PDA

View Full Version : Bob Kravitz, A father's guiding hand

Will Galen
01-18-2009, 05:02 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS04

This is a column about Danny Granger. It has some things in it I didn't know. For instant I thought Danny was married, but he's not, he's engaged.

It also explains why Danny won't put up with being pushed around.

PaceBalls
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
A Very interesting article, I knew Danny came from a Jehavahs Witness family, but I really didn't know much else. I wonder if he is still a practicing JW? I keep waiting for Danny to come knocking on my door with some literature :))

I love a good story of folks overcoming adversity. It's good to see Danny so godblessed.

aceace
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
These are my favorite stories to read. I can't believe that with Danny's success this year that ESPN has not played the fiddle to this story.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
These are my favorite stories to read. I can't believe that with Danny's success this year that ESPN has not played the fiddle to this story.

They will. Give them time, like when football season ends.

Also it's quite possible Danny could still be a JW, but I wonder how orthodox he is because to JW's playing professional sports is somewhat frowned upon, but not against the religion like most people claim.

SoupIsGood
01-18-2009, 01:26 PM
And out of nowhere, Kravitz bangs out an incredible article. Where did that come from? Great stuff. Senior's a beast.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
The story is pretty good. I never really cared much for Kravitz until I started listening to his radio show. When compared to Eddie, he's quite tolerable.

ajbry
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
That's some great journalism coupled with an even better story.

I had never quite been aware of Danny's upbringing - at least in the sense the article conveys - so Kravitz really did a service to all Pacers fans.

Ownagedood
01-18-2009, 01:41 PM
A Very interesting article, I knew Danny came from a Jehavahs Witness family, but I really didn't know much else. I wonder if he is still a practicing JW? I keep waiting for Danny to come knocking on my door with some literature :))

I love a good story of folks overcoming adversity. It's good to see Danny so godblessed.

Haha no, im pretty sure he isn't still doing it... I am a jehovah's witness myself. :)

BlueNGold
01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
The article explains a lot. Gotta respect Mr. Granger.

xtacy
01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
great article. granger is a great guy coming from a great family.

imawhat
01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Google Street Danny's childhood house

Smoothdave1
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Great article this morning. I spoke to Granger Senior a few months ago at length in the Best Locker Room after a game and he was incredibly nice and respectful gentleman. We discussed living in Indy, the Pacers a little and he had talked at that time about buying some land on the outskirts of Indy as he wanted a couple of horses.

The thing I really liked about the article was the work ethic that Senior passed on to Jr. Danny has worked his tail off the past few years during the summer and practice and is reaping the rewards on the basketball court.

Maybe we can get Boyle to say "Jr. (Dunleavy) passes it to Jr. (Granger)?" haha

More than anything else, Indy has a player who has embraced Indy and that they can be proud of. I think back to an old quote from Reggie after the Pacers first advanced in the playoffs as he said something along the lines of "fans, don't worry, you can get your Pacers gear back out of the closet and feel proud to wear it"

YoSoyIndy
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
The story is pretty good. I never really cared much for Kravitz until I started listening to his radio show. When compared to Eddie, he's quite tolerable.

Kravitz is so soft on the radio show. He'll get guests on (i.e., Bird) and not ask any direct questions until after the guest is done w/ the call. He's pathetic. He does the least amount of work to not get fired.

You're right, though. Eddie makes him look good. Eddie is actually going to save ol' Kravee from being the scapegoat for the low ratings of their show.

Anyone who likes Kravitz likes controversy w/ no real substance.

BobbyMac
01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
This is a great story about Danny's dad....It's also a bit sad, because it shows how good a writer little Bobby can be when he doesn't take cheap shots a people. Perhaps he's going to become a good sports writer after all...

imawhat
01-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Btw, very good story. It's really hard for me to empathize with this story because the idea of every day life being such a risk is foreign, to me. Danny Sr. is nothing short of a hero for his three kids.

I wonder how much $ Danny Sr. got for the movie Gran Torino. The previews for that movie make it look like DGSR's biopic.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-19-2009, 01:40 AM
I wonder how much $ Danny Sr. got for the movie Gran Torino. The previews for that movie make it look like DGSR's biopic.

I was thinking something similar when I was reading the story.

Also Gran Torino is a fantastic movie.

duke dynamite
01-19-2009, 02:26 AM
This is a great story about Danny's dad....It's also a bit sad, because it shows how good a writer little Bobby can be when he doesn't take cheap shots a people. Perhaps he's going to become a good sports writer after all...
Don't hold your breath.

Even I do something miraculous in the midst of idiocy.

D23
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Google Street Danny's childhood house

Excellent article. Really explains a lot. The world needs more people like Senior. Oh, and I had the same idea about looking up Danny's childhood house on Google maps. Wow, he isn't joking about the neighborhood. There's a direct link below... anyone else notice the Escalade parked at the house on the South end of the street? Makes me wonder... :(

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=805+S.+Cumberland&sll=29.97678,-90.231115&sspn=0.000518,0.002065&ie=UTF8&ll=29.976294,-90.232333&spn=0.004145,0.016522&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=29.976298,-90.232328&panoid=KxTET4VVXUxmVGwPipXEyg&cbp=11,114.35562465239735,,0,3.406572006750666

Anthem
01-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Tell me it's just coincidence that this story comes out a few days after we have a thread on the topic.

duke dynamite
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Like I said in my thread about meeting Mr. Granger, he seemed like we was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

It also appears that he is the kind of guy that instills character. I've noticed that Danny has been getting a temper lately, and I'm wondering if he's been getting scolded...lol

I'll have to ask him the next time I bump into him...lol