PDA

View Full Version : Tinsley Trade Coming?

sloopjohnb
01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Courtesy of hoopsworld.com (see link below). The quote comes from Bill Ingram's Evening Scoop Blog.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11224

Pacers Expect To Move Tinsley

HOOPSWORLD caught up with an Indiana Pacers
front office source today, who confirmed that the team is actively engaged in talks regarding point guard Jamaal Tinsley.

The bottom line with Tinsley is that the Pacers want to give him a chance to play, and believe that he can play, just not as a member of their team. Given that there are so many teams in need of point guard help, it seems likely that someone will make the Pacers an offer for their former floor general, who could still easily average be a double-double threat for a run-and-gun team.

The issue for the Pacers to date is that offers they've received have been largely one-sided, and bad for the Pacers from a business standpoint. Though the team is motivated to move Tinsley, for his sake as well as theirs, they won't move him unless it helps them move forward as a team.

Major Cold
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
The trade is coming no quicker than at the start of the season, nor more certain than this summer.

Roaming Gnome
01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
In other words... "All Quiet on the Tinsley Front"

Tinsley's contract along with his injury history are so unfavorable, you can only expect to be offered one sided deals that are bad for the Pacers from a business standpoint.

naptownmenace
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I guess that's an update.

I have no idea who would want him at this point though. He'd be a good addition to a team like Golden State (never gonna happen because they aren't going to reunite him and SJax) Phoenix, or San Antonio. Detroit would also be a good team for him if he'd be willing to come off the bench. Maybe the Lakers would be willing to swing a deal.

avoidingtheclowns
yawn

Mourning
Regardless patience is a virtue our franchise should exercise when it comes to moving Tinsley. IF need be until his contract expirers, but I'm quite sure it won't come to that given that he would form a nice expiring contract for other teams aswell.

Unclebuck
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I really don't care. He isn't on the team, so I don't really care

Dr. Goldfoot
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
UB, he's still taking up cap space and a roster spot. He'll be moved eventually and it will add another piece to the puzzle. Whether it helps/hurts this team is what I'm interested in at this point. Honestly, my stance on Tinsley is well known by now I assume and I'd actually like to see him on the court again for somebody.

Bball
01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm starting to think Tinsley's NBA career is over.

-BBall

Bball
01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
...especially if he remains a Pseudo Pacer following the trade deadline...

Will Galen
01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't rule Miami out.

Quis
01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I think it's done as well. We're talking about a guy who, even when he's healthy and behaving, has a lot of flaws. Lousy shooter, poor defender, and turnover prone. Combine those negatives with his age, history of injuries, off court issues, and salary, and is it any wonder why no one in their right mind is willing to trade for him? If he's not gone by the trade deadline I'd go ahead and attempt a buy-out. It'll officially remove him from our franchise while likely saving management a few million in the long-run.

Speed
01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm starting to think Tinsley's NBA career is over.

-BBall

I told my wife this 2 days ago, oddly enough. A couple of things, teams will want him even less now with the knowledge that it may be a flat cap next year and actually decrease the year after that.

Also, how long do you think Tinsley will stay in semi playing shape, if he even still is? Here is a multi millionaire who is still getting a check who sure wants to play, but I would wonder at what point being "home" becomes more and more appealling and those diets and work outs become harder and harder.

I am completely just wondering here, but I do think it's a real possiblity that if he doesn't find a team soon, he may be done.

Speed
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Also, I said this over the summer, where is John Lucas when you need him? I am sure he'd try to take him on as a reclaimation project.

Skaut_Ech
01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I think it's done as well. We're talking about a guy who, even when he's healthy and behaving, has a lot of flaws. Lousy shooter, poor defender, and turnover prone. Combine those negatives with his age, history of injuries, off court issues, and salary, and is it any wonder why no one in their right mind is willing to trade for him? If he's not gone by the trade deadline I'd go ahead and attempt a buy-out. It'll officially remove him from our franchise while likely saving management a few million in the long-run.

Tinsley is done. I don't see him doning an NBA uniform again. Reason I say the watching how no one would risk taking on Bonzi Wells, or Sprewell. I think tteam probably feel there is too much young talent out there to take a risk on an older malcontent.

Hell, you'd be better off luring "failed" guys like Dejaun Wagner from Europe,

vnzla81
01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
there is only few teams that need a point guard, New jersey,Miami, Lakers,Suns, Orlando. the only problem is that they may wanna send a big contract in exchange for tinsley.

PacerGuy
01-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Let me throw out a reason for why (& how) Tin's COULD move soon:
-By the trade deadline t/y, '08 is 1/2 over & Tin's has been paid 1/2 of his yearly wage. Now, if the Pacers stepped up to pay 3 mil (trade max a team can add) w/ Tin's to avoid taking back a bad contract or get a better upfront offer, it may be worth it, both finacially & P/R wise in the long term. This would in essence make Tin's "Free" for the remaining of t/y. His contract expires in '11, so the team only has Tin's "bad contract" for 1 full season ('10). For a team who is out of '09, &/or '10 signing spree's, Tin' expiring '11 contract is not 1/2 bad - especially if he can produce at the level he did before he was "hurt" (suspended) l/y. Add him too w/ an expiring (esp one like Daniels, that give teams an option to let expire t/y or n/y), then he is even more attractive. Daniels "team option" may be far more valuable then we are looking at. Look at D.Lee in NY for example. The only reason he will not be resigned by NYK is because WHEN he expires. Picking up MD's T/O for n/y allows him to expire at just the right time - as does Travis Diener by the way, another piece that could be added. Also, we do have a small TE from the JO deal that we could use by breaking a beal up into pieces to help a tax-team get under.
Just some thoughts....

PacerGuy
01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Tinsley is done. I don't see him doning an NBA uniform again. Reason I say the watching how no one would risk taking on Bonzi Wells, or Sprewell. I think tteam probably feel there is too much young talent out there to take a risk on an older malcontent.

The difference w/ Bonzi & Spree is they are both FA's & not on anyones cap, so signing them to a roster HURTS (adds to) your cap. Tin's is currently under contract so you are "swapping assets", not adding them. Also, in time Tin's will expire - something that holds greater value. Add that Tin's plays a position of much greater need & importance to teams then 2 SF's, & you can see, that you are compairing Apples to Oranges here.
I get the link you are suggesting w/ regards to character, but that does not over-shaddow the fact that Tin's is still technically "IN the league" - contractually speaking of course.

Bball
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I told my wife this 2 days ago, oddly enough. A couple of things, teams will want him even less now with the knowledge that it may be a flat cap next year and actually decrease the year after that.

Also, how long do you think Tinsley will stay in semi playing shape, if he even still is? Here is a multi millionaire who is still getting a check who sure wants to play, but I would wonder at what point being "home" becomes more and more appealling and those diets and work outs become harder and harder.

I am completely just wondering here, but I do think it's a real possiblity that if he doesn't find a team soon, he may be done.

If I was getting paid to not play like he is, I'd see a brightside to my situation.

As a matter of fact, I'd not play for 1/2 what Tinsley is getting paid not to play... ;)
Speaking of.... I'm not playing now. Where do I send my bill for that?

-Bball

Shade
01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.godspeed.dk/officerBarbrady.gif

duke dynamite
01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Officer Barbrady would've been a better choice...

Shade
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Officer Barbrady would've been a better choice...

Fixed. :D

And here's a bonus TaCoCaT, just for the hell of it:

:tacocat:

count55
01-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Boys...

It ain't even breathin' hard.

Slick Pinkham
01-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Delonte West breaking his wrist might put Cleveland in the market for another guard. I know Delonte has been playing more 2 than 1, but they suddenly have a greater need and a motivation to act quickly to stay atop the East.

BRushWithDeath
01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
This is groundbreaking news.

pacergod2
01-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Quis and Tinsley for Szcerbiak would get us a ton of cap flexibility to make other deals. I think we would still be over the cap once you add in draft pick salaries and cap holds though. But this is all wishful thinking because Cleveland wouldn't want Tinsley.

kester99
01-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Boys...

It ain't even breathin' hard.

Har har. That was a chuckle.

The Pacers are actively engaged in sitting by the phone, wishing someone would call with an offer that doesn't totally stink. That's the article's message.

Oneal07
01-16-2009, 12:01 AM
I really don't care. He isn't on the team, so I don't really care

For Real. Plus it's nothing new

wjs
01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
... all wishful thinking because Cleveland wouldn't want Tinsley.

Delonte West fractured his right wrist during the Chicago game tonight.

flox
01-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Delonte West fractured his right wrist during the Chicago game tonight.

Still no incentive, Tins is a pure PG, Delonte plays off the ball, Tins can't shoot and is best in the post, West is a good shooter and spaces the floor. West is a better defender in that he defends 2's better with his length and can make up mistakes better than Tins.

jeffg-body
01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Quis and Tinsley for Szcerbiak would get us a ton of cap flexibility to make other deals. I think we would still be over the cap once you add in draft pick salaries and cap holds though. But this is all wishful thinking because Cleveland wouldn't want Tinsley.

I was thinking a Tins/expiring for Szcerbiak trade would be nice for both teams, especially if Delonte misses more than just as few games. Probably wishful thinking on my part.:stewie:

Brad8888
01-16-2009, 01:36 AM
This is groundbreaking news.

Like a 1.0 on the Richter scale.

avoidingtheclowns
01-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Delonte West breaking his wrist might put Cleveland in the market for another guard.

yeah they might be in the market for a guard... just not one that has 3yrs / $21mil on his deal.

d_c
01-16-2009, 01:49 AM
yeah they might be in the market for a guard... just not one that has 3yrs / $21mil on his deal.

Yep. Just because a role player goes down for 2-3 weeks doesn't mean they're all of a sudden going to get desperate and assume an undesirable contract that still has 2.5 years left on it.

I mean, what are they scared of, missing the playoffs if they don't get Jamaal Tinsley?

2minutes twowa
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Courtesy of hoopsworld.com (see link below). The quote comes from Bill Ingram's Evening Scoop Blog.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11224

And I am actively seeking to win the lottery. There's a little business term called "sunk cost". These are costs that cannot be recovered once they have been incurred. That's the way I'm looking at JT. Let's build this team thinking that we will never find a trade for him. So, if by some good fortune we do, then it's just a bonus. Of course it's not my millions going out the window, so that's easy for me to say.

Bball
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
How on Earth did Tinsley ever get this contract in the first place? Did Walsh think if we just overpay him that his attitude and habits would improve out of loyalty?

NuffSaid
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
How on Earth did Tinsley ever get this contract in the first place? Did Walsh think if we just overpay him that his attitude and habits would improve out of loyalty?
The answer to that question is simple: DW fell in love with talent!

Can't say I blame him. Tinsley's potential at the time he was acquired was very high. I'd also venture to say there weren't many up-and-coming PGs available at the time Tinsley was drafted and subsequently traded to the Pacers. So, getting him must've looked like a steal at the time, and keeping him was important...at the time.

I think Bird/Morray have learned from the Brad Miller/Austin Croshere/Jamaal Tinsley errors (vice eras) and will now pay a player what he believes they're worth even if the so-called free agency "market" pushed the price tag up vice paying for potential. In a small market environment, you just can't throw multi-millions upon millions at just one or two players and expect to pull or even retain talent. Bird knows there is a balancing act to acquiring the right players for this team vice the "best-of-the-best" because let's face it - it's hard to imagine a Kobe Bryant or a MJ ever willingly coming to this team. The draft is the only way that will happen and that's even if this franchise ever happens to win a championship or two.

Small market team, small market players who develop into big named stars. Some pan out, others don't. But my Pacers still somehow manage to get their fair share of talent...sometimes a bit overpaid, but decent talent nonetheless.

As an aside, I think TPTB will have to sit on Tinsley for another year before they'll find any takers. Otherwise, they'll have to give up a lot just to get back alittle. The need is a legit big man. We won't get that via a trade w/o giving up something good (i.e., player(s) 6-10). Those players who have seen significant playing time have shown they can work well together and be effective in most areas except overall defense. However, we have to remember that this remains a team very much in transition (not to mention the few injuries that have come their way haven't helped solidify things much). Time will tell how much this team improves during the 2nd-half of the season (and they will improve w/Dunleavy back and once Quis and Ford are completely healed). Until then, I say we just sit on JT indefinitely and not push the panic button.

aceace
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Did Tinsley sign that contract during the 61 win season in which he avg 15p 8a a game? The contract was for 6 or 7 years and took effect the following season? That's what I remember. Pretty much downhill from there.

Anthem
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Did Walsh think if we just overpay him that his attitude and habits would improve out of loyalty?
What's wrong with Tinsley's habits? The dude's injuries aren't due to a poor workout regime.

Bball
01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
What's wrong with Tinsley's habits? The dude's injuries aren't due to a poor workout regime.

Uhhh... Yeah, you are correct, his 'injuries' aren't due to a poor workout regime. Not what I'm talking about anyway.

travmil
01-16-2009, 03:39 PM

I think he's referring to Tinsley's habit of being out late and generally dodging a hail of gunfire.

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM

What if Lebron James stomps one of his rather large feet in the Cleveland GM's office and says "I need guard help, and Tinsley is who I need!"

Unlikely I know, but Cleveland may be willing to do a little extra now to win and to prove to "the man" that they are all about doing whatever it takes to win.

But sadly I bet Knicks fans are thinking the same thing about pawning off Marbury.

:(

2minutes twowa
01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Did Tinsley sign that contract during the 61 win season in which he avg 15p 8a a game? The contract was for 6 or 7 years and took effect the following season? That's what I remember. Pretty much downhill from there.

Actually, his contract isn't that bad for a starting PG. The problem was when he not only didn't start, but didn't play half the time.

Bball
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Regime? Regimen?

I'm confused....

grace
01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Har har. That was a chuckle.

The Pacers are actively engaged in sitting by the phone, wishing someone would call with an offer that doesn't totally stink. That's the article's message.

I took it as Larry is actively making phone calls only to be met by hysterical laughter when he proposed a trade.

grace
01-16-2009, 06:00 PM

That might have been true once upon a time (like back when Isiah was the coach).

Here's my opinion about Tinsley and how he applies himself to his job as an NBA player. Once his mother died and Isiah was no longer his coach he had no one in his life (that he would listen to) who would call him out when he either slacked off at his job or did things away from his job that weren't in the best interest of him excelling at his job.

vnzla81
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I took it as Larry is actively making phone calls only to be met by hysterical laughter when he proposed a trade.

Larry was talking on the radio this afternoon and said that he is almost sure that tinsley would be traded before the trade deadline, he is receiving a lot of calls regarding this point guard.

Dr. Awesome
01-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Well, to start, Bonzi Wells is in the NBA. Tinsley is not near as bad as Wells or Sprewell anyway. I think Tinsley's off the court issues have been overexaggerated on this board. Obviously he is a terrible player for the Pacers with our PR issues, but I don't think hes ever been suspended by the NBA.

Tinsley will easily have an NBA career. Even if he stays on the Pacers roster for the next 3 years, which won't happen, a team will still sign him. He doesn't have to worry about not having a spot in the NBA.

Dr. Awesome
01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Larry was talking on the radio this afternoon and said that he is almost sure that tinsley would be traded before the trade deadline, he is receiving a lot of calls regarding this point guard.

He also said Tinsley wouldn't be on the roster before the beggining of the season. I do believe we'll find a trade partner for him, I just don't know if it will be before the deadline.

Anthem
01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Love it.

vnzla81
01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
He also said Tinsley wouldn't be on the roster before the beggining of the season. I do believe we'll find a trade partner for him, I just don't know if it will be before the deadline.

I think the raptors would ne a nice place for him, they don't have a back up PG and if they have one I did not see him today

Anthem
01-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I think the raptors would ne a nice place for him, they don't have a back up PG and if they have one I did not see him today
Toronto: Where Discarded Pacers Go To Die.

Bball
01-17-2009, 12:12 AM

My money says Larry is trying to create a little market demand hoping to get someone to believe teams have an interest in Tinsley and if there's some team out there on the fence about taking a chance on him, they better call ASAP before he's gone.

Or IOW... Larry's constantly picking up the Tinsley hotline to check for a dialtone to see if it's active because it's not ringing.

vnzla81
01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
check my trade proposal trade for tinsley, tell me what you think?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?p=836613#post836613

Roaming Gnome
01-17-2009, 12:43 AM
My money says Larry is trying to create a little market demand hoping to get someone to believe teams have an interest in Tinsley and if there's some team out there on the fence about taking a chance on him, they better call ASAP before he's gone.

Or IOW... Larry's constantly picking up the Tinsley hotline to check for a dialtone to see if it's active because it's not ringing.

:phone: :spit:

cinotimz
01-17-2009, 01:54 AM
What if Lebron James stomps one of his rather large feet in the Cleveland GM's office and says "I need guard help, and Tinsley is who I need!"

Unlikely I know, but Cleveland may be willing to do a little extra now to win and to prove to "the man" that they are all about doing whatever it takes to win.

I just have a sneaky suspicion that Cleveland might be one of the last teams we have any chance of trading Tinsley to. I say that only because I tend to believe that Mike Brown would not be interested in having Tinsley around. He knows up close and personally everything there is to know about Tins.

We need someone whos more likely to be a sucker than Mike. Someone with a huge ego that things will be different with them.

grace
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
We need someone whos more likely to be a sucker than Mike. Someone with a huge ego that things will be different with them.

If Isiah wouldn't trade for him then no one is going to take him.

BRushWithDeath
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I'd be shocked if he could be moved before the deadline. It's too bad we couldn't do a European soccer-like loan with him. Just so we (and more importantly other teams) could see what he can do outside of a Pacer uniform.

jeffg-body
01-19-2009, 11:47 PM

This is the case of Larry stirring the pot a little bit to see if anyone will jump in.:laugh: