PDA

View Full Version : A question for you Pac-10 guys

Kegboy
06-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Can anyone give me a scouting report on Josh Childress? Only cbb I watch nowadays is Purdue and the tournament, and since Stanford got bounced so early... :unimpressed:

The reason why I ask is, when the "Al for Chicago's 3rd pick" trade came up, I blew it off, cause everything I've heard is that past Okafor and Howard, this draft, well, sucks.

However, now that the P's are out and I've turned my attention to the draft, Childress' name keeps popping up. He's supposedly doing really well in workouts, he's listed at 6'8" (so I won't pull a Ben Gordon on him :blush:), and from everything I've read, he's a legit swingman with range.

So then, for those who've seen him, do you think he's starting two-guard material? Not right away, I know he's a rook, but considering he was in a good program for a few years means we shouldn't have to wait forever for him, I would assume.

Thoughts?

dipperdunk
06-06-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi Keg, heres a good breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses and includes images; its a very good site for anybody interested in the draft prospects. In their mock they have him going at #9 to the sixers; rumor in Philly is that King and O'Brien both want him but with his great workout in Cleveland his stock is rising and he may not be around at 9.

http://www.draftcity.com/joshchildress.htm

sweabs
06-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I think Childress is an awesome player and will be a good guy to have in the NBA. He's a big guy with some nice range on his shot...and can penetrate, and give the nice pull up jumper. I liked him from what I saw of him during the tournament...and he has cool hair.

Kegboy
06-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi Keg, heres a good breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses and includes images; its a very good site for anybody interested in the draft prospects. In their mock they have him going at #9 to the sixers; rumor in Philly is that King and O'Brien both want him but with his great workout in Cleveland his stock is rising and he may not be around at 9.

http://www.draftcity.com/joshchildress.htm

Thanks, that is a really nice site.

Well, I'll copy his strengths and weaknesses below, and discuss:

Strengths

Josh Childress is the prototype for the new wave of NBA wing players. He gets it done in almost every way possible, just an extremely versatile player, silky smooth yet very active and aggressive everywhere on the court and loves to hustle and do the little things. He's a great rebounder for his position because of his athleticism and wingspan, he averaged over 8 rebounds a game last year in the Pac-10. Childress has solid handles, and he will bring the ball up the court sometimes for the Cardinals and play a point forward type role.He's a terrific athlete, fast and explosive, gets up and down the court in a flash and jumps with the best of them. His first step is lightning quick and finishes well when he gets to the hoop. If you don't box him out on the offensive glass he'll jump over you and put it right back with a thunderous dunk. What really sets him apart from other prospects in the draft, though, is the type of defender he can become in the NBA, he has an awesome wingspan (around 7 feet) and he really uses it to get in the passing lanes and block shots. Has the ability to lock down his man if he wants to and his lateral quickness is excellent. Childress has a great attitude towards the game and a good head on his shoulders like most Stanford athletes.

Hmm, sounds like a more dedicated Prince.

But...

Weaknesses

Needs to put on significant weight, get bigger and tougher. He isn't strong enough to match up with most of the Small Forwards in the league right now. Problem is it doesn't look like he has the right frame for that. Has a slightly untraditional shooting form, kind of like Shawn Marion. He flings the ball at the basket more then he shoots it. This could cause him some problems in the pros if it's scouted and attacked but Childress has shown the ability to adjust to his defender and get his shot off in different ways.His outside shooting in general isn't even close to being NBA caliber yet. He doesn't shoot that much from the outside and when he does it's generally on a low percentage (31% so far in his career at Stanford). Shot selection in general could stand to improve. Only shot 37% from the field last season. His lack of an outside shot was often exploited by opposing teams; they will sometimes lay off and not let him use his quick first step to get to the basket, which takes away a lot of his game. His passing could stand to improve. He has the physical tools to be an excellent post entry passer but hasn't really showed that yet.Hasn't been very consistent at Stanford so far, has had some big games mixed in with a couple of games where he disappeared. Needs to be more assertive on offense.

Uh, okay. Granted, this appears to have been written during last season, not afterwards. But still, how in the hell is everyone talking about what a great shooter he is???? The last thing we need is a shooting guard who can't shoot. :mad:

Lastly,

Comments

Best Case Scenario: Eddie Jones (minus the shooting), Tayshaun Prince
Worst Case Scenario: Chris Jeffries, Laron Profit

So, sounds like a nice player, but now that I've seen real numbers on his shooting, can't say I'm interested.

kerosene
06-06-2004, 01:55 PM
He could probably use another year in college to work on his shooting and game but the time is right for him to come out now so he is. He should be able to contribute right away. Pretty much everything everyone said above is right on. The Prince comparison is a pretty good one really.

Roy Munson
06-06-2004, 06:59 PM
I'd take Luke Jackson over Josh Childress. I know that most projections have Childress going before Jackson, but I think Jackson will be a better pro. In fact, I think he'd make a great Pacer.

Jackson is a much better shooter than Childress. Childress is more athletic and a better rebounder.