PDA

View Full Version : Danny's shooting

tde3000
01-17-2009, 06:19 AM
He's shooting in really bad pct.
I never saw him play but from the boxscore it looks like he gets his points by shooting too much until some fall, much like AI.
You say?

Kemo
01-17-2009, 06:32 AM
I say....

you are probably basing this off of this last game at Toronto..

He shot poorly this game, but he did manage to hit a few important buckets.

Overall, Danny Granger has a good shot , and is improving .. He don't usually just chuck up shots, just to pad his stat sheet.. like , let's say , ..... Kobe Bryant ..

Danny Granger 2008-09 Statistics

PPG
RPG
APG
EFF
+ 23.28

His FG% so far this year is at .. 0.455
3p% is 0.392

tde3000
01-17-2009, 07:28 AM
He was also 6-20 against pistons IIRC

Mourning
01-17-2009, 07:52 AM
He was also 6-20 against pistons IIRC

So? Maybe check his season statistics before making assumptions like this ;). Anyway I think his shooting will get better with Mike coming back and starting to make his offensive impact which should get Danny more room to operate from on the offensive end unless the opposing team wants Dun Dun to score more then they would probably want him too.

BlueNGold
01-17-2009, 09:25 AM
This thread is funny. Good try but his 3pt shooting percentage of 39% is equivalent to nearly 59% from the floor. As a result, his points per attempt are quite good.

Top 5 scorers in the NBA:

DWade - 1.34ppa
Lebron - 1.43ppa
Kobe - 1.33ppa
Granger - 1.37ppa
Dirk - 1.28ppa

While Allen Iverson is 1.18ppa

tde3000
01-17-2009, 09:33 AM
you'rall right, it was just these last 2 games..
looking at my first post again, that did sound funny, it's just that i wrote from the ITouch, so i got lazy explaining myself.
thx anyway..

duke dynamite
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm not going to complain.

Frostwolf
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
can't complain with 45+% from the floor. have no problem with danny's shooting abilities. obviously he will have days where he gets cold (like today) and when he gets hot but the most important thing is that the buckets he does hit are starting to become more and more influential to the game result. which is very very encouraging.

Anthem
01-17-2009, 10:58 AM
His shot has left since Dun came back. Does he need to rediscover how to play with a big-time teammate? We've had this discussion before, about Danny being most effective when he's got to Lone Ranger it.

Bball
01-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Isn't it nice that we can see a thread with the title "Danny's Shooting" and not immediately think Danny has been involved in a shooting?

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Isn't it nice that we can see a thread with the title "Danny's Shooting" and not immediately think Danny has been involved in a shooting?

agreed.

JayRedd
01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
He's doing fine. Just two bad games.

Marquis on the other hand....

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

http://www.bothteamsplayedhard.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/granger.jpg

http://www.bothteamsplayedhard.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/marquis-daniels.jpg

danman
01-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure why Danny's shooting would have anything to do with Dunleavy. Dunleavy doesn't hog the ball, nor does he clog the lane. Danny will probably get fewer shots, but if anything, he should benefit from the fact that defenders are a lot less likely to help off Dunleavy than Daniels.

Besides, Danny's streaky. His touch has been with him so far this year, but he's always been prone to slumps that stretch 5 or 6 games.

The only case I could see for it is Danny always guarding the better opposing wingman, getting tired out. Daniels picks up that assignment more often than Dunleavy. But I don't really buy it.

And I agree with the others about Point Per Attempt being far more important. Danny's still racked up 23 and 24 points in these 2 slump games on about the same number of shots. Not good, but it's a long way from being court poison.

Bball
01-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Danny had 4 fouls and a T last night and earned some 'cool down' time on the bench. He re-entered the game and his shot had left him. Not sure why he didn't try to get to the rim and get a foul instead of taking jumpers but that's another story.

I don't recall the circumstances of the previous game. Prior to that I thought he was shooting normally... and Dun had returned then as well. So I don't think there's enough evidence to put the slump on anything other just going cold right now.

JayRedd
01-17-2009, 01:16 PM
It's fairly important to note that, despite his poor shooting, he still hit huge buckets in the final 30 seconds of regulation in both of these last two games: The pull up against Detroit and the sick drive against Toronto.

More than anything, we should just be impressed that, no matter how badly he is shooting at the time, Gift still flat out gets it done in winning time.

Throw in Houston and Phoenix and he's starting to remind me of someone we know.

count55
01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
His shot has left since Dun came back. Does he need to rediscover how to play with a big-time teammate? We've had this discussion before, about Danny being most effective when he's got to Lone Ranger it.

Danny's had two bad shooting nights, but in the 6 games since Junior returned, he's averaged 30.7 pts, 5.3 rebs, 3.5 asts (against only 1.5 TO's), 1.8 blocks & 1.5 steals a game.

He's shot .433 over the stretch, but .489 if you exclude the last two nights.

After the All-Star break last year, Danny averaged 23.1 pts, 6.7 rebs, .451 FG's (.420 3's), while Dunleavy averaged 22.3 pt, 4.3 rebs, 3.7 asts on .478 FG's (.482 3's).

Seems that Danny plays very well with Dunleavy.

cinotimz
01-17-2009, 09:31 PM
He's doing fine. Just two bad games.

Marquis on the other hand....

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

http://www.bothteamsplayedhard.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/granger.jpg

Looks like Danny definitely doesnt like the right side of the court as much as the rest.

Naptown_Seth
01-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Who says I didn't.

Little freaking toothless gangster. Can't trus' 'em.

Actually though wouldn't it be that he was shot at, perhaps catching it in his front replacements ala a magician. He turns and smiles with the smoking bullet, hops in the Escalade as Teen Wolf Diener rolls up and they get in hot pursuit of the shooter till they corner him in front of Webber Grill and Foster lets the AK rain from the sunroof but only manages to kill a TJ Maxx window mannequin. I capture it all in photos from the Artsgarden.

God I miss the good old days when Illinois and Washington was a contradiction of multi-million dollar condos and potential for shooting victims.

PS - the shooter would have been Tins, natch

Naptown_Seth
01-18-2009, 04:35 AM
It's fairly important to note that, despite his poor shooting, he still hit huge buckets in the final 30 seconds of regulation in both of these last two games: The pull up against Detroit and the sick drive against Toronto.

More than anything, we should just be impressed that, no matter how badly he is shooting at the time, Gift still flat out gets it done in winning time.

Throw in Houston and Phoenix and he's starting to remind me of someone we know.
PIPPEN?

Come on now, you know I had to say it. Seriously though, think about the flak I was getting the last few years noting the similarities in their growth. I often pointed out that Pippen didn't really step up to AS levels of numbers till about season 4 and that a big part of his early AS buzz came from putting up Danny style numbers next to Jordan, so it got noticed.

And yet here we are, even without Jordan, now watching Danny make a legit bid for his first AS game. I know you were getting at Reggie in terms of "Danny is becoming that guy that delivers no matter what", which I do agree with, and in fact DG might be becoming more than Pippen in terms of being the main guy instead of 2nd fiddle.

But a big hang up for people thinking of Danny as like Pippen was always "yes but Pip was an AS, champ, top 50, etc", most of which only comes from a career of play which Danny has yet to have. The AS bid is coming right on time if Danny is having a Pippen career arc.

And that means that it's one more step in that similarity that leads to a guy being an all-time great. He's not yet the defender Pippen was on the outside, but he's a better shot blocker and much better from deep of offense. It's not screwy to see where this COULD BE headed.

Frankly if you drive west for 4 days straight I think it's fair for me to start to assume you might be headed for Cali, even if you won't actually get there in the end.