PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs: Going out strong?

Hicks
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Last night the first two new episodes of Scrubs aired on ABC (yes, they've moved if you didn't know).

Before watching them, I browsed their website, and in a video segment with the show's creator Bill Lawrence (I think is his name?), he talked about his focus for what could very well be the last year of the show (and I'm reading either way will be Zach Braff's final year, so no more JD).

He said that he felt the last season (or so?) on NBC wasn't the best the show could be (and he'd be right IMO), and that he wanted to bring it to ABC so that he could take the show back to its roots and go out as good as ever. He said that meant less (I forget his term so I'll pick one) over-the-top or really "out there" humor, and more drama, as the show was (more or less) it's first couple or so years.

After watching the first two episodes of season 8, I have to say that I think they're on the right track to do what Lawrence wants to do with the end of the show. I did feel more like I was watching a season 2 episode rather than a season 7 episode, and it felt like a better show again as a result.

Anyone else watch? I hope it carries this throughout the season because I think if it does it really will go out strong.

travmil
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm a huge fan of Scrubs. I wasn't able to catch last night's episodes, but if what you are saying is true it's a very good thing IMO. I don't suppose you know where I might be able to see those episodes from last night do you?

Hicks
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I do not, but I know that for a while abc has had a website (I don't have the link) where they stream episodes of shows of theirs that have of course already aired. You might google that. I wouldn't be shocked if they're online by now or tomorrow.

Suaveness
01-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes, though certainly the 2nd one was a little depressing.

Unclebuck
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I am not a fan of the over-the-top humor that the show has become the past few seasons. Because of that I decided not to watch last night, but maybe I'll give it another chance.

I originally liked the show because while it was funny - I also really liked the characters and at times it was very dramatic with often very real emotions.

So maybe I'll give the show another try

Hicks
01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd seek out the first two episodes online if I were you, UB. I think you'll like it better than the last NBC season

rexnom
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I just watched em. It's fantastic. I haven't laughed so much watching Scrubs since season 5. My favorite character so far is the new intern Ed ("All three Matrix movies, one house...you in?").

I never loved the janitor so I'm fine with seeing less of him. And Courtney Cox is great.

JayRedd
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
We always go out strong.

rexnom
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
We always go out strong.
Scrubs like you?

JayRedd
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes. TLC is not a fan.

Major Cold
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok...The Janitor gone...hated it...

And where is The Todd? All in all I liked it. I have a feeling it will be on JD and Turk for most of the season. That means Elliot and Jon Dorian may not be the focus like I thought the show would end. And I am fine with that. They are so incompatible.

BTW the sound tracks for this show are really good.

SoupIsGood
01-08-2009, 06:20 AM
I thought those two episodes were really bad, and I'm a fan of both the later over-the-top stuff and the earlier seasons. They just felt really lackluster, and not that funny. I really hope it picks up, or else I think I might just tune out this season.

N8R
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I didnt even know they were coming back. I remember reading that they might but all of a sudden there are two episodes that I had to get from online cause I didnt even know it was starting up again.

I dont like the Janitor being gone and I hope he comes back. He is one of my favourite characters.

I liked both of these episodes but honestly there hadnt been an episode of the show that I dont like. It is just one of those shows for me that I dont care what happens I just want to see more. i will watch this show until it officially shuts down.

rexnom
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I didnt even know they were coming back. I remember reading that they might but all of a sudden there are two episodes that I had to get from online cause I didnt even know it was starting up again.

I dont like the Janitor being gone and I hope he comes back. He is one of my favourite characters.

I liked both of these episodes but honestly there hadnt been an episode of the show that I dont like. It is just one of those shows for me that I dont care what happens I just want to see more. i will watch this show until it officially shuts down.
Ok, this is ridiculous.

Either the Janitor is your favorite character or the Janitour is your favourite character. We're not asking you guys to change, all we ask for is consistency. That's all.

travmil
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
It won't be the same without The Todd of Dr. Jan Itor. Does anyone know if they are out for good or not?

Major Cold
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Well Dr. Kelso left last season but he is making a few cameos. And Cox is only on board for three episodes, so the new COM may not notice if The Janitor slips back on staff.

My guess is that they canned him to draw this type of response. Re-Talking about the show is great marketing.

SoupIsGood
01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Janitor is going to be back.

Christ, I thought you meant a different Cox, at first.

duke dynamite
01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Ok, this is ridiculous.

Either the Janitor is your favorite character or the Janitour is your favourite character. We're not asking you guys to change, all we ask for is consistency. That's all.
Leave it to the Canadians to screuw things up.

N8R
01-09-2009, 06:17 AM
You wiush you could throuw aull theu euxtrau U's iun your wourds. Janitor doesn't have a U but Favourite does and so does Flavour.

Major Cold
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Janitor is going to be back.

Christ, I thought you meant a different Cox, at first.

My bad....Courtney Cox (not Perry).

Skaut_Ech
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I am not a fan of the over-the-top humor that the show has become the past few seasons. Because of that I decided not to watch last night, but maybe I'll give it another chance.

I originally liked the show because while it was funny - I also really liked the characters and at times it was very dramatic with often very real emotions.

So maybe I'll give the show another try

Listen to Hicks, UB. I thought last season SUCKED for the same reason you said, but ended up watching just cause my wife loves the show. It looks like this season will be an improvement. Feels a bit more streamlined. The second episode showed the heart thatt made me like the show in the frist place. The first episode back was a bit strained, but I'm pretty forgiving on any first episode as they try to get their footing. It may be worth your while to give it a try again.

travmil
01-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I watched the two new episodes that aired earlier tonight. They weren't as good as the first two but they were both better than anything that aired last season. Oh, and my fears about The Todd and Dr. Jan Itor were unfounded.

N8R
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I just finished watching them and I liked em both. Like I said before I have liked all of it. I just like the characters and they can do anything. Season 7 was the worst one by far though, I mean the finale from last year when it was the wizard of oz or whatever was a very terrible episode, unless i missed another final one?

rexnom
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Loved the last two episodes as well. I love me some Jimmy the touchy-feely orderly. However, I'm a bit disappointed that there was no Ed the intern.

travmil
01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Loved the last two episodes as well. I love me some Jimmy the touchy-feely orderly. However, I'm a bit disappointed that there was no Ed the intern.

My feeling is that they are going to build up Ed the intern just in case there is a 9th season. They know that Braff is leaving, and Ed is probably most likely to slide in there and be Turk's sidekick if needed.

ajbry
01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I've liked all four thus far, and the last one (My Happy Place) is easily one of the best episodes in Scrubs history...

ilive4sports
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I've always been a huge Scrubs fan and am very glad ABC picked the show up so it will get its proper ending. Im not a huge fan on the new interns really. Seems to be filler mostly. But the storyline so far this year has been very strong and well they are back to the real Scrubs comedy, not that season 7 disaster.

SoupIsGood
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
So, this season is great.