PDA

View Full Version : Bidding for first All-Star berth - (Danny Granger)

CompACE
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
He actually mentions four other possible allstars, If you want to see them just click on the link I guess - I know this is probably just reinforcing everything we already know about Granger, but it was a good read nonetheless.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/01/16/weekly.countdown/index.html?eref=T1

Danny Granger, Pacers. Here is one guy who deserves to make the All-Star team outright. Indiana's small forward is averaging 26.4 points to go with 5.2 rebounds and 3.4 assists. Granger is a mystery to much of a country -- how often does anyone outside Indiana consistently see the Pacers on TV? -- so it would be worthwhile to see how he does in the milieu of the LeBrons, Kobes and Wades.

Pacers president Larry Bird is holding his 25-year-old forward to the highest standards.

"He's been awfully good for us,'' Bird said. "He can become a lockdown defender, a great defender, and when he gets 10 rebounds, I'm happier than those nights when he gets the 40 points. In the next couple of years, he has the ability to make players better around him.''

Other potential first-timers who have earned consideration at small forward include Hedo Turkoglu, Tayshaun Prince, Andre Iguodala and Kevin Durant. That Turkoglu's numbers (16.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists) are down from last year shouldn't be held against him; consider his irreplaceable contributions to the Magic (31-8), who are fighting with the Cavaliers and Celtics to be No. 1 in the East.

Prince's rebounding numbers are up dramatically, to 7.2 per game, and he's also averaging more points and assists (14.5 and 3.2) as the Pistons rely on him to see them through the rough transition following the trade for Allen Iverson. He won't make the All-Star team, but he deserves a kind thought. Iguodala (17.1 points, 6.1 rebounds, 5.3 assists) is an emerging all-around talent on a losing team. Durant (23.7 points) looks like a star, but there is no way anyone from the league's worst team will break through to the crowded Western roster.

YoSoyIndy
01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's my first "fixed"...

Granger is a mystery to much of a country -- how often does anyone inside or outside of Indiana consistently see the Pacers? -- so it would be worthwhile to see how he does in the milieu of the LeBrons, Kobes and Wades.

Blink
01-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Here's my first "fixed"...

Well done.:thumbup:

JayRedd
01-17-2009, 01:28 PM
He's a lock.

imawhat
01-17-2009, 02:44 PM
He's a lock.

Anyone remember the Gilbert Arenas snub in '05-'06?
29.3 pts, 6.1 ast, 2.0 stl.

I would say Arenas looked more like a lock on that team than Granger does on this.

Granger obviously deserves it, but if he doesn't make, it won't even be the worst snub of the past 5 years.

Los Angeles
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM

I would say Arenas looked more like a lock on that team than Granger does on this.

Granger obviously deserves it, but if he doesn't make, it won't even be the worst snub of the past 5 years.

Key ingredient = best player on a bad team.

JayRedd
01-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Good point.

But still, their personalities and general standing among the NBA coaching collective isn't exactly equivalent. While we would like to imagine it should be a pure meritocracy, that stuff comes into play.

I don't have specific evidence to back this up, but from everything I've ever heard, read or seen insinuated, Danny Granger is universally lauded throughout this league. He plays "the right way" and is "a good kid." Every coach we've seen post game is always like "that's not a XX-win team. They play hard and Danny Granger is a beast" (paraphrasing).

And while I don't think Gilbert was necessary held in poor esteem, he did have a rep of being pretty eclectic, me-first and yada yada yada.

The coaches will vote for him -- if for nothing else because, to a man, they all wish he was on their team and he "represents" the NBA in a way that 40- to 60-year-old men want to see the NBA represented.

Dr. Awesome
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Good point.

But still, their personalities and general standing among the NBA coaching collective isn't exactly equivalent. While we would like to imagine it should be a pure meritocracy, that stuff comes into play.

I don't have specific evidence to back this up, but from everything I've ever heard, read or seen insinuated, Danny Granger is universally lauded throughout this league. He plays "the right way" and is "a good kid." Every coach we've seen post game is always like "that's not a XX-win team. They play hard and Danny Granger is a beast" (paraphrasing).

And while I don't think Gilbert was necessary held in poor esteem, he did have a rep of being pretty eclectic, me-first and yada yada yada.

The coaches will vote for him -- if for nothing else because, to a man, they all wish he was on their team and he "represents" the NBA in a way that 40- to 60-year-old men want to see the NBA represented.

Great post, I agree completely.

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree. While Danny's best case is his huge PPG, I don't think he's seen as a selfish scoring type and that's gotta help his case. It really helped to have him hit some late game shots for wins or ties. Plus he's also had some real gems in the shot block area. And he's matched up well in games against top guys - James, Pierce, Kobe - including some wins or near wins. It's those efforts that clear his name from the "best on worst" guy.

I can see him being snubbed, but that's just it, people would consider it a snub. There's been quite a long list of national support for Danny for the last month at least. I don't think he's being overlooked outside of Indy by people in the know (ie, press and coaches).

BTW, how many "best on worst" guys score 25 ppg and hit in the 36-40% from 3 range? Usually best on worst ends up 17-20 ppg and often poor shooting.

Tom White
01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll tell you the guy I feel sorry for - Troy Murphy.

No, maybe his overall play might not make him worthy of all-star status, and I'm not advocating him for that status.

But tell me the last guy to average a double-double that got less praise than Murphy. I'm sure his team mates show more appreciation than the media or general public.

Just saying, that's all.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I'll tell you the guy I feel sorry for - Troy Murphy.

No, maybe his overall play might not make him worthy of all-star status, and I'm not advocating him for that status.

But tell me the last guy to average a double-double that got less praise than Murphy. I'm sure his team mates show more appreciation than the media or general public.

Just saying, that's all.

Now if he could only play defense.

BlueNGold
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Can you believe that Rafer Alston, Jermaine O'Neal and Luke Ridnour all have more all-star votes than Danny Granger? Can you believe Allen Iverson is second in the eastern conference among guards and 5th among all players in the EC?

I know it's reputation and such, but this is ridiculous. Who is casting votes for these guys? Alston and Ridnour are no better than Jarrett Jack...and probably not as good as TJ Ford. Very, very average players. Fortunately, the lineup is limited and mostly the very best players actually get in the game.