PDA

View Full Version : Will you boo JO??

RaptorsFan
01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
The prodigy returns to Indy in a couple days, will it be an emotional night or just another game? It's looking like JO will be playing tonight vs the Bulls and im assuming he will start vs Indy, do you think fans will give him a standing O? Does anybody even care about him anymore? I hope he has a big game in Indy, he is still capable, esp against the Indy bigs. Opinions?

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I'll be at the game, and I'll probably boo when he is announced. My belief is that he quit on his teammates last year.

trey
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Personally, I wouldn't boo him. I feel like he did a lot of good things for us and I liked him a lot, and I still do like him. I don't feel like he turned his back on us either. I think a lot of bad luck and bad decisions by the players around him is the reason things went down hill, I don't think it was his fault. And if I had been in his position, I would have wanted out too.

Dece
01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
A game between two teams having terrible years... just another game would be giving it too much of a billing.

count55
01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
No.

avoidingtheclowns
01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
i'll be watching on my laptop so it'd be weird to boo

count55
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
i'll be watching on my laptop so it'd be weird to boo

And something being "weird" has stopped you before?

Major Cold
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
No...Artest is out for 10 days. He comes to Indy in 10 days. Will you boo then?

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
For the record, I'll boo at the drop of a hat. I once booed Steve Alford mercilessly while he was coaching Div 3 Manchester.

mildlysane
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
It would be funnier if the crowd gave him NO reaction. "And at Center, Jermaine O'Neal"

*crickets*

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I'll clap. I only boo at the refs...lol

avoidingtheclowns
01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
And something being "weird" has stopped you before?

cogent point

Jonathan
01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
No...Artest is out for 10 days. He comes to Indy in 10 days. Will you boo then?

How can you boo the man that produced the Allure CD.

2minutes twowa
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
It would be funnier if the crowd gave him NO reaction. "And at Center, Jermaine O'Neal"

*crickets*

Brilliant idea! All you'd be able to hear, along with the crickets, would be the creaking and cracking of his knees:laugh:

idioteque
01-14-2009, 12:21 PM
The only former Pacers I would boo is Ron Artest.

2minutes twowa
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
The only former Pacers I would boo is Ron Artest.

The only former Pacers I've ever booed were Ron Ron and Stephen Jackson, and I enjoyed every minute of it:)

OakMoses
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I hope he has a big game in Indy, he is still capable, esp against the Indy bigs. Opinions?

Actually, I'm pretty comfortable that any of our bigs can guard JO. He's not exceptionally quick or athletic and he doesn't really attack the basket. Actually, he'll probably be one of the easier covers that Murphy, Rasho, and Hibbert have had all year.

No, I wouldn't boo him. Polite applause, or maybe louder applause just because he's no longer a Pacer.

JayRedd
01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
There will be a standing O in my living room.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM

+1

count55
01-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Well, that's just too much information.

idioteque
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
The only former Pacers I've ever booed were Ron Ron and Stephen Jackson, and I enjoyed every minute of it:)

I have more ill will toward JO than Jackson. There is really no debate that Jackson was usually doing the best he could and the best he knew how as a Pacer. JO on the other hand...

BRushWithDeath
01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll be there. And not a chance will a boo.

Edit: Not a chance I'll boo J.O. I'd potentially boo Jim O'Brien.

Unclebuck
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
No, I wouldn't boo him - no reaction during warmups. That is usually what I do with former Pacers - although I think I might have cheered a few former Pacers, but once ther game starts they are the enemies, no matter how much I used to like them

Erik
01-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Standing O 4 J.O. :applaud: A true Pacer.

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I have more ill will toward JO than Jackson. There is really no debate that Jackson was usually doing the best he could and the best he knew how as a Pacer. JO on the other hand...

Yep.

And I have less ill will toward Artest, even though he demanded out, I can forgive him because he is a "few fries short of a Happy Meal" (nod to Clark Kellog).

Anthem
01-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Absolutely not.

Anthem
01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I have more ill will toward JO than Jackson. There is really no debate that Jackson was usually doing the best he could and the best he knew how as a Pacer.
Wowza. Talk about absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Whether Jackson actually was doing his best is out of my purvey, but there was certainly debate.

Bball
01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
If I boo'ed players, I'd have to consider it. But I don't boo players. Most likely I'd just sit quietly.... although that would be a good time to go to the bathroom or the concession stand.

Slick Pinkham
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Why boo him? His apparent eagerness to be traded got the franchise out of a huge contract and help the long-term situation by ridding us of our most overpaid player by far. He was not solely responsible for the terms of that bloated contract.

Unless you really feel he didn't do enough to stay healthy or dogged it when he could have played well, I'd think a polite smattering of applause would be in order.

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Unless you really feel he didn't do enough to stay healthy or dogged it when he could have played well.

Yeah, I do. Usually, I'm pretty fair-minded about judging hurt players - but an interview with Mark Boyle on the Dan Dakich show changed my mind when it comes to JO. Boyle got the impression that, right or wrong, that's how some of JO's teammates felt about him. That was enough to convince me.

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Hes not even going to play. Hes said he "might" be back for Sunday against the Suns

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Hes not even going to play. Hes said he "might" be back for Sunday against the Suns
He'll still be there in some fashion...

Since86
01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Brilliant idea! All you'd be able to hear, along with the crickets, would be the creaking and cracking of his knees:laugh:

I can't believe this didn't get any type of reaction from anyone.

Hilarious. Absolutely freaking hilarious!:dance:

Speed
01-14-2009, 02:26 PM
It doesn't look like he'll even play from what I've read.

HeliumFear
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna' be there,and no way am I gonna' boo JO.

Hicks
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I'll be within his earshot when he comes back, so I'd have the chance, but I won't. I'll give him polite applause, but not a standing O, and certainly not boo him.

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
He'll still be there in some fashion...

Its kind of hard to boo him when he wont have the ball in hand...are people going to boo him on the bench?

Roaming Gnome
01-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm actually going to applaud him... The man did very well when he was here and he never did anything to embarrass the franchise. He was a good citizen in Indianapolis and did a lot for a number of good causes here in Indy.

He was gracious in being here when he clearly didn't want to be here and he was gracious in leaving when he was finally traded. Jermaine is worthy of my appreciation!

Don't get me wrong, it was time for him to go, but that isn't enough to have ill-will towards someone that gave a lot to this franchise during that time.

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm actually going to applaud him... The man did very well when he was here and he never did anything to embarrass the franchise. He was a good citizen in Indianapolis and did a lot for a number of good causes here in Indy.

He was gracious in being here when he clearly didn't want to be here and he was gracious in leaving when he was finally traded. Jermaine is worthy of my appreciation!

Don't get me wrong, it was time for him to go, but that isn't enough to have ill-will towards someone that gave a lot to this franchise during that time.

Everyone knows JO wanted to be traded and he never once went public about it. Once a player goes public about wanting to be traded his value drops. Look at Vince Carter and AI

DGPR
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I boo'd Jackson at a pre-season game full force so I'd have to do a standing up, fist pumping boo for JO.

In all seriousness I won't be at the game, but I will boo in my heart.

nerveghost
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I boo'd Jackson at a pre-season game full force so I'd have to do a standing up, fist pumping boo for JO.

In all seriousness I won't be at the game, but I will boo in my heart.

funny. How about if you toss a beer at him in your heart?

* crickets *

too soon?

ChicagoJ
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
For the record, I'll boo at the drop of a hat. I once booed Steve Alford mercilessly while he was coaching Div 3 Manchester.

I really wanted to boo Steve Alford when he was coaching Manchester. But he conveniently dropped Taylor and several other top Indiana NAIA schools from the schedule for that season to boost his team's record and Division III playoff berth. Actually, he did come into Odle gymasium as an opposing coach during his first (partial) season, so I got to boo him then. As far as I know, TU and Manchester have played a home-and-home series every year since at least the 1960s except one: Alford's full season. Chicken.

One of my all time favorite players (collegiately, of course), but one of my least least favorite coaches.

Cory
01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Why would I boo? He can't help it he sucks. He did the best he can. He's just not very good.

Naptown_Seth
01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, that's just too much information.
He didn't say Standing Hampton.

Of course O stands for a lot of things....obviously.

WTF would you boo JO? Quit on his teammates? Yeah, because he's been so healthy and awesome this year proving that he wasn't just broken down last year. Because all those charges taken were onto a bed of pillows and in no way were an uncomfortable way for him to attempt to create TOs and draw fouls (which he did at a very high level). Because all the shot blocking said to his teammates "I'd just as soon let the other team score, I'm outta here".

Pathetic. JO wanted to be the man and couldn't back it up. He still wants to be healthy and can't back that up. But I've yet to see him really act like a jerk about any of it. Not getting along with Ronny doesn't exactly put him in exclusive company and it's not like Bird ever tried to earn his love either.

Spirit
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Brilliant idea! All you'd be able to hear, along with the crickets, would be the creaking and cracking of his knees:laugh:Ouch

HeliumFear
01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Its kind of hard to boo him when he wont have the ball in hand...are people going to boo him on the bench?

JO: <i>*grabs Gatorade*</i>

<i>*crowd erupts in boos*</i>

JO: :confused:

avoidingtheclowns
01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
just you wait, JO will be dominating that Gatorade in no time.

Los Angeles
01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
just you wait, JO will be dominating that Gatorade in no time.

He's going to BRING IT ...

... over to Chris Bosh so Bosh can hydrate and continue to do JO's job for him.

Anthem
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Tomorrow's headline:

Pacers lose to Raptors, Indy Fans Blame JO.

ChicagoJ
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Tomorrow's headline:

Pacers lose to Raptors, Indy Fans Blame JO.

:nod:

plutarch
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
is jo even gonna play, cuz i think he is injured

RaptorsFan
01-14-2009, 07:39 PM
IT was in alot of papers that JO was expected to play tonight vs the bulls, not start, but play like 15 min, and expected he would get a token start vs Indy. There is a pretty big controversy if JO should even start for the Raptors anymore since Bargnani FINALLY seems to be coming into his own, and believe me, it's taken awhile, but this kid is gonna be special.

From the little knowledge i have of JO's relationship with the Pacers, he has always brought it hard on D, and been classy with the media, i dont see a big reason to hate him unless you think he gave up on you. Ive heard that Bird never exactly endeared himself to his "star" player either, o well, we boo Vince mercilessly here, and he burns us everytime, but believe me Vince deserves to be boo'd i think JO should get cheered, he did alot for your franchise.

I forgot to add, he isnt playing and is likely to not play on friday :(

BlueNGold
01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure with his game I will be cheering him now...;<)

duke dynamite
01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
IT was in alot of papers that JO was expected to play tonight vs the bulls, not start, but play like 15 min, and expected he would get a token start vs Indy. There is a pretty big controversy if JO should even start for the Raptors anymore since Bargnani FINALLY seems to be coming into his own, and believe me, it's taken awhile, but this kid is gonna be special.

From the little knowledge i have of JO's relationship with the Pacers, he has always brought it hard on D, and been classy with the media, i dont see a big reason to hate him unless you think he gave up on you. Ive heard that Bird never exactly endeared himself to his "star" player either, o well, we boo Vince mercilessly here, and he burns us everytime, but believe me Vince deserves to be boo'd i think JO should get cheered, he did alot for your franchise.

I forgot to add, he isnt playing and is likely to not play on friday :(

He kind of quit on us. That could have been due to a nagging injury, high expectations, but I feel that he just didn't like it here much towards the end of his tenure.

maragin
01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I've never boo'd a Pacer or former Pacer. It's not that I wouldn't, but I've never felt compelled to. My memory isn't that short.

BlueNGold
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
He kind of quit on us. That could have been due to a nagging injury, high expectations, but I feel that he just didn't like it here much towards the end of his tenure.

I think JO gave 100% most of the time and any drop off is excusable. It's not easy playing for a boss who doesn't think much of your game or your leadership. The boss might have been right, but it's still pretty impressive how much he did try, particularly through the injuries. No, I don't think he sandbagged much. He simply was not physically able to be that good on a consistent basis (as needed by a franchise player) for the last several years.

QuickRelease
01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
You can't blame JO for the injuries (unless those were conditioning issues), or for the off court nonsense that sapped the fun out of this situation. I don't think JO deserves to be booed.

Anthem
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
You can't blame JO for the injuries (unless those were conditioning issues)
Which they weren't.

YoSoyIndy
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I think JO gave 100% most of the time and any drop off is excusable. It's not easy playing for a boss who doesn't think much of your game or your leadership. The boss might have been right, but it's still pretty impressive how much he did try, particularly through the injuries. No, I don't think he sandbagged much. He simply was not physically able to be that good on a consistent basis (as needed by a franchise player) for the last several years.

Can you give 100% most of the time? Isn't that an Anchorman comment?

I won't boo JO. I think he'll get more cheers than boos and I agree with it.

However, JO has to take some fault for something. Injuries aside (even though his injuries always lasted longer), he always spoke bigger than he was. He made himself bigger than anything he could ever be, and then would cop out every year by saying, "If we don't win, then i should be traded." It was a cop out because it was insincere. He wanted to be traded and he proved it in his post-trade comments.

I'm just interested to see where he lands once traded.

FireTheCoach
01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I'd hope that nobody boos him.... I wouldn't. I always liked JO and, like others have already said, he was a good citizen in Indy and generally didn't do stupid things to embarass the city.

Doesn't he own the club record for rebounds... or is it blocked shots.

BlueNGold
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Can you give 100% most of the time? Isn't that an Anchorman comment?

I won't boo JO. I think he'll get more cheers than boos and I agree with it.

However, JO has to take some fault for something. Injuries aside (even though his injuries always lasted longer), he always spoke bigger than he was. He made himself bigger than anything he could ever be, and then would cop out every year by saying, "If we don't win, then i should be traded." It was a cop out because it was insincere. He wanted to be traded and he proved it in his post-trade comments.

I'm just interested to see where he lands once traded.

I guess that's just another way of saying he gave 95%. In any event, it's not that relevant. Generally speaking, the man tried. As for his mouth, you got that right. He was way too much talk. I can accept an arrogant young punk if he backs it up....but JO never backed it up.

But as for boo's, no he does not deserve any at all. The entire JO era and its drama was just a bad time, but I think JO tried to play well. He just couldn't do that from the bench.

Pacers#1Fan
01-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I was going to go to the game but I'm thinking that fell through.

I do believe JO started to give up on us. I believe there were games he could have played and chose not to because his heart was no longer in Pacers' basketball. On the other hand I believe there were times when he pushed through pain and had pride. There were times when you could see the love he had for this team, state, and the game. All in all I think if I do make it to the game I will just stand quietly.

All the JO basketball cards I bought not being worth crap now does make it sting a little more lol

FireTheCoach
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
JO was a starter on a team that was a legit contender for the title.... too bad Artest melted down that night.... ohhhh what could have been.

wjs
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
JO did not play tonight in the Bulls game tonight. Not in uniform. Meantime, Bargnani scored 31.

El Pacero
01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
JO was a class act and I would never boo him. I have booed both Artest and Jackson, and will do so again. I don't care how hard they tried on the court, they sucked off the court which brought team down to nothing. Great timing after the brawl. I would boo Tinsley, too. I clap for other former Pacers before games, but like Buck said they are the enemy after the tip (not enough of an enemy to be booed though.) Scott Pollard was at the Pistons game tonight, he's at every game I go to.

larry
01-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Personally, I wouldn't boo him. I feel like he did a lot of good things for us and I liked him a lot, and I still do like him. I don't feel like he turned his back on us either. I think a lot of bad luck and bad decisions by the players around him is the reason things went down hill, I don't think it was his fault. And if I had been in his position, I would have wanted out too.

Good post!!
Bird wanted him out also, so he kind of had to go.
I feel the same about our old coach RC.
Just too much baggage hurt the club.

As for my answer to the post ?, 1 word...

NO

naptownmenace
01-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I'd like to know why someone would boo him?

For six of his eight seasons with us he was very good. He did help us win a lot of games. He played through injuries and he played with heart. When he was finally traded he was very complimentary of the Pacers organization. There's no good reason to boo him.

RaptorsFan
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Well, JO didnt play last night, and Barngagi had a career high 31 and 10, he is looking like the player we thought he could be when we drafted him 1st overall, so JO's fate seems pretty sealed, he will be moved, im hoping for Marion but that's another story.

Asmuch as some of you dont seem to like him, all the guy talked about in Toronto papers yesterday and today is how much he loves Pacer fans and how much he appreciated being part of the organization with loyal, loud fans in the heart of basketball country.... on top of that, he seems on a mission to play on friday, i would actually bet he will, he has alot of pride i think, and i really think at one point he gave his heart to you guys, and nothing can change that bond between a player and the fans. O well, i'll cheer JO when he comes back to play in Toronto one day :P Hopefully that day is soon.

RWB
01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, JO didnt play last night, and Barngagi had a career high 31 and 10, he is looking like the player we thought he could be when we drafted him 1st overall, so JO's fate seems pretty sealed, he will be moved, im hoping for Marion but that's another story.

Asmuch as some of you dont seem to like him, all the guy talked about in Toronto papers yesterday and today is how much he loves Pacer fans and how much he appreciated being part of the organization with loyal, loud fans in the heart of basketball country.... on top of that, he seems on a mission to play on friday, i would actually bet he will, he has alot of pride i think, and i really think at one point he gave his heart to you guys, and nothing can change that bond between a player and the fans. O well, i'll cheer JO when he comes back to play in Toronto one day :P Hopefully that day is soon.

Wow, I got choked up reading that. Almost as choked up as JO was when he signed that max contract after saying he was going to San Anton unless the Ps came through with the big time dollars.

P.S. Actually I don't blame JO, I blame Donnie for that one.

nerveghost
01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
If JO got his way, our team would still be coached by Isiah Thomas right now.

Mourning
01-15-2009, 02:07 PM

:amen:

clownskull
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
if i were going and he were playing, no i wouldn't boo him. but i'm glad he isn't here anymore. the knee issues are bugging him again and he likely won't even play the game. i wouldn't be surprised if he misses at least another 2 dozen games this year.
he tried to be the man for this team but didn't have the goods to back it up. as it is- he has been on the rapid decline for several years now and if he continues to play after this contract, he will be lucky to get half of what he is getting now.

RaptorsFan
01-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Raptors TV just said Calderon AND JO are making the trip to Indy, Calde is very unlikely to play, but JO is a game time decision.

Oneal07
01-15-2009, 10:56 PM
He's gonna come off the bench if he plays. Too bad I'll be at work

jeffg-body
01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
No way will I boo JO. The guy was a class act when he was here and did a lot of good for the community. In fact I'd give him a clap or two.:applaud:

Peck
01-16-2009, 12:47 AM
I could care less about O'Neal. I never boo'd Artest, Jackson or any other player.

Now when they announce O'Briens name...... We'll see.

d_c
01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Now when they announce O'Briens name...... We'll see.

Seriously, I think somebody mentioned it before, but 75% of this roster will probably look different by the time the Pacers matter again. And O'Brien probably won't be here either, but right now he's far from the team's biggest problem.

O'brien is most likely just keeping the bench warm for the next coach who's better......but chances are a better coach isn't coming until the Pacers get a better roster, as the thanks but no thanks visit from Stan Van Gundy showed.

A good coach who is in demand will want a good roster to work with. No good coach is going to come to the Pacers in their current state just so he can prove to everyone that his system is better than JOB's.

Peck
01-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Seriously, I think somebody mentioned it before, but 75% of this roster will probably look different by the time the Pacers matter again. And O'Brien probably won't be here either, but right now he's far from the team's biggest problem.

O'brien is most likely just keeping the bench warm for the next coach who's better......but chances are a better coach isn't coming until the Pacers get a better roster, as the thanks but no thanks visit from Stan Van Gundy showed.

A good coach who is in demand will want a good roster to work with. No good coach is going to come to the Pacers in their current state just so he can prove to everyone that his system is better than JOB's.

Up until tonight I would have agreed with you. However with his new indication of direction let's just say that he has now put the onus on wins now so he better d@mn well do it.

Brad8888
01-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I doubt that he will play, but if he does...

What I think we should do is clap for the injured JO if he is in the starting lineup for the Raps. He would probably be giving us a gift by likely playing like he did for us last year, thereby diminishing the Raps offensive flow and overall making them easier to defend. I recognize that he would be doing so due to his pride and passion for the game, and actually not wanting to disappoint his fans here. So, it would be a win-win situation, with his actual fans getting to see him play against us and the Pacers chances of winning the game increasing somewhat.

Erik
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, what happened?

Roaming Gnome
01-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, what happened?

First off, there wasn't that much of a crowd to make a noticeable difference. When he first entered the game, it sounded like he got as many applause as he got boos. Then from there on out, a sparse smattering of boos everytime he did something with the ball.

Shade
01-16-2009, 11:43 PM
I was surprised, and disappointed, that he got so many boos. He really didn't do anything here to deserve that (unlike Artest and Jackson).

BlueNGold
01-16-2009, 11:51 PM
I was surprised, and disappointed, that he got so many boos. He really didn't do anything here to deserve that (unlike Artest and Jackson).

I'm no JO fan and I thought the jeers were classless. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

As much as I wanted JO outta here, this is not something I like to see.