PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline

MillerTime
01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
The trade deadline is about 5 weeks away, do you guys see us making any deals, or do you think we'll wait till the summer to make a deal? I could see a team like Miami needing a PG and C to help them in the playoffs taking Tinsley and Rasho. I wouldnt mind taking Marion in return, as a large expirer.

What are your guys' thoughts?

count55
01-11-2009, 02:47 PM
The trade deadline is about 5 weeks away, do you guys see us making any deals, or do you think we'll wait till the summer to make a deal? I could see a team like Miami needing a PG and C to help them in the playoffs taking Tinsley and Rasho. I wouldnt mind taking Marion in return, as a large expirer.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I think that unless Miami hires you, that ain't gonna happen.

MillerTime
01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I think that unless Miami hires you, that ain't gonna happen.

I know it sounded like a Tinsley and Rasho for Marion, but obviously we would have to add a lot more to interest Miami

Justin Tyme
01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
My personal feeling is that Bird will make a trade or 2 b4 the deadline, but that's JMOAA.

croz24
01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
who knows? but of course i advocate trading one or more of our expirings to bring in a solid player. just don't understand the mindset of having capspace for a team located in indianapolis who's recent history leaves a lot to be desired.

Hicks
01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm hoping for a good trade in February, but I'm not expecting anything until the summer.

Infinite MAN_force
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I seriously doubt any deals happen before the deadline. This team doesn't need cap room necesarilly, but it needs cap breathing room and with Granger's extension kicking in, and the need to resign Jack, Mcbob, and whomever we draft. (who knows, maybe we even keep Stephan Graham? he is a nice injury insurance policy) We need all of Rasho and Quis's expiring contracts to do this.

The fact that the salary cap is not increasing due to the economy is another reason we should just hold onto those contracts and let them expire.

Anthem
01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I think Bird is going to have the opportunity to make some moves, and he should definitely pursue it. Our rooks have gotten some PT, so they're more ready to have solid roles than they did coming out of training camp (i.e., Rasho/Quis are more expendable).

Any moves I'd want to see, though, would be centered around improving the team next year, not (just) this year.

xtacy
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
should we make a trade before deadline? yes.

will we? i doubt it.

quis for haslem would be great.

RamBo_Lamar
01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
If a trade is made, it will involve Quis IMO.

He has done a great job of restoring himself as a valuable asset that can help any team.

vnzla81
01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I would love for them to make a trade that give them draft picks and cap release, maybe trading, quis,rasho,foster,tinsley, even murphy because his contract is to big. They need to make a trade to improve their defense, I like murphy and foster, but they are not that good defending in the paint, they are more like MATADOR defenders. This could also give more playing time to the rookies, Mc Roberts and Roy need more playing time.

idioteque
01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I honestly don't know if they'll deal before the summer or not.

On one hand, I think with Dunleavy back, Bird thinks this team will make the playoffs and may not want to shake things up too much going into the stretch. Remember, the Pacers are losing money and the Pacers WILL generate revenue from making the playoffs. Like it or not when it comes to draft positioning, it is in the Pacers immediate interest to make the playoffs.

On the other hand, if we let Quis and Rasho just walk we won't get anything in exchange. We could attempt to trade them in order to get some return, since we are unlikely to get any through the free agent market.

Depends on what road TPTB take.

aero
01-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I could see these players being moved:

Maceo Baston (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maceo_baston/index.html?nav=page) , Marquis Daniels (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marquis_daniels/index.html?nav=page) , Travis Diener (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/travis_diener/index.html?nav=page) ,Josh McRoberts (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_mcroberts/index.html?nav=page) and possible Jeff Foster...yeah i dont want Jeff to go but if the right deal comes along i expect Larry to pull the trigger.

cinotimz
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Unless Daniels has complications from his groin injury, I fully expect him to be a part of a package that is sent away by the trade deadline.

DrFife
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
This thread tickles me because I agree at least somewhat with every post ... (so where does this put me?? :o) ... but I will echo Anthem on this one. TPTB must believe that we still have a legit chance of making the playoffs, so a trade has the potential not only to help us in that pursuit, but to maintain/heighten fan interest as well. Yes, more than ever, management will be vigilant against cost issues, but Larry expects this team to crest in two to three years, so the time is now to start growing as (post-season) competitors, and making decisions with an eye to next year (and beyond) is paramount.

2minutes twowa
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I think Bird will make some sort of move before the deadline, I just don't think it will be anything earth shattering.

BRushWithDeath
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I think they have to do something. But I'm not expecting anything until the offseason.

Shade
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
For some reason, unless we go on a tear, I think some kind of move will be made before the trade deadline. Bird cannot at all be pleased with this season so far.

sloopjohnb
01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think we have much of a shot at getting (or ultimately affording to re-sign) Marion. I wish because he's one of my favorites, but let's be realistic here. If we're attempting to move Tinsley (which has to be the top trade priority) we're probably going to have to get the worst deal of any trade involving him. Of course, throwing in a more valuable commodity to entice a team to take Tinsley (such as Dunleavy or Daniels) might work.

I think they'll wait til the summer to make a move. At the same time, maybe not. We are falling further and further away from playoff contention with each loss that we take. Bottom line, we're not as good as the teams beating us and we are missing pieces to this team. Rebuilding through the draft and trades are the only way for a smaller market team to rebuild. No big name free agent is going to sign with Indiana.

The thing is, we're not getting it done. We're losing close games. Our chemistry might be wonderful in the locker room, but on the court, we are not the better team about 65% of the time. We need more. Maybe some veteran talent for some more unproven youth. Veteran talent being that of Tinsley paired with (choose any) Daniels, Dunleavy, Murphy, Foster. Murphy probably makes too much to be considered. Daniels has played well and is in the final year of his contract. I wouldn't want Dunleavy going unless we're getting something of value in return (that would include either a draft pick, or a player taken in the lottery some time in the past year or two). Any team would love to have Foster.

Besides Granger, Bird should be willing to part with any player on this team in order to make a Tinsley trade more beneficial. That's just my personal opinion.

OakMoses
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
who knows? but of course i advocate trading one or more of our expirings to bring in a solid player. just don't understand the mindset of having capspace for a team located in indianapolis who's recent history leaves a lot to be desired.

I completely agree with you.

I think Bird will try very hard to make a trade at the deadline, but I don't really think he'll be able to find a deal that he likes. Bird is not under a lot of pressure to make a deal. The team has a good shot at making the playoffs, and there are no bad apples left (other than Tinsley). I see 'Quis and Rasho as being both mildly desired by other teams and not at all essential to our team, so they seem like natural candidates, but I don't see a team who needs them that will want to give us anything of value.

Shade
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm not really interested in Marion. He's proven to be more of a "me" kind of player, and we really don't need that on this team.

Not to mention his unorthodox shooting form makes me cry.

pacergod2
01-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Bottom Line is that we will need to make a trade this off-season to adjust our cap situation. This is because I am afraid that we won't have enough space to add enough players. We have roughly 57,800,000 tied up next year in the 9 returning players. Take into consideration that Rasho, Daniels, Baston, Jack, Graham, and McRoberts are not included in any fashion into this number. Note that we have to sign 4 to 6 players, since Fatman is still on our books. I am sure we will want 14 players for practice and injuries so lets assume 6. We will have 2 draft picks this year. Our first and Dallas' second. We owe Miami a second rounder this year, for the beloved Stanko, however I am not sure if it is stipulated as OUR second or the worst/best second we own the rights to. Either way the second rounder will get a second rounder deal.

We could trade one of either Murphy, Tinsley, or Dunleavy this off-season in a two-for-one or three-for-two type of deal where we get a few more bodies for what we are giving one of these three. Unfortunately, I don't think we want to get rid of Dunleavy for lesser players. Nobody wants Tinsley at all. Murphy would net us at least one other contract just as bad and a young player that probably isn't good enough to contribute to the rebuilding.

As for the draft, assuming we don't actually get into the top 3, we will be ****** out of luck for Griffin, Monroe, and Hill. So assuming our pick is somewhere from 7-10, we could parlay that pick into either Minnesota's two late firsts or OKC's two late firsts. This would give us two picks between 20 and 25. There are several solid PG and PF prospects in this draft projected as late firsts. This would allow us to fill extra roster spots with young talent. I am not much more impressed with anything between 7-10 than I am with a lot of the players still available in the 20's. We then are looking at about $5M ($2+M avg. per first and 0.8M for 2nd) in salary to three picks, bringing our total salary to 62,800,000.

If we could pull off one of these trade scenarios, that leaves us with our MLE to spread across three players. We could also use our Bi-annual exception to sign a player. I think that might be well used to resign McRoberts, which would give him a two year, ~$4M deal. If we think he will sign for less try to use that BAE on someone else. I feel like we could get Jack and a Big Man (my hopes would be Brandon Bass) for the MLE. I just foresee a scenario where we absolutely have to allow the current expiring players' contracts to expire and make some sort of trade so we aren't looking at LT hell, especially if the LT threshold doesn't increase much. My thought is that it will increase slightly to about 72.5 to 72.8M.

Dr. Awesome
01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
We won't make one before the deadline - get it in writing. However, we might make one in the summer, but I don't expect it unless its something like a pickswap similar to the Portland trade.

dohman
01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
We do not have the players needed to get the type of player we need at PF. I see us staying put until the offseason.

duke dynamite
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM

What does the location have to do with anything?

vnzla81
01-12-2009, 08:35 PM

some players don't want to come here, remember T'mac long time ago? or Lamar Odom last year, he said he did not wanted to come here, of course later on he retracted

MillerTime
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Location has a lot to do with it. Shaq for example will not play for any cold city. Thats why hes only played for Orlando, LA, Miami and Phx. Location is a big factor for some of these players.

With all this Lebron and NY talk, theres no winning team in NY, its just the location that attracts players there

McKeyFan
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Does resigning Jeff hurt our chances of trading him? Or is he still a valuable trading asset for us?

d_c
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Does resigning Jeff hurt our chances of trading him? Or is he still a valuable trading asset for us?

I wouldn't say it helps the chances of trading him, but he's still an asset. I'm sure the Pacers were aware of his value at the time of his signing. They knew what they could get for him.

But the fact that they just decided to re-sign him indicates that they preferred to just have Foster over whatever stuff other teams were willing to offer for him.

MillerTime
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Hes still a valuable asset and can be traded. He leads the league in offensive rebs per 48 mins. A lot of teams would love a vertern C to come off the bench, and Foster would be one of them.

I remember a while ago Utah was interested in him

MillerTime
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
some players don't want to come here, remember T'mac long time ago? or Lamar Odom last year, he said he did not wanted to come here, of course later on he retracted

When did we make a move for TMac? I dont remember that

d_c
01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Hes still a valuable asset and can be traded. He leads the league in offensive rebs per 48 mins. A lot of teams would love a vertern C to come off the bench, and Foster would be one of them.

I remember a while ago Utah was interested in him

Utah probably still is interested in him. They're just unwilling to give up anything the Pacers would want.

vnzla81
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
When did we make a move for TMac? I dont remember that

that was when he was deciding between Houston, Indiana and another team ,then he end up going to houston. I think that was when the pacers had a really good team. 2003 2004 I think

vnzla81
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I found this article about Tmac and the pacers and I remember that Donnie Walsh talked about this been one of his regrets when he resigned with the pacers.(not signing Tmac)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-06-20-shaq-tmac_x.htm

By John Denton, Florida Today

A more likely trade option for McGrady and the Magic could be with Indiana. The Pacers have an overflow of talent at the two forward positions and are in great need of the scoring that McGrady could provide. McGrady has won the last two NBA scoring titles, averaging 32.1 points in 2002-03 and 28 points this past season. Also, the Pacers also are hungry to reload after getting beaten in the Eastern Conference Finals by eventual champion Detroit.

Indiana might be willing to offer a package that includes small forward Ron Artest, the league's reigning Defensive Player of the Year, and promising power forwards Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender. Because their three salaries equal $19 million, the Magic might have to include either Juwan Howard or Drew Gooden to make the trade work.

"I had some conversations (with Weisbrod)," Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh admitted to the Indianapolis Star on Saturday night. "They listened and they were going to talk to McGrady and then they were going to get back to me. They haven't gotten back to me. We have interest and we talked about several players. That's where it was left."

Another factor in a potential Indiana-Orlando trade is that McGrady and Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal are close friends. Both are represented by Tellem, as is Pacers veteran guard Reggie Miller. Tellem is one of the most powerful agents in all of sports and was originally against McGrady coming to Orlando when he signed with the Magic in 2000. Tellem, who favored Chicago over Orlando in 2000, could be pushing now for McGrady to move.

Anthem
01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
There's an option for "neither." Why isn't there an option for "both?"

Cherokee
01-13-2009, 02:28 AM
How about JOB, Foster, and Jack to Miami for Marion and two vodka tonics?

Hicks
01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I remember that. I think Orlando ended up wanting Tinsley, Artest, Harrington, and Bender, and we said no. Hindsight's a *****.

MillerTime
01-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I found this article about Tmac and the pacers and I remember that Donnie Walsh talked about this been one of his regrets when he resigned with the pacers.(not signing Tmac)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-06-20-shaq-tmac_x.htm

By John Denton, Florida Today

A more likely trade option for McGrady and the Magic could be with Indiana. The Pacers have an overflow of talent at the two forward positions and are in great need of the scoring that McGrady could provide. McGrady has won the last two NBA scoring titles, averaging 32.1 points in 2002-03 and 28 points this past season. Also, the Pacers also are hungry to reload after getting beaten in the Eastern Conference Finals by eventual champion Detroit.

Indiana might be willing to offer a package that includes small forward Ron Artest, the league's reigning Defensive Player of the Year, and promising power forwards Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender. Because their three salaries equal $19 million, the Magic might have to include either Juwan Howard or Drew Gooden to make the trade work.

"I had some conversations (with Weisbrod)," Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh admitted to the Indianapolis Star on Saturday night. "They listened and they were going to talk to McGrady and then they were going to get back to me. They haven't gotten back to me. We have interest and we talked about several players. That's where it was left."

Another factor in a potential Indiana-Orlando trade is that McGrady and Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal are close friends. Both are represented by Tellem, as is Pacers veteran guard Reggie Miller. Tellem is one of the most powerful agents in all of sports and was originally against McGrady coming to Orlando when he signed with the Magic in 2000. Tellem, who favored Chicago over Orlando in 2000, could be pushing now for McGrady to move.

Imagine we traded Artest, Bender and Harrington for TMac and Gooden :cry:

vnzla81
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Imagine we traded Artest, Bender and Harrington for TMac and Gooden :cry:

we could have 3 guys in wheel chair with JO,Tmac and JT :laugh:

Anthem
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
we could have 3 guys in wheel chair with JO,Tmac and JT :laugh:
Might have gotten a title before it all fell apart, though.

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Might have gotten a title before it all fell apart, though.

Exactly. We would have had an amazing team back then if that deal went through. If Im correct, didnt the Brawl happen the very next season??? So if we traded away Artest that Brawl wouldnt have happend :(

Tinsley
Reggie
TMac
Gooden
JO

WWWOOOWWW

Only if Walsh could have gotten it done

cinotimz
01-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Exactly. We would have had an amazing team back then if that deal went through. If Im correct, didnt the Brawl happen the very next season??? So if we traded away Artest that Brawl wouldnt have happend :(

Tinsley
Reggie
TMac
Gooden
JO

WWWOOOWWW

Only if Walsh could have gotten it done

I dont know. That team doesnt strike me as championship caliber with regard to the defensive end. Especially when you consider the teams we were battling like the Pistons. I could see that Pistons team scoring alot more easily against us with that team than we wouldve against them.

If I recall, I think the real stumbling block was Bender. Pacers didnt want to give up all their depth at the 3. And at that time Bender was still being thought of the next coming of christ with a basketball. And by taking Bender along with Harrington in addition to Artest, you totally depleted the forward ranks-which at the time was considered incredibly strong-especially if you penciled in JO at a forward slot.

And Im pretty sure Donnie secretly had plans of a 3 player rotation of TMac, Reggie, and Bender on the wing. Donnies love of Bender surpassed the obsession phase.

So really....blame Camby for that trade not happening.

Reckoner
01-14-2009, 05:30 AM
I'd like the team to keep a core of Granger, Ford, Jack, Rush, Hibbert and 1 of Dunleavy or Daniels (my mind keeps changing on these 2) with everyone else up for trade.

Hopefully we can use our expirings for some real good draft picks.

The problem is that the type of player (good post offense and defense big man) we need is the type of player that coach won't give many minutes to.

sloopjohnb
01-14-2009, 09:25 AM

By "Jeff" do you mean Jeff Foster? If so then we already have him signed through 2010/11.

BRushWithDeath
01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
By "Jeff" do you mean Jeff Foster? If so then we already have him signed through 2010/11.

That's his point. That fact that he's no longer an expiring could hurt the Pacers chances of moving him.

MillerTime
01-14-2009, 02:31 PM
That's his point. That fact that he's no longer an expiring could hurt the Pacers chances of moving him.

Hes still a tradable asset. He doesnt have a HUGE contract and he is very servicable. One of the hardest workers in the NBA.

Any team would want him as a backup C

CableKC
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I think that IF a trade were to happen, it would be before the trade deadline....involving either Rasho ( more then likely ) or Marquis ( far less likely since he's doing so well )....or we won't make one at all.

You have to remember that after February 19th, we won't have any players on our roster that would entice any other team since Rasho/Marquis will count towards the 2008 Salary Cap and will likely be allowed to expire ( unless Marquis Team option is picked up ....which I find unlikely ). On top of that....no team will really want Dunleavy or Murphy's contract on their books in 2010....which means that we won't really have any real tradeable assets that we would want to move.

If there is any trade....my guess is that Rasho will be traded to some Playoff bound Half-court team that wants a solid Backup Center that can come in for 20+ minutes and be effective. Unless we get a very solid trade offer for Marquis.....I suspect that once he returns....he will fill the role that Graham is currently filling....a rotational SG that will play defense and score for 20-24 mpg.