PDA

View Full Version : Pacers vs. Suns Post-Game Thread - Danny FTW!

Shade
01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Danny Granger: Superstar

Sollozzo
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Guys, we are watching the evolution of a Superstar.

Dr. Awesome
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
He just locked himself into the All-Star game. Heck, he just put himself on the verge of being a superstar.

Wu-Gambino
01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Hell of a win. Props to Granger and Graham for excellent games, and it's great to finally see Dun back.

James Bond
We didn't blow a lead for once, I'm ecstatic right now.

granger33
man i hope someone can get the audio of grangers game winner on WIBC. love to hear it.

MrSparko
Danny Granger: Almost as good as Jeff Green.

andreialta
01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Looooove This Winnnnnn. Dun came out better than i expected. Danny is the man.. all game long

Kuq_e_Zi91
Danny Granger is freaking incredible.

Conflict
Haha Amundson doesn't even have a double double. Stat doesn't have a career night, second half only 6 points of which he didn't deserve one.

First half we couldn't grab a rebound, second half it went better. Murphy got hot in the thirth and that was pretty needed. Then Danny just finished it, I'm so glad to witnessed this :)

AND THE BEST PACER DUNK OF THE YEAR GOES TO:.................Stephen Graham, to bad it didn't count ;)

theboyjwo
01-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Danny Granger = CLutch!

Pacers#1Fan
01-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Granger is amazing! Dun was very solid all things considered! Props to Graham.

It's nice that we can come out with the win even when we get out coached.

Robertmto
01-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Granger impressed me

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Horrible out of bounds play by Jimmy. Oh wait...

pianoman
01-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Thank god we got this guy locked up for a few years!

LG33
01-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Let's not forget the contributions from Stephen Graham and Troy Murphy (for a stretch). Granger couldn't do it alone, and hopefully as the team continues to mesh with a healthy Dunleavy on board, he won't ever have to.

bnd45
01-08-2009, 12:46 AM
-So he'll be the only Pacer making a return trip to Phoenix this season.

-I hate to complain after a huge W, but did it bother anyone else that Foster played every second of the fourth? I counted six possessions that he had a negative impact on. The third quarter offense with Rasho out there was fantastic. If he had nothing left in the tank, I would rather have seen Murphy out there for a few minutes.

The offense looked pathetic trying to run all those cuts off the entry pass to Foster at the elbow. Amare was a good 5 feet off of him negating any lanes for the cutters to get open.

-Granger's the man. The game winner was sweet, but I thought the shot to tie it was even more impressive. That was all him... one one one... off the dribble...I'm the man, everyone else get out of the way.

I love it. Can't wait to see Ford, Dunleavy and Granger on the floor together.

Dr. Awesome
Guys, we just saw the birth of a superstar.

Danny Granger, emerged from Reggie Miller's womb at approximately 11:28 P.M. on Wednesday, January 7th 2009.

Jon Theodore
Dunleavy won this game for us! Any other player would have thrown that pass at Grangers knees. That inbounds pass to Granger was perfect!!!!

I didn't get to watch the Pacers last year so I haven't really seen Dunleavy play much. He made so many great passes tonight, now I see why he is so important to this team. Also, Rasho quietly had a great game! After seeing how good of a passer Dunleavy is, it is that much more difficult for me to accept Jarrett Jack as our point guard.

This win is HUGE if we can win a few more and go on a run, watch out! Granger is without a doubt a top ten player in this league, PERIOD.

Unclebuck
01-08-2009, 12:47 AM
I think Graham deserves a lot of credit also - he made a number of big plays - right now he is just quite a bit better than Rush. I do wonder what it takes to get an offensive foul called on Amare.

As Clark was saying all night the pacers defense was soooooo much better than Monday night - and guarding the Nash - Amare pick and roll is the most difficult play in the NBA to defend

pianoman
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Not only did we just witness DG's emergance, we just saw a new beginning

aceace
I gotta get this in real quick... so far no one said "fire JOB"

Cherokee
Guys, we just saw the birth of a superstar.

Danny Granger, emerged from Reggie Miller's womb at approximately 11:28 P.M. on Wednesday, January 7th 2009.

Wow, 17-18 seasons erased with one jump shot?

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
The game winner was sweet, but I thought the shot to tie it was even more impressive. That was all him... one one one... off the dribble...I'm the man, everyone else get out of the way.

Agreed.

He had no room, the defender knew he was pulling up, put a hand right in his face and it was still all nylon.

The three, while spectacular, was a wide-open straight-away shot that he's gonna hit seven times out of ten. Not to discredit the ice in his veins, but it was more a great play to get him free than anything. And fortunately, he had the onions to cash it in.

travmil
OK here we are nearly half way through the season, and Danny isn't letting up. This isn't a fluke. Danny Granger really is this good. I don't know how all the haters that think he is overrated are gonna deal with this one.

Shade
Other notes:

- Stephen Graham played very well. He's quicker than I thought, and I will have nightmares about how he posterized Barbosa.
- Dun looked good, though his 3-ball was obviously still off. Still, it didn't look at all like this was his first game of the season.
- Foster had a good, solid game.
- So did Murphy.
- Diener needs to never shoot in the clutch. NEVER.
- I like Jack, but damn does dude turn the ball over a lot. He also gets blown by far too often for someone with his speed.
- JOB did a solid job tonight. Used his TOs appropriately and had no wonky substitutions. He even told Diener to stop chucking the ball. ;)
- The refs can bite me sideways. I'm so sick of their ineptitude. They really do make games not fun to watch.

Infinite MAN_force
In non-granger related news, Graham played a really solid game. Dunleavy looked great in his time on the floor and will only stand to look better when he knocks some of the rust off his shot. His offensive contribution far outweighed his defensive shortcomings, and I thought he was fairly solid defensively.

Dunleavy was subbing for granger and this helped us avoid the usual offensive lapses... I still think we should stick with this formula. Dunleavy for 6th man of the year. :D

LG33
01-08-2009, 12:50 AM
As Clark was saying all night the pacers defense was soooooo much better than Monday night - and guarding the Nash - Amare pick and roll is the most difficult play in the NBA to defend

I felt like the Suns had way too many wide open three point attempts though. Am I wrong? Maybe it was just Nash and Barbosa's penetration, but I thought they had a lot of good looks they just didn't connect on. The on-ball defense was pretty good - the rotations seemed slow at best.

vnzla81
01-08-2009, 12:50 AM

who is jeff green?

Dr. Awesome
01-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Wow, 17-18 seasons erased with one jump shot?

Not what I said at all. But since Reggie has retired, no one has stepped up, until now.

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 12:51 AM
That inbounds pass to Granger was perfect!!!!

Good point.

He's certainly the most accurate passer on our team. It was a pleasure to see him out there, more of a pleasure to see him looking healthy, even more of a pleasure to see him playing well, and the greatest pleasure of all to see him make that behind-the-back cross-court bounce pass across the foul line.

He changes our team completely.

count55
01-08-2009, 12:52 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the Pacers handled the Suns tonight. We beat them all night long, they got close on some hot shooting by Nash, but they got their shot solely because the official refused to call offensive fouls on Amare Stoudemire.

I was irritated with the shot selection in the fourth quarter...I felt it was far more ill-advised than I'd seen at any point this season..particularly from Diener, who was so far off, it looked like he was just throwing the ball towards the basket.

However, I am very, very pleased with this game. It is only one game, but I was hoping to get two wins out of this trip. Now, we need to get one of the last three (read: GS on Sunday).

travmil
01-08-2009, 12:53 AM
The call from Phoenix's radio guys was classic. When they are showing the GW on ESPN they have the radio call playing with it. Catch it if you can it's great.

Spirit
Granger = Superstar.

cutters10c
Awesome shot by Danny! I love how Sportscenter literally had like a 5 second clip of this game and moved on like it was nothing.

vnzla81
I gotta get this in real quick... so far no one said "fire JOB"

They still need to win more games for me to change my mind:-p

Sollozzo
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
The call from Phoenix's radio guys was classic. When they are showing the GW on ESPN they have the radio call playing with it. Catch it if you can it's great.

"I don't think that was the Pacers announcer.................."

Jon Theodore
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Yeah not to discredit Granger for making the shot, but to me that is just Granger being danny granger. But you put anybody else in the position of making that pass, I doubt he catches it in rhythm and makes it.

If we ever have our all of our guys, we will be very tough.

Cherokee
01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Granger, Dunleavy, Murphy and Graham all played very well. Nesterovic had his moments. Jack does more harm than good, and Foster ... is not one of my favorites to have on the floor in close games.

Oneal07
01-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Guys, we are watching the evolution of a Superstar.

CLUTCH. GREAT GAME. Glad I caught it

vnzla81
01-08-2009, 12:57 AM
now we need a really good point guard and a good PF to be a really good team

avoidingtheclowns
01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
I think Graham deserves a lot of credit also - he made a number of big plays - right now he is just quite a bit better than Rush. I do wonder what it takes to get an offensive foul called on Amare.

i'm glad clark is still calling games. it seems every time i get a pacers feed on LP it's quinn.

Cherokee
Watching the Suns' post-game show on LP, they were crying because Shack was out and Nash was sick. It was Tom Chambers and some studio guy who should never even pretend he knows what he's talking about. They never mentioned that the Pacers were playing without Quis and T.J., which hurts our bench, too, thereby making it tougher on our starters.

focused444
i can still remember how happy i was on DG's draft night....

i would of felt so bad for the team if they would have lost this one...

in the 4th i started feeling the season hinged on this game....

a loss would have been devastating...

season saved for now...

by danny granger..

MyFavMartin
01-08-2009, 01:00 AM
- Jack... gets blown by far too often for someone with his speed.

While trying to hedge screens while guarding Nash, can't blame him.

theboyjwo
01-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I felt like the Suns had way too many wide open three point attempts though. Am I wrong? Maybe it was just Nash and Barbosa's penetration, but I thought they had a lot of good looks they just didn't connect on. The on-ball defense was pretty good - the rotations seemed slow at best.

Yeah, Matt Barnes and Grant Hill had pleny of open 3's a piece cause the Pacer's cheated on that corner rotation. But it was totally due to Diener not able to step above the screen and recover, giving the open lane.

Amare easily gets 10pts a night off no calls from the refs. Like a bull in a china shop when he drives it. Ran over 2 pacers, pushed off Foster for his monster dunk in the forth. Knocks over Dunleavy after the inbound pass, and again catching the pass from Pick n Roll in the fourth. It's freakin ridiculous how they let him get away with lowering his shoulder to run someone over especially when they have position. Foster should have knocked him to the floor on that dunk.

MagicRat
01-08-2009, 01:05 AM
man i hope someone can get the audio of grangers game winner on WIBC. love to hear it.

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/dannygamewinner.mp3 (http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/dannygamewinner.mp3)
:dance:

Shade
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah, Matt Barnes and Grant Hill had pleny of open 3's a piece cause the Pacer's cheated on that corner rotation. But it was totally due to Diener not able to step above the screen and recover, giving the open lane.

Amare easily gets 10pts a night off no calls from the refs. Like a bull in a china shop when he drives it. Ran over 2 pacers, pushed off Foster for his monster dunk in the forth. Knocks over Dunleavy after the inbound pass, and again catching the pass from Pick n Roll in the fourth. It's freakin ridiculous how they let him get away with lowering his shoulder to run someone over especially when they have position. Foster should have knocked him to the floor on that dunk.

Agreed. I was furious after Dun got leveled like that with no call. It's stuff like that that gives conspiracy theorists fodder.

Hicks
01-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Good point.

He's certainly the most accurate passer on our team. It was a pleasure to see him out there, more of a pleasure to see him looking healthy, even more of a pleasure to see him playing well, and the greatest pleasure of all to see him make that behind-the-back cross-court bounce pass across the foul line.

He changes our team completely.

I want echo all of this as well Dunleavy makes a big difference.

MyFavMartin
01-08-2009, 01:08 AM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/dannygamewinner.mp3 (http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/dannygamewinner.mp3)

Sweet!

travmil
01-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Excellent work as always MR.

LG33
We have passed the Bobcats in the standings!

Iceman1

Thanks for posting this.

Cherokee
01-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Agreed. I was furious after Dun got leveled like that with no call. It's stuff like that that gives conspiracy theorists fodder.

That's where we need an offensive tackle type of player to put people on the floor when they do that garbage.

MyFavMartin
01-08-2009, 01:11 AM
a loss would have been devastating...

don't think it would have been worse than any of the others. had the excuse that ford and daniels were out. and we've got a habit of blowing leads, so it would have been "another close, inspiring defeat".

GrangerRanger
01-08-2009, 01:12 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290107021

Associated Press
Espn

Danny Granger matched a career high with 37 points, including a 3-pointer at the buzzer that gave the Indiana Pacers a 113-110 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night.

I like how little some of these writers know. :rolleyes:

MyFavMartin
01-08-2009, 01:13 AM
That's where we need an offensive tackle type of player to put people on the floor when they do that garbage.

we had that in artest, remember?

BillS
01-08-2009, 01:13 AM

:bowdown:

Shade
01-08-2009, 01:15 AM

Associated Press
Espn

ESPN + truth = FAIL

Shade
01-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Btw, the Pacers are now 1-0 with Mike Dunleavy in the lineup. :D ;)

kbills05
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM
hey everyone Danny w/ the Game Winner baby....i guess we won't be hollaring fire jim o'brien, and Dunleavy looks good! but i see the Pacers making a trade to bring in a PF before the Deadline....your thoughts my die hard Pacer fans...?

travmil
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM
we had that in artest, remember?

I don't think Artest's size has anything to do with that. More likely it's the crazy eyes that make ball handlers steer clear...

aceace
01-08-2009, 01:17 AM
The call from Phoenix's radio guys was classic. When they are showing the GW on ESPN they have the radio call playing with it. Catch it if you can it's great.That was priceless... DG is just getting better as the season goes. The ESPN guys said he would definitely be in Phx for the all-star game.

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 01:19 AM
So anyone ready to step up and tell me that I was wrong when I called Granger a 30 point wing player?

I questioned it at times because of my influence of some of you on here, but does anyone want to say that he isn't clutch either?

travmil
01-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Btw, the Pacers are now 1-0 with Mike Dunleavy in the lineup. :D ;)

And Roy officially owns Lopez. 3pts to 2.

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Or how about where Amare ran over Dunleavy and dunked it with no call? I call is the super star treatment. I guess Dun isn't considered a super star.

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 01:22 AM
And Roy officially owns Lopez. 3pts to 2.

Roy will be better than Lopez IMO. We got the best big man out of the draft I think.

Oh so much for our terrible defense when Dunleavy returns. No Daniels and we play some of our best D of the year.

MyFavMartin
01-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't think Artest's size has anything to do with that. More likely it's the crazy eyes that make ball handlers steer clear...

my point is that instigating a fight by doing something like tackling Amare is not the thing any pacer should be doing for a long while.

Although I'd love to see Diener punch him in the lluevos.

theboyjwo
01-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm glad they were able to pull it out, O'brien has to drill it in their heads, we don't need to settle for 3's midway in the 4th when you have the lead. They should have drove it to the basket, get Amare in Foul trouble. Easy baskets. They jacked up about 4-5 3's in a row and let the suns back in the game. They do this every time they have a lead in the 4th.

Shade
01-08-2009, 01:31 AM
my point is that instigating a fight by doing something like tackling Amare is not the thing any pacer should be doing for a long while.

Although I'd love to see Diener punch him in the lluevos.

I'd personally much rather tackle the stupid ref for being...well...stupid.

Hicks
01-08-2009, 01:39 AM

Associated Press
Espn

My God. Pathetic.

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm glad they were able to pull it out, O'brien has to drill it in their heads, we don't need to settle for 3's midway in the 4th when you have the lead. They should have drove it to the basket, get Amare in Foul trouble. Easy baskets. They jacked up about 4-5 3's in a row and let the suns back in the game. They do this every time they have a lead in the 4th.

Agreed. The floor looks so much more wide open now that Dun is back and I think it will take some time for the players to get used to it.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-08-2009, 01:47 AM
It's not really ESPN. It's AP. I bet NBA.com and Yahoo! have the same post game recap.

mxrider210
01-08-2009, 01:55 AM
It's been really fun to watch Danny to continue to improve every year. Hopefully this kid can keep it up. Maybe it's just the excitement from the game but I think this kid is going to be something special.(Like Reggie special)

Jimmy
01-08-2009, 01:58 AM
So Danny Granger was NOT on the ESPN top 10. Lebron James' first quarter buzzer beater was number 5. Wow

Quis
01-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Granger's not a superstar, but with the way he's played this season, he's moved from a third-tier semi-star like a Luol Deng, up to a second-tier All-Star a la Paul Pierce.

aceace
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM
JUST WOW....Grangers game winner was not even in the top ten on ESPN. I just watched the whole sportscenter from 12-1AM nothing even about the game. What Horse@$%&

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM
It's been really fun to watch Danny to continue to improve every year. Hopefully this kid can keep it up. Maybe it's just the excitement from the game but I think this kid is going to be something special.(Like Reggie special)

Just realizing that? Try a Reggie who is longer, tougher, a better defender, with the same clutch/scoring ability.

Anthem
01-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Horrible out of bounds play by Jimmy. Oh wait...
In the excitement I totally missed this. Good call.

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Granger's not a superstar, but with the way he's played this season, he's moved from a third-tier semi-star like a Luol Deng, up to a second-tier All-Star a la Paul Pierce.

Look at his stat line. Add the last three games in and we have a bonafied top 3 scorer. When your fellow company is D-Wade, LeBron and Kobe, I think you are sitting pretty super-starish.

Infinite MAN_force
01-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Just realizing that? Try a Reggie who is longer, tougher, a better defender, with the same clutch/scoring ability.

Don't get carried away. You are right about most of those things, but Danny has a long way to go before you could say he is as clutch as Reggie. Hes gonna have to do that again and again, and in the playoffs, again and again.

Trader Joe
01-08-2009, 02:05 AM
I heard this guy wasn't clutch...can anyone fill me in on that?

rel
01-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Game Winner Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nK0WdYRXP0

Jarrett Jack's reactions while the shot was in the air and afterwards are classic. lol.

Trader Joe
01-08-2009, 02:06 AM

YES! LOL

Seriously guys, he is special. Appreciate it.

kester99
01-08-2009, 02:06 AM
He is still developing his clutchiness.

Trader Joe
01-08-2009, 02:08 AM
Ok, question. I didn't watch the game, was Dun out there to close out? and if so when did he come on?

travmil
01-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Ok, question. I didn't watch the game, was Dun out there to close out? and if so when did he come on?

Yes Dun made the inbound pass (perfect BTW) to Granger for the GW. He played 21 mins total, and was in for the last several of the 4th.

travmil
01-08-2009, 02:13 AM
He is still developing his clutchiness.

Clutchosity? Clutchdom?:confused:

Shade
01-08-2009, 02:14 AM

Yes. He came in around the 5-6 minute mark.

Infinite MAN_force
01-08-2009, 02:17 AM
I would venture to say without Dunleavy's 20 minute contribution off the bench, not to mention the perfect inbounds pass, we lose this game. he really kept the offense going when Granger was out of the game.

Mark it up as a close game where dun's presence may have been the deciding factor, even if he didn't take or make the game winning shot.

MillerTime
01-08-2009, 03:19 AM
I didnt get a chance to watch the game. I watched the highlights and the game seemed amazing. Great shot at the end by Granger.

How would you guys say Dunleavy played? I know he only played like 21 mins, but did he look like the Dunleavy we know or is his knee still affecting him?

tde3000
01-08-2009, 03:23 AM

Associated Press
Espn

so i guess the israeli site i was angry about for the same reason is just copying from other idiots...

jewish thieves...(but i'm a nice jew, don't worry);)

Hoosierboy1831
01-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Yo, Danny is a beast! If he doesn't start in the all-star game I'll be thoroughly upset! Later y'all -Jesse-

imawhat
01-08-2009, 03:34 AM
I didnt get a chance to watch the game. I watched the highlights and the game seemed amazing. Great shot at the end by Granger.

How would you guys say Dunleavy played? I know he only played like 21 mins, but did he look like the Dunleavy we know or is his knee still affecting him?

Given the circumstances, Dunleavy played pretty well. He was very agressive, which I think is unusual for a player coming off of a knee injury. He was rusty and his shot was off (nearly airballed a free throw), but overall he had a positive impact on the game. It was clear that we've missed his offensive movement and passing.

I'd go as far as saying we played an inspired game tonight, and it looks like Dunleavy's return was the inspiration.

Quis
01-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Look at his stat line. Add the last three games in and we have a bonafied top 3 scorer. When your fellow company is D-Wade, LeBron and Kobe, I think you are sitting pretty super-starish.

If he can continue being a 26/6/3 1+ bpg & spg guy on a 50-win team, then yes, he'll officially be elite. Now let's get him the help needed to accomplish those 50+ wins.

Kemo
01-08-2009, 03:38 AM
haha @ Jack's stance after he takes a look at granger pulling up for the shot..

HeliumFear
01-08-2009, 03:58 AM
After watching the buzzer-beater a few times...Phoenix still fails hard at defense.

Great shot by Granger. What's really funny is,he literally just runs to the top of the arc to get open. That's all. STEVE "I'D STILL FAIL AT DEFENSE IF I WERE ON A HIGH SCHOOL GIRL'S TEAM" NASH had to run out on him.

BTW,I just watched the top 10,and Granger's buzzer beater was number 1. Noticed someone mentioned a lack of Granger in the top 10 earlier.

aceace
01-08-2009, 04:13 AM
BTW,I just watched the top 10,and Granger's buzzer beater was number 1. Noticed someone mentioned a lack of Granger in the top 10 earlier.Ya, I called them told them I was "Ford Motor Company" a big time sponsor of their programming and that they better get their priorities straight.

tde3000
01-08-2009, 04:20 AM
where's the top 10 video?

Peck
01-08-2009, 04:53 AM
I think it is safe to say that the mouse has once again returned to Phoenix and has once again pee'd on their cotton.:D

BTW, if you don't get that statement it comes from a few seasons ago when Reggie also hit a game winning shot in Pheonix and waved to the crowd as he left. In the post game interview he stated that it was so quiet in the arena after he hit that shot that you could hear a mouse peeing on cotton.

While we are at it I wouldn't mind if a mouse or better yet a rat would pee in Amare's cornflakes in the morning.:cool:

Roaming Gnome
01-08-2009, 05:06 AM
I think it is safe to say that the mouse has once again returned to Phoenix and has once again pee'd on their cotton.:D

BTW, if you don't get that statement it comes from a few seasons ago when Reggie also hit a game winning shot in Pheonix and waved to the crowd as he left. In the post game interview he stated that it was so quiet in the arena after he hit that shot that you could hear a mouse peeing on cotton.

While we are at it I wouldn't mind if a mouse or better yet a rat would pee in Amare's cornflakes in the morning.:cool:

Actually, it was a rat in Reggie's quote. :eyebrow:

Raskolnikov
01-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Game Winner Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nK0WdYRXP0

Jarrett Jack's reactions while the shot was in the air and afterwards are classic. lol.
:) Thanks for the vid.

wjs
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
JUST WOW....Grangers game winner was not even in the top ten on ESPN. I just watched the whole sportscenter from 12-1AM nothing even about the game. What Horse@$%&

Granger's shot was #1 in the Top 10 this morning.

count55
01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
BTW...I just recalled that Danny did this after getting kicked in the balls at the 6 minute mark of the third quarter.

Raskolnikov
01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
BTW...I just recalled that Danny did this after getting kicked in the balls at the 6 minute mark of the third quarter.
lol no idea which conclusion one could draw from that observation....

count55
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
lol no idea which conclusion one could draw from that observation....

He's a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Unclebuck
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM

Yes they did, but that is what happens trying to guard the Nash - Amare pick and roll, - especially after Nash had started to hit some shots.

ABADays
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Tougher!?! I don't even know how to respond to that one. As tough would be the ultimate compliment to Danny.

Unclebuck
01-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Yeah, that made me furious as well - he hit him really hard - I was worried Dun was really injured.

One thing that I think is huge that no one else has mentioned is the Pacers are 3-0 in the last three really close games. Sure the first two were against the Knicks and Kings - but still a nice trend

owl
01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Granger was definitely a superstar last night with his big time shots and defense.
He had blocks and steals and rebounds and he could have easily hit several more shots that
just rimmed out. DG is why I stay up late watching these games. I liked Graham's
huge dunk. The best dunk by a Pacer this year. Pray that Dunleavy stays healthy
as he was the extra punch to put the Pacers over the top. Put a real PF on this team
and you have something in the future.

OakMoses
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
A few general observations:

- Stephen Graham played well. I'm not a fan of his, but he played a very good game. Solid defense and rebounding and he can make open shots. If he could only dribble and pass...

- As I've said before, I really like the idea that there will never be a time during games when either Dunleavy or Granger is not on the floor. I hope O'Brien continues to use them this way. It will help our offensive lulls immensely.

- I like how we're complaining about Jack's turnovers after a game where he played 30 minutes and only had 3.

- Danny had a great game, but what's amazing to me is how much better he could have been. He was on fire during the first quarter and the beginning of the second. After that his shot selection got pretty bad and stayed that way until the 4th quarter. He also missed several open shots in the 4th (he was actually 3 for 9 in the quarter until the final 2 possessions when he came up huge). I'm not complaining about Danny because this was the best game I've seen a Pacer play in at least 2 years, but he could have easily had 45-50 if he hits open shots.

- I like that Dun had 14 points and 4 assists in 20 minutes. He also shot 50% in spite of looking obviously rusty.

- I really like the Suns' announcers. I usually hate watching other teams feeds on League Pass, but these guys are really good. They're not terribly homerish. They were very complementary of the Pacers and their individual players. They'd done there homework and knew the strengths and weaknesses of the individual players. The one guy that really seemed to surprise them was Stephen Graham.

- Eddie Johnson made a good point about Granger having what he called "an excellent ground game." He defined this by saying that Granger surprises a lot of defenders by getting shots off from lower elevations than they're expecting. Most NBA players over rely on their athleticism, but he pointed out that Granger has a "plethora" of shots that he can make without having to fully elevate. I thought this an interesting piece of good analysis.

- Steve Nash is a shell of his former self.

- I'm wondering if O'Brien is beginning his shift into "Win Now" mode. Last season it seemed that he used the first portion of the season to teach guys what he wanted. Then at some point he started doing some different things that focused on winning individual games rather than using game situations as teachable moments. Last night it seemed to me like he'd switched over. I can't point out any particular things other than that he used timeouts to stop runs more aggressively. I'm wondering if we're not going to start seeing a shortened rotation, more called plays, and a tightened leash pretty soon.

Hicks
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
If he can continue being a 26/6/3 1+ bpg & spg guy on a 50-win team, then yes, he'll officially be elite. Now let's get him the help needed to accomplish those 50+ wins.

This argument still makes me shake my head. He can do the exact same things he's been doing, but he's not elite until his teammates are better. :bs:

Justin Tyme
01-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Dadgum, I didn't get to see this game tonight. I had to leave to go to the airport to pick someone up, leaving at game time, and then their flight was delayed 45 minutes so it was after midnight b4 I got home. :mad: I did hear on the radio after getting home that Danny won it with a 3 point shot!!! It was great to hear!

I really wanted to see how Dun looked playing. Sounds like he did ok. 1st thing this morning on the computer I checked the box scores. I had to blink twice seeing Graham started and had a nice game. Good for him! I didn't see any Graham hater comments, so he must have done something right.

I was surprised with the Pacers players lack of rebounding.... no Murph double rebounds. No player had double rebounds.

Why did Hibbert play so little? Too much small ball for him?

Rush apparently hasn't gotten his playing back together for JO'B either.

I sure hope this is the beginning of good things happening!

count55
01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
A few general observations:

- Stephen Graham played well. I'm not a fan of his, but he played a very good game. Solid defense and rebounding and he can make open shots. If he could only dribble and pass...

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, though I'd hesitate to refer to his defense as "solid". (I guess that detracts from Graham, which is a little unfair. It's just when I hear "solid", I think mistake free, but unspectacular. A "solid" defender is somebody who consistently has good fundamentals and positioning, but will get beaten if the offensive player makes a better play. I think Stephen has improved his defense, but his judgment and position is shaky...hence, the balking at "solid". He's also far exceeded my expectations and has been a great bargain for the league min.)

- As I've said before, I really like the idea that there will never be a time during games when either Dunleavy or Granger is not on the floor. I hope O'Brien continues to use them this way. It will help our offensive lulls immensely.

- I like how we're complaining about Jack's turnovers after a game where he played 30 minutes and only had 3.

- Danny had a great game, but what's amazing to me is how much better he could have been. He was on fire during the first quarter and the beginning of the second. After that his shot selection got pretty bad and stayed that way until the 4th quarter. He also missed several open shots in the 4th (he was actually 3 for 9 in the quarter until the final 2 possessions when he came up huge). I'm not complaining about Danny because this was the best game I've seen a Pacer play in at least 2 years, but he could have easily had 45-50 if he hits open shots.

- I like that Dun had 14 points and 4 assists in 20 minutes. He also shot 50% in spite of looking obviously rusty.

- I really like the Suns' announcers. I usually hate watching other teams feeds on League Pass, but these guys are really good. They're not terribly homerish. They were very complementary of the Pacers and their individual players. They'd done there homework and knew the strengths and weaknesses of the individual players. The one guy that really seemed to surprise them was Stephen Graham.

- Eddie Johnson made a good point about Granger having what he called "an excellent ground game." He defined this by saying that Granger surprises a lot of defenders by getting shots off from lower elevations than they're expecting. Most NBA players over rely on their athleticism, but he pointed out that Granger has a "plethora" of shots that he can make without having to fully elevate. I thought this an interesting piece of good analysis.

- Steve Nash is a shell of his former self.

- I'm wondering if O'Brien is beginning his shift into "Win Now" mode. Last season it seemed that he used the first portion of the season to teach guys what he wanted. Then at some point he started doing some different things that focused on winning individual games rather than using game situations as teachable moments. Last night it seemed to me like he'd switched over. I can't point out any particular things other than that he used timeouts to stop runs more aggressively. I'm wondering if we're not going to start seeing a shortened rotation, more called plays, and a tightened leash pretty soon.

Very good and insightful post. As to the "win now", I'm not sure there's a real change in that regard. I think Obie always wants to "win now", but I think that it may appear as such because of a confluence of events: Rush's backslide, Graham's emergence, and Dunleavy's return. I expect to continue to see the 12-18 minutes a night for Hibbert, but I am expect Rush to start seeing some DNP-CD's.

This argument still makes me shake my head. He can do the exact same things he's been doing, but he's not elite until his teammates are better. :bs:

Well, it's a fine line on this argument between his teammates being better and him making his teammates better. It is true that even bona fide elite players can't overcome an extreme paucity of talent (both Kobe and KG suffered through bad losing seasons), it is also true that elite players "make their teammates better."

This does not mean that they actually improve their teammates skills. Rather that they improve the chances of success both through their presence (which allows less focus and less pressure on their teammates) and their own skills (which helps put their teammates in the best position to succeed).

It is not unfair to say that Danny has not established such bona fides, yet. However, at this point, I find it hard to fathom how any one cannot be thrilled with Danny Granger as a player. He has far exceeded any reasonable expectations, yet has continued to recognize shortcomings and work to improve them one by one.

Justin Tyme
01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Midcoasted;830745]

We got the best big man out of the draft I think. /QUOTE]

You are kidding, right?

Anthem
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
He looked fine out there, when he wasn't getting pummeled by Amare.

His 3 is off; he needs to focus on his bread and butter (mid-range) until he gets fully back in the flow. He is just deadly from the elbow.

Speed
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
On the good team/great player deal. It depends on what is happening. For us Vets, remember World B Free? He was the epitome of a guy who only cared about getting his. He wasn't a good player, just a selfish scorer, that's it. Corey Magette is getting that type of rap now. I have always thought you HAVE to be carefull getting these type of players. I said at the time they got Stephen Jackson to be beware of him because he was scoring heavy on a bad team in ATL, in a contract year. Double whammy.

Granger could look this way from the outside in, but it is NOT the case, imo. He has had to shoot and score for this team to compete. He has tremedously increased his assists, just in the first 1/3 of the season. He started out almost solely as a defensive player as a rookie and you didn't see him once hang his head.

The reality, MVP is perception and it will never go to a guy on a sub .500 team because of the history of those type players and the lack of exposure of those teams.

I would say it would have to be something crazy for it to ever happen, like a guy averages 40 points and 20 rebounds, but his team is 40-42.

Anthem
01-08-2009, 01:03 PM

It was dead silent in there. The Pacers ran off the court and the Suns were still standing under the basket hoping the shot wouldn't count.

The crowd really expected a stop, and overtime. You could tell. Once that shot went in it was like the cone of silence fell over the entire building.

duke dynamite
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Mike produced way better than I expected. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bumped up to 25 minutes Friday night if needed.

MiaDragon
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey guys great win, any thoughts on why Hibbert only saw the floor for 7 mins or so??

tora tora
01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
What a finish... wasn't this the first game winning buzzer beater since Reggie did it in Phoenix too?

Justin Tyme
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Mike produced way better than I expected. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bumped up to 25 minutes Friday night if needed.

I'll be disappointed in JO'B if he plays Dunleavy more than 20 minutes this early after coming back from being out all season. Dun needs to come back slowly. One JO situation was enough.

avoidingtheclowns
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey guys great win, any thoughts on why Hibbert only saw the floor for 7 mins or so??

shaq was out. roy wasn't quick enough to keep up with amare, louis or robin.

Jimmy
01-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Danny's scoring average is now up to 25.8, just .4 away from Dirk's 26.2. I think he'd take that over but with guys getting healthy I think his point production will lessen a little, keeping him around that 5 spot.

OakMoses
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM

He didn't play very well, and the Suns were using Amundson and Amare at PF and C. Hibbert doesn't have the quickness to stay with either of those guys.

As to the "win now", I'm not sure there's a real change in that regard. I think Obie always wants to "win now", but I think that it may appear as such because of a confluence of events: Rush's backslide, Graham's emergence, and Dunleavy's return. I expect to continue to see the 12-18 minutes a night for Hibbert, but I am expect Rush to start seeing some DNP-CD's.

I'm just wondering if we aren't going to see a severely shortened rotation once everybody gets healthy. When Ford, 'Quis, and Dunleavy are all ready to play big minutes, I think both Graham and Rush are hardly ever going to see the floor. If we shorten to an 8-9 man rotation, some guys are going to be left out.

OakMoses
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
What a finish... wasn't this the first game winning buzzer beater since Reggie did it in Phoenix too?

Didn't Ford hit a buzzer-beater in Philly earlier this season?

Do the tip-ins against Houston and LA count?

Justin Tyme
01-08-2009, 01:40 PM

No, Murphy did eariler in the year, and I believe Jack did one not long ago too.

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

While I agree with you somewhat, the argument I believe for most people is that when you play on a bad team, you get an artificially inflated amount of shots and artificially become the focal point of an offense due to "no other options." Thus, your stats go up.

On the other hand, when you play with a better team full of other options, your stats will go down. It's something we've seen often.

Even an all-time elite like Kobe, for instance, has fluctuated from 24 ppg to 35 ppg and now back to "only" 27 ppg depending on the quality of his team over just past six years. I don't believe his actual ability to play basketball has really changed significantly over that time, but his stats have. Another example of a lesser (yet IMO still leadpipe lock Hall of Famer) player is Paul Pierce, whose current numbers are not in line with his earlier averages now that he isn't forced into an overburdened role.

But true elite stars like Kobe, DWade, Dirk, etc. have shown they can be 25-ppg scorers no matter if they are surrounded by a "no other options" roster of garbage or if they are surrounded by a "multiple other options" of greatness (or at least rather goodness). And more importantly, they've done enough things in the Playoffs and had enough "put my team on my back" games in the Playoffs when it really matters to make their regular season, per-game statistics become somewhat meaningless in how we perceive them as elite stars.

Essentially, the argument is that even guys like Rashard Lewis and Antoine Walker have had regular seasons averaging 22-24 ppg and dropping 35-point games with some frequency at their "peaks." But time has shown that neither of those guys were ever truly, truly elite.

And until Danny gets his numbers on a really good team or does some great things in the Playoffs, those subscribing to this argument aren't going to be fully convinced.

(BTW, I'm neither endorsing nor not endorsing the argument. Just putting that out there.)

Justin Tyme
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I haven't seen one post questioning the DNP of McBob. I would have believed McBob could have played well against the Suns in an uptempo game.

count55
01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Didn't Ford hit a buzzer-beater in Philly earlier this season?

Do the tip-ins against Houston and LA count?

LA counts, but Houston got the ball back and missed shots at the end (Yao), as did Philly (Iggy).

count55
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Here are a couple of interesting comments from the Suns fans on the Phoenix RealGM board:

This was part of a discussion of the Suns D:

Then you've got fill-in parts and old guys, none of whom are especially good defensively. Hill has his moments because he's smart and puts in the effort, but against Granger, what did people really expect? Granger's more than a decade younger than Hill, hyper-athletic and a BRUTAL shooter who's got a good mid-range game. Did we really expect him to have a quiet 18-point night on low percentages against us? No, no we didn't. Granger's a filthy scorer and he burned the Suns because that's what he does. The absence of Shaq led to double-digit scoring for Rasho off the bench (and nearly the same from Jeff Foster), but who's responsible for Mike Dunleavy? For Stephen Graham? If it weren't for Diener's 2-9 and 4-10 from Troy Murphy (0-4 under the arc), what would the Pacers have shot? Aside from those two guys, they shot almost 55% FG.

This probably sounds familiar, just substitute "Pacers" for "Suns" and "Some Other Team" for "Pacers":

The last play against Pacers was actually good execution on their end to be honest and not to mention a little bit of luck. Hill who was suppose to be guarding Granger was caught on a pick and Nash had to come out to Granger and challenged him as best as he could. Yeah, this is the 2nd time since X-Mas we got raped by a buzzer-beating 3, but unlike the Mason 3, our guys did their best to stay with shooters. This game came down to Pacers executing the proper play at the right time and we didn't, simple as that.

But I'm sure this sounds both familiar and unfamiliar:

Porter does not need to call a TImeout to tell Nash and AMare to do a pick and roll. The big difference between indiana and the suns.. Indiana played defense. We all knew who was going to get the ball with .9 seconds left and yet HE WAs WIDE OPEN! Thats the secodn time since x-mas.

Interesting to see an outside (or at least opposingly biased) POV.

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
LA counts, but Houston got the ball back and missed shots at the end (Yao), as did Philly (Iggy).

Whether or not what Danny did in Houston was an according to Hoyle walk-off game-winner is insignificant. What is significant is that when he was asked to come up huge in the clutch, he had enough ice in his veins to reverse climate change.

And yesteday makes twice.

count55
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Whether or not what Danny did in Houston was an according to Hoyle walk-off game-winner is insignificant. What is significant is that when he was asked to come up huge in the clutch, he had enough ice in his veins to reverse climate change.

And yesteday makes twice.

Oh, definitely.

I wasn't debating anything about Danny's performance. I thought I was responding to a question about what was, technically, a "buzzer beater".

I consider any shot late in a close game to be a potential game winner. Smits' game winner against the Magic doesn't make the threes made by Reggie and Penny in the 6 seconds prior any less impressive.

Major Cold
01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
The defense is what help stave off the Suns surge. They were more active and Graham really impressed me. It seemed that after the timeout (2:51) we were attacking on offense a little more. This had to be an adjustment by that horrible coaching staff. Besides the winner and Danny's iso to tie we shot only one shot outside of 20 feet (even Danny's iso shot was a 20 footer) I like how we denied Amare, Hill, and J-Rich. But what you don't notice is Steve Nash not even attempting a shot under 3 minutes. Jack made a great effort to eliminate those slip screen threes by Nash. He player great in the final three minutes defensively.

<table style="width: 497px; height: 1149px;" class="tablehead" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:51</td><td colspan="3" align="center">Indiana full timeout</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:51</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">Jason Richardson enters the game for Matt Barnes</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:35</td><td valign="top">Danny Granger misses 14-foot jumper</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:34</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">Jason Richardson defensive rebound</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:24</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">Amare Stoudemire misses 19-foot jumper</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:23</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">Grant Hill offensive rebound</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:09</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">Grant Hill misses 10-foot jumper</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">2:08</td><td valign="top">Danny Granger defensive rebound</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:52</td><td valign="top">Jarrett Jack misses 25-foot three point jumper</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:51</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-102</td><td valign="top">Grant Hill defensive rebound</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:37</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-104</td><td valign="top">Leandro Barbosa makes 7-foot two point shot</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:37</td><td valign="top">Stephen Graham shooting foul (Leandro Barbosa draws the foul)</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-104</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:37</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">106-105</td><td valign="top">Leandro Barbosa makes free throw 1 of 1</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:24</td><td valign="top">Mike Dunleavy makes 8-foot two point shot</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">108-105</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">1:13</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">108-107</td><td valign="top">Amare Stoudemire makes dunk (Leandro Barbosa assists)</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:55</td><td valign="top">Mike Dunleavy bad pass (Jason Richardson steals)</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">108-107</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:45</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">108-110</td><td valign="top">Leandro Barbosa makes three point jumper (Grant Hill assists)</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:45</td><td colspan="3" align="center">Indiana full timeout</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:34</td><td valign="top">Danny Granger makes 20-foot jumper</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">110-110</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:11</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">110-110</td><td valign="top">Amare Stoudemire misses 17-foot jumper</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:11</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">110-110</td><td valign="top">Jason Richardson offensive rebound</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:01</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">110-110</td><td valign="top">Jason Richardson misses 18-foot jumper</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:00</td><td valign="top">Jeff Foster defensive rebound</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">110-110</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:00</td><td colspan="3" align="center">Indiana 20 Sec. timeout</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td valign="top" width="50">0:00</td><td valign="top">Danny Granger makes 28-foot three point jumper (Mike Dunleavy assists)</td><td valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">113-110</td><td valign="top">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

naptownmenace
01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Good article from Kelly Dwyer with Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Behind-the-Box-Score-where-Danny-Granger-turned?urn=nba,132991

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am EST
Behind the Box Score, where Danny Granger turned the tide

By Kelly Dwyer

Indiana 113, Phoenix 110

Skeets had talked about it in passing, but he's not alone, and I was probably one of the worst of the bunch: Danny Granger has far exceeded our expectations.

Blown them out of the water. Destroyed them. I thought he was a nice, hard-working, but limited offensive player in the Richard Jefferson mold. Three-pointers with good finishes and an iffy handle. A smoother Andre Iguodala, with less insistence on shooting his team out of games. He's just obliterated that this year. The guy is sixth in the NBA in 20-point games. He carried the Pacers down the stretch in this win. A real woofer in tweeter's clothing.

And in a league that offers fewer and fewer surprises while still leaving my cheeks hurting from smiling so much, to couple the surprise with the de rigueur level of enjoyment? Thanks, Danny.

37 points, five rebounds, six assists, four steals, and the game-winning three-pointer for Granger in Phoenix on Wednesday. No, we don't think a human can catch a basketball, jump, and release a 26-foot jump shot in .7 of a second (Granger's Pacers had .9 of a second to get a shot off), but that's the way it goes in the NBA. Burns like that happen to every team, Suns fans, and it makes the NBA an engaging watch. Some nights, no matter how restless, you have to live with it. At least you didn't have to grow up with Trent Tucker.

The Suns played well, Steve Nash took over for a spell, but the Pacers were ready for Amar'e Stoudemire, unlike last time. The Pacers just refused to let Amar'e get good spacing for the face-up jumper, and most screen and rolls ended with either Jeff Foster or Stephen Graham (Graham was terrific with his help) getting in front of Stoudemire with arms raised, preventing as much as you can attempt to prevent with a monster like Amar'e.

23 and 11 for Stoudemire, but he turned the ball over five times, and missed 12 of 19 shots.

Nice to see the Pacers finally win a close one. There is quite a bit to like about this team.

count55
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
But what you don't notice is Steve Nash not even attempting a shot under 3 minutes. Jack made a great effort to eliminate those slip screen threes by Nash. He player great in the final three minutes defensively.

There were three shots late in the third and early in the fourth that Nash made that were the type that you knew were going in when he picked up his dribble.

I watched very closely the rest of the way, and Jack did a fantastic job of maintaining contact with Nash and taking away that pull up that makes Steve so deadly. I really agree that JJ was a big factor late against Nash.

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
But what you don't notice is Steve Nash not even attempting a shot under 3 minutes.

Why would he bother when we leave Barbosa wide open on every possession?

count55
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Why would he bother when we leave Barbosa wide open on every possession?

Honestly, I'd rather take my chances with Barbosa. (And that foul on Graham for the And-1 could not possibly have been cheaper...unless it was like the one on Junior when he was lying prone (after being run over by Amare) on the floor and Hill jumped over him for the lay up.)

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Honestly, I'd rather take my chances with Barbosa.

Of course.

Just saying that Nash has always been a "I suppose I'll go win this game myself if I need to" type of guy moreso than "give me the ball and get out of my way" type of dude.

Give Jack some credit certainly since Nash is willing to call his own number if that's the best opportunity for his team to score, but since Barbosa was wide open most of the time, he really never needed to force the action anyway.

Anthem
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I haven't seen one post questioning the DNP of McBob. I would have believed McBob could have played well against the Suns in an uptempo game.
Are we sure Bob got a DNP? I thought he got about a minute at the end of the first half. I remember commenting on him in the game thread.

count55
01-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Are we sure Bob got a DNP? I thought he got about a minute at the end of the first half. I remember commenting on him in the game thread.

Box score shows a DNP-CD.

deekay85
01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Great, great W!!!
Danny was amazing. IMO The best SF (behind Le Travel of course) in the NBA right now.
Love what Jack did yesterday. Very solid as a starter overall. Better we start Jack ahead of Ford. Ford is underachieving this season.
Graham shows his game. Against Denver, too. More please!
RAsho hat a nice game. Got tough buckets in the paint.
Murph got 4 3- pointers in the third!! LOL Nobody guarded him!

Yeah, and of course a lot of credit for Dun'. Nice one! We needed his game a lot.
Let's now concentrate on the lakers!

I hope we can win this one, too. But it'll be tough. Cause they want revenge for the tough loss against us...
we'll see...

Anthem
01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Box score shows a DNP-CD.
Anybody record the game? I'm almost positive McBob got a tiny bit of burn at the end of the first. Foster was in foul trouble, IIRC. Do they show the total time played if it's under a minute? Just a possession or so?

CableKC
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I wanted to post my initial comments on the game.

<< START OF RANT >>

I wasn't able to watch the entire game as it was going on live......so I tried to avoid the ESPN and watch the results on NBATV Gametime. For the ENTIRE NIGHT I couldn't catch any Recap on that show....which drove me FRAKKIN NUTS....they just continually ran interviews with Dwight Howard and George/Koby Carl :banghead:. I tried watching SportsCenter, but I couldn't watch it long enough to see the highlights. I eventually found out ( on the News crawler on the bottom of the screen that I was trying so hard to hide and ignore ) that the Pacers won by 3. Despite all of my efforts, I couldn't watch the entire Recap of the game since yesterday night and into this morning until 15 minutes ago on NBA.com. I know...this has nothing to really do with the game itself, I just wanted to vent. Seriously, NBA Gametime sometimes sucks big time....I just wanted to watch a frakkin Recap of the only game that I really cared about that night and they just showed recaps of the top teams and then did some 10 minute interview with George and Koby Carl. Okay, I'm off my ledge now.

<< END OF RANT >>

When I finally looked through the Game-Thread, I saw 1.5 pages of everyone celebrating in amazement as Granger hit that 3pt shot to win it with .9 seconds left. I'm guessing that there were some serious defensive issues that we messed up on....but I'm glad that this happened and how most of us reacted....this is something that us die-hard Pacers fans really need. It's not a signal that we are over any proverbial "hump", but at least we are pointed in the right direction, that there is some glimmer of hope for us and that the Basketball Gods don't always p*ss on our parade.

But honestly, for now....without reading too many of your Post-Game comments.....I don't really care.....we won a game that most of us probably didn't think we would win and we got a pretty good performance from Dunleavy on his 1st day back at the job.

JayRedd
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM

I remember you saying that at one point and wondering what you were talking about.

I can see how you'd be confused since we did have the 4/5 white wash out there for a little bit.

duke dynamite
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Well said, cable.

duke dynamite
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Anybody record the game? I'm almost positive McBob got a tiny bit of burn at the end of the first. Foster was in foul trouble, IIRC. Do they show the total time played if it's under a minute? Just a possession or so?
I know, I could've sworn I heard Ms. Dukie yell "McBob!" a couple of times during that time frame.

count55
01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I wanted to post my initial comments on the game.

<< START OF RANT >>

I wasn't able to watch the entire game as it was going on live......so I tried to avoid the ESPN and watch the results on NBATV Gametime. For the ENTIRE NIGHT I couldn't catch any Recap on that show....which drove me FRAKKIN NUTS....they just continually ran interviews with Dwight Howard and George/Koby Carl :banghead:. I tried watching SportsCenter, but I couldn't watch it long enough to see the highlights. I eventually found out ( on the News crawler on the bottom of the screen that I was trying so hard to hide and ignore ) that the Pacers won by 3. Despite all of my efforts, I couldn't watch the entire Recap of the game since yesterday night and into this morning until 15 minutes ago on NBA.com. I know...this has nothing to really do with the game itself, I just wanted to vent. Seriously, NBA Gametime sometimes sucks big time....I just wanted to watch a frakkin Recap of the only game that I really cared about that night and they just showed recaps of the top teams and then did some 10 minute interview with George and Koby Carl. Okay, I'm off my ledge now.

<< END OF RANT >>

Yeah, I had been flipping back and forth between NBATV and the Blazers/Pistons game, then got sidetracked on a commercial, thinking it was NBA, then discovering it was the Blazers/Pistons game. I flipped back to NBATV, and they were talking to the Karls, so I figured I missed the highlights and turned the TV off.

When I finally looked through the Game-Thread, I saw 1.5 pages of everyone celebrating in amazement as Granger hit that 3pt shot to win it with .9 seconds left. I'm guessing that there were some serious defensive issues that we messed up on....but I'm glad that this happened and how most of us reacted....this is something that us die-hard Pacers fans really need. It's not a signal that we are over any proverbial "hump", but at least we are pointed in the right direction, that there is some glimmer of hope for us and that the Basketball Gods don't always p*ss on our parade.

But honestly, for now....without reading too many of your Post-Game comments.....I don't really care.....we won a game that most of us probably didn't think we would win and we got a pretty good performance from Dunleavy on his 1st day back at the job.

As to the serious defensive issues, there were lapses, but we only gave up 24 points in the fourth. The lead went away because we settled for too many long threes and went cold in the fourth. There was a stretch from the 7:13 mark to the 4:48 mark where Diener missed three straight threes (badly), Danny missed one, and Jack missed a 21 footer...resulting in the lead dropping from 11 to 3.

duke dynamite
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
No, Murphy did eariler in the year, and I believe Jack did one not long ago too.
Murphy - vs. LAL (Tip-in)
Ford - vs. PHI
Jack - vs. NYK (Last week.)
Granger - vs. PHX

CableKC
01-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I had been flipping back and forth between NBATV and the Blazers/Pistons game, then got sidetracked on a commercial, thinking it was NBA, then discovering it was the Blazers/Pistons game. I flipped back to NBATV, and they were talking to the Karls, so I figured I missed the highlights and turned the TV off.
Seriously, they were interviewing George and Koby Carl for 10+ minutes. It sounded more like some Little League Dad praising his kid for hitting the game-winning home-run. I mean, really? NBA TV couldn't focus on games played instead of interviewing a player that played 15 minutes in the NBA and is now playing in the D-League?

That really irritated me.

As to the serious defensive issues, there were lapses, but we only gave up 24 points in the fourth. The lead went away because we settled for too many long threes and went cold in the fourth. There was a stretch from the 7:13 mark to the 4:48 mark where Diener missed three straight threes (badly), Danny missed one, and Jack missed a 21 footer...resulting in the lead dropping from 11 to 3.
So....we basically did what we always do....we hit a dry spell and lost a decent lead going into the 4th. Oh well, we won and Danny got on the top 10 of some highlight reel. :buddies:

BKK
01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
maybe this has been discussed but question: how was the officiating for those of you who watched the game?

I have watched the recap on nba.com and I see Jeff take what appears to be a charge twice (with an and one) but I cannot have a close view or another angle so what's your opinion on that and officiating in the game?

anyway great win, Danny definitely shows superstar potential these days and I hope he gest some more recognition soon :)

OakMoses
01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
maybe this has been discussed but question: how was the officiating for those of you who watched the game?

Check out this thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=43719

El Pacero
01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
CableKC, don't be a downer just cause you couldn't watch the game, it was a great game and great effort by the Pacers. You missed out.

BKK
01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=43719

CableKC
01-08-2009, 05:37 PM

I have watched the recap on nba.com and I see Jeff take what appears to be a charge twice (with an and one) but I cannot have a close view or another angle so what's your opinion on that and officiating in the game?
Yep, I saw that same recap. All of Amare's highlights involve him driving to the hoop while running into Foster ( with him taking the charge....offensive or not ) and Dunleavy doing the same.

I don't know if it's poor officiating.....but I can't see how ALL of his "drive to the hoop and then getting a 'and 1'" being legit.

CableKC
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM
CableKC, don't be a downer just cause you couldn't watch the game, it was a great game and great effort by the Pacers. You missed out.
Although it would have been cool to watch the game winning shot live, I'm not disappointed cuz of that....I was just irritated that I couldn't find any game recaps on ESPN or NBA Gametime on NBATV. Whenever I miss a game, I like to watch the recap on TV without prior knowledge of the outcome ( like everyone else ). The problem was that I couldn't find any recap on TV. I gave up watching the same shows after 11:30pm PST and couldn't even catch it in the morning before work. I know...it's stupid to complain about this....but after finding out that we won on a Game-winning last .9 second shot by Granger....and I couldn't really see it until I logged into the computer at work the next day...I just had to vent.

I've moved on.....right now, I'm basking in the light of Granger's last second win.:dance:

dlewyus
01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Anyone have a link to the box score for this game? I can't find it on Pacers.com

count55
01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Anyone have a link to the box score for this game? I can't find it on Pacers.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290107021

dlewyus
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290107021

Thank you very much, Count. :buddies:

count55
01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you very much, Count. :buddies:

:cheers: