PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Stupid...

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I just got shushed by a co-worker for talking too much (and possibly too loudly).

So I now feel uncomfortable, but I don't know what to do from here.

Do I just not talk for the rest of the day? Keep to myself? Or gently ease back into conversation, but toned down?

I admit, I was being loud, but I just can't help but feel...weird. You know?

I know he isn't mad, just probably irritated.

I'm an idiot.

Major Cold
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Simply say your sorry and check you volume. Don't let his irritation damper your day.

Oh yeah and keep it down we are trying to count in here.

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Alright, thanks!

travmil
01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
At least you're not contagious too.

age dependent joke above.

Skaut_Ech
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Walk by co-worker's desk.

Let out SBD.

Walk away

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Walk by co-worker's desk.

Let out SBD.

Walk away

LOL

count55
01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
At least you're not contagious too.

age dependent joke above.

Perhaps he should stand there and wait to be entertained.

And...duke...as far as feeling stupid...go with it. You'll be stunned at the number of highly successful, really stupid people you meet throughout your life.

Raskolnikov
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey, no reason to feel stupid, duke. After all, he just shushed you, he didn't say you were a moron or anything.

Totally nailed that one.

No, a bit more seriously, good communication with your office mates about your noise-making habits is important. For instance, I have a Greek in my office, and he's on the phone quite a lot. Well, we have this silent understanding that I start to play loud music when he's pushing it. Plus, did I mention that he's Greek? Doesn't really matter actually.

idioteque
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I've been in similar situations but not that exact situation.

One time while working in an old position for the government about 2 years ago, in the middle of a political transition (that was going to cause a lot of people to lose their jobs) I blurted out to someone on a crowded elevator something along the lines of "how many people do you think are going to lose their jobs." Yeah, pretty stupid, and she told me so.

Don't worry about it too much. The world didn't stop, did it? You learn from these things and move on. They're sort of painful but it makes you a better, more mature person.

avoidingtheclowns
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
declare him your nemisis and then spend the rest of your days passive aggressively trying to undermine and destroy him. that seems to be the healthiest solution.

Major Cold
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
He is your DWight.

cgg
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
declare him your nemisis and then spend the rest of your days passive aggressively trying to undermine and destroy him. that seems to be the healthiest solution.

Agreed.

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. He and I are big Office fans, too.

N8R
01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I agree with the nemesis remark. He is now your Doc Oc to you Spiderman or maybe it is vice versa. Sometimes you never know who the evil one is. I have been sushed many times but I have a very loud voice when I dont watch it and usually I'll be in a restaurant with friends just talking normally about some horrible stuff and swearing and there will be kids someone so one of my friends has to tell me to shut up. I dont get told to sush by co-workers, I am the one that tells them to shut the **** up. More cause they annoy me.

Shade
01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
WHY IS EVERYBODY SHOUTING?!?!

http://i2.bebo.com/010b/medium/2006/05/11/20/793356948a794646670b403666993m.jpg

Spicoli
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I strongly support Skaut's SBD treatment.

Also, in general, if you get lonely and want some company in your cubicle or office area . . . only 1 thing needs to be done. Simply pass some foul-smelling gas, and within seconds someone will be charging into your area, even if no one has talked to you for days. Happens every time.

Shade
01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Star a cubicle war:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOTBWlt0-Y0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOTBWlt0-Y0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>