PDA

View Full Version : reggie's defence

pianoman
01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I didn't really get into basketball (or sports in general) until reggie's second to last season. I never really got to see him in his prime. Throughout his career, how was Reggie's defense? I'm pretty sure he wasn't a lockdown defender, but was he decent?

Kstat
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
passable. In his prime, he was halfway decent.

His best defense was always getting his opponent in foul trouble and landing him on the bench. For that reason, he rarely got lit up.

Reggie always knew his man's foul count. Once it got close to the danger zone, reggie would throw 2 or 3 pump fakes every time he touched the ball to try to get his man in the air.

cramerica
01-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Kstat nailed it down pretty good. Reggie always got a bad rap for his defense. I didn't think he was all that bad.

YoSoyIndy
01-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Reggie was good at staying between his man and the basket. I actually thought he got better at defense his last few years because he finally realized what he was and what he wasn't.

count55
01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
He was OK. He did a good job of keeping his guy in front of him, and his length helped him play passing lanes and challenge shots. He was a smart player.

His biggest weakness was his strength. He'd get in a lot of trouble if his guy was able to get him in the post because he simply wasn't strong enough.

Bball
01-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Reggie's defense?
Like chicken fighting a woman.

Or so it's been said...

croz24
01-11-2009, 03:36 PM
every aspect of reggie's game imo has been underrated by most, including his defense.

Anthem
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
His biggest weakness was his strength. He'd get in a lot of trouble if his guy was able to get him in the post because he simply wasn't strong enough.
Oh yeah. I still have nightmares about MJ backing Reggie down for layup after layup after layup.

RamBo_Lamar
01-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Early in Reggie's career his defense was very poor, but eventually as he
shouldered more and more team responsibility, he realized the importance
of defense and made it a point to "get it".

Whatever Reggie's defensive shortcomings, they weren't from lack of
trying. He gave very good effort on most nights trying to stay with his
man and keeping his arms active.

His slender physique though did leave him susceptible to being out-muscled
by stronger players. That fact that night-in and night-out he could take
a real physical beating from alot of these guys he tried to defend, yet still
kept coming back through the pain without being sidelined for prolonged
periods made him seem like somewhat of an iron-man.

Other than his legendary shooting abilities, Reggies defensive efforts were
a big part of making him the remarkable player that he was.

NuffSaid
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Reggie was never a lock-down defender, but he unlike most players at his position understood the importance of getting his man in foul trouble and taking advantage of it. Hence, the leg kick-out and pump-fakes he mastered throughout his career.

SGs aren't known to be tough defenders. Most expend alot of energy just running the floor knocking down 3-pointers - the pure shooters do anyway. Individual defense has been left to the Centers, PFs, PGs and SF. That's not to say a SG shouldn't be able to force his man into bad shots which Reggie was able to do from time-to-time. But as a whole, I never EVER expected Reggie or any SG to be a lockdown, shot blocking/deflecting defender. Nor do I expect them to get a ton of steals. But Reggie was good in that area as well. So, as a player at his position relative to all others, I thought Reggie did very good. I just think he (and other SGs) get a bad rap for expecting to be solid defenders when the nature of their position doesn't call for it.

Reggie was who Reggie was...clutch, determined and the emotional floor general this team relished.

'Nuff Said.

imawhat
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree with pretty much everything said here.

The only thing I'd add is that Reggie's defense was occasionally aided by his offense in another way; he'd tire his opponent by running all over the court and forcing his man into screens.

It was easier for Reggie to guard someone that was exhausted.