PDA

View Full Version : Nash to Raptors speculation

MillerTime
01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Smith has been around the NBA for a long time and assuredly has well-connected sources, but this one seems peculiar. The deal looks like this: The Suns trade Nash, Leandro Barbosa and Robin Lopez for Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Anthony Parker, Jason Kapono and possibly Jamario Moon as cap filler.

http://valleysports.freedomblogging.com/2009/01/13/nash-to-raptors-speculation/

by Kyle Odegard
Valley Sports

Major Cold
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
why if you are toronto

Kstat
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Because if they can't win, they may as well load the team with as many Canadians as possible to sell tickets. Next thing you know, they'll be making a move for Sam Dalmebert.

idioteque
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
The Suns need to remember the Shaquille O'Neal rule: Never trade a great player for a collection of relatively decent to above average players. That didn't work out too well for LA.

CableKC
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Because if they can't win, they may as well load the team with as many Canadians as possible to sell tickets. Next thing you know, they'll be making a move for Sam Dalmebert.
LOL.....good point.

As for why the Raptors would do this.....outside of Colangelo's connection to Nash when he was with the Suns......but ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) I thought I read that Calderon is a better suited PG to run some half-court offense....which may not be the type of PG that BC wants in the offense/defense that he's trying to employ.

As for why the Suns would do that.....it looks like more of the type of move that the Nets did last season with Kidd....jump ship with Nash and replace him with a younger PG while getting a whole bunch of shooters for Terry Porter.

Spirit
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
The Suns need to remember the Shaquille O'Neal rule: Never trade a great player for a collection of relatively decent to above average players. That didn't work out too well for LA.Nash is getting old and Andrea Bargnani looks like a upcoming star lately.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't get it. The Raps don't have enough depth as it is. Now they want to get even thinner?

Anthem
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Most valuable player the raps give up is Barghani... who plays the same position as Amare. Odd.

MillerTime
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Nash is getting old and Andrea Bargnani looks like a upcoming star lately.

Bargnani has been SCORING well of late. He still isnt a good rebounder and still seems kind of scared to play inside. And his defense is horrible.

He would be a great fit under D'Antoni's system. Toronto should look for a Bargnani + Parker for Nate Robinson + Lee

CableKC
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Most valuable player the raps give up is Barghani... who plays the same position as Amare. Odd.
I would suspect that Bargani could be used more as a SF first and a backup PF second.

However, looking at the trade rumor....from the talent POV....it would seem that the Raptors are giving up way too much talent for Nash, Barbosa and Lopez....while the Suns thin in the frontcourt as well since Shaq is playing every other game.

Quis
01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Nash, Bosh, J.O., Barbosa? Looks good on paper.

duke dynamite
01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Sp-ec-ul-at-io-ns.

Love it. I'm not sure this is a smart move for Toronto, but sure, I'm for anything to make the other EC teams worse.

HeliumFear
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
To be fair,Calderon Bosh Bargs JO looked good on paper.

Shade
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
That would be one crazy trade, that's for sure.

My initial reaction is that Toronto cleans up in this deal.

flox
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
That is interesting...Bargs can't play the 3. What are they trying to get at, if they bench Bargs in Phoenix he'll lose any confidence he just got. Puzzling trade for both sides, at the least.

RaptorsFan
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
1) We dont need Candians to sell tickets, we are 9th in the league in attendence this year and always top 10, our fanbase is massive, an entire country.

2) BC wouldnt trade Bargnani when he was at his all time low a couple months ago, you think now that he is an emerging star he wants to trade him for Nash who has maybe 2 years of elite level play in him? Not a chance!!

3) Calderon is a half court offense type PG, which is why the trade we will make will invovle getting us a slasher.

4) We have no depth, this makes us worse, it's silly speculation that wouldnt happen if Nash wasnt Canadian

5) JO will be the one to get traded, in a package with anyone but Calderon, Bargnani and Bosh, believe me, those 3 arent going to be moved.

6) Bargnani is a C, not a PF, he could be a good PF most likely, but believe me, he is big enough, strong enough and plays good enough D to play C easily, why make him a PF? So Amare and him dont really play the same position, Shaq and him do.

7) what a HORRIBLE trade idea, Barbosa has one of the worst contracts in the league, and thrives on the D'Antoni system, Lopez is nice, we could use him, Nash is on his last legs and wants to win NOW, Toronto isnt that place to do that.

ThA HoyA
01-15-2009, 11:57 PM
6) Bargnani is a C, not a PF, he could be a good PF most likely, but believe me, he is big enough, strong enough and plays good enough D to play C easily, why make him a PF? So Amare and him dont really play the same position, Shaq and him do.

are you really serious???

Oneal07
01-15-2009, 11:59 PM
This trade ain't going down. . .Bull **** Trade

Oneal07
01-15-2009, 11:59 PM
To be fair,Calderon Bosh Bargs JO looked good on paper.

J.O. needs to come off the bench IMO. Will Soloman needs someone to pass the ball to.

duke dynamite
01-16-2009, 01:33 AM
This trade ain't going down. . .Bull **** Trade
Easy there, killer.

Mr. Sobchak
01-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Bargnani has been SCORING well of late. He still isnt a good rebounder and still seems kind of scared to play inside. And his defense is horrible.

He would be a great fit under D'Antoni's system. Toronto should look for a Bargnani + Parker for Nate Robinson + Lee

Dude, do you seriously watch any basketball whatsoever? First you say Wilcox is a good defender which he is not, then you say Bargnani is a bad defender.. Say what you want about him but Barg's defense has been very solid. Probably the best post defense on the Raptors..