PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Signs Austin Croshere To 10-Day

MillerTime
01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed free-agent forward Austin Croshere to a 10-day contract. The 6-10, 235-pound Croshere joins the Spurs after being waived by the Milwaukee Bucks on 1/6. Now in his 12th NBA season, he has also played for the Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks and Golden State Warriors. Croshere was originally drafted 12th overall by Indiana in the 1997 NBA Draft. This season Croshere appeared in 11 games with the Bucks and averaged 3.3 points and 2.2 rebounds in 7.0 minutes per game. Over his career he has averaged 6.9 points and 4.1 rebounds in 656 games. Croshere has also appeared in 68 playoff games where he averaged 6.7 points and 3.6 rebounds.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56632/20090116/san_antonio_signs_austin_croshere_to_10_day/# (I cant seem to get the original link to work..I will edit this post with the author and stuff once it works)

duke dynamite
01-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Hmm...good news for Austin.

MillerTime
01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
he'd be a nice fit there

flox
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
That rumour has been spreading a long time around Spurs boards. Spurs need another big man down low, they can't let Pau be 7-9 from the first quarter again.

Not too sold on him sticking though.

Anthem
01-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Good for him. He should be a good fit there.

Spirit
01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think he's a good fit. He's just an old version of Matt Bonner. They need a banger, not another shooting big man.

MillerTime
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't think he's a good fit. He's just an old version of Matt Bonner. They need a banger, not another shooting big man.

What they try to do is keep Duncan in the middle and have the rest of the 4 players stay around the perimeter and make shots..kind of like Orlando

Spirit
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
What they try to do is keep Duncan in the middle and have the rest of the 4 players stay around the perimeter and make shots..kind of like Orlando
But that leaves Duncan as the only capable defender in the post.

NuffSaid
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
But that leaves Duncan as the only capable defender in the post.
Well, isn't that how it's always been for the Spurs? I don't ever recall them having two post defenders, not since the David Robinson/Tim Duncan era. They've had good Wing defenders, but Duncan's been holding down their interior defense (as a starter anyway) for years.

BKK
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
They're just trying to to keep K. Thomas fresh for the playoffs...

This kind of signing is good for the regular season as well as this system with a shooting big instead of a true C. But you can be sure they will revert to Oberto and Thomas inside come playoffs time

Still I'm happy for Austin and I think he can definitely bring positive things on a veteran contender team like the Spurs. Anything he brings will be a bonus for them

NuffSaid
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Let's not get too excited for Croshere just yet, folks. After all, it is only a 10-day contract.

Spirit
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, isn't that how it's always been for the Spurs? I don't ever recall them having two post defenders, not since the David Robinson/Tim Duncan era. They've had good Wing defenders, but Duncan's been holding down their interior defense (as a starter anyway) for years.Kurt Thomas was a good defender next to him last year and Fabricio Oberto is solid. I just don't like no-defense or rebounding big men (like Bonner or Croshere). Murphy isn't a great defender but he makes it up by being a good/great rebounder.

Anthem
01-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Well, isn't that how it's always been for the Spurs? I don't ever recall them having two post defenders, not since the David Robinson/Tim Duncan era. They've had good Wing defenders, but Duncan's been holding down their interior defense (as a starter anyway) for years.
Who's the guy that left SA to play next to Shaq in LA? I can't remember his name, but he was a very solid defensive player.

Jonathan
01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
James White won a championship ring with them let's hope the same for Austin!

naptownmenace
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Man, I really like Austin but I've never seen a player get old so fast. He hasn't had any major surgeries that I know of but he doesn't have any lift left in his legs. He can't shoot or run anymore so I don't think he's a good fit for their system.

He's a good character guy, he can still rebound pretty well, and he has good work ethic so maybe they signed him for that reason.

ABADays
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Man, I really like Austin but I've never seen a player get old so fast. He hasn't had any major surgeries that I know of but he doesn't have any lift left in his legs. He can't shoot or run anymore so I don't think he's a good fit for their system.

He's a good character guy, he can still rebound pretty well, and he has good work ethic so maybe they signed him for that reason.

Older and faster than O'Neal? Would that be possible?