PDA

View Full Version : Dunleavy Set to Start - Minutes Increased

Dr. Goldfoot
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
i don't understand why this guys would go in the starting lineup. He is not a starter in this league. However he is a damn good 6th man. y can't o'brien see this...? GEEEEEEEEEEEEZE I'm pissed !!! AnD THE Defense will be more than terrible w/ him and murphy on the floor at the same time...O'Brien cannot coach at all i hope bird sees it and fires his butt..(your thoughts)

Tonight O'brien is starting:

pg...Jack
sg...Dunleavy
sf....Granger
pf....Murphy
C.....Hibbert
Which of the others players available are starters in this league. Graham? Rush?

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
This can go in the fire O'Brien thread...

Just calm down, dude. It's not the end of the world.

Also, even if it may be up at Pacers.com, please provide your source of information if at all possible.

dohman
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Dunleavy is not a starter in this league? He is our second best scored and our best 3 point shooter. His BBALL IQ is miles above anyone else on our roster and he was not AWFUL on defense last year. He is not the slouch everyone makes him out to be.

mildlysane
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
i don't understand why this guys would go in the starting lineup. He is not a starter in this league. However he is a damn good 6th man. y can't o'brien see this...? GEEEEEEEEEEEEZE I'm pissed !!! AnD THE Defense will be more than terrible w/ him and murphy on the floor at the same time...O'Brien cannot coach at all i hope bird sees it and fires his butt..(your thoughts)

Tonight O'brien is starting:

pg...Jack
sg...Dunleavy
sf....Granger
pf....Murphy
C.....Hibbert

I know, why start our 2nd best/close to best player we have. That would be stupid. We definitely need to start our slumping rookie or that amazing journeyman.....:(

Speed
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Where'd you find this info? I don't think we ever doubted that he would start when he was ready.

I pretty much agree he may be better served as a 6th man on a really really good team. Dun is a glue guy.

On this team though, he is their second best all around player and will start and play as many minutes as he can handle.

It's not like Reggie Miller is walking through that door.

I'll be glad to have the intended starting line up some time this year, if TJ can get over the Back issue.

I really want to see about 10 games, at least, this season with the full compliment of players, including Marquis and TJ, to be able to get a feel for where we are for next year.

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Who else would you like to see start? Graham? Rush? Theres no much options. If Quis was available, I would see the argument, but theres really no one else we have.

I know everyone knocks Dunleavy's defense, so do I, but did you know he led the league last season in taking charges? I dont know if that his ball IQ or if hes just too slow to get out of the way ... j/k :D

Roaming Gnome
01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
**************Notice********************
In an effort to merge two threads of the same topic together, I ended up botching the original start of this thread. kbills05 originally had the first post in this thread, but somehow it was deleted. I edited Kbills05's original post into Dr. Goldfoot's post in the #1 position. Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion.

Speed
01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Who else would you like to see start? Graham? Rush? Theres no much options. If Quis was available, I would see the argument, but theres really no one else we have.

I know everyone knocks Dunleavy's defense, so do I, but did you know he led the league last season in taking charges? I dont know if that his ball IQ or if hes just too slow to get out of the way ... j/k :D

I guess each of the last 3 years, I think that is what Denari said.

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
My thoughts are... you're starting too many threads calling for O'Brien's head. As for starting Mike Dunleavy.....Why not? It'll give us better ball movement on offense and a better "team" defender. If Marquise was healthy, I'd not be in favor of starting Mike, but he can start in favor of Grahm or Rush 7 days of the week!
Yeah, it's kind of taking the fun out of the PD experience.

(i.e. The lack of quality discussions. Most of them are now being directed towards the firing of a coach or a front office employee.)

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
At the very least, I'd like to see our intended opening day starting 5 play together, namely:

Ford
Granger
Dun
Murphy
Rasho

I think this is our best lineup. I'm wondering if when Quis returns, Hibbert goes to the bench and Rush falls out of the rotation entirely.

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
from Pacers.com
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/matchups_090114.html

Shooting Guard
Limited to roughly 20 minutes in his first four games back from a knee injury, Mike Dunleavy has been given clearance by the medical staff to increase his load to roughly 28 minutes, so Coach Jim O'Brien said this morning he will put him back in the starting lineup. There appears to be little chance he'll actually match up against Allen Iverson. That job most likely will fall to Jack. Dunleavy could be paired with Richard Hamilton, with Danny Granger on Stuckey. Iverson is a tough cover for anybody, a high-volume shooter who doesn't convert a high percentage but does get to the line and can effectively create for others.

Looks like his rehab paid off. 28 minutes I think is a good jump, and so far he has shown that he is capable of picking up from where he left off last season.

Speed
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Here's some topics, Duke. :)

Do you think B Rush will break through the rookie wall soon?

Do you think Hibbert can be a 30 minute a night starting Center by the end of his 3rd year? What are the most rebounds you could see him ever averaging, most points?

Is Danny to the point that you can consider him for the All NBA 2nd or 3rd team? (Is there even a 3rd team named?)

Yes, I realize I am trying to hijack the thread!!

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
JOB also did a decent job bringing him in slowly and not giving him too many mins the first 2 games

Major Cold
01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
At the very least, I'd like to see our intended opening day starting 5 play together, namely:

Ford
Granger
Dun
Murphy
Rasho

I think this is our best lineup. I'm wondering if when Quis returns, Hibbert goes to the bench and Rush falls out of the rotation entirely.
http://www.wisebread.com/files/fruganomics/wisebread_imce/Hell_freezing_over.jpg

D23
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm fine with Dunleavy starting. As others have said, he's our 2nd best offensive option, and smartest player. If this was meant just as more "Fire O'brien" fodder it could go in one of the many other threads.

The real question here is, when did Richard Hamilton decide to start looking like Kimbo Slice? :hmm:

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
JOB also did a decent job bringing him in slowly and not giving him too many mins the first 2 games
I would think that the training staff had a lot to do with it, too. I know we were given a lot of "maybe he will return" stories, but I'm glad he's back.

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Here's some topics, Duke. :)

Do you think B Rush will break through the rookie wall soon?

Do you think Hibbert can be a 30 minute a night starting Center by the end of his 3rd year? What are the most rebounds you could see him ever averaging, most points?

Is Danny to the point that you can consider him for the All NBA 2nd or 3rd team? (Is there even a 3rd team named?)

Yes, I realize I am trying to hijack the thread!!
Why don't I make these the next topics of my next blog?

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks to Roaming Gnome, I created another thread with the proper linkage and source of the information. We were able to merge this into one thread.

Speed
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM

Ford
Granger
Dun
Murphy
Rasho

I've thought about this too. I think the rotation would be 8 deep in a playoff situation. (I'm not saying they'll make the playoffs or starting that discussion.)

I think it would be:

TJ
Dun
DG
Murphy
Nesto

with back ups

Jarret
Marquis
Foster

I think these are you top 8 experienced players who will give you the best chance to win a playoff game or series at this moment. I'm not considering matchups or anything. I just think Obie would play these 8 in a do or die game.
--------------------
Of course, he would order them to run a 3/4 court hybrid trap where two guys guard their own basket and only stay on the offensive side fo the court and then institute that no shots be taken after 8 seconds into the shot clock and no shot inside the hash marks, but that's just Obie. :D

Speed
01-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Why don't I make these the next topics of my next blog?

Absolutely, I enjoy reading about the youngsters, especially when times are tough. It gives me at least a semblance of hope, I guess. I think 13-25 qualifies as tough times!!

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Absolutely, I enjoy reading about the youngsters, especially when times are tough. I think 13-25 qualifies!!
Well, it will be Saturday when I get it out. I want to write after the Toronto game Friday.

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.wisebread.com/files/fruganomics/wisebread_imce/Hell_freezing_over.jpg

Yeah, no kidding. Our trainers are either a) dribbling their fingers with their lips (going insane), or b) were taught sports medicine by a team of chimpanzees in doctor's coats (incompetent)

OakMoses
01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
There are 150 starters in the NBA, 60 at the 2 positions Dunleavy plays. To make the statement that he is not one of the top 60 wing players in the NBA is ludicrous and destroys any shred of credibility you may have. If you want to make a case that Dunleavy would be better served coming off the bench for this team, I'm all ears and I'd probably agree with you, but to try to say he doesn't have the ability or past production to warrant a starting spot in the NBA demonstrates a mind-boggling lack of judgement. I'll remind you that Dunleavy was the only Pacer with a positive +/- last season.

kbills05
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM
hey don't be mad at me fans, but the reason i am not in favor of him starting is it seems O'brien is concerned about the offense flowing and having dunleavy paired up w/ Granger. However, the reason we have been loosing is because we cannot stop anyone on DEFENSE. Thus, Dunleavy is a huge liability in this department and should be brought off the bench where his scoring would be paramount (see Ginobli w/ Spurs). your thoughts?

Our starting 5 should be:

pg....Ford
Sg....Daniels
Sf....Granger
PF....Murphy/McRoberts
C.....Hibbert

bench:M.Duleavy, McRoberts/Murphy, Rush, and Rasho, oh yea n Graham because he i aggressive...

Unclebuck
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Dunleavy is not a huge liability on defense. He led the entire NBA last season in taking charges. His off the ball weakside defense is excellent and his understanding of the defensive system is the best on the team

kbills05
01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
r u kidding u mean to tell me...you actually bye that he has good defenses because he takes charges n led the league....if he is taking charges that means someone is getting beat off the dribble or due to lack of rotation soemones man is getting to the rim thus, he must take a charge. THat is not a good stat to lead the nba in..in my opinion. maybe if he lead the league in steals or blocked shots then i'd say yea...but not charges. he's too slow to slide his feet thus, he must take a charge....

Major Cold
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
So your saying that charges are not good because it is the result of something bad? Charges are redemptive defense. Bailing out you team. It is a turnover. It is a personal foul on someone. Dunleavy is not a good one on one defender. But he knows how to work with what he's got, his brain.

count55
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
r u kidding u mean to tell me...you actually bye that he has good defenses because he takes charges n led the league....if he is taking charges that means someone is getting beat off the dribble or due to lack of rotation soemones man is getting to the rim thus, he must take a charge. THat is not a good stat to lead the nba in..in my opinion. maybe if he lead the league in steals or blocked shots then i'd say yea...but not charges. he's too slow to slide his feet thus, he must take a charge....

Wow...just wow. It is true that taking charges in and of itself does not necessarily mean that a player is a good defender. However, there is absolutely no way that you can assert that taking a charge is a bad defensive play.

Taking charges are generally the result of good footwork, not slow footwork. It is indicative of good defensive rotations, not bad one. It is both statistically and realistically more effective than blocked shots because it results in a change of possession 100% of the time. It is at least equal in these regards to a steal, and in both instance, it gets a foul recorded against an opposing player, which happens with neither steals or blocks.

duke dynamite
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Dunleavy should and is starting. He is a good player, with a good set of skills.

jhondog28
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

I understand your point, but do not understand how Dun is to blame for someone else's lack of one on one defense. How is this Dun being a poor defensive player. I watched him last night and I actually think he did very well playing one on one defense.

andreialta
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
The thing with Dun is he knows that he is not a good defender. So he works around it, he anticipates what he thinks is going to come, which makes him a pretty good team defender, he knows when to rotate, knows where to slide. it's one of the reasons he draws so many charges. it's all basketball iq. I think Shane Battier once said that players like Dun, knows exactly what the other team is running(playwise) and yells it to his teammates. i read that somewhere in yahoo sports. can't find it again. but he should definitely be starting.