PDA

View Full Version : Darius Miles' Preseason Games Count Against His Ten

Anthem
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Wow, I didn't realize it was this bad. We no longer need to worry about them pursuing Danny, so we can avoid the situation entirely. But the games Miles played in the preseason count against his 10 games, so the dude only needs to play 2 games to wreck the Blazers franchise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Am1UoxdW6XyvJh_s63WQpRK8vLYF?slug=aw-milesblazers010709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ThA HoyA
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
whoever picks him up to play those 2 should be executive of the year :D

CableKC
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Seriously......how can a team not pay him to play for 2 games?

PacerGuy
01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Seriously......how can a team not pay him to play for 2 games?

Especially if you are a team in the West!
It might seem like dirty pool to some (esp in Portland), but they rolled the dice & cut him loose. If I was going to be playing against them every year, I would want to delay thier rise as much as possible - & this would go a long way in doing so.
Here's an idea!!!.....
I say we make a move (release Basten?) & pick him up. Play him 1 game, & then package him w/ Tinsley to Portland, where they can ensure he sits the rest of the way....
Sure, they have to eat Tinsley, but he's still cheaper! :D

Fool
01-09-2009, 12:48 AM
That's called collusion.

rel
01-09-2009, 02:21 AM
blazers warnin' the league...dont play miles or we'll SUE!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/01/09/Blazers.Miles/index.html

Bball
01-09-2009, 02:22 AM
That's called collusion.

It would only be collusion if you planned it all ahead of time (if then) between the two teams. If you just rolled the dice, signed him, and then called Portland with the offer it wouldn't be collusion.

SoupIsGood
01-09-2009, 03:05 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/01/09/Blazers.Miles/index.html

What a load of BS. Miles should sue them.

Hicks
01-09-2009, 03:19 AM

Now I really hope someone screws them.

deekay85
01-09-2009, 04:49 AM
me too

rexnom
01-09-2009, 05:38 AM
I don't see how they could prove anything if a team picks him up and plays him for like four games and doesn't release him until the summer - if at all.

I also agree that Miles should consider suing them - or at least some recourse - because behind all of this is a player making a legit bid to get his career back. What ********.

DisplacedKnick
01-09-2009, 06:36 AM
I don't see how they could prove anything if a team picks him up and plays him for like four games and doesn't release him until the summer - if at all.

I also agree that Miles should consider suing them - or at least some recourse - because behind all of this is a player making a legit bid to get his career back. What ********.

Oh, the Players' Assoc will be all over this - they should sue, right now, for the remaining balance of his contract, if it became guaranteed, plus punitive.

Isn't this memo just as much a case of tampering as talking about a player under contract to another team?

Bball
01-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Portland is going to argue the memo specifically outlines if a team was to sign Miles with the intent to hurt Portland then that is where they have a problem.

Miles and/or the Player's Association will argue that the memo itself was unnecessary because of course Portland has the right to protect their franchise against any entity that would attempt to hurt them but by specifically mentioning Miles and his situation they unfairly have given teams a reason to think twice about taking a chance on Miles' comeback attempt. So it would amount to a form of tampering.

Not only that, but would a team be necessarily doing anything illegal or actionable to sign Miles (even if a portion of their motivation was to hurt Portland) since Miles is a FA?

I think Portland could've accomplished the same thing with a memo that didn't get quite so specific to mention Miles by name or the sole situation. Just make it a generic, and larger scope type of warning. Too late for that now. They might've cooled team interest in the league but they've opened another door that will seek to accomplish what they were looking to avoid.. only now it could be messier and via a lawsuit.

Pacersfan46
01-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Holy Mary Mother of God.

If I'm Miles, I'm suing.

I, myself .... I like some of Portland's players, and wish them the best. However that front office, I wish nothing but struggles for after this. I actually liked Portland, and cheered them on because I like the team they put on the floor .... but this may trump that. This is moronic, and childish. Wow.

-- Steve --

Justin Tyme
01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Especially if you are a team in the West!
It might seem like dirty pool to some (esp in Portland), but they rolled the dice & cut him loose. If I was going to be playing against them every year, I would want to delay thier rise as much as possible - & this would go a long way in doing so.
Here's an idea!!!.....
I say we make a move (release Basten?) & pick him up. Play him 1 game, & then package him w/ Tinsley to Portland, where they can ensure he sits the rest of the way....
Sure, they have to eat Tinsley, but he's still cheaper! :D

Great idea, but I'm not sure Tinsley is cheaper at this point. Maybe someone in PD Admin could point out to Mr. Bird your grandiose idea. Anything is worth a try to get rid of Tinsley.

Kegboy
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I think you guys are missing the point. Portland doesn't care if Miles sues. Last time I checked Paul Allen didn't lose all his money to Maddof. This is about keeping their cap space, plain and simple.

Jonathan
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Who do the Blazers think they are? They are the organization that messed up. I do not feel sorry for them. Could they sign Miles and bench him the rest of the season so he does not have to play 2 games?

Major Cold
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
The Kings should do this or the Mavs. I would think both teams can afford the law suit or the lawyers to stop the law suit in its tracks.

And Miles should sue them. They are basically saying don't hire this employee for no good reason.

PacerGuy
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
David Stern should punish Portland for this "threat" against the league owners & it's efforts to punish a player right to work by automatically kicking in the 2 games/ making his salery active immediately!!!
Portland benifited by getting rid of Miles (who they wanted gone before his injury). Now, if he can play, they need to pay!

Shade
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
The Blazers just opened themselves up to a whole world of hurt by issuing that statement.

Not smart.

QuickRelease
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
They just sound desperate in that statement to me. That luxury tax hit is going to force them to make some drastic moves. So, hopefully, someone grabs up Miles before the trade deadline, then we reacquire Bayless by offering expirings and draft picks!

Shade
01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
They just sound desperate in that statement to me. That luxury tax hit is going to force them to make some drastic moves. So, hopefully, someone grabs up Miles before the trade deadline, then we reacquire Bayless by offering expirings and draft picks!

Don't toy with my emotions. :mad:

SoupIsGood
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
David Stern should punish Portland for this "threat" against the league owners & it's efforts to punish a player right to work by automatically kicking in the 2 games/ making his salery active immediately!!!

Indeed. He should totally do that... but he won't.

PacerGuy
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I think J.Buss/Phil Jack, M.Cuban, or even G.Pop should pick this cat up TODAY, play him once, then wait till their next visit to Portland, where they should START HIM!!! That would make me very happy!!! :p

Lamar Mundane
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I think J.Buss/Phil Jack, M.Cuban, or even G.Pop should pick this cat up TODAY, play him once, then wait till their next visit to Portland, where they should START HIM!!! That would make me very happy!!! :p

This would be hilarious, lol. But I kinda feel bad for Miles. How bad would it suck to know you are just a pawn in all of this. Even if someone picked him up right now, he would know it's not b/c they want his skills, but b/c he's essentially a thorn in another team's side. Must be a sucky feeling.

rexnom
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I think you guys are missing the point. Portland doesn't care if Miles sues. Last time I checked Paul Allen didn't lose all his money to Maddof. This is about keeping their cap space, plain and simple.
Yeah, but a lawsuit could spur Stern to act in some way or another. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think this is almost as bad as the Joe Smith situation.

CableKC
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I guess the only grounds the Blazers FO has is to prove whether the Team signing Miles to a contract is in fact doing it for maliscious intent. Unless you have some FO that is as stupid as Stackhouse was when he could have been traded to the Nets in the Kidd Trade and says something publically.....then it would be very hard to prove.

If anything, like most of you have said....this most hurts Miles....where it pretty much boils down to the Blazers telling teams not to hire him for fear of legal/financial retribution.

If the Players Association doesn't say anything I'd be surprised.

pacerDU
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Portland doing this almost ensures Miles gets picked up. Nobody respects being told they can't do something or being threatened to not do something totally within their right.

If anything, I think this email (that has some nerve in my opinion), will make a team actually want to sign him for spite. Where teams may have just been looking at him before for his possible playing contribution, I think more teams might now be interested to do it just because of this... "dare" I guess you could call it.

I mean, yes they're saying nobody better sign him just to mess up Portland's financial situation, but proving that would be extraordinarily difficult.

Kegboy
01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I lived in Portland all of last season and saw first hand how ridiculous the Blazers front office is. He was fully capable of playing last season. They barred him from participating in practice with the team, but he did come to the facility to get some of his own work in after the team finished up. From what I heard, he would have been one of the better players on the team.

Kevin Pritchard (Blazers GM) is a pompous, cocky *******. D should have sued them last season for not letting him play, he definitely should sue him now for this horrendous act.

Eh, you just don't like the guy cause he grew up in Noblesville. :-p

Seriously, if Darius Miles were one of the better guys on the team, why couldn't he stick in freakin' Memphis then? If he could play in anyone's rotation, someone would have signed him by now. Now, if he wants to go to court and debate whether that's because he's hurt or he sucks, that's up to him.

Quis
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/expertsarchive;_ylt=AnaokjIXd8.xejtdrwi1aX3TjdIF?a uthor=Adrian+Wojnarowski), Yahoo! Sports

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmUbiAun_9pxpc58lirmF8u8vLYF?slug=aw-gilbertresponse010909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Cavs owner upset with Blazers’ threat By Adrian Wojnarowski (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/expertsarchive;_ylt=AnaokjIXd8.xejtdrwi1aX3TjdIF?a uthor=Adrian+Wojnarowski), Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 20 minutes ago<script type="text/javascript">:"after","loggedIn":false});</script>

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/cn/headshots/adrian_wojnarowski.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/expertsarchive;_ylt=AoMqoSGIGGTYFYB6ED4inrHTjdIF?a uthor=Adrian+Wojnarowski)
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/p/yse_lo_70x24_2.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/yhoo/nba/analysis/SIG=11daaeced;_ylt=AjRm6EvGBcH_gx6OL4_u3HPTjdIF/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/top/expertscorner)

The Portland Trail Blazers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/por/;_ylt=AsK5sKAj3t5PFhJWmJ.uQ.PTjdIF)’ threat to possibly sue any team that signs free-agent forward Darius Miles (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3402/;_ylt=AgFRv1nVYJpLQM0pwakcnOXTjdIF) has created a firestorm of reaction around the league.
Cleveland Cavaliers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/cle/;_ylt=AlMNtiitkE80KipOG.MBvmfTjdIF) owner Dan Gilbert emailed Blazers president Larry Miller to say he took exception with Portland’s threat (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aj_5VvKdo4a1IgdrOsCSdxLTjdIF?slug=aw-blazersthreat010809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).
Yahoo! Sports obtained Gilbert’s email because it was carboned to the rest of the league’s owners and executives.
“With all due respect…although the Cleveland Cavaliers have no interest in signing Darius Miles and will not be signing Darius Miles,” Gilbert wrote, “I find your email quite peculiar from two standpoints:
“1. It’s dead wrong. I believe that all 30 NBA teams were and are fully aware of the terms and provisions of the collective bargaining agreement as to which all teams and the NBA are a party to, including the Portland Trailblazers.

“2. Are legal threats through a mass email the best way to circumvent the known potential consequences that could result from the Trailblazers decisions and actions they took with respect to Darius Miles?
“I fully understand the frustration you and your team’s ownership must be feeling in regards to this situation, but a preemptive threat of ‘litigation’ directed at all of your partners through a group email does not sit well with me and seems to be incongruent with the spirit of keeping a ‘fiduciary duty’ and good ‘partner-like duty’ to your ‘NBA joint venturers.’
“I would think there has got to be a better tactic than this one.”

pacergod2
01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
The team that needs to go after him is the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are the young promising team in their division that will be competing with the Blazers for the next decade. They are not good and would have a legitimate reason to go after a player with the upside of Miles. If they sign him to a three year deal with the last two years non-guaranteed it looks like they are taking a chance on him in the long term and would probably get away with it in any court room setting. And since they are in the same division, Portland won't be trading with them anyway, so who cares. If I am Oklahoma City maybe this prevents them from resigning a few of their good young players and being unable to trade easily with their LT situation. Oklahoma City has a great cap situation which will allow them to tweak their roster over the next two-plus years, and they completely handicapped one of the two top teams in their division.

If I am a team from the East I don't trade with them because Portland's cap situation without that contract might end up making a great trade partner at some point. I wouldn't be taking away any of my future options at that point, especially not for Darius Miles.

Major Cold
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
The team that needs to go after him is the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are the young promising team in their division that will be competing with the Blazers for the next decade. They are not good and would have a legitimate reason to go after a player with the upside of Miles. If they sign him to a three year deal with the last two years non-guaranteed it looks like they are taking a chance on him in the long term and would probably get away with it in any court room setting. And since they are in the same division, Portland won't be trading with them anyway, so who cares. If I am Oklahoma City maybe this prevents them from resigning a few of their good young players and being unable to trade easily with their LT situation. Oklahoma City has a great cap situation which will allow them to tweak their roster over the next two-plus years, and they completely handicapped one of the two top teams in their division.

If I am a team from the East I don't trade with them because Portland's cap situation without that contract might end up making a great trade partner at some point. I wouldn't be taking away any of my future options at that point, especially not for Darius Miles.

They have Jeff Green though...:p

pacergod2
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
They have Jeff Green though...:p

Because they would be signing him for his talents.... RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?!?!?!?!

arenn
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
IANAL, but if anyone would appear to have a basis for legal action, it's Miles, whose career is jeopardized by these threats.

Moses
01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
IANAL, but if anyone would appear to have a basis for legal action, it's Miles, whose career is jeopardized by these threats.
Bingo. I think the Blazers would have been better off saying absolutely nothing. Now if Miles doesn't get signed by seasons end, he will probably sue Portland and win.

grace
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Kevin Pritchard (Blazers GM) is a pompous, cocky *******. D should have sued them last season for not letting him play, he definitely should sue him now for this horrendous act.

I take it you're not the one with the Washington State license plate that says "INKPWT".

GO!!!!!
01-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I haven't read the email i'm just being a devils advocate, but didn't Portland say, will consider legal action by anyone who only signs Miles with the intention of playing him two games and then releasing him with the sole intention of adding to Portland's salery cap..

can anyone actully sue over that... I mean they can argue it's not benefical for Miles either to be used as a pawn...

It's low no doubt about it and I hope some one gives him a game if he can still play..

I'm just thinking, their Lawyers would have signed of on the document before he emailed it...

Roy Munson
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I take it you're not the one with the Washington State license plate that says "INKPWT".

What does "INKPWT" mean?

QuickRelease
01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
What does "INKPWT" mean?

Yeah, I was wondering what that meant as well. Also wondering what IANAL means.

MyFavMartin
01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I think a team like the Clippers could easily justify signing Miles based on basketball needs, particularly for only a 10 day contract. Ricky Davis is suspended for 5 games (drugs), and could justify a need for a better backup at SF/PF as Miles could be an upgrade over Steve Novak.

I could also justify a Clippers trade for Tinsley with a PG rotation of Mardy Collins and Jason Hart, but that's another thread.

Hicks
01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't know about IANAL means, but I think INKPWT means In Kevin Pritchard We Trust

Anthem
01-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what that meant as well. Also wondering what IANAL means.
I am not a lawyer.

No idea on the other one though.

rexnom
01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
And there's the lawsuit...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3822392&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Thanks RSS Feed/RoboHicks!

Moses
01-09-2009, 07:27 PM
And there's the lawsuit...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3822392&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Thanks RSS Feed/RoboHicks!
Miles is going to get quite a bit of money out of this. I am almost 100% sure that someone will grab him and play him 2 games just to hinder Portland..and I don't blame them. Portland should have never offered the contract in the first place.

MrSparko
01-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Bingo. I think the Blazers would have been better off saying absolutely nothing. Now if Miles doesn't get signed by seasons end, he will probably sue Portland and win.

But then it won't go against the salary cap at least.

Justin Tyme
01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm chuckling over this situation created by Portland b/c somewhere around the season's start there was a thread discussing Portland trying to blackball Miles with the other NBA teams. As a matter of fact, I might have started that thread... can't remember nor can I find it. Maybe it was in one of the 1,001 Granger threads... one relating to the Pacers needing to give Danny an extension. What is funny to me is I stated I lost respect for Portland's FO over the blackball issue.

OMG, you would have thought I had put some kittens/puppies in a sack and threw them in the river from the response chastizing me for my comment about Portland's FO. Basically, I had no right to accuse or feel Portland was trying to keep Miles from playing. I even made the statement if they went after Granger that the Pacers should sign Miles so he could play the 10 games out of spite/revenge to cause Miles' salary to be put back on Portland's cap.

It was stated by others that Paul Allen had so much money it made no difference to the team, that Allen was so rich he could buy draft picks, etc. It's pretty clear even with Paul Allen's money it does make a difference to Portland if Miles played those 10 games and Portland's ability to do things with out that extra cap salary of Miles salary!

As I read this thread, it's pretty obvious the consenus is against the heavyhanded threat of the Portland's FO. Gee, how attitudes change in just a few months over what was deemed not a Portland tactic to keep Miles from playing again.

I still feel the same way about Portland's FO, Pritchard & etc, and with even better reason!

Shade
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Glad to see the fast reaction to this. The Blazers deserve everything they have coming due to this blunder.

travmil
01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I remember thinking to myself not too long ago that man I wish our FO was as good as Portland's. They had an even worse off court behavior situation than the Pacers did, they had some rebuilding years, but they had really turned that around. This is one of those absolutely HUGE blunders that sometimes sinks and entire career.

Trader Joe
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Was every single lawyer under contract for the Blazers asleep at the wheel when this thing was sent out?

DisplacedKnick
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Here's the funny thing - if a team did sign Miles, even if it was specifically designed to hurt Portland - so what?

It's a COMPETITIVE LEAGUE! That means you try to make your team better and other teams worse. What's next - they gonna sue Dwight Howard for blocking one of Aldridge's shots because it harms their team?

I'm not certain, in competitive sports, that doing something designed to weaken one of your competitors is unknown, unheard of - or should even be discouraged. That's what competition is.

GO!!!!!
01-10-2009, 12:08 AM
At the end of the day the Celtics and Grizzles come out of this smelling like Roses, they did the part in helping fill the Ten Game Requirement and whom even picks up Miles now will get all the press and heat/Hate when he plays Two Games..

MrSparko
01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
And Grizzlies give the classic finger to the Portland Organization and signs Darius Miles again!

God bless them

MyFavMartin
01-10-2009, 01:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3822911

Report: Grizzlies ignore Blazers' threat

ESPN.com news services

Apparently the Memphis Grizzlies have chosen to ignore the Portland Trail Blazers' recent request.

The Grizzlies have re-signed Darius Miles, who is attempting a comeback from major knee surgery, to a 10-day contract, the Memphis Commercial Appeal reported Friday night.

If Miles plays in two more games this season, Portland will be on the hook for $18 million -- the amount remaining on Miles' contract, which would count against Portland's salary cap and could force the team to pay luxury tax.

Hours before Miles cleared waivers Friday, Portland team president Larry Miller sent an e-mail to the other 29 NBA teams warning of legal action if a team takes Miles simply to adversely impact Portland's salary cap.

Miles, who was waived by the Grizzlies on Tuesday to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the rest of the season, is expected to be back in Memphis on Saturday.

The chance of paying the luxury tax led to the Blazers to send the e-mail, threatening legal action if a team signs Miles.

"Please be aware that if a team engages in such conduct, the Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation," part of Miller's e-mail reads, according to SI.com and Yahoo Sports!, which obtained it.

Miller tried explain his action in a conference call Friday.

"Our purpose here was not in any way to keep Darius from being able to play," Miller said. "If he can come back and help a team to win and play at a level on the court that helps the team, we have no problem with that at all.

"We were hearing a lot of rumblings and rumors that there were teams out there planning to sign Darius Miles specifically and maliciously to hurt our organization. This was our way of responding to that and letting folks know that we were not going to take it sitting down."

Later Friday, the NBA players' association said it planned to file a grievance against the Trail Blazers, on Miles' behalf.

Miles, who was the third overall pick by the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2000 draft, signed a six-year, $48 million deal with Portland in 2004. The Blazers waived Miles at the end of the 2007-08 season after an independent doctor determined he hadn't recovered from microfracture surgery on his right knee in November 2006.

_______

I like this move by Memphis because it's common for a team to release a guy before his 10 day contract becomes permanent, just to resign him to another.

This will be very defensible in court.

Fool
01-10-2009, 12:19 PM
^ I agree with that. Portland got excited about a new hope that Miles might not play and jumped the gun in terrible fashion.

Roaming Gnome
01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
"Pritch got slapped!!"

Shade
01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Go Memphis! :D

xtacy
01-10-2009, 01:26 PM
way to go memphis!

WetBob
01-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Who does Portland think they are?

travmil
01-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Portland's Lawyer would like a word with Memphis.

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/10/74/72/10747200_tml.jpg

wintermute
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
the story is getting weirder... turns out portland did try to claim darius miles off waivers in an attempt to freeze him

League blocked Blazers’ bid to claim Miles

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgjJIW7q3W.yYeRka1aIrdG8vLYF?slug=aw-milesupdate011209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Before the Portland Trail Blazers resorted to a threatening email to frighten rival NBA teams from signing Darius Miles, team officials late last week made a brazen bid to claim the forward off waivers only to be stopped by the league, multiple front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

So determined to salvage the salary cap space that would come with the foiling of Miles’ comeback from a devastating knee injury, Portland president Larry Miller and general manager Kevin Pritchard apparently were willing to stash Miles on the sideline and keep him away from other NBA teams.

In denying the Blazers’ move to control Miles, NBA front-office sources say that league executives in New York denied the waiver claim because they believed the Blazers were merely trying to circumvent league salary cap rules.

Once the NBA rejected Portland’s waiver claim, Miller sent an unprecedented threat of legal action for any team that signed Miles as a free agent. Several league executives were aware of the bid on Miles and reacted angrily over what they considered hypocrisy.

After playing two games for Memphis this month, the Grizzlies had waived Miles to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the rest of the season. Nevertheless, an undeterred Memphis promptly signed Miles, a 6-foot-9 forward, to a 10-day contract Saturday.

SoupIsGood
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Wow.

Shade
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I was actually going to ask why Portland didn't just attempt to claim him off of waivers indefinitely, but I assumed it was somehow against the rules.

Justin Tyme
01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I read that earlier today, and it had me chuckling. I guess that 18 million does mean something to Portland capspace and Paul Allen. Talk about trying to screw Miles out of resurrecting his career. I'm glad the NBA stopped them from claiming him, and kudos to Memphis.

Iceman1
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
According to the ESPN box score...Darius Miles has 11 points in 8 minutes tonight. The game has about 8 minutes to go in the 4th. Hmmmm....1 more game to go before Portland has a very different future.

Shade
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Miles ended up with 13 points in 14 minutes tonight.

Not too shabby, all things considered.

Dece
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Guy is playing quality minutes on a team that needs front line help. Portland has no argument, and they are going to foot this bill.

travmil
01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Well if this whole basketball thing falls through for Darius, he can always act. His work in The Perfect Score and Van Wilder was top notch.

Justin Tyme
01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
According to the ESPN box score...Darius Miles has 11 points in 8 minutes tonight. The game has about 8 minutes to go in the 4th. Hmmmm....1 more game to go before Portland has a very different future.

Miles ended up with 13 points on 4-6 FG & 5-7 FT.

As you said just 1 more game before Portland gets to pay his 18 mil salary for this year and next. You reap what you sow.

Quis
01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
John Canzano, Oregon Live (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/123172170980290.xml&coll=7)....

Said one Western Conference GM of (Blazer's GM Kevin) Pritchard on Saturday: "(Bleep) that guy, he's walking around rubbing everyone's nose in the deals he's made and even with all those lottery players his team is still not in the playoffs. "There was a line of guys in the league waiting to sign D. Miles if Memphis didn't."

Shade
01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
John Canzano, Oregon Live (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/123172170980290.xml&coll=7)....

I hereby officially coin the nickname "Pritch the b!tch." :cool:

Justin Tyme
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Miles played in his 10th game tonight, thus costing Portland 18 mil.:)

Shade
01-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Miles played in his 10th game tonight, thus costing Portland 18 mil.:)

:fireworks :D :fireworks

Doddage
01-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Aside from that, he's been contributing in the games that he's played. So it may have been worth it for them to sign him, anyway.

Justin Tyme
01-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Aside from that, he's been contributing in the games that he's played. So it may have been worth it for them to sign him, anyway.

Yes, he has. He had 10 points and 7 rebounds, nice return for a cheap investment.

Bball
01-17-2009, 11:26 AM
If they are really trying to hurt Portland I'd play him a few extra games just to do away with any legal challenge Portland might consider regarding the preseason games counting.

travmil
01-17-2009, 07:52 PM
If they are really trying to hurt Portland I'd play him a few extra games just to do away with any legal challenge Portland might consider regarding the preseason games counting.

But see, that the thing. No team has to prove to any other team why they signed a player. Even IF it was just to hurt Portland, that's not against the rules. Memphis could have resigned him, played him one mintute each in two games and then cut him loose and Portland would have had no legal grounds for action.

Doddage
01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
But see, that the thing. No team has to prove to any other team why they signed a player. Even IF it was just to hurt Portland, that's not against the rules. Memphis could have resigned him, played him one mintute each in two games and then cut him loose and Portland would have had no legal grounds for action.
I think you missed his point. He was saying that whatever Memphis' motives are, if they want Miles to count against Portland's cap, they should play him however many more games there would be if the preseason games didn't count. Just so Portland wouldn't try to use any loopholes to shed Miles off their cap.

travmil
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I think you missed his point. He was saying that whatever Memphis' motives are, if they want Miles to count against Portland's cap, they should play him however many more games there would be if the preseason games didn't count. Just so Portland wouldn't try to use any loopholes to shed Miles off their cap.

Ahh, Yes I did miss that point. That makes sense.

Bball
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
That's it Doddage. Thanks for clarifying.

Justin Tyme
01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
With Miles on a 10 day contract, Memphis isn't required to resign him to another 10 day contract, either. It's all legal, and Portland has Miles back on their salary cap. I feel so bad for Paul Allen and KP!:D

SycamoreKen
01-19-2009, 12:23 AM
On a related note, Stern must have thought that the salary cap hit was enough punishment for threatening to sue the other teams in the league if they played Miles. I'm surprised he didn't fine them for those words.

Justin Tyme
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Memphis signed Miles to another 10 day contract.:)