PDA

View Full Version : Are We Shaping Our Team to be like Orlando or San Antonio?

MillerTime
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I was just thinking of the way our team is shaping out to be. If we were able to get a good post player, I could see the Pacers shaping to be like the Magic or even the Spurs. Where you have one post player (Duncan/Dwight) and you surround him with shooters and a PG (Nelson/Parker) that can penetrate or hit mid-range jumpers (like Ford does).

I dont know why I thought of this, just if you look at our roster, we have really good 3 point shooters (with Dunleavy, Granger, and Murphy), a PG that could knock down mid-range jumpers and penetrate (with Ford), all it seems is that we're missing a great post player.

It seems similar to San Antonio and Orlando's offense

pianoman
01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
thats what we are hoping hibbert develops into

Doddage
01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Hibbert looks really unpolished right now, so if we want him to be an inside presence for us, he's got some work cut out ahead of him. He doesn't have nearly the potential that Duncan or Howard did/do, though.

Spirit
01-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Um, I don't think we're ever going to find someone of Duncan or Howards caliber. That's like saying the Thunder would be a lot like the Cavs if they had someone like Lebron.

MillerTime
01-17-2009, 02:08 PM
but do you guys see us being that kind of team? That has one dominant C and shooters are him?

Doddage
01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Once we have that dominant C, we can talk.

Kstat
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
but do you guys see us being that kind of team? That has one dominant C and shooters are him?

you have no acquire a dominant center before you can even have the discussion.

MillerTime
01-17-2009, 02:37 PM
we're most likely going to have to get a player through the draft. Blake Griffin is probably a long shot. If we're lucky we could get Greg Monroe.

OR maybe some team would like Quis and Rasho as expirers and would like to give us a C

Coop
01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
No.

flox
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
No. I can see us being more of a Suns team than a Spurs/Orlando team.

MillerTime
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
No. I can see us being more of a Suns team than a Spurs/Orlando team.

Ive hated the run and gun style teams. Ive been more into defensive minded teams. Offense wins game Defense win championships

Roy Munson
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
The team that the Pacers most resemble is the Golden State Warriors. They lose a lot of high scoring games. Only the Warriors and Sacramento give up more ppg than the Pacers.

MillerTime
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
The team that the Pacers most resemble is the Golden State Warriors. They lose a lot of high scoring games. Only the Warriors and Sacramento give up more ppg than the Pacers.

Thats not good company to be in

SoupIsGood
01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
If this rebuild of the Pacers ever turns into a great team, chances are Granger will be the only key player still on it. (Ford doesn't appreciate being a backup, and Dunleavy is too redundant if we're talking about being 50+ wins good.) So, who know what we'll look like. Waiting to draft an all-word post players is a bad idea, though. We'd be waiting awhile.

flox
01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Ive hated the run and gun style teams. Ive been more into defensive minded teams. Offense wins game Defense win championships

Well, we'll need a lot of changes for our teams to change into Orlando/SA. I'm just staying that even if we get Griffen/Monroe, our build will be more similar to old Suns. Just because Murphy and Dunleavy are poor half court defenders and lose some of their edge in the halfcourt, and I'm not sold on Granger being a good player offensively in the halfcourt situation.

flox
01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Thats not good company to be in

Of course, we are actually 23rd in league defense when it turns into pace adjusted. Not too good, but better than 28th, which is what points-allowed implies.

CableKC
01-17-2009, 07:52 PM
The only way that resemble the Magic is in the # of 3pt attempts and FGs that we take....other then that....we don't resemble them at all......they actually play very solid interior and perimeter defense and actually have a huge interior athletic shotblocking rebounding presense inside the paint that their other defenders can funnel the opposing team to.

If anything, JO'B would have been in heaven coaching the Magic....they takes high % of 3pt and FG Attempts while keeping the opposing team's FG% very low both on the road and at home.

vnzla81
01-18-2009, 12:51 AM
the only way to be like orlando or San Antonio is to have another coach a reliable PG and have a really good PF or Center

jeffg-body
01-18-2009, 01:26 AM
thats what we are hoping hibbert develops into

You never know, Hibbert and McBob both are really young and could develop into solid players. Hibbert has all of the tools to be that dominant defensive presence but he seems a little tentative right now to show it.

McBob is a very raw athletic player that is an "energy monster". If he can channel his emotion a bit better and relax a bit good things may come to him.

Rush has flashes of the guy we drafted to be. He is also showing the classic signs of "rookieism". Call it hitting the wall of whatever but Rush is just a bit out of sync. Give them this year to play a little better and next year we should see some gains.

Take away Danny, Dunleavy and Ford from the list and open the rest left over as trade bait for that young power forward and young 2 guard that has potential (we'll never land a top tier shooting guard right now.