PDA

View Full Version : Are the Celts a wildcard player in tonight's draft/trade activity?

BostonConnection
06-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Danny Ainge has already shown that he's willing to deal any and all of the former Jim O'Brien players (Antoine Walker, Tony Battie, Eric Williams, Kedrick Brown). He's got multiple first round picks to use as potential trade bait (#15, 24, 25). And he's shown a lack of fear to pull the trigger on the kinds of deals that most people would dismiss as a "why on earth would Boston do that" if the trade were proposed on here by one of us.

In the 3-way Pistons/Hawks/Celtics trade that enabled the Pistons to get Rasheed Wallace, all Boston got back in return was journeyman Chucky Atkins, Lindsey Hunter (whom they promptly released, allowing him to re-sign with Detroit) and Detroit's 1st-round pick (#25) this year, leading many sports fans in the Boston area to either (a) conclude he's an idiot for basically helping EC opponent Pistons win a title in exchange for peanuts, or (b) that he's got an "I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you-scratch-mine" arrangement with Dumars for a favorable trade that helps Boston in return.

This morning, when I turned on the local news and saw Paul Pierce highlights being shown and Tyson Chandler and Chicago's 3rd pick in the draft being discussed I thought for an instant that they had pulled the trigger on that rumored deal! A couple of seconds later, they showed Ainge and Doc Rivers on the news saying that the internet rumors involving Pierce are untrue, and that Paul is basically untouchable. Of course, Ainge gave this same "kiss-of-death" assurance regarding rumors that he was looking to trade Antoine Walker last summer and we know how much weight that carried... :rolleyes:

Slick Pinkham
06-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I heard a long interview with Doc Rivers yesterday and another with owner Wyc Grosbeck this morning.

I'd guess Pierce is staying. They seemed pretty adamant about that.

It was very interesting to hear Doc Rivers talk about the makeup of the team, and note that 3 of his best players are really best when playing SG: Pierce, Ricky Davis, and Jiri Welsch. He also mention that what they don't have are small forwards, particularly a "really long small forward to cause matchup problems".

It would seem to be a natural fit to trade Bender for Welsch and #15, for example, with others added in to balance salaries.

One thing for sure is that Boston need not add 3 draftees, nor Chicago 2 hugh draftees, to their already young rosters.

a wild night awaits.

:D

BostonConnection
06-24-2004, 08:51 AM
I tell ya, Tom, whenever I hear Danny Ainge speak I can't help but get this mental image of a little kid kid playing with matches in a room full of fireworks... :o :D

Slick Pinkham
06-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I heard Ainge interviewed too, and he was pretty vague about everything.

He said that other things being equal, he'd avoid high school players. Which probably means they will draft 3 of them.

Since I loathe Antoine Walker's game, I am not totally convincd Ainge is nuts. The Davis trade WAS nuts. Getting Chucky Atkins probably got them demoted from about #10 to #15 in the draft by making the playoffs. That might be the trade Ainge would take back. Heck, I would too if it meant Rasheed ended up elsewhere!

:)

MSA2CF
06-24-2004, 11:59 AM
I expect the Celtics to make at least one trade, but I'm thinking like 2 or 3. If it's only 1 trade, then it's a big one.