having. It was something that they used to make the ABA unique from the clog the middle style that was the NBA of the late 60's early 70's. The 3 point shot really was credited for opening the game up.

Reguarding the "Home run" P.A. call, As long as it's Reb doing it... I like it because it actually has some historical significance, as far as this former ABA franchise is concerned. I think it's blasphomy to ask Reb Porter to call the 3 pointer something other then the "Home Run" ball.

When Reb hangs it up, I think it would be the time to look at changing what we call a 3 point make.

duke dynamite
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Good call, Gnome.

Also, if you don't attend the games, then I don't think it is a concern. You can hear it on TV, but barely. It's only fair to those who experience a game live to voice their opinion.

Didn't mean to be harsh, but c'mon here...

ajbry
01-19-2009, 07:46 PM
I voted for a statement for each individual player...

The 3-point bucket is the most dramatic thing in basketball games and the PA needs to act accordingly. Let people know who just hit the basket, rather than just a routine sort of thing for all players...

BTW, my favorite call in sports currently is "It's a V.C. THREEEEEEE" from the Nets. Basketball is a game of swagger - I know, overused term nowadays - and the PA announcer should reflect that.

duke dynamite
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Homerun has it's own swagger. It shows that we have pride in Pacers' Basketball. The history of the franchise is what we have. Showing our roots is next to none.

ajbry
01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
That may be true, but it also sounds outdated and honestly a bit awkward.

I understand the historical significance to it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

duke dynamite
01-19-2009, 07:52 PM
That may be true, but it also sounds outdated and honestly a bit awkward.

I understand the historical significance to it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
It doesn't seem outdated to me. Awkward to those who don't regularly attend, but it makes sense to us regular fans. It is catchy, too. I can prove it.

Even with someone of little knowledge of the team, is now arguing that she feels that it should say, or it's not the same.

Roaming Gnome
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Awkward was the same NJ Nets PA announcer calling Jason Kidd after he scored... That was awkward.
Quise for Threesie... Awkward.
Trey Murphy... It doesn't get anymore awkward.

Doddage
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Home run is Pacers tradition, and as such, it should stay intact.

dal9
01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
How bout "damn it, we just lost another game on a last-second shot!"

Doug
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Quoted from the book "Loose Balls"

The "Home Run" 3 point shot was something that the ABA took a lot of pride in having. It was something that they used to make the ABA unique from the clog the middle style that was the NBA of the late 60's early 70's. The 3 point shot really was credited for opening the game up.

Reguarding the "Home run" P.A. call, As long as it's Reb doing it... I like it because it actually has some historical significance, as far as this former ABA franchise is concerned. I think it's blasphomy to ask Reb Porter to call the 3 pointer something other then the "Home Run" ball.

When Reb hangs it up, I think it would be the time to look at changing what we call a 3 point make.

I agree.

I don't particularly care for 'home run', but I DO care for tradition.

"Home Run" is tradition and should stay that way as long as Reb is doing the call.

I love the "two minutes, two-wah" call. I'm sure some don't care for that. Tough.

Tradition.

Everybody: Tradition!

Also, I sat up by the pep band for the Detroit game. Somebody, I think they were in the band, would call out "HOW MUCH TIME?" right before Reb game the 'two minutes' call. That cracked me up every time. I think I'll try to start that down in my section next time.

Coop
01-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Who cares?

There are bigger things to worry about then what the PA announcer says when we hit a 3.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Who cares?

There are bigger things to worry about then what the PA announcer says when we hit a 3.

Yes and No. Yes, there are, we discuss those in other threads. No, tradition is very very important, and we (Pacers fans) take pretty much everything involving the team very seriously. After all, most of us are just a bunch of basketball crazy Hoosiers.

Easy
01-19-2009, 10:54 PM
"Boom Baby" uniquely belongs to the Pacers (Slick) so that would be preferable--if the PA announcer could pull it off, which wouldn't be easy.

Indiana is a basketball state & shouldn't be using a metaphor from baseball. I'd rather the PA call them "Reggies" than "home runs." "For Three." is adequate, not flashy. The same goes for "From Downtown."

maragin
01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Boom goes the dynamite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no)

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
"Boom Baby" uniquely belongs to the Pacers (Slick) so that would be preferable--if the PA announcer could pull it off, which wouldn't be easy.

Indiana is a basketball state & shouldn't be using a metaphor from baseball. I'd rather the PA call them "Reggies" than "home runs." "For Three." is adequate, not flashy. The same goes for "From Downtown."

How about "from Meridian"?

Suaveness
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe they should get Slick to record "boom baby" and have that played over the PA for each 3

Spirit
01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Dannnyyyyy GRANGERRRRRRRRRRRR (or any other player's name) For Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Would be just fine for me. Maybe with a cool sound affect added in.

BlueNGold
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
As long as we don't adopt the obnoxious style used by Miami's announcers...I can live with it.

Spirit
01-19-2009, 11:56 PM
As long as we don't adopt the obnoxious style used by Miami's announcers...I can live with it. I hate the HEAT announcer.

duke dynamite
01-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Who cares?

Take a page right out of your quote from Tom Crean there, bud.

cinotimz
01-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Not sure tradition needs to be changed. But if so, Boom Baby or Millertime are really the only other things I personally would like to hear.

If you are gonna change tradition, then ok. But lets still be traditional. After all, this is Indiana.

cramerica
01-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Boom Baby would be better for me personally, as I grew up listening to Pacer games on the radio. But it would be weird to hear somebody else say it. I understand the tradition of Homerun but I've never understood it and don't care for it.

theboyjwo
01-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Gosh Homerun really sounds lame and my Girl and I always laugh at it during the games and we always say "Gosh can't he find a better phrase than something from baseball." Honestly Boom Baby is immortal just play the recording of Slick, I have it as a ring tone. If I can get it as a ring tone then Reb Porter should suck it up and push the dang button so we can hear Boom Baby. I'd even settle "From Downtown!" Atleast it makes sense.

I say screw tradition, its the lamest call in all basketball for the 3 pt shot.

ToasterBusVIP
01-20-2009, 04:02 AM
Maybe they should get Slick to record "boom baby" and have that played over the PA for each 3

Exactly! Somehow "Boom Baby!" wouldn't be the same if it wasn't Slick, so I'm all for this. It wouldn't take long I think before that would become a tradition at games and as the years went on that would become a very special part of the Pacers game experience.

Jose Slaughter
01-20-2009, 04:25 AM
I think the recording of Slick calling Boom Baby would be the way to go.

It makes the most sence.

Bball
01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I cannot believe people have such strong negative feelings about this. I'm actually rather shocked. The fact that it's went on so long, has its roots in the ABA, and is a longtime Pacer announcer's schtick just makes it more of a headscratcher to me that it's such a point of debate.

Someone mentioned he should just say "from downtown" because it makes more sense. It does? If we're taking things literally, "from downtown" makes more sense than "home run"? They are both phrases. If anything, 'home run' is more common in everyday language. Example: If a person makes a proposal to someone in a position of power and that person bites on it, it is said of the person making the proposal "He knocked it out of the park" or "he hit a home run". Same goes if someone makes some kind of change and it's successful. Let's say you own a diner and you add a special milkshake to the menu and in a few months the place is packed with people ordering your milkshake. It would be said you hit a 'home run' with your milkshake idea.

So is it really that strange or bad to say "home run" when someone hits a 3 point basket? It's become a turn of phrase applicable to other situations. I don't get the teeth gnashing.

As for "boom baby". The reasons for it are the same as 'home run'. The reasons against it would be the same... or worse. The reason for it would be tied to 'tradition'. But against it would be "what the heck does that mean?". "It's not a sports term". "Baby? Boom?" "What does boom baby have to do with a made basket?" "It sounds like they are shooting babies!"

Point being, you can over analyze any of these terms if you want to be literal about it. This isn't life and death and the balance of the game doesn't hang on Reb's call.

I have no problem with "from downtown", "for three", "three pointer", "ring it", "THREE!" etc... but I have no problem with "home run" either. Especially since it's so entrenched in Reb's call of Pacers games and now Pacer history.

IOW.... I agree with Grace and Gnome.

-Bball

duke dynamite
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for that, Bball.

D23
01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Homerun is pretty good, but I've always been partial to "from down town" since it's widely accepted in the basketball world. If not that, I think a simple "for three" would be my next favorite expression. Keep it simple :)

nerveghost
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
What should the announcer say after a made three pointer - um..."Pacers lose?";)

Pacers#1Fan
01-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I would love to here a recording of Slick's "BOOM BABY!"

You want tradition, there you have it. That's authentic Pacers' basketball

Haven't noticed him lately but did the Detroit announcer get on anyone else's nerves?
DEEETTTTRROITTT BBBBAAAASSSKKKKEEETTTBBAALLLLLLLL would always make me cringe, whether it was against the Pacers or not.

grace
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Haven't noticed him lately but did the Detroit announcer get on anyone else's nerves?

Does the sun rise in the east?

Roaming Gnome
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM

You want tradition, there you have it. That's authentic Pacers' basketball

DEEETTTTRROITTT BBBBAAAASSSKKKKEEETTTBBAALLLLLLLL would always make me cringe, whether it was against the Pacers or not.

Nope, I love Mason (Detroit's PA announcer). I know his style isn't for everyone or every market, but going to a game in Detroit... I found Mason a lot of fun.

count55
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I think if you notice the PA announcer, then it's a bad thing.

Roaming Gnome
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I think if you notice the PA announcer, then it's a bad thing.

I completely disagree. IMO, I think some of the PA announcers add a fun element to the game.

I'm willing to acknowledge that I may be the only one that thinks this, but I actually like the PA announcers and listen to the different styles when I hit road games.

Kid Minneapolis
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
The phrase that really needs to be changed is:

"Granger heads to the bench for a blow".

I mean, I find it funny and all, and I'm not easily offended or anything, but seriously, there could be a better way to describe someone getting a "break" or a "breather". I cringe every time I hear Slick or Kellogg say it, lol, even though I crack up everytime they do. It just never gets unfunny.

"Diener off the bench to give Jack a blow". I mean, it's just so wrong.

duke dynamite
01-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I completely disagree. IMO, I think some of the PA announcers add a fun element to the game.

I'm willing to acknowledge that I may be the only one that thinks this, but I actually like the PA announcers and listen to the different styles when I hit road games.
I've never been to a live NBA game outside of Indianapolis, and am hoping to hit up the United Center when the P's play the Bulls on the 28th of March.

Who's comin' with me!?

naptownmenace
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM

I love the BOOM BABY and Reggie ideas. Boom Baby would be truly awesome if Reb could just hit a button and play the Slick sound byte.

Unclebuck
01-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Dannnyyyyy GRANGERRRRRRRRRRRR (or any other player's name) For Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Would be just fine for me. Maybe with a cool sound affect added in.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, please NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That is what every annoying PA guy from Clveland to orlando to Miami screams. Not sure which is the worst. Right now Miami probably is. Orlando started it though

duke dynamite
01-20-2009, 05:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, please NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That is what every annoying PA guy from Clveland to orlando to Miami screams. Not sure which is the worst. Right now Miami probably is. Orlando started it though
That and add some weird futuristic starburst sound behind it...

ToasterBusVIP
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I cannot believe people have such strong negative feelings about this. I'm actually rather shocked. The fact that it's went on so long, has its roots in the ABA, and is a longtime Pacer announcer's schtick just makes it more of a headscratcher to me that it's such a point of debate.

First of all, I don't exactly hate the "home run!" call. It's not bad and the fact that it has some history and tradition makes it better than a lot of other PA calls. However, unlike the "boom baby!" call, I don't think "home run" makes sense to as many of the casual fans.

As for "boom baby". The reasons for it are the same as 'home run'. The reasons against it would be the same... or worse. The reason for it would be tied to 'tradition'. But against it would be "what the heck does that mean?". "It's not a sports term". "Baby? Boom?" "What does boom baby have to do with a made basket?" "It sounds like they are shooting babies!"

Again, it's something I'd wager is more instantly recognizable to the casual Pacer fans, and this call at least is entirely unique to our team and our history.

BPump33
01-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I voted for "Home Run," but I wouldn't be opposed to a recording of Slick, either.

Honestly, the only words I care about hearing are "Pacers Win, Pacers Win."

jhondog28
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I personally think they should get away from emphasizing the three ball anyway. How about giving out a special call when a great defensive play is made such as ....... "Granger..gets it outta here!" or "Dunleavy with the charge!" "Say hello to Senor Hibbert" I know it will never happen but thought it would be original since no other announcer gives catchy gimicks on defensive plays. Especially since that is really what we need.

Bball
01-20-2009, 08:11 PM
First of all, I don't exactly hate the "home run!" call. It's not bad and the fact that it has some history and tradition makes it better than a lot of other PA calls. However, unlike the "boom baby!" call, I don't think "home run" makes sense to as many of the casual fans.

Again, it's something I'd wager is more instantly recognizable to the casual Pacer fans, and this call at least is entirely unique to our team and our history.

But my point is that you're looking at the same problem down the road. Right now, today, next week... fans will know what Boom Baby means. 5 years from now? 10?

It's just like how (apparently) the origins of 'homerun' faded into the landscape to the point people are now taking it literally and complaining about it. And that for a phrase that has some connection to popular uses nationwide AND has been part of the longtime announcer's schtick for a long time. I don't see Boom Baby being any better... if not worse as it's connection to this era fades away into memory.

Also, Slick, even as hornery as he might be, isn't going to live forever. I'm not sure if I want to hear a recording of Slick's "Boom Baby" being played after he has passed (hopefully he has MANY MANY more years to go before that is an issue).

Boom Baby would be just as questioned 10 years from now as 'homerun' is right now. At this point, homerun actually has some continuity to it.

And I remember some people saying "Boom Baby" should be retired with Reggie. ....Just one more factor to consider.

-Bball

El Pacero
01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
I think this spirited debate is due to a lot of people never going to a game, or just recently starting to go to Pacers games, and they're new to Reb's "home run." They always heard "Boom Baby" on the radio or "From Downtown" on TV.

I didn't like "Home Run" either at first. I hated it. I laughed at it and thought what the heck? After going to a lot of games, it grew on me and I love yelling it now. The last home game Reb was trying out "Threeeeeee" and it sounded kind of wimpy and I missed the "Home Run" - so I guess you can't make anyone happy.

When I got the 1970 ABA Championship Series for Christmas the "Home Run" made a lot more sense. On the top of the backboard they used to have a hilarious glass ABA basketball with a light in it that went off whenever anyone hit a "Home Run." And yes, it was marketed as Home Run and made the game a lot more exciting compared to the NBA at the time. And we were one of the best in the league.

So, I say Reb please stick with your "Home Run" - but if you want to hit a button whenever Danny hits a three to let us hear a good ole' Boom Baby, it would be awesome, too. It would be cool to have our "star player" get the Boom Baby after a three, like Slick usually did for Reggie, and it would be a really special way to keep that Boom Baby alive once it can't come from the man himself.

Haggard
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Why should there even be a typical 'call' for a three pointer?
The three pointer is such a common play theses days does it really merit having its own thing?

That aside, some sort of sound effect would be best. I've been to games which have a sound effect play and it works well. Boom baby would probably work too..

I don't see why 'home run' is so popular. It makes no sense to a game of basketball.

duke dynamite
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, Reb last night said Homerun for the most part, except for when Murph hit it a few times...lol

I'm glad things are close to back to normal.

mboyle1313
01-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Debaters,

Count me among those that think Mason is fabulous. For my money, Mason and Lawrence Tanter with the Lakers are, far and away, the two best PA guys in our league.

I despise the guys that do nothing buy scream, which covers about 98% of the NBA PA types. Mason is loud, and while some might find him obnoxious, he has a style and a certain flair, which is more that you can say about most of these guys.

MJB

duke dynamite
01-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the insight, MJB.

Listening on TV, I just don't see how some fans in other cities put up with the annoying bells and whistles that go on after a shot falls or someone makes a great play. I mean it's nice to cheer and be loud, but I can't seem to understand what some of the PA announcers are saying sometimes.

mboyle1313
01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Duke,

Listening on TV? Don't you mean watching on TV with the sound down and listening to the radio broadcast?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.....

MJB

duke dynamite
01-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Duke,

Listening on TV? Don't you mean watching on TV with the sound down and listening to the radio broadcast?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.....

MJB
I wish I had a radio in the house. Denari is fun to listen to as well...

Living in Bedford, there are only a couple of stations that play the games, and sometimes they don't even bother to broadcast them (That or do not come in clearly). 1340 AM, and 96.5 FM I think.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm in the car, I listen until the signal goes out...:cry:

And I tried very hard to get into the call in show last night, and I couldn't! I'm trying very hard to be a regular.

:laugh:

SilverStrife
01-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I voted for Home Run, my reason being: When I'm at the game, I hear that, that screams to me excitement. Much as a home run in baseball gets a crowd on their feet and cheering, a three by the home team has the same effect. You can't tell me when Murphy sinks one from the top of the arch, you don't get excited. =P

duke dynamite
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
I voted for Home Run, my reason being: When I'm at the game, I hear that, that screams to me excitement. Much as a home run in baseball gets a crowd on their feet and cheering, a three by the home team has the same effect. You can't tell me when Murphy sinks one from the top of the arch, you don't get excited. =P
lol

Bball
01-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I wish I had a radio in the house. Denari is fun to listen to as well...

Living in Bedford, there are only a couple of stations that play the games, and sometimes they don't even bother to broadcast them (That or do not come in clearly). 1340 AM, and 96.5 FM I think.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm in the car, I listen until the signal goes out...:cry:

And I tried very hard to get into the call in show last night, and I couldn't! I'm trying very hard to be a regular.

:laugh:

Use the internet audio....

-Bball

duke dynamite
01-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Use the internet audio....

-Bball
Man, sometimes that doesn't even have our commentators... :P

Also, I don't want my audio coming from behind me on my computer speakers when I'm staring at a huge TV...it's very awkward.

Brad8888
01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Duke,

Tsk, tsk, tsk.....

MJB

I am a fan of yours when I am able to listen to you, and I realize that you are not personally responsible for the following, but...

Those of us who live past approximately a 20 minute drive from the transmitter don't have any truly viable options to listen to 1070 after sundown, other than online (and I only assume that 1070 is available online). Even then, unless you happen to live where you can get a reliable high speed connection (which mine is not), which some of us don't, it is still not possible. Many of us were happy to hear that WIBC was transferring to FM, mainly due to the exact fact that sports coverage in general and Pacers games and coverage in particular would suddenly be available when it had not been previously.

The decision to leave the Pacers on 1070 was, and continues to be, extremely disappointing, especially since the underserved rural areas that don't have access to cable and choose over the air instead of satellite for television coverage due to cost or reliability factors would be quite loyal followers of your broadcasts. It also would assist the franchise in winning back more fans who continue to be alienated by the decision of the Pacers and WTTV not to continue their relationship, without which the Pacers would not have had the fanbase they had during the post telethon days through the early 1990's.

I am quite certain that there are intricacies to this contractually and otherwise that led to this, but it is still disappointing nonetheless.

mboyle1313
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Brad,

Valid concerns, and I wish I had an answer that could alleviate all concerns in this area.

Though I don't speak for the franchise or Emmis Communications on this matter, I'm hoping that we will aggressively pursue having the games simulcast on 1070 and WIBC FM at our next contractual opportunity. In the meantime, I would suggest using nba.com to hear the games. There are drawbacks, most noticebaly the intellectually challenged folks at Turner who have taken over the site and occasionally make the broadcasts unavailable for reasons beyond my comprehension, but it's still the most viable way to access our broadcasts if you're outside the range of WIBC or one of our affiliates.

Hope this helps.

MJB

Major Cold
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Last night the announcer said threeeee like weeeee!!!
<object width="425" height="344">
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cOeeow8OjQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<embed style="display: none;" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BorQ_ULcvss&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
Adult language warning. Gonads and strife.

Spirit
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM

That would get annoying, quick.

Major Cold
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Brad,

Valid concerns, and I wish I had an answer that could alleviate all concerns in this area.

Though I don't speak for the franchise or Emmis Communications on this matter, I'm hoping that we will aggressively pursue having the games simulcast on 1070 and WIBC FM at our next contractual opportunity. In the meantime, I would suggest using nba.com to hear the games. There are drawbacks, most noticebaly the intellectually challenged folks at Turner who have taken over the site and occasionally make the broadcasts unavailable for reasons beyond my comprehension, but it's still the most viable way to access our broadcasts if you're outside the range of WIBC or one of our affiliates.

Hope this helps.

MJB
Why no affliates in the Northeastern part of the state? And how come I can't get WIBC in Anderson after the game but I get WOWO out of Fort Wayne?

Roaming Gnome
01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Why no affliates in the Northeastern part of the state? And how come I can't get WIBC in Anderson after the game but I get WOWO out of Fort Wayne?
I can easily tell you about the Pacers relationship with WOWO and broadcasting in the Fort Wayne market. WOWO is a true 50,000 Watt radio station that isn't required to power down by the FCC. As far as radio market share, it is the top dog in the Fort Wayne market as far as the AM side of the dial is concerned.

About a decade ago, I actually lived next door to one of the high ups at WOWO in Fort Wayne. He explained to me that the Pacers wanted their radio network on WOWO, but WOWO serves the Fort Wayne Komets hockey franchise on a "pay for play" basis. At that time WOWO wasn't interested because the station stood to make more money with the Hockey broadcast. Anyway, there was more fear of backlash to moving the "hometown team" for an Indy team that had a smaller following locally. At that time, other stations that were breaking into the"sports talk" niche were courting the Pacers, but PS&E wasn't interested in having their radio network on one of the smaller stations in the area.

Bball
01-24-2009, 05:25 PM
At that time, other stations that were breaking into the"sports talk" niche were courting the Pacers, but PS&E wasn't interested in having their radio network on one of the smaller stations in the area.

...Because, of course, having no market presence at all is a better option... :confused:

-Bball

Major Cold
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Gnome. That sucks but not as bad as hockey.

Pacers
01-24-2009, 05:52 PM
WOWO is absolutely required to power down at night, and does:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WOWO

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WOWO_AM_LD.gif

vs.

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WOWO_AM_LN.gif

WOWO goes from 50K during the day to about 10K at night. The reason you get WOWO from Ft. Wayne is because of how the station is required to "Go Directional" at night, same with why you can no longer get WFNI.

Have you tried looking for other stations that are a part of the Pacers Network? You may find a station that carries the games that you only get at night that you could listen to for the games.

On topic, I say we keep "Homerun" until Reb moves on, and then we alternate his HR and Slicks "Boom Baby".

Spirit
01-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I actually have changed my mind on this.. Reb just doesn't sound right without his "HomeRun". I like that it has history too, and it's not like it's annoying or anything. I say we stick to homerun.

Roaming Gnome
01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
WOWO is absolutely required to power down at night, and does:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WOWO

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WOWO_AM_LD.gif

vs.

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WOWO_AM_LN.gif

WOWO goes from 50K during the day to about 10K at night. The reason you get WOWO from Ft. Wayne is because of how the station is required to "Go Directional" at night, same with why you can no longer get WFNI.

Have you tried looking for other stations that are a part of the Pacers Network? You may find a station that carries the games that you only get at night that you could listen to for the games.

On topic, I say we keep "Homerun" until Reb moves on, and then we alternate his HR and Slicks "Boom Baby".

Sorry if I was a little misleading, that was not my intent. My info was relating to 12 years ago when I lived in Fort Wayne. At that time, they were not obligated to "power down".

After further review... WOWO was required to "Power Down" in 1999.

Bball
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking it needs to be like this:
Pacer player hits a 3 point shot.
Reb: "Hoooooooooooome Run! Due to public confusion with the term Home Run PS&E requires me to state that the reference is a local term to indicate a 3 point basket made by the home team and is in no way intended to indicate or imply a baseball is in play nor is it intended to infringe upon Major League Baseball, nor any other entity, any copyrights or trademarks they may hold."

Major Cold
01-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Liar.....

Does the power down look like a fat guy?

Roaming Gnome
01-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Liar.....

Does the power down look like a fat guy?

Nah, when I look at it like that... Kinda reminds me of Bluto's head.

Bluto = Bad guy from Popeye cartoons.

MyFavMartin
01-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Why can't they do Boom Baby?

nerveghost
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I heard a new one at the Charlotte game by Reb:

"Danny Granger....DOWNTOWN!!"

I don't think it was specific to Granger - Reb was just trying it out. Can't put stock into the crowd reaction because no one was there :(

nerveghost
01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I forgot to mention when I was at a game this year and a fan for the opposing team stood up and yelled "THIS ISN'T BASEBALL!!" after someone hit a three.

He was either annoyed or trying to be funny. Couldn't tell which.

Raoul Duke
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I've never been to a live NBA game outside of Indianapolis, and am hoping to hit up the United Center when the P's play the Bulls on the 28th of March.

Who's comin' with me!?

I'll be at that game for sure. The United Center sucks though.

ChicagoJ
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Why can't they do Boom Baby?

Slick copyrighted it. They'd have to pay him a royalty each time they used it. Once Reb retires, I think they should do exactly that.

MrSparko
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Did he really copyright it? That's awesome.

ChicagoJ
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
My Boom, Baby t-shirt from the '94 playoffs says

(c) Slick Leonard Enterprises

on it.

(Or at least I think that's the exact language - I can pull it out of the drawer tonight and check it.)

Don't forget, Pat Riley owns the phrase "Threepeat", so he made a lot of money on the Chicago Bulls Threepeat merchandise while he still coached the Knicks.

Bball
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
copyright... or trademark?

ChicagoJ
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Good point. You'd think, with all the intellectual property work I do, that I would get that right...

I'll have to pull out the old t-shirt and look at it.

HeliumFear
01-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Wish I would have seen this topic sooner. I would have voted <i>statement associated with player, ie Quisy for threesy, Trey Murphy</i>.

*Granger makes three*

<b><i>DAAANGEEER! DANNY GRANGER!</i></b>

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Downtown was used last night and it actually sounded awkward to me. It might be that I'm used to and enjoy hearing home run, but it just didn't sound right.

Major Cold
01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I would have copyrighted it as well.

Bball
01-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Good point. You'd think, with all the intellectual property work I do, that I would get that right...

I'll have to pull out the old t-shirt and look at it.

He might've claimed a copyright on the artwork on the T-Shirt and not so much the "Boom Baby" catch phrase.

If he did claim a copyright on the catch phrase "Boom Baby" it would be awfully hard to enforce.... or to even 'officially' register it. Obviously, one can claim 'copyright' without registering it.

ChicagoJ
01-27-2009, 07:59 PM
It only matters for commercialization and profit. Its not like he can stop someone from just saying it, just for making money on it. That's why I think it was a copyright.