PDA

View Full Version : Can Tin's Play in D-League?

PacerGuy
01-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I know this is likely a repeat Q, but I can not remember the answer, & w/ the trade deadline starting to creep closer & closer, I began to wonder more & more about thisnow then when I first saw someone w/ the Q earlier in the year.

Can we send Jammal to D-League, so he can show he is in shape & we can "showcase" him & remind the league he can still play & help a team?

This would keep him out of a Pacer uniform & yet remind the league that this guy (when healthy & his head is on straight) is a heck of a PG. I have to believe that we could still package Tin's w/ an expiring contract (Q, Rasho) & take back someone who has a similar length contract as JT, & likely get a pick as well. I see where several teams are in need of a wing (Q), & several still need help @ PG. I also read where other bad contracts (E.Curry) are being shopped hard, & if he can go, why can't JT? wAlso, w/ 1/2 of t/y's salery already paid out, & the 3 mill we could add (if needed), a team would only be on the hook for 2 yrs worth of salery, & that final year would be as an expiring contract - thus having good value. In other words, if you are a team w/o a play in the '10 FA mess, & have a hole @ PG, I can not see JT as a huge long-term risk.

*On a side note, I would love us to land Conely - who is rumored to be available - as a b/u PG w/ potential, & a lure for GO in '12 to come home.

BRushWithDeath
01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
No he cannot.

Bball
01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Too many years in the league...

NuffSaid
01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
If I remember the rule correctly, only rookies and sophomore can play in the D-League. Vets (3-yrs NBA experience or more) cannot.

d_c
01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
To be more specific, players with 3 or more years in the NBA can play in the DLeague, but not if they are on an NBA roster.

A longtime vet with more than 3 years NBA experience who is bouncing back and forth between 10 day contracts and the DLeague is always eligible for the DLeague.

imawhat
01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
This is an interesting topic of discussion.

As reported on NBATV a couple of days ago, these rules can change with the next collective bargaining agreements.

It sounds like several GMs are open to the idea of making anyone eligible for D-League play.

Roaming Gnome
01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
This is an interesting topic of discussion.

As reported on NBATV a couple of days ago, these rules can change with the next collective bargaining agreements.

It sounds like several GMs are open to the idea of making anyone eligible for D-League play.

I highly doubt that the players union is going to find that acceptable. I remember the large sticking point in creating the D-league was sending players down and the current set-up with rookies and sophmores being eligible was the compromise.

BRushWithDeath
01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd like to see them make players coming off injury eligible to play. Rehab stints in the D-League seem like a good idea to me.

YoSoyIndy
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Even if he can play, I don't know how the D-League would showcase his talents. The only thing it could do is make him look worse. Anyone would expect a starting NBA PG to be the best player on the court.